Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews

First job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2015
I started out as a volunteer and they asked me to become a summer internship. It gave me an opportunity to explore the business atmosphere and be apart of a great organization.
Pros
administrative experience, learned data entry, working with excel
Self fulfilment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 October 2015
The best part about volunteering at the Canadian Cancer Society was knowing that you are making a difference even if it was a small difference.
productive and professional
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab9 September 2015
the most organized and productive in achieving all their goals
like how things were done in a timely fashion and was done professionally.
I learned a lot about how to work in an office environment
Great Workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC25 August 2015
I loved working for the Cancer Society! They have a great workplace culture and everyone was so welcoming and willing to train and work with you!
Good Company To Work For.
Account Manager, Corp Dev - Relay For Life (Current Employee) –  Toronto13 August 2015
Great work life balance, very passionate about mission. My department is led by very intelligent senior staff. They have a great work life balance.
Quiet relaxing professional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2015
For the most part the job has a very professional and quiet environment, which can be very relaxing. I was required to organize supplies from events the cancer society had. I had mail room duties and was required to stamp letters, file mail, and shred old documents.
volunteerd to raise money for cancer research
Relay for Life Team Assistant Captain (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON6 July 2015
raised money for cancer research with bake sales and other fund raising to help the fight against cancer. had a great time with other team members at fund raisers
Pros
raised money to fight cancer
Extracurricular
Strategic Event Planner, North York (Former Employee) –  North York, ON25 May 2015
This was only a charity event that I was a part of and this was not a paying job. The people were fun to work with overall. The event was also excellent to organize.
Great organization that is making a difference
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton22 May 2015
Canadian Cancer society is great. I volunteered at two events, Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for life Brampton and Georgetown. The people there were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours, alot of heavy lifting
Productive versitile work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2015
I enjoyed volunteering through my high school while I attended. I met a lot of interesting people and the never failed to offer me different opportunities at their various fundraising events and awareness events.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Sometimes outside and in poor weather
Very friendly volunteers and management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 April 2015
Management is very friendly and hours are accommodating. Volunteer partners are probably the best you can get, and I learned that when someone volunteers for a good cause, usually they're pretty good people. Then most enjoyable part of the job is the aftermath, because of the extended periods of time spent outside, you either get very burnt or really tan, which I find is pretty amusing.
Pros
it's all for a good cause
Cons
sun burns are generally pretty bad
i was a volunteer at the cancer society I had alot of fun working with the people there
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 March 2015
I volunteered at the cancer society.I learned alot there and had alot of fun doing all the fundraisers and activities.I really enjoyed my time volunteering there
Pros
helping people
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby Ontario5 March 2015
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Pros
Good Staff
good way to help society
Volunteer Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 January 2015
this was a volunteer position
-great way to help people who needed rides for their treatment\
-was sometimes difficult to take emotionally with seeing the patients
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB12 October 2014
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
Pros
great people
Cons
there was no cons
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2014
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people.
Pros
Work scheduling can be flexible
Cons
Identifying best ways to support patients and their family
Good experience in fundrasing
Marshall (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2014
A variety of opportunities supporting fundraising for cancer. Great environment of people.
Pros
Free Lunches for Volunteers
Cons
Outdoor Weather Conditions
enjoyed working in that type of working environment
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Ab17 July 2014
co workers were great to work with they are super friendly and helpful
learned to use my organizing skills better and to be more efficient
Pros
easiest people to work with
Cons
location wasnt as easy to get tobefore they moved it
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2014
I like Canadian Cancer Society. I would like to become a member of the committee.
Am expecting good results and jobs
Volunteer Work (Delta relay for life) (Current Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BC5 June 2014
It was really tiring handling 9 year old kids who run around and always try to do a prank. encourage the to do new activities. make them comfortable doing each and every conflict. resolve conflicts between them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot of physical activities

4.5