Canadian Coast Guard Employee Reviews

all work no pay
cook/deckhand (Current Employee) –  B.C. coast21 September 2017
I don't recommend working for this employer. You spend half your life out of town and there is no possessive acknowledgement for a job well done but there are plenty of superiors to let you know if the job is not being done to their standards. Very little training at first but if you stay a long time or make it to full time training is available.
Pros
they feed you
Cons
away from home a lot
mcts
MCTS (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC30 August 2017
Lovely wor^k place, semi flexible schedule. Entertaining and sometime stressfull job.
Only do this job for 6 years
MCTSO (Current Employee) –  NATIONAL3 August 2017
The "golden handcuffs" is what working for the federal government is like. The money can be very good, with a lot of option for working overtime and making a lot more money. HOWEVER, management sucks, workplace culture sucks, no room for advancement, 12 hour shifts suck, hardest part of the job is dealing with people who don't do their job, sleep or on the internet all the time instead of doing their job. No training, no room for advancement, lots of money .... money doesn't buy happiness
Fantastic job
Rescue Specialist/Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Canada19 June 2017
I loved my time with the Coast Guard. I only left so I could start a family and be there with my family all the time. Like any organization, there are issues that need addressing. Some of the leadership is sub par and could use more training, and some of the equipment was outdated for the task it was intended.
Exciting and varied work
Electronics Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2017
As an electronics co-op student working with the Canadian Coast Guard I was given an immense variety of electronics and telecommunications work.

I think the greatest aspect of the job was the fact that each and every day was different; I could be wiring in a transceiver for a RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) or flying out to fix an issue with one of the many coastal repeater sites. Despite the fact that I was still a student I was given a decent amount of autonomy and participated in a array of interesting projects.
Aweful place to work at
Navigation Officer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 May 2017
The Canadian Coast Guard is not a great place to work at. The place is plagued with systemic racism & sexism.
They pay system is broken and you never get paid.
Get ready for long weeks away from home, with a bunch of racist, sub-intelligent studs who think they are the best.
Avoid!!
training
Search & Rescue Member (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON26 April 2017
this job was a summer employment where i learned many life saving skills. due to the lack of employment i was only a temporary volunteer i could was unable to get full time enployment
Satisfying, great team work, high intensity, exciting and always growing
Leading Seaman / Rescue Specialist (Former Employee) –  French Creek, BC15 March 2017
A typical day at work would be maintenance of equipment, crew gathering to prep for daily routines, training routines either out on the ocean or in station, review of any calls for the night before. respond to any calls through out the day. turn to pagers after 4pm till returning to station at 8am the next morning.
Pros
Continual learning and always work to be done
Cons
dangerous, and inconsistent work offers for casuals
An Excellent and Rewarding Job
Coxswain & OSHA Representative (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador20 December 2016
My experience with the CCG has been exceptional. I worked in the IRB program for three summers, and the experience gained in this job has been extremely valuable and rewarding.
13-14 hour work days and on call for 28 days.
Logistics Officer/ Storekeeper/clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS25 September 2016
Issuance of all requirements for all departments.
Posting of all issues and reorder as required.
Keeping financial statements for department.
Cataloguing any new materiel and data input.
As department handle all problems and safety concerns
and answer direct to Captain.
Pros
Uniforms, room and board
Cons
At sea for 28 days regardless of weather.
Difficult to move up
ACTING OFFICER-IN-CHARGE, MCTS Centre (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON24 June 2016
Within the MCTS program specifically it is difficult to move upwards or out to a different program or department. If you are a Superintendent or above (Director, Assistant Commissioner) it is much easier.
Pros
Saving Peoples Lives
Cons
Rotating shifts, no continuous learning, seemingly ignored by management
Teaches lots of valuable life skills
Inshore Boat Rescue (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 May 2016
- lots of seamanship practice
- work with lots of colourful characters
- toughest part is living in remote locations far from others
- the best part is being outside on the water every day
good place to work but many diadvantages as well
Ships Officer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 August 2015
the Canadian coast guard has the potential to be a great career move for anyone with a seagoing background and can occasionally be a great experience for seaman and officers alike but the politics and lack of accountability within the organization as well as the present salaries are frustrating at best
Pros
good experience for seafarers
Cons
long hours, ever increasing workloads, inneficient salaries
Electronics Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, Southside Base6 July 2015
Always enjoyed my job.....great co-workers......experienced a lot of leading technology.....had great training within the organization.....Fall arrest training, High Angle Rescue training, Confined Space Entry and Rescue training, Forklift training, Small watercraft training......First Aid/CPR, and all necessary technical training of all electronic equipment present on the vessels.....I decided to make a change in my career
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no cons
Great place to work but a hard place to get a job.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON10 March 2015
I loved working at the base in Parry Sound. The work was great, my co-workers were great, supervisors, head of the base, hours, everything about this job was awesome. My only issue was that it took me so long to get approved.
Unique workplace
Lighthouse Keeper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 January 2015
You give weather reports every three hours. Maintain the station and communicate with helicopters as well as others to ensure safe travels. You live on station in, for the most part, isolation with one other keeper. I learned a lot about myself, as well as weather, boats, and inter specific communication. The hardest part of the job is managing to utilize your free time and dealing with the isolation. The most enjoyable part of the job is the silence and tranquility, and the ability to work at your own pace (for the most part).
Pros
Nature, tranquility
Cons
Long Hours, Isolation
Great work environment/co-workers.
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 January 2015
I only worked with the Canadian Cost Guard for 3-4 months but it was fairly enjoyable. The hours were great (8-4 Mon-Fri) and my co-workers with very laid back and were hard workers. I was doing a lot of filing in this job so it was not the most exciting job by all means. a lot of repetitiveness was involved. However, the pay was great and it was fairly easy, stress-free work.
Pros
Good hours, great pay, good co-wrokers.
Cons
Repetitive work. Aside for that no other cons.
Icebreaker
Electrician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Quebec15 April 2014
preventative maintenance of an Icebreaker ( electrical part ) during a training
The best job I ever had.
Depot Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 February 2014
I worked in accounts payable, accounts receiveable, reception, supply and finally as office clerk for the offices of the Construction & Maintenance Supervisor and the Supervisor of Aids to Navigation in the 11 years I worked for the Coast Guard.

I did it all in this clerical position and would have still been there had I not decided to leave to raise my family. Back in the day there was no part time or job sharing and my choice was to either come back to work full-time after the birth of my son and put him into full time day care or to quit. I chose to quit.
Pros
Everything. It was a great job.
Cons
I had to quit to have children as there was no part time or job sharing in 1988.
Excellent Learning Experience
First Level Engineer, The last ship I worked on. (Former Employee) –  Canadian Coast Guard Ship The Sir Wilfrid Laurier5 January 2014
The Canadian Coast Guard ships I have worked on all required hands on mechanical skills, for all the positions I have worked.
Working mainly in engine rooms of ships involves diesel engine rebuilds and a variety of systems maintenance and repair including septic, electrical, compressed air, automation and remotely controlled equipment. In addition, working on deck machinery included winches and gear boxes which were both hydraulic and electric systems, as well as variable speed drives and constant tension drives.

Trade barriers do not exist on ships, the field of Marine Engineering includes skills from all trades. Welding fabrication and Machining, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration as well as heating and ventilation systems with humidity control.

I received training for this trade from the Canadian Coast Guard College.
Pros
Freedom to hone your skills in various trades.
Cons
Away at sea for long periods of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2