canadian corps of commissionaires Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
NOT WHAT I THOUGHT
Security Guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Decent pay
Cons: Long hours, no full time positions, more costs, downtown job sites, uniform deduction, disorganized managment
If you plan on working for them don't expect to get full time. They will tell you prior to being hired that you will get 'full time hours' but don't be fooled as often they overbook at the sites and have – more... to send people home, and you probably won't get a full time position until you've worked for at least 3-12 months. They are constantly hiring new people, even though the majority of people I have talked to are still awaiting full time.

The hours are long, but the pay is decent ($16-$17/hr). Most of the people are OK to work with, although dispatch is extremely disorganized. Most of the sites are located downtown, which can make it pricey for employees to find parking, or resort to taking ETS.

The other downfall with this company is that you have to pay for a uniform which ends up being around $50-$60 per paycheque. You get the money back if you return the uniform, but is rather inconvenient that you will be paying for it for a few months.

I would not recommend this job unless you are trying to get experience and do not mind getting part time hours. It seems that the job has costed me more then what its worth (security guard license, parking for downtown sites/ETS, uniform). I regret ever joining with them! – less
I have enjoyed my time at the Commissionaires
Security guard/parking enforcement (Current Employee), VictoriaJune 10, 2015
For years I have been working in the security field and have dealt with a lot of different situations and people including coworkers, but here many of my coworkers are great to work with.
If you need a flexable schedual this is the place.
Officer (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 4, 2015
Pros: flexable scheduals
Cons: no benifets and little pay
There is no job security as contracts are always up for renewal and the pay compared to other companies is not great. The company does not offer any benefits.
security
Security Officer, YYC International Airport (Former Employee), Calgary International Airport (YYC)January 17, 2015
Pros: fun job
Cons: management
security position, U.S. Customs. Checking nessessary travel documents, and asisting public with directions,and / or questions.
OK, In the interest of keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
Security guard (Current Employee), Northumberland Hills HospitalDecember 3, 2014
Pros: rotating schedule....good!!!
Cons: no comment....
In keeping my current job until I find something else, I will reserve comment.
This is not the Corp your looking for...
Security Guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2014
Pros: they were honourable a long time ago.
Cons: i could write a book on what is wrong
Bad hours, awful management, poor attitudes, poor wage...

Use to be great for Ex-mil guys... not anymore.. civ's trying to be military in a civie world... lolololol
Varied Work Involvement, Positive Interaction with both Government Employees and the General Public
Security Guard (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: varied work environment, continual training, exposure to the public.
Cons: usually worked rotating shifts.
In the 22 years I spent employeed with Commissionaires Ottawa, I could never expect "a regular day",. I worked in many capacities, either in Security Access Control , Escort or as a Foot Patroller. Planned – more... Special Events to responding to unecpected emergencies always kept me on my toes. I have worked both in a military environment as well as a unionized one. Regardless, I have fond memories interacting with fellow Commissionaires, Public Employees and our General Public. For most of those years as a Commissionaire, I lived a "shift workers life", eight and twelve hour rotating shifts. This sometimes was ackward to my family and social circles, but one ajusts. There are too many good aspects of my work to list, and to some extent the high security level held prevents me from expanding further on any particular duties. Management within the Commissionaires has kept up with professional expectations and from my experience are very employee sensitive. Retired from the Corps with more good memories than bad. Would have no hesitation returning to their employee if offered the chance. Thankyou. – less
Good experience but promised more than they could provide
Security Guard (Current Employee), LondonFebruary 11, 2014
Learned a lot in the security field at this position but pay is lower than average in the industry, uniform is expensive and hours are hard to come by.
you can work full time, part time or casual hours
Security Guard (Current Employee), SaskatoonApril 3, 2013
You get to work in a variety of places. You can work the hours that are suited for you and your needs. They are willing to work around hours of another job that you may have. They have a benefit plan. You get to meet and work with lots of great people.
Hours flew by, lots of freedom to do the job your own way
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 12, 2013
Pros: no stress, no two days are the same and giving tickets to people who deserve them
Cons: accidentally ticketing pretty chicks.
Cruise around Victoria on a scooter or in a car handing out parking tickets.
Traffic court is a waist of time. Defendants rarely show up and when they do and lose the judge just orders them to pay the original amout on the ticket.
Good times exchanging stories with fellow officers about the dumb things we catch people doing.
Each day is an interesting and challenging experience.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: working three and a half days per week
Cons: 12 hour shifts
Interesting and challenging work environment. In the six years with the Corps, I have gaind much experience, including working in conjunction with the Military Police at NDHQ Ottawa. Presently I am employed – more... at a construction site for PCL construction. I maintain the main gate and do ocassional vehicle inspections. I have always enjoyed working with a number of my fellow colleagues. The hardest part of the job was working split shifts ( 2 weeks days, two weeks afternoons, and four weeks overnights) Presently I work from 6am to 6 pm three and a half days a week. I enjoy associating with the people I work with and spending most of my time outdoors. – less
Good place to work especially for student
Security Guard (Current Employee), Petawawa, OnOctober 31, 2012
Pros: always open competitions that apply within, good starting salary, supply uniforms, and great management
Cons: lead you on thinking you will get more hours than you will receive
Hires military first, must be bilingual in Ottawa to have a full-time job very clicky.
I like the variety of workplaces that I'm sent to, and I have great colleagues.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: interesting work, flexible hours.
Cons: not much in the way of a benefit package.
There's no typical day at my job, that's what I like about it. I could be indoors or outdoors, dealing with clients in English or French, or working alone. I've learned so much about how this city operates. My co-workers are really nice, interesting people, the team-work is excellent! I like working in a uniform, and I really like working outdoors all year long.
Everyone was treated equally and as recognized professionals
Security Guard (Former Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: being treated and respected as a professional, being respected by the public
Cons: variable shift hours often disrupting sleep patterns
Typical day at work was very easy for the most part, sometime could be very challenging, depending upon the site location and shift.

Learned much about interaction with all types of people, and being – more... responsible for the welfare of others in a public service role

Most co-workers very good people to work with.

Hardest part of the job would be dealing with difficult and sometimes dangerous people/situations.

Most enjoyable part of the job was forging new friendships and meeting new people in a variety of situations. – less
Independant work place
Security Professional (Former Employee), EdmontonJuly 6, 2012
I enjoyed my time with the Commissionaires as I was in a position to be trusted independently, It was a contract term at the location I was working at so the position was to end in spring.
The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires is the best managed security company in Canada.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Edmonton, CanadaMay 17, 2012
Pros: benefits, bonuses
Cons: overnight shifts
I love the management at the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires. They treat there employees really well
Great people
Patrol Officer (Former Employee), Hamilton ONMay 5, 2012
Pros: great people to work with
I have found The Corps of Commissionaries to be a great experience. there is a great amount of pride involved with wearing the uniform and serving the community