Canadian Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

Strong Organization
Truck Driver / Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2017
Excellent organization. Growing pains like any other charity. However opportunity to work with flexible management and understanding staff. Overall an intense work schedule with little room for personal life. Not a career I would recommend to anyone unless they have the same workaholic perspective. Good fit for individuals that seek a business oriented goals driven environment and need little acknowledgement or reassurance.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Canada11 January 2017
Was Volunteering for Canadian Diabetes Association and working as administrative assistant. Typically day at work includes checking with the supervisor what needs to be done first and then following activities including listings , data entry, cash and credit card transactions, filling up data and other small admin jobs
ASSOCIATE PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2016
Easy way to be able to make a difference in society. Great chance to be able to meet with individuals who care about a very serious cause but difficult to interact with Senior Managers.
Would work again.
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Canada17 January 2017
worked as a counselor and loved every day. Always friendly and easy to work for. Would work again. We provided a positive enviroment for children to grow and learn
Educative
Food Skills Trainer - Contract - (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 June 2016
Spending time with clients, learning about them, their cultures/beliefs

Encouraging them to try different things, think for themselves, expand themselves, trust what they know, network among themselves and their social groups

Educating on nutrition and food issues, how to cook, meal planning, etc
Pros
Clients get to cook and try different foods
Cons
Program needs to be updated, made healthier
enjoy seeing parts of city
Truck Driver road side pickup (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 June 2016
driving around picking up good used furniture and clothing
hardest part was meeting the quota required for the day
physically taxing the body
most enjoyable part would have been the opportunity to be out driving throughout the city and/or county
Cons
hard physical demand on body
This place is a dump!!!!!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2016
I worked here for 4 years and I have to say in my 30 years of working I have never worked in an environment that is soooo toxic and full of political games. The organizations is full of people either trying to fly under the radar to hold on to their jobs or kissing as much butt as they can to hold there jobs. The staff are all grossly under paid and have completely unrealistic goals forced on them. The most assuming part about this is the CEO likes to send out emails to all the staff calling them family....... If this is how you treat your family well good luck to you. IF YOU HAVE ANY SENSE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you will be used and abused and tossed out the door
Pros
Quitting Time
Cons
Having to show up in the morning
Secure, Go-nowhere Jobs.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 August 2015
Unless you get a job with the head office crew, you'll likely be overworked, unpaid, and go completely unappreciated while getting daily emails about how the folks upstairs are so awesome they're getting another half-day off.
Pros
Job Security, Joy-joy Feelings from being a Do-gooder
Cons
Absurdly Long Hours, Sub-standard Pay, Benefits that cost more than they do for you, Zero Appreciation
Hard, honest work with flexible hours
Driver's Helper (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS23 June 2015
My typical day started at around 7:00 AM. The workload included lifting large steel drop boxes and placing them at certain locations. also moving thousands of pounds of clothing, furniture, and misc. items. The workday didn't end until the job was done but no longer than 14 hours.The work was honest and physically demanding.
Pros
Good pay, workout
Cons
long drives, long days
Productive and meaningful volunteer experience
OFFICE ASSISTANT (VOLUNTEER) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 May 2015
Although my job as an office assistant at the Canadian Diabetes Association is a volunteer work, this job has taught me to be patient and to love my job even if it is not paid. The management and my co-workers are such nice ladies that they make me feel at home and important whenever I go. The most enjoyable part about the job is knowing that you have helped the organization and the CDA branch with their needs in the simplest way possible.
Pros
Learning a lot from being an office assistant
Cons
Slow network making it hard for data entry hard
Flexibility with work hours and great team environment
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2014
In my role as an Accounts Payable Coordinator, I have the opportunity to work within a team environment that allows me to learn from and motivate my team members, whether it comes to dealing with daily volume of work or just a moral boost in order to achieve our targeted goals and objectives.

