Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews in Canada

Very friendly volunteers and management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 14, 2015
Management is very friendly and hours are accommodating. Volunteer partners are probably the best you can get, and I learned that when someone volunteers for a good cause, usually they're pretty good people. Then most enjoyable part of the job is the aftermath, because of the extended periods of time spent outside, you either get very burnt or really tan, which I find is pretty amusing.
Pros
it's all for a good cause
Cons
sun burns are generally pretty bad
i was a volunteer at the cancer society I had alot of fun working with the people there
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 19, 2015
I volunteered at the cancer society.I learned alot there and had alot of fun doing all the fundraisers and activities.I really enjoyed my time volunteering there
Pros
helping people
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby OntarioMarch 5, 2015
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Pros
good staff
good way to help society
Volunteer Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJanuary 13, 2015
this was a volunteer position
-great way to help people who needed rides for their treatment\
-was sometimes difficult to take emotionally with seeing the patients
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary,ABOctober 12, 2014
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
Pros
great people
Cons
there was no cons
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 5, 2014
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people.
Pros
work scheduling can be flexible
Cons
identifying best ways to support patients and their family
Good experience in fundrasing
Marshall (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
A variety of opportunities supporting fundraising for cancer. Great environment of people.
Pros
free lunches for volunteers
Cons
outdoor weather conditions
enjoyed working in that type of working environment
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AbJuly 17, 2014
co workers were great to work with they are super friendly and helpful
learned to use my organizing skills better and to be more efficient
Pros
easiest people to work with
Cons
location wasnt as easy to get tobefore they moved it
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
I like Canadian Cancer Society. I would like to become a member of the committee.
Am expecting good results and jobs
Volunteer Work (Delta relay for life) (Current Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BCJune 5, 2014
It was really tiring handling 9 year old kids who run around and always try to do a prank. encourage the to do new activities. make them comfortable doing each and every conflict. resolve conflicts between them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot of physical activities
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, OntarioMay 21, 2014
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
Pros
warm atmosphere
Cons
many negative responses
Amazing People
Volunteer Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 16, 2014
Amazing people working together
great staff
friendly atmosphere
Comfortable environment with work autonomy
Media Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 9, 2014
- Great place to work
- Received appropriate supervision along with support from other colleagues
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 9, 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
Community Engagement
Community and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, OntarioMay 8, 2014
working along side the dedicated volunteers and helping clients is inspiring
Pros
close to home
Cons
contract
this was volunteer work only
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,OntarioMay 1, 2014
canvassed and recruited volunteers.
I was presented with the Caduceus pin in recognition of the work done.
Pros
great way to meet your neighbours
Data Entery
Intern (Former Employee) –  Windsor, OntarioMarch 4, 2014
Great working place and my favourite type of work which was to organize and entering data on an excel.
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
Very nice atmosphere among staff, good companionship.
Volunteer office clerk, Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Very rewarding otherwise than moneywise working as a volunteer.
Good companionship.
Have done several other tasks, like fundraising.

4.5