canadian corps of commissionaires Employee Reviews in Canada

Loved the Work but Wages and Benefits not good for Sole Provider
security services (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 21, 2016
I enjoyed the opportunity to work with CommissionairesNS as it allowed me the opportunity to experience a wide array of work place experiences from working posts at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport to being supervisor /acting supervisor to two hugh institutions.

I dealt with many forms of paperwork management skills and requirements, all walks of people with their individual assets, requirements and unique needs.

One quickly learns to appreciate all those one comes in contact with withing these jobs from the institutions managers to our direct employer and fellow commissioners right down to the general public. All being served in a mature, professional manner with consideration given to their indirect and direct needs. At all times maintaining one's high standard of dress , deportment and attention to the safety and security of buildings, contents and individuals.
Pros
Opportunity to expand one's professional skills in office management and people skills
Cons
Low pay scale with few health medical benefits with long term future in one job
n/a
PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 31, 2015
I enjoyed taking the courses I took with The Corps of Commissionaires Dealing with difficult people came in handy doing this job
NOT WHAT I THOUGHT
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 15, 2015
If you plan on working for them don't expect to get full time. They will tell you prior to being hired that you will get 'full time hours' but don't be fooled as often they overbook at the sites and have to send people home, and you probably won't get a full time position until you've worked for at least 3-12 months. They are constantly hiring new people, even though the majority of people I have talked to are still awaiting full time.

The hours are long, but the pay is decent ($16-$17/hr). Most of the people are OK to work with, although dispatch is extremely disorganized. Most of the sites are located downtown, which can make it pricey for employees to find parking, or resort to taking ETS.

The other downfall with this company is that you have to pay for a uniform which ends up being around $50-$60 per paycheque. You get the money back if you return the uniform, but is rather inconvenient that you will be paying for it for a few months.

I would not recommend this job unless you are trying to get experience and do not mind getting part time hours. It seems that the job has costed me more then what its worth (security guard license, parking for downtown sites/ETS, uniform). I regret ever joining with them!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, no full time positions, more costs, downtown job sites, uniform deduction, disorganized managment
I have enjoyed my time at the Commissionaires
Security guard/parking enforcement (Current Employee) –  VictoriaJune 10, 2015
For years I have been working in the security field and have dealt with a lot of different situations and people including coworkers, but here many of my coworkers are great to work with.
If you need a flexable schedual this is the place.
Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 4, 2015
There is no job security as contracts are always up for renewal and the pay compared to other companies is not great. The company does not offer any benefits.
Pros
flexable scheduals
Cons
no benifets and little pay
security
Security Officer, YYC International Airport (Former Employee) –  Calgary International Airport (YYC)January 17, 2015
security position, U.S. Customs. Checking nessessary travel documents, and asisting public with directions,and / or questions.
Pros
fun job
Cons
management
OK, In the interest of keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Northumberland Hills HospitalDecember 3, 2014
In keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
Pros
rotating schedule....good!!!
Cons
no comment....
This is not the Corp your looking for...
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2014
Bad hours, awful management, poor attitudes, poor wage...

Use to be great for Ex-mil guys... not anymore.. civ's trying to be military in a civie world... lolololol
Pros
they were honourable a long time ago.
Cons
i could write a book on what is wrong
Varied Work Involvement, Positive Interaction with both Government Employees and the General Public
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 25, 2014
In the 22 years I spent employeed with Commissionaires Ottawa, I could never expect "a regular day",. I worked in many capacities, either in Security Access Control , Escort or as a Foot Patroller. Planned Special Events to responding to unecpected emergencies always kept me on my toes. I have worked both in a military environment as well as a unionized one. Regardless, I have fond memories interacting with fellow Commissionaires, Public Employees and our General Public. For most of those years as a Commissionaire, I lived a "shift workers life", eight and twelve hour rotating shifts. This sometimes was ackward to my family and social circles, but one ajusts. There are too many good aspects of my work to list, and to some extent the high security level held prevents me from expanding further on any particular duties. Management within the Commissionaires has kept up with professional expectations and from my experience are very employee sensitive. Retired from the Corps with more good memories than bad. Would have no hesitation returning to their employee if offered the chance. Thankyou.
Pros
varied work environment, continual training, exposure to the public.
Cons
usually worked rotating shifts.
Good experience but promised more than they could provide
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  LondonFebruary 11, 2014
Learned a lot in the security field at this position but pay is lower than average in the industry, uniform is expensive and hours are hard to come by.
you can work full time, part time or casual hours
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  SaskatoonApril 3, 2013
You get to work in a variety of places. You can work the hours that are suited for you and your needs. They are willing to work around hours of another job that you may have. They have a benefit plan. You get to meet and work with lots of great people.
Hours flew by, lots of freedom to do the job your own way
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 12, 2013
Cruise around Victoria on a scooter or in a car handing out parking tickets.
Traffic court is a waist of time. Defendants rarely show up and when they do and lose the judge just orders them to pay the original amout on the ticket.
Good times exchanging stories with fellow officers about the dumb things we catch people doing.
Pros
no stress, no two days are the same and giving tickets to people who deserve them
Cons
accidentally ticketing pretty chicks.
Each day is an interesting and challenging experience.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2013
Interesting and challenging work environment. In the six years with the Corps, I have gaind much experience, including working in conjunction with the Military Police at NDHQ Ottawa. Presently I am employed at a construction site for PCL construction. I maintain the main gate and do ocassional vehicle inspections. I have always enjoyed working with a number of my fellow colleagues. The hardest part of the job was working split shifts ( 2 weeks days, two weeks afternoons, and four weeks overnights) Presently I work from 6am to 6 pm three and a half days a week. I enjoy associating with the people I work with and spending most of my time outdoors.
Pros
working three and a half days per week
Cons
12 hour shifts
Good place to work especially for student
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, OnOctober 31, 2012
Hires military first, must be bilingual in Ottawa to have a full-time job very clicky.
Pros
always open competitions that apply within, good starting salary, supply uniforms, and great management
Cons
lead you on thinking you will get more hours than you will receive
I like the variety of workplaces that I'm sent to, and I have great colleagues.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 16, 2012
There's no typical day at my job, that's what I like about it. I could be indoors or outdoors, dealing with clients in English or French, or working alone. I've learned so much about how this city operates. My co-workers are really nice, interesting people, the team-work is excellent! I like working in a uniform, and I really like working outdoors all year long.
Pros
interesting work, flexible hours.
Cons
not much in the way of a benefit package.
Everyone was treated equally and as recognized professionals
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 6, 2012
Typical day at work was very easy for the most part, sometime could be very challenging, depending upon the site location and shift.

Learned much about interaction with all types of people, and being responsible for the welfare of others in a public service role

Most co-workers very good people to work with.

Hardest part of the job would be dealing with difficult and sometimes dangerous people/situations.

Most enjoyable part of the job was forging new friendships and meeting new people in a variety of situations.
Pros
being treated and respected as a professional, being respected by the public
Cons
variable shift hours often disrupting sleep patterns
Independant work place
Security Professional (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 6, 2012
I enjoyed my time with the Commissionaires as I was in a position to be trusted independently, It was a contract term at the location I was working at so the position was to end in spring.
The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires is the best managed security company in Canada.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, CanadaMay 17, 2012
I love the management at the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires. They treat there employees really well
Pros
benefits, bonuses
Cons
overnight shifts
Great people
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton ONMay 5, 2012
I have found The Corps of Commissionaries to be a great experience. there is a great amount of pride involved with wearing the uniform and serving the community
Pros
great people to work with

2.9