This role has helped me improve my skill in prioritizing tasks more efficiently and foreseeing volume and taking measures pro-actively in order to work through the volume of payables smoothly.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Lack of growth opportunities
great environment
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON21 October 2013
It was a summer job. My supervisor was great and I was always productive and had work to do. The co- workers were positive, and the most enjoyable part of the job was running the office as my supervisor was out some of the time in meetings. The environment was overall interesting because I learned the behind the scenes work of the office and all the things that go into the annual events.
Pros
my boss was very positive and trusted me with the office work
Cons
it was only a summer job
An amazing Canadian Experience
Communication Officer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2014
I great experience, that gave me valuable insights to Canadian work force and help me gain the confidence that I can fit in this work/office environment.

I touched my heart out to be able to give to an organization who value and commence a lot for the local community. It is not explainable in words how dedicated the staff and board and the executive members are. If I have employment or advancement opportunity, I would love to stick with them. Moreover, I learnt a lot about diabetes.

I my work was also study related, given that it is still a volunteer position but I now have to education and practical experience in my field of interest and study,
Pros
Friendly environment, Understanding Staff
Cons
A comfortable fast paced environment with important goals.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario8 September 2012
A typical day on this job consisted of filing and answering phone calls from donors honoring those with Diabetes alive or deceased. The management team was helpful but firm and offered good advice and options to learn. The hardest part of the job would be filing the donated checks with large amounts of money, being careful not to enter incorrect numbers.
worked from home which worked for me at the time.
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 February 2015
I found that when I reported a problem/concern from some of our clients who were kind enough to donate to us were not taken seriously. I also felt the company wasnt to worried about the customer as much as the all mighty dollar.....
Pros
work from home
Cons
communication from supervisors was not handled properly.
Valuable work but not fairly compensated employees and very little room for advancement
Operations/ Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2012
I learned operations management and logisitics control of 8 3 tonne cube vans and how to supply a quota to Value Village. I learned many skills of marketing, union management, time management, HR, OH&S and many others.
Pros
good cause
Cons
no appreciation
Nice people around
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2015
Nice people around but management is not clear in what and how to achieve. Without defined SOPs, workers are left on their own to do their work without any directions.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Lack of direction and no written procedures and training
Friendly environment consisting of repetitive tasks and productivity
Customer Service Agent- Part Time (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2012
A typical day at work in this organization entails outbound call center operations and duties to donors across Canada, in search of donations of clothing and household items. These calls are handled through an average six hour shift, with a half hour break in between. In this position I learned to use CCDS systems which take residential home numbers and allow outbound calls to take place. As well, I was able to learn key issues facing not-for-profit organizations (like the CDA), and how heavily they rely on charity donations to keep running for their specific causes. Management style is task-based as opposed to a leadership style encouraging innovation and advancement. Although sometimes the tasks appear strenuous, the environment of friendly coworkers allows for a pleasant time spent while at work.
"Drivers Wanted" permanently printed on each truck – wonder why?
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2016
The following paragraphs are based on my own experience as a part-time, on-call driver for the Clothesline Programme, and are meant to prepare prospective employees for this position:

– Workweek regularly exceeds 50 hours, where 12-hr shifts are not uncommon. This, while being classified as a part-time worker (i.e., no benefits; no stability);
– Frequently, two or three truckloads of garbage bags full of used clothes, shoes, etc. (totalling 8000 Lbs or more!) need to be transferred in the course of a day as a matter of course;
– Goods are generally dropped off at various Value Village stores in Ottawa, where store managers' attitude towards drivers is unbelievably disrespectful;
– The clothesline operation seems to be based on the presumption that no one would stay in this position for long, and that there would always be a hundred fools out there vying for it for anyone who quits or gets fired, hence:
– Drivers are regularly fired, instantly and callously, with no warning, for any minor incident, however trivial and however irrelevant to the driver's attitude towards safety;
– Dismissal of drivers is conducted according to a protocol which seems to be based on the notion that drivers are simple, potentially violent individuals. It is a humiliating, degrading experience that would haunt one for a long time.
Pros
Customers are generally pleasant and respectful.
Cons
Work terms and conditions for drivers, and management attitude towards drivers.
refined 5-ton driving skills
truck driver (Former Employee) –  toronto30 July 2015
great interaction with great people, gained valuable knowledge of trucks. learned streets of toronto.

This was a great learning experience. it is demanding onthe body but a great workout.

2.8