Canadian Diabetes Association

Canadian Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Amazing place to work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2014
Great people, amazing experience. Lots of skills gained. Met lots of different people.
cozy work environment with a cubicle or office
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee), regina saskSeptember 16, 2014
The position is very self-determined, and hardly monitored by supervisor. Must do a lot of your own, develop your work schedule for presentations and work around the organization. Very enlightening and fun.
productive and fun working place
Receptionist (Current Employee), timmins OnMay 14, 2014
Cons: contract ending very soon
excellent management
great team
8;30 to 4 Monday to friday
the volounteers and are the greatest part of this job.
Good Job, but lots of changes needed
Pick-up Driver (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2014
It is an overall pretty good job, but there is lots of pressure from management, more then what is needed, and they try to micromanage, which is not an effective way of running a business.
work from home
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 19, 2014
telephone marketing calling customers for household items donations.
Slave Labour
Driver (Former Employee), Cambridge, On.February 23, 2014
Pros: out in fresh air
Cons: everything else.
Ridiculous workload. Items for pickup should be on curbside NOT front door, too much time wasted walking. For a young and stupid guy only.
An amazing Canadian Experience
Communication Officer (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, understanding staff
I great experience, that gave me valuable insights to Canadian work force and help me gain the confidence that I can fit in this work/office environment.

I touched my heart out to be able to give to an organization who value and commence a lot for the local community. It is not explainable in words how dedicated the staff and board and the executive – more... members are. If I have employment or advancement opportunity, I would love to stick with them. Moreover, I learnt a lot about diabetes.

I my work was also study related, given that it is still a volunteer position but I now have to education and practical experience in my field of interest and study, – less
Flexibility with work hours and great team environment
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: team spirit
Cons: lack of growth opportunities
In my role as an Accounts Payable Coordinator, I have the opportunity to work within a team environment that allows me to learn from and motivate my team members, whether it comes to dealing with daily volume of work or just a moral boost in order to achieve our targeted goals and objectives.

