Canadian Cancer Society

Canadian Cancer Society Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Awesome experience
Relay For Life (14hrs Security) (Former Employee), Aurora, ONNovember 24, 2013
Pros: expanding my horizons
Cons: weather
It was one of the first security jobs I have done, and as far as I am concerned it was an amazing event. The event itself is for a great cause so to be apart of it however that may be is a blessing and am willing to do it again any time.
working at the Canadian Cancer Society to help people in need
Fundraising Assistant (Current Employee), Pembroke, OntarioSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: meet lots of very nice people and get to help lots of people
Cons: lots of nights and weekend work due to events
A typical work day for me is to answer the phone, look after customers that come into the office and direct them in the right direction and making sure the mail is looked after, incoming and outgoing. My job is on the administration side of fundraising. I make sure that we have volunteers for the upcoming events, all material is delivered, work closely with our Fundraising Co-ordinator, make sure all receipting is done and any other tasks that he might give to me. I work very closely with our volunteers directing them in the right direction and helping them when needed. If our office co-ordinator is away I help out there with any of her tasks such as transportation program, directly calls etc...make sure all tasks are done efficiently and in a timely manner.

At the present time I work 3 days a week, I have learnt a lot about fundraising, recruiting volunteers, the good in people and what people expect. I am a person who loves working with people and I like to say I get along with others very well, I feel as though if we work together we have to get along. I am very much that not everyone does things or thinks like I do but I will appreciate other peoples opinions and learn by that. I have learnt that we all do things different but learn by our mistakes.

We have just had a change in our management therefore we are all still on a learning curve.

I think the hardest part of my job is fundraising and always asking people for money, my job involves doing a lot of phone calls and asks for donations, volunteering, and organizing events. People only have so much money and I am finding – more... it harder and harder to ask people as it is always the same people that want to help out or give donations. Also to see children that are diagnosed with cancer and there is nothing I can do for them. I take if very personal when people are sick.

As I said before I love working with the public and enjoy meeting new people, therefore I have to say that is what I love about my job. I enjoy working on the computer and doing data. I truly enjoy working in the administration side of my job. I am a survivor myself therefore I love to help others out and I know what they are going through – less
walking around
volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: helping out a good cause
Cons: volunteer
walk around door to door, for the cancer society to try to get more people to contribute .
Volunteers don't get Paid
Volunteer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 30, 2013
Pros: good feelings
Cons: n/a
I volunteer with them not to meet people but to get work done that keeps them going. I don't want thanks, it's why I like Data entry.
Friendly working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: few work stations
Friendly and welcoming working environment. Workers there warmly welcome new employess
Fun place to work, many amazing people.
Gift Wrapper (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCMay 19, 2013
I did not work for the Canadian Cancer Society, I was only a volunteer for their Holiday season gift wrap at the mall.
Productive and fun work place with good values
Door to door representative (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 14, 2013
I gained experience with working with people. It made me more outgoing. I got to pick the hours that I worked most of the time.
A work place that is more than just a job. It gives an outlet to give back to ones community
Office assistant (Current Employee), Melfort, SKMay 12, 2013
Pros: the people we get to work with.
Cons: restraints of being a non-profit organization. ie. cost to raise a dollar
8:30 to 4:30 fast paced, varied tasks of data entry, volunteer coordination, and other office admin duties.
I have increased in my data entry and other computer skills while on the job thanks to their in house training available.
The Cancer Society has some very good managers.
Co-workers work together as a team and are supportive of one another.
The hardest part of the job is hearing the news that someone we know as a client or friend has died due to cancer.
The best part of the job: Working together with the volunteers to accomplish specific tasks.
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Langley, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: a free lunch break
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
Helping people was fun
Project Manager (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2013
Pros: learn very much about managing people
Cons: was still in school
Great management with exciting people.
Travelling around to help be be sun tanning free
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: meeting people
Cons: if they passed away
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: meeting people
Cons: if they passed away
Great company to work for.
Volunteer Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 17, 2013
Pros: free lunches and seminars.
Cons: no cons.
I learned alot about public speaking and how to put together seminars.
Great company to work for.
Pros: free lunches and seminars.
Cons: no cons.
I learned alot about public speaking and how to put together seminars.
Excellent organizing and helping
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2012
I have learned to communicate with people, to improve my skills.
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 6, 2012
Pros: great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons: no employment opportunities
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Regina, SKOctober 27, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours.
Cons: not great pay, but good cause.
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Excellent Company with great goals
Student Co-Op (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros: some lunches provided, work independently
Cons: late hours, long meetings, lots of travelling
Was responsible for running Aurora Relay for Life, was given little direction but was offered some support along the way. Wages are not excellent as they are a non profit organization.
Helping the community
Office Systems Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 3, 2012
Pros: non-profit organization
Promoted "Driven to Quit Challenge" Campaign
Created resource and information kit to assist clients with quitting smoking
Received and directed phone calls appropriately
Everyone is there for the same cause
Fundraising Program Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2012
Pros: valuable cause
Cons: low salary
The work was rewarding on a daily basis - you knew you were working towards the same goal.