Canadian Diabetes Association Employee Reviews in Canada

enjoy seeing parts of city
Truck Driver road side pickup (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 14, 2016
driving around picking up good used furniture and clothing
hardest part was meeting the quota required for the day
physically taxing the body
most enjoyable part would have been the opportunity to be out driving throughout the city and/or county
Cons
hard physical demand on body
"Drivers Wanted" permanently printed on each truck – wonder why?
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 18, 2016
The following paragraphs are based on my own experience as a part-time, on-call driver for the Clothesline Programme, and are meant to prepare prospective employees for this position:

– Workweek regularly exceeds 50 hours, where 12-hr shifts are not uncommon. This, while being classified as a part-time worker (i.e., no benefits; no stability);
– Frequently, two or three truckloads of garbage bags full of used clothes, shoes, etc. (totalling 8000 Lbs or more!) need to be transferred in the course of a day as a matter of course;
– Goods are generally dropped off at various Value Village stores in Ottawa, where store managers' attitude towards drivers is unbelievably disrespectful;
– The clothesline operation seems to be based on the presumption that no one would stay in this position for long, and that there would always be a hundred fools out there vying for it for anyone who quits or gets fired, hence:
– Drivers are regularly fired, instantly and callously, with no warning, for any minor incident, however trivial and however irrelevant to the driver's attitude towards safety;
– Dismissal of drivers is conducted according to a protocol which seems to be based on the notion that drivers are simple, potentially violent individuals. It is a humiliating, degrading experience that would haunt one for a long time.
Pros
Customers are generally pleasant and respectful.
Cons
Work terms and conditions for drivers, and management attitude towards drivers.
This place is a dump!!!!!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I worked here for 4 years and I have to say in my 30 years of working I have never worked in an environment that is soooo toxic and full of political games. The organizations is full of people either trying to fly under the radar to hold on to their jobs or kissing as much butt as they can to hold there jobs. The staff are all grossly under paid and have completely unrealistic goals forced on them. The most assuming part about this is the CEO likes to send out emails to all the staff calling them family....... If this is how you treat your family well good luck to you. IF YOU HAVE ANY SENSE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you will be used and abused and tossed out the door
Pros
Quitting Time
Cons
Having to show up in the morning
Secure, Go-nowhere Jobs.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 27, 2015
Unless you get a job with the head office crew, you'll likely be overworked, unpaid, and go completely unappreciated while getting daily emails about how the folks upstairs are so awesome they're getting another half-day off.
Pros
Job Security, Joy-joy Feelings from being a Do-gooder
Cons
Absurdly Long Hours, Sub-standard Pay, Benefits that cost more than they do for you, Zero Appreciation
Small facility, helpful people
Summer job (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 14, 2015
People are helpful, and encouraging, not always provide positive critisim, but one can only learn from what is provided to them. The community is great, and wonderful to work with.
refined 5-ton driving skills
truck driver (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 30, 2015
great interaction with great people, gained valuable knowledge of trucks. learned streets of toronto.

This was a great learning experience. it is demanding onthe body but a great workout.
Hard, honest work with flexible hours
Driver's Helper (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 23, 2015
My typical day started at around 7:00 AM. The workload included lifting large steel drop boxes and placing them at certain locations. also moving thousands of pounds of clothing, furniture, and misc. items. The workday didn't end until the job was done but no longer than 14 hours.The work was honest and physically demanding.
Pros
Good pay, workout
Cons
long drives, long days
Nice people around
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2015
Nice people around but management is not clear in what and how to achieve. Without defined SOPs, workers are left on their own to do their work without any directions.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Lack of direction and no written procedures and training
Productive and meaningful volunteer experience
OFFICE ASSISTANT (VOLUNTEER) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 12, 2015
Although my job as an office assistant at the Canadian Diabetes Association is a volunteer work, this job has taught me to be patient and to love my job even if it is not paid. The management and my co-workers are such nice ladies that they make me feel at home and important whenever I go. The most enjoyable part about the job is knowing that you have helped the organization and the CDA branch with their needs in the simplest way possible.
Pros
Learning a lot from being an office assistant
Cons
Slow network making it hard for data entry hard
worked from home which worked for me at the time.
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 5, 2015
I found that when I reported a problem/concern from some of our clients who were kind enough to donate to us were not taken seriously. I also felt the company wasnt to worried about the customer as much as the all mighty dollar.....
Pros
work from home
Cons
communication from supervisors was not handled properly.
Fun place, nice people to work with
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 23, 2014
Nice, warm and friendly environment. always room for advancement
Amazing place to work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2014
Great people, amazing experience. Lots of skills gained. Met lots of different people.
cozy work environment with a cubicle or office
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  regina saskSeptember 16, 2014
The position is very self-determined, and hardly monitored by supervisor. Must do a lot of your own, develop your work schedule for presentations and work around the organization. Very enlightening and fun.
productive and fun working place
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  timmins OnMay 14, 2014
excellent management
great team
8;30 to 4 Monday to friday
the volounteers and are the greatest part of this job.
Cons
contract ending very soon
Good Job, but lots of changes needed
Pick-up Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2014
It is an overall pretty good job, but there is lots of pressure from management, more then what is needed, and they try to micromanage, which is not an effective way of running a business.
work from home
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 19, 2014
telephone marketing calling customers for household items donations.
Slave Labour
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, On.February 23, 2014
Ridiculous workload. Items for pickup should be on curbside NOT front door, too much time wasted walking. For a young and stupid guy only.
Pros
out in fresh air
Cons
everything else.
An amazing Canadian Experience
Communication Officer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
I great experience, that gave me valuable insights to Canadian work force and help me gain the confidence that I can fit in this work/office environment.