This role has helped me improve my skill in prioritizing – more... tasks more efficiently and foreseeing volume and taking measures pro-actively in order to work through the volume of payables smoothly. – less
Brutal Work loads for drivers
Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: driving alone.
Cons: heavy work loads. wage doesn't match your pay. management plays favorites
I worked here over 3 years part-time and full- time when it was actually owned and run by the Canadian Diabetes Association. For over a year now it has exchanged ownership and calls itself National Diabetes Trust. Drivers are unionised, rules are not followed and management plays favorites with routes and scheduling. Logistic and people skills are weak – more... on side of management. Names are commonly whited out on route sheets to favor other drivers. Work loads have increased considerably since the take over by NDT. Perks drivers had before are now gone now. No incentive for doing routes quickly.
You will be expected to finish your routes or you will be in trouble or treated indifferent. Severe weather conditions are ignored. Routes are made up in Toronto and sent to Alberta, each province has different pickup rules. Be prepared to have your spiel ready for disgruntled customers you can't pick up, you will be using it a lot.
The trucks are all rented with maintenance being very poor. eg. Tires falling off, brakes and engines failing. Be prepared to spend time taken away from doing your route wasted at the front desk of the rental and service desk. You will be filling out service reports and renting different vehicles. You must also fill out a separate truck inspection report after. Depending on the office politics at that time you could be blamed for what goes wrong with the truck you were driving and your report scrutinized.
If you are a driver a typical day starts unloading donated bags of cloth and miscellaneous boxed items weighing anywhere from 10-70 lbs off of a 4-5 ton truck, by yourself. Each loaded truck can weigh from 3,500 to 8,000 lbs. The times it will take you to unload the truck at one of the 3 store locations will be anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Most store locations where you will off load are staffed by slow and underpaid employees who do not care or hurry to help and assist you to unload the truck.
After off loading your truck you will have a route sheet to pick up from 30-110 houses and bins, each house can have 1-50, or more items. Clothing bin locations within and outside the city can house anywhere from 1-100 garbage bags full of cloth and sharp items with added garbage dumped outside of bins. Hoarders at many locations reach into the bins with clothes hangers and rip open bags to steal cloth and you can expect to spend 5-60 minutes rebagging loose cloth and garbage. All donation bins are beacons for people to leave their garbage beside the bins. It will be your job also to remove and haul the garbage off to the dump. Garbage from these locations can be broken glass, dishwashers, wall units, tv's , mattress's, etc.
It will also be your job to hand out "Thank you" and "Sorry we missed you cards" at each of the 100 or more houses they will send you for pick up. It will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling knowing your helping leaving a "Thank you card" at the house that just left you a driveway full of 100 boxes and bags in sub zero or extreme heat temperatures. Handing out these cards is part of the job that will get to you eventually.
To this date no driver has made it or could ever make it to collect the pension that is offered to you after two years of full time employment. Injuries are high at this job because of the dangers you will regularly run into, so you must be extremely careful to look after yourself. You do not want to have to make injury claim here. Broken ankles, shoulder, knees, tendonitis, elbows, back injuries, hernia's, heart attack or stroke are to name a few and can happen doing your duties.
You must like to work and be fit lifting heavy objects in extreme heat and or freezing cold temperatures and you will be getting in and out of a truck over 200 times a day. The exercise is great but tainted with overwork and the recovery is minimal with only 2 days off. You will always be sore.
You will be also be responsible for any tickets incurred (eg.distracted driving) if you are caught by law reading your map and or doing paperwork that is required by management to do your job properly. This job is not for the weak of heart. Many of the drivers miss bins and houses and you will have to pick up what they didn't because of their attitude. Only 2 swampers for over 9 drivers who are only sent out with complaining favorites and the injured. Money is ok but the wage is capped because it is a charity. It does not match the work they want you to do. I'm glad I no longer work there and now feel much healthier.I suggest part time to see if you like it first. Dynamics will change as soon as your full time and work loads will increase. – less
It's an okay job its not the. I know I can do better with a better paying job
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 24, 2013
The co-workers are great people
Now I work from home because of changes in the office/ company
great environment
Branch Assistant (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: my boss was very positive and trusted me with the office work
Cons: it was only a summer job
It was a summer job. My supervisor was great and I was always productive and had work to do. The co- workers were positive, and the most enjoyable part of the job was running the office as my supervisor was out some of the time in meetings. The environment was overall interesting because I learned the behind the scenes work of the office and all the – more... things that go into the annual events. – less
I worked with this company because I enjoy talking to people
Customer Service Agent (part time, Work at Home) (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: part time hours
Cons: constantly talking on the phone
I worked with this company because I enjoy talking to people on the phone and try to resolve issues the customers may have.
fun times
Volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: moon bounce
Cons: volunteer
volunteer, helped run child games, moon bounce, face painting, collected money for the cause
Productive and fun workplace
IT Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
I got an ooportunity to learn lots of things. Co-workers are very helpful.No stress job environment.
Team Work
Route Driver (Current Employee), torontoMarch 13, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: nil
Working with this company was fun cause i was young and it was a very friendly and active environment
CDA - Opportunities to Learn
Community Events Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: downtown, great people, great values, opportunities to work with other departments
Cons: small confined space, little personal connection
Working at the Canadian Diabetes Association has been an amazing experience. On an average day, I would come in and prepare packages to be sent out to various health fair locations. I would also send out volunteer reminders for the week. I would then enter in events into the Onyx database, and follow up with volunteers via email. In addition, there – more... is usually something at the office to sort or do at the drop of a hat, like visit one of our health fairs, a meeting, or helping out one of the coordinators with whatever project they're working on. I mostly worked under the Community Events Coordinator, as well as aiding the Public Programs and Service Coordinator when needed. I feel welcomed here, even if I may not have a lot in common with my fellow employees, I always look forward to coming in. In my opinion, the hardest part of my day is trying to time what I need to do throughout the day. Working in the events industry, you're never sure as to what will happen in your day. My favourite part of this job has to be the amazing opportunities I can be a part of. I've learnt a lot about myself in this position as well as learning how a large not-for-profit organization works. – less
Volunteer Position
Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 18, 2013
Mostly data entry of various kinds and soliciting funds via phone calls.
Good people. Great working environment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 17, 2012
Pros: free food during meetings or christmas
Cons: low salary
My co-workers are friendly, there are no arguments in this company.
Valuable work but not fairly compensated employees and very little room for advancement
Operations/ Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: good cause
Cons: no appreciation
I learned operations management and logisitics control of 8 3 tonne cube vans and how to supply a quota to Value Village. I learned many skills of marketing, union management, time management, HR, OH&S and many others.
A comfortable fast paced environment with important goals.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioSeptember 8, 2012
A typical day on this job consisted of filing and answering phone calls from donors honoring those with Diabetes alive or deceased. The management team was helpful but firm and offered good advice and options to learn. The hardest part of the job would be filing the donated checks with large amounts of money, being careful not to enter incorrect numbers.