canadian corps of commissionaires Employee Reviews

work life balance is good
Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB5 July 2017
benefits are good work life balance are good. Drama at work makes for difficult days. advancement opportunities are limited and a lot of favoritism.
a move up is a move closer to the door.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
After a move up they keep things normal for a while then move you out so they can replace you with someone cheaper and so it begins again. They are supposed to hire ex military and ex police that's the mandate of the Commissionaires, but Calgary gets rid of ex military and ex police so they can hire people who will work cheaper.
Generally a good company to work for
Office Support / Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 May 2017
This is generally a good company to work for.

Training was provided for each site and was adequate to enable me to do my job effectively. Management at the sites I worked at was good. The hardest part of the job was the unpredictability of hours at some sites. While the salary was typical for the industry the salary at some sites was low.
Pros
Variety of sites and duties
Cons
Low hourly pay rate
Good company
mobile patrol officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2017
company that takes care of its employees thru benefits and a variety of location, positions and work hours; enjoyed this as ex military member due to a similar rank/management structure
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
not always full time available
airport parkade
Cashier/Inventory (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
it is a good place to work, i am doing from 7 years,learned so many things having good experiences,Good and friendly environment.reason for finding another job because of night shifts.
Pros
free employee parking
Cons
night shifts onli
Amazing company to work for!
Security (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2017
Canadian Corps of Commissionaires is everything you would expect from a company plus more. The leadership, courses, and training are all amazing, and there is lots of room for advancement and promotions. However, the pay is low (hard to raise a family), no retirement plan exists, and there are no sick days available.
Pros
Great leadership, great atmosphere, lots of room for promotions/advancement, and great leadership courses available.
Cons
Low Pay, No Retirment Plan, No Sick days
Good company to work
Full-time Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
I enjoyed my every work day. I learned how to satisfy our clients while following our Post Order. I manage my work hours and job duty perfectly and professionally, and I like to talk to my co-workers if I have. The hardest part of the job is that we need act immediately when something emergent problems happen. The most enjoyable part of the job is to make the clients happy with our job.
working with experienced person
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Working environment is good. Co-worker/supervisor they have experience in security field and they knows what they are doing. People are responsible and have a professional way, to do work at site.
Pros
good site to work and gain experience
Cons
sometimes hard to take / switch shifts.
ugly place to work period
security, commissionaire (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK, Toronto Ontario, Calgary Alberta.20 October 2016
a whiney, backstabbing organization! lots and lots of deceptive practices, and corruption. Not recommended at all! many many cover-ups on investigations as well as cash payoffs
Pros
nil
Cons
too many to mention
Security Guard
Security Guard (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Downtown16 October 2016
Many of my co-workers were retired, tired and over the age of 65. They are not able to perform their duties and know how to play the system. Advancing and training is non existing and the communication is terrible.

Supervisors are afraid to make decisions and are not trained deal deal with situations.

The company was once great but lost its appeal.
Pros
Free Parking, benefit
Cons
scheduling, management, no follow up
Parking Enforcement Officer (Calgary)
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
The Corps had the contract for Parking Enforcement for many years but lost it in 2015.
During the years that I worked as a Peace Officer/Parking Enforcement Officer, I saw many former military people removed from the work site and not offered another job. Being ex-military means nothing to them. They don't even make an effort to put ex-military people working in Federal job sites. The original intent of keeping former military people working, has gone out the window.
When we found out that we were losing the parking contract, we got a memo stating that we would have priority to get another job, but when the end arrived, we were laid off and terminated from the Corps and were told to re-apply. One of our guys had thirty years with the corps, imagine, he was told he had to re-apply Shameful way to treat people. They just don't care about employees and the retired officers make sweet salaries off the backs of their workers. My perception is a serious lack of integrity from management and their HR department is completely useless. I saw people terminated without cause and had nowhere to turn. Not many people can afford a lawyer to sue, and they count on this.
Pros
benefits and pay cheque
Cons
supervisors were dictators and never listened or cared about your suggestions
A day at work
jail guard (Current Employee) –  Big River, SK29 August 2016
I presently do guard duty at the local RCMP detachment which involves surveillance of cell block on monitors, we are managed by the RCMP detachment.
We work on a rotating shift basis or as required
Hardest part of job is listening to prisoners rant
best part of the job is knowing you are doing a community service
Cons
not always advance warning of when you are required
Driver
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 May 2016
Over all it was a joy to help those who were to enjoy a holiday.
To be able to give my passengers a safe and comfortable ride to Toronto Airport and also Hamilton Airport.

The days started early between 1;30am to 4:00am and work sometimes until 3pm. The hardest part of the job was doing 3 or more round trips from Hamilton to Toronto Airport and to be sharp while driving.
Pros
Joyment of meeting travellers
Cons
Low wage Low tips
Loved the Work but Wages and Benefits not good for Sole Provider
security services (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 January 2016
I enjoyed the opportunity to work with CommissionairesNS as it allowed me the opportunity to experience a wide array of work place experiences from working posts at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport to being supervisor /acting supervisor to two hugh institutions.

I dealt with many forms of paperwork management skills and requirements, all walks of people with their individual assets, requirements and unique needs.

One quickly learns to appreciate all those one comes in contact with withing these jobs from the institutions managers to our direct employer and fellow commissioners right down to the general public. All being served in a mature, professional manner with consideration given to their indirect and direct needs. At all times maintaining one's high standard of dress , deportment and attention to the safety and security of buildings, contents and individuals.
Pros
Opportunity to expand one's professional skills in office management and people skills
Cons
Low pay scale with few health medical benefits with long term future in one job
n/a
PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK31 August 2015
I enjoyed taking the courses I took with The Corps of Commissionaires Dealing with difficult people came in handy doing this job
Not what I thought
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta15 July 2015
If you plan on working for them don't expect to get full time. They will tell you prior to being hired that you will get 'full time hours' but don't be fooled as often they overbook at the sites and have to send people home, and you probably won't get a full time position until you've worked for at least 3-12 months. They are constantly hiring new people, even though the majority of people I have talked to are still awaiting full time.

The hours are long, but the pay is decent ($16-$17/hr). Most of the people are OK to work with, although dispatch is extremely disorganized. Most of the sites are located downtown, which can make it pricey for employees to find parking, or resort to taking ETS.

The other downfall with this company is that you have to pay for a uniform which ends up being around $50-$60 per paycheque. You get the money back if you return the uniform, but is rather inconvenient that you will be paying for it for a few months.

I would not recommend this job unless you are trying to get experience and do not mind getting part time hours. It seems that the job has costed me more then what its worth (security guard license, parking for downtown sites/ETS, uniform). I regret ever joining with them!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, no full time positions, more costs, downtown job sites, uniform deduction, disorganized managment
I have enjoyed my time at the Commissionaires
Security guard/parking enforcement (Current Employee) –  Victoria10 June 2015
For years I have been working in the security field and have dealt with a lot of different situations and people including coworkers, but here many of my coworkers are great to work with.
If you need a flexable schedual this is the place.
Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 March 2015
There is no job security as contracts are always up for renewal and the pay compared to other companies is not great. The company does not offer any benefits.
Pros
Flexable scheduals
Cons
No benifets and little pay
security
Security Officer, YYC International Airport (Former Employee) –  Calgary International Airport (YYC)17 January 2015
security position, U.S. Customs. Checking nessessary travel documents, and asisting public with directions,and / or questions.
Pros
Fun Job
Cons
OK, In the interest of keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Northumberland Hills Hospital3 December 2014
In keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
Pros
Rotating schedule....good!!!
Cons
No comment....