Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews

First job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2015
I started out as a volunteer and they asked me to become a summer internship. It gave me an opportunity to explore the business atmosphere and be apart of a great organization.
Pros
administrative experience, learned data entry, working with excel
Very friendly volunteers and management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 April 2015
Management is very friendly and hours are accommodating. Volunteer partners are probably the best you can get, and I learned that when someone volunteers for a good cause, usually they're pretty good people. Then most enjoyable part of the job is the aftermath, because of the extended periods of time spent outside, you either get very burnt or really tan, which I find is pretty amusing.
Pros
it's all for a good cause
Cons
sun burns are generally pretty bad
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby Ontario5 March 2015
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Pros
Good Staff
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
fun voluntary experience
Assistant Teacher (Kindergarten) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket10 July 2012
For the Canadian cancer Society I set up a table outside of local grocery stores in the area, and sold yellow tupils to help support and raise awareness for cancer. I was in charge of greeting people and asking them if they were interested is supporting the cause. I then had to handle cash. At the end of my shift I was responsible for making sure everything was cleaned up and that i returned all the left over flowers and money to my supervisor.
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON6 November 2012
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
Pros
great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons
no employment opportunities
A work place that is more than just a job. It gives an outlet to give back to ones community
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Melfort, SK12 May 2013
8:30 to 4:30 fast paced, varied tasks of data entry, volunteer coordination, and other office admin duties.
I have increased in my data entry and other computer skills while on the job thanks to their in house training available.
The Cancer Society has some very good managers.
Co-workers work together as a team and are supportive of one another.
The hardest part of the job is hearing the news that someone we know as a client or friend has died due to cancer.
The best part of the job: Working together with the volunteers to accomplish specific tasks.
Pros
the people we get to work with.
Cons
restraints of being a non-profit organization. ie. Cost to raise a dollar
Quiet relaxing professional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2015
For the most part the job has a very professional and quiet environment, which can be very relaxing. I was required to organize supplies from events the cancer society had. I had mail room duties and was required to stamp letters, file mail, and shred old documents.
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 October 2012
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Pros
flexible work hours.
Cons
not great pay, but good cause.
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 May 2013
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
Pros
A Free Lunch Break
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 May 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB12 October 2014
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
Pros
great people
Cons
there was no cons
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Ontario21 May 2014
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
Pros
warm atmosphere
Cons
many negative responses
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 March 2013
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
if they passed away
Productive versitile work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2015
I enjoyed volunteering through my high school while I attended. I met a lot of interesting people and the never failed to offer me different opportunities at their various fundraising events and awareness events.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Sometimes outside and in poor weather
productive and professional
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab9 September 2015
the most organized and productive in achieving all their goals
like how things were done in a timely fashion and was done professionally.
I learned a lot about how to work in an office environment
volunteerd to raise money for cancer research
Relay for Life Team Assistant Captain (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON6 July 2015
raised money for cancer research with bake sales and other fund raising to help the fight against cancer. had a great time with other team members at fund raisers
Pros
raised money to fight cancer
Very rewarding place to work with a friendly atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL22 April 2012
I found working at Cancer society was a very meaningful job. It offers lots of resources to help friends and families suffering from cancer. I enjoyed the data entry. And helping customers on the phone. And also helping with cancer relay.
Pros
good hours.
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 March 2013
Pros
meeting people
Cons
if they passed away

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5