I touched my heart out to be able to give to an organization who value and commence a lot for the local community. It is not explainable in words how dedicated the staff and board and the executive members are. If I have employment or advancement opportunity, I would love to stick with them. Moreover, I learnt a lot about diabetes.

I my work was also study related, given that it is still a volunteer position but I now have to education and practical experience in my field of interest and study,
Pros
friendly environment, understanding staff
Flexibility with work hours and great team environment
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2014
In my role as an Accounts Payable Coordinator, I have the opportunity to work within a team environment that allows me to learn from and motivate my team members, whether it comes to dealing with daily volume of work or just a moral boost in order to achieve our targeted goals and objectives.

This role has helped me improve my skill in prioritizing tasks more efficiently and foreseeing volume and taking measures pro-actively in order to work through the volume of payables smoothly.
Pros
team spirit
Cons
lack of growth opportunities
Brutal Work loads for drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
I worked here over 3 years part-time and full- time when it was actually owned and run by the Canadian Diabetes Association. For over a year now it has exchanged ownership and calls itself National Diabetes Trust. Drivers are unionised, rules are not followed and management plays favorites with routes and scheduling. Logistic and people skills are weak on side of management. Names are commonly whited out on route sheets to favor other drivers. Work loads have increased considerably since the take over by NDT. Perks drivers had before are now gone now. No incentive for doing routes quickly.
You will be expected to finish your routes or you will be in trouble or treated indifferent. Severe weather conditions are ignored. Routes are made up in Toronto and sent to Alberta, each province has different pickup rules. Be prepared to have your spiel ready for disgruntled customers you can't pick up, you will be using it a lot.
The trucks are all rented with maintenance being very poor. eg. Tires falling off, brakes and engines failing. Be prepared to spend time taken away from doing your route wasted at the front desk of the rental and service desk. You will be filling out service reports and renting different vehicles. You must also fill out a separate truck inspection report after. Depending on the office politics at that time you could be blamed for what goes wrong with the truck you were driving and your report scrutinized.
If you are a driver a typical day starts unloading donated bags of cloth and miscellaneous boxed items weighing anywhere from 10-70 lbs off of a 4-5 ton truck,
  more... by yourself. Each loaded truck can weigh from 3,500 to 8,000 lbs. The times it will take you to unload the truck at one of the 3 store locations will be anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Most store locations where you will off load are staffed by slow and underpaid employees who do not care or hurry to help and assist you to unload the truck.
After off loading your truck you will have a route sheet to pick up from 30-110 houses and bins, each house can have 1-50, or more items. Clothing bin locations within and outside the city can house anywhere from 1-100 garbage bags full of cloth and sharp items with added garbage dumped outside of bins. Hoarders at many locations reach into the bins with clothes hangers and rip open bags to steal cloth and you can expect to spend 5-60 minutes rebagging loose cloth and garbage. All donation bins are beacons for people to leave their garbage beside the bins. It will be your job also to remove and haul the garbage off to the dump. Garbage from these locations can be broken glass, dishwashers, wall units, tv's , mattress's, etc.
It will also be your job to hand out "Thank you" and "Sorry we missed you cards" at each of the 100 or more houses they will send you for pick up. It will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling knowing your helping leaving a "Thank you card" at the house that just left you a driveway full of 100 boxes and bags in sub zero or extreme heat temperatures. Handing out these cards is part of the job that will get to you eventually.
To this date no driver has made it or could ever make it to collect the pension that is offered to you after two years of full time employment. Injuries are high at this job because of the dangers you will regularly run into, so you must be extremely careful to look after yourself. You do not want to have to make injury claim here. Broken ankles, shoulder, knees, tendonitis, elbows, back injuries, hernia's, heart attack or stroke are to name a few and can happen doing your duties.
You must like to work and be fit lifting heavy objects in extreme heat and or freezing cold temperatures and you will be getting in and out of a truck over 200 times a day. The exercise is great but tainted with overwork and the recovery is minimal with only 2 days off. You will always be sore.
You will be also be responsible for any tickets incurred (eg.distracted driving) if you are caught by law reading your map and or doing paperwork that is required by management to do your job properly. This job is not for the weak of heart. Many of the drivers miss bins and houses and you will have to pick up what they didn't because of their attitude. Only 2 swampers for over 9 drivers who are only sent out with complaining favorites and the injured. Money is ok but the wage is capped because it is a charity. It does not match the work they want you to do. I'm glad I no longer work there and now feel much healthier.I suggest part time to see if you like it first. Dynamics will change as soon as your full time and work loads will increase.
Pros
driving alone.
Cons
heavy work loads. wage doesn't match your pay. management plays favorites

2.8