Canadian Cancer Society

Canadian Cancer Society Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: work scheduling can be flexible
Cons: identifying best ways to support patients and their family
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm – more... and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people. – less
Good experience in fundrasing
Marshall (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches for volunteers
Cons: outdoor weather conditions
A variety of opportunities supporting fundraising for cancer. Great environment of people.
enjoyed working in that type of working environment
Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton AbJuly 17, 2014
Pros: easiest people to work with
Cons: location wasnt as easy to get tobefore they moved it
co workers were great to work with they are super friendly and helpful
learned to use my organizing skills better and to be more efficient
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
I like Canadian Cancer Society. I would like to become a member of the committee.
Am expecting good results and jobs
Volunteer Work (Delta relay for life) (Current Employee), Fraser Valley Regional District, BCJune 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: a lot of physical activities
It was really tiring handling 9 year old kids who run around and always try to do a prank. encourage the to do new activities. make them comfortable doing each and every conflict. resolve conflicts between them.
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee), Stratford, OntarioMay 21, 2014
Pros: warm atmosphere
Cons: many negative responses
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
Amazing People
Volunteer Receptionist (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 16, 2014
Amazing people working together
great staff
friendly atmosphere
Comfortable environment with work autonomy
Media Relations Intern (Former Employee), Langley, BCMay 9, 2014
- Great place to work
- Received appropriate supervision along with support from other colleagues
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 9, 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
Community Engagement
Community and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee), Oakville, OntarioMay 8, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: contract
working along side the dedicated volunteers and helping clients is inspiring
this was volunteer work only
volunteer (Former Employee), Ottawa,OntarioMay 1, 2014
Pros: great way to meet your neighbours
canvassed and recruited volunteers.
I was presented with the Caduceus pin in recognition of the work done.
Data Entery
Intern (Former Employee), Windsor, OntarioMarch 4, 2014
Great working place and my favourite type of work which was to organize and entering data on an excel.
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my – more... interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job. – less
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
Very nice atmosphere among staff, good companionship.
Volunteer office clerk, Fundraiser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Very rewarding otherwise than moneywise working as a volunteer.
Good companionship.
Have done several other tasks, like fundraising.
Awesome experience
Relay For Life (14hrs Security) (Former Employee), Aurora, ONNovember 24, 2013
Pros: expanding my horizons
Cons: weather
It was one of the first security jobs I have done, and as far as I am concerned it was an amazing event. The event itself is for a great cause so to be apart of it however that may be is a blessing and am willing to do it again any time.
working at the Canadian Cancer Society to help people in need
Fundraising Assistant (Current Employee), Pembroke, OntarioSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: meet lots of very nice people and get to help lots of people
Cons: lots of