Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews

i was a volunteer at the cancer society I had alot of fun working with the people there
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 March 2015
I volunteered at the cancer society.I learned alot there and had alot of fun doing all the fundraisers and activities.I really enjoyed my time volunteering there
Pros
helping people
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Ontario21 May 2014
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
Pros
warm atmosphere
Cons
many negative responses
Very friendly volunteers and management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 April 2015
Management is very friendly and hours are accommodating. Volunteer partners are probably the best you can get, and I learned that when someone volunteers for a good cause, usually they're pretty good people. Then most enjoyable part of the job is the aftermath, because of the extended periods of time spent outside, you either get very burnt or really tan, which I find is pretty amusing.
Pros
it's all for a good cause
Cons
sun burns are generally pretty bad
Good Company To Work For.
Account Manager, Corp Dev - Relay For Life (Current Employee) –  Toronto13 August 2015
Great work life balance, very passionate about mission. My department is led by very intelligent senior staff. They have a great work life balance.
First job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2015
I started out as a volunteer and they asked me to become a summer internship. It gave me an opportunity to explore the business atmosphere and be apart of a great organization.
Pros
administrative experience, learned data entry, working with excel
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON6 November 2012
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
Pros
great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons
no employment opportunities
Great Workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC25 August 2015
I loved working for the Cancer Society! They have a great workplace culture and everyone was so welcoming and willing to train and work with you!
Great organization that is making a difference
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton22 May 2015
Canadian Cancer society is great. I volunteered at two events, Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for life Brampton and Georgetown. The people there were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours, alot of heavy lifting
Self fulfilment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 October 2015
The best part about volunteering at the Canadian Cancer Society was knowing that you are making a difference even if it was a small difference.
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby Ontario5 March 2015
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Pros
Good Staff
productive and professional
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab9 September 2015
the most organized and productive in achieving all their goals
like how things were done in a timely fashion and was done professionally.
I learned a lot about how to work in an office environment
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 May 2013
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
Pros
A Free Lunch Break
Quiet relaxing professional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2015
For the most part the job has a very professional and quiet environment, which can be very relaxing. I was required to organize supplies from events the cancer society had. I had mail room duties and was required to stamp letters, file mail, and shred old documents.
Helping people was fun
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 May 2013
Great management with exciting people.
Travelling around to help be be sun tanning free
Pros
Learn very much about managing people
Cons
Was still in school
Everyone is there for the same cause
Fundraising Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2012
The work was rewarding on a daily basis - you knew you were working towards the same goal.
Pros
valuable cause
Cons
low salary
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2014
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people.
Pros
Work scheduling can be flexible
Cons
Identifying best ways to support patients and their family
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
Productive versitile work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2015
I enjoyed volunteering through my high school while I attended. I met a lot of interesting people and the never failed to offer me different opportunities at their various fundraising events and awareness events.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Sometimes outside and in poor weather
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 October 2012
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Pros
flexible work hours.
Cons
not great pay, but good cause.

4.5