Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews in Canada

Great organization that is making a difference
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  BramptonMay 22, 2015
Canadian Cancer society is great. I volunteered at two events, Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for life Brampton and Georgetown. The people there were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours, alot of heavy lifting
Quiet relaxing professional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 9, 2015
For the most part the job has a very professional and quiet environment, which can be very relaxing. I was required to organize supplies from events the cancer society had. I had mail room duties and was required to stamp letters, file mail, and shred old documents.
Excellent Work and Life Balance
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2013
Everyday brought challenges of managing over 40+ sites in multiple provinces with widely different needs. In this supporting staff of over six hundered on a daily basis. The Society has over 70,000 volunteers who have access to various parts of the computer network. Strict and rigid access control management is in place and checked.

Working and large WAN has its challenges with providing access to all sites to our modernized data centre. Making sure we have the highest up-time possible.

Management to which I report to is excellent, second to none. Working with my co-workers is a pleasure. Being part of a very small team, which very large responsibility is very enjoyable.

Working is such a dynamic environment has brought my technical skills up to date. With updated Server farms to 2008 +, deployment of WAN Accelerators, implementation and maintenance of VoIP systems. With my time here, learning is something that you do a daily basis.
Pros
summer fridays
Cons
non profit, small room for advancement
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby OntarioMarch 5, 2015
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Pros
good staff
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 6, 2012
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
Pros
great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons
no employment opportunities
Productive versitile work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 8, 2015
I enjoyed volunteering through my high school while I attended. I met a lot of interesting people and the never failed to offer me different opportunities at their various fundraising events and awareness events.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Sometimes outside and in poor weather
Extracurricular
Strategic Event Planner, North York (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMay 25, 2015
This was only a charity event that I was a part of and this was not a paying job. The people were fun to work with overall. The event was also excellent to organize.
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 9, 2013
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
Pros
a free lunch break
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 5, 2014
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people.
Pros
work scheduling can be flexible
Cons
identifying best ways to support patients and their family
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary,ABOctober 12, 2014
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
Pros
great people
Cons
there was no cons
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
good way to help society
Volunteer Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJanuary 13, 2015
this was a volunteer position
-great way to help people who needed rides for their treatment\
-was sometimes difficult to take emotionally with seeing the patients
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 9, 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 27, 2012
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Pros
flexible work hours.
Cons
not great pay, but good cause.
Helping people was fun
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2013
Great management with exciting people.
Travelling around to help be be sun tanning free
Pros
learn very much about managing people
Cons
was still in school
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
if they passed away
enjoyed working in that type of working environment
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AbJuly 17, 2014
co workers were great to work with they are super friendly and helpful
learned to use my organizing skills better and to be more efficient
Pros
easiest people to work with
Cons
location wasnt as easy to get tobefore they moved it
Excellent Company with great goals
Student Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 2, 2012
Was responsible for running Aurora Relay for Life, was given little direction but was offered some support along the way. Wages are not excellent as they are a non profit organization.
Pros
some lunches provided, work independently
Cons
late hours, long meetings, lots of travelling
Am expecting good results and jobs
Volunteer Work (Delta relay for life) (Current Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BCJune 5, 2014
It was really tiring handling 9 year old kids who run around and always try to do a prank. encourage the to do new activities. make them comfortable doing each and every conflict. resolve conflicts between them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot of physical activities

4.5