Canadian Cancer Society

Canadian Cancer Society Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Data Entery
Intern (Former Employee), Windsor, OntarioMarch 4, 2014
Great working place and my favourite type of work which was to organize and entering data on an excel.
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my – more... interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job. – less
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
Very nice atmosphere among staff, good companionship.
Volunteer office clerk, Fundraiser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Very rewarding otherwise than moneywise working as a volunteer.
Good companionship.
Have done several other tasks, like fundraising.
Excellent Work and Life Balance
Network Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2013
Pros: summer fridays
Cons: non profit, small room for advancement
Everyday brought challenges of managing over 40+ sites in multiple provinces with widely different needs. In this supporting staff of over six hundered on a daily basis. The Society has over 70,000 volunteers who have access to various parts of the computer network. Strict and rigid access control management is in place and checked.

Working and large – more... WAN has its challenges with providing access to all sites to our modernized data centre. Making sure we have the highest up-time possible.

Management to which I report to is excellent, second to none. Working with my co-workers is a pleasure. Being part of a very small team, which very large responsibility is very enjoyable.

Working is such a dynamic environment has brought my technical skills up to date. With updated Server farms to 2008 +, deployment of WAN Accelerators, implementation and maintenance of VoIP systems. With my time here, learning is something that you do a daily basis. – less
Awesome experience
Relay For Life (14hrs Security) (Former Employee), Aurora, ONNovember 24, 2013
Pros: expanding my horizons
Cons: weather
It was one of the first security jobs I have done, and as far as I am concerned it was an amazing event. The event itself is for a great cause so to be apart of it however that may be is a blessing and am willing to do it again any time.
walking around
volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: helping out a good cause
Cons: volunteer
walk around door to door, for the cancer society to try to get more people to contribute .
Volunteers don't get Paid
Volunteer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 30, 2013
Pros: good feelings
Cons: n/a
I volunteer with them not to meet people but to get work done that keeps them going. I don't want thanks, it's why I like Data entry.
Friendly working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: few work stations
Friendly and welcoming working environment. Workers there warmly welcome new employess
Fun place to work, many amazing people.
Gift Wrapper (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCMay 19, 2013
I did not work for the Canadian Cancer Society, I was only a volunteer for their Holiday season gift wrap at the mall.
Productive and fun work place with good values
Door to door representative (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 14, 2013
I gained experience with working with people. It made me more outgoing. I got to pick the hours that I worked most of the time.
A work place that is more than just a job. It gives an outlet to give back to ones community
Office assistant (Current Employee), Melfort, SKMay 12, 2013
Pros: the people we get to work with.
Cons: restraints of being a non-profit organization. ie. cost to raise a dollar
8:30 to 4:30 fast paced, varied tasks of data entry, volunteer coordination, and other office admin duties.
I have increased in my data entry and other computer skills while on the job thanks to their in house training available.
The Cancer Society has some very good managers.
Co-workers work together as a team and are supportive of one another.
The – more... hardest part of the job is hearing the news that someone we know as a client or friend has died due to cancer.
The best part of the job: Working together with the volunteers to accomplish specific tasks. – less
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Langley, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: a free lunch break
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say – more... it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day. – less
Helping people was fun
Project Manager (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2013
Pros: learn very much about managing people
Cons: was still in school
Great management with exciting people.
Travelling around to help be be sun tanning free
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: meeting people
Cons: if they passed away
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: meeting people
Cons: if they passed away
Great company to work for.
Volunteer Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 17, 2013
Pros: free lunches and seminars.
Cons: no cons.
I learned alot about public speaking and how to put together seminars.
Great company to work for.
Pros: free lunches and seminars.
Cons: no cons.
I learned alot about public speaking and how to put together seminars.
Excellent organizing and helping
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2012
I have learned to communicate with people, to improve my skills.
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 6, 2012
Pros: great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons: no employment opportunities
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques – more... and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees.... – less