Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCAugust 25, 2015
I loved working for the Cancer Society! They have a great workplace culture and everyone was so welcoming and willing to train and work with you!
Great organization that is making a difference
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  BramptonMay 22, 2015
Canadian Cancer society is great. I volunteered at two events, Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for life Brampton and Georgetown. The people there were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours, alot of heavy lifting
i was a volunteer at the cancer society I had alot of fun working with the people there
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 19, 2015
I volunteered at the cancer society.I learned alot there and had alot of fun doing all the fundraisers and activities.I really enjoyed my time volunteering there
Pros
helping people
Extracurricular
Strategic Event Planner, North York (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMay 25, 2015
This was only a charity event that I was a part of and this was not a paying job. The people were fun to work with overall. The event was also excellent to organize.
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary,ABOctober 12, 2014
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
Pros
great people
Cons
there was no cons
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
fun voluntary experience
Assistant Teacher (Kindergarten) (Former Employee) –  NewmarketJuly 10, 2012
For the Canadian cancer Society I set up a table outside of local grocery stores in the area, and sold yellow tupils to help support and raise awareness for cancer. I was in charge of greeting people and asking them if they were interested is supporting the cause. I then had to handle cash. At the end of my shift I was responsible for making sure everything was cleaned up and that i returned all the left over flowers and money to my supervisor.
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 6, 2012
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
Pros
great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons
no employment opportunities
A work place that is more than just a job. It gives an outlet to give back to ones community
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Melfort, SKMay 12, 2013
8:30 to 4:30 fast paced, varied tasks of data entry, volunteer coordination, and other office admin duties.
I have increased in my data entry and other computer skills while on the job thanks to their in house training available.
The Cancer Society has some very good managers.
Co-workers work together as a team and are supportive of one another.
The hardest part of the job is hearing the news that someone we know as a client or friend has died due to cancer.
The best part of the job: Working together with the volunteers to accomplish specific tasks.
Pros
the people we get to work with.
Cons
restraints of being a non-profit organization. ie. cost to raise a dollar
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 27, 2012
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Pros
flexible work hours.
Cons
not great pay, but good cause.
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 9, 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 9, 2013
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
Pros
a free lunch break
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, OntarioMay 21, 2014
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
Pros
warm atmosphere
Cons
many negative responses
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
if they passed away
Am expecting good results and jobs
Volunteer Work (Delta relay for life) (Current Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BCJune 5, 2014
It was really tiring handling 9 year old kids who run around and always try to do a prank. encourage the to do new activities. make them comfortable doing each and every conflict. resolve conflicts between them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot of physical activities
Very rewarding place to work with a friendly atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLApril 22, 2012
I found working at Cancer society was a very meaningful job. It offers lots of resources to help friends and families suffering from cancer. I enjoyed the data entry. And helping customers on the phone. And also helping with cancer relay.
Pros
good hours.
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros
meeting people
Cons
if they passed away
Excellent Company with great goals
Student Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 2, 2012
Was responsible for running Aurora Relay for Life, was given little direction but was offered some support along the way. Wages are not excellent as they are a non profit organization.
Pros
some lunches provided, work independently
Cons
late hours, long meetings, lots of travelling
Awesome experience
Relay For Life (14hrs Security) (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONNovember 24, 2013
It was one of the first security jobs I have done, and as far as I am concerned it was an amazing event. The event itself is for a great cause so to be apart of it however that may be is a blessing and am willing to do it again any time.
Pros
expanding my horizons
Cons
weather

4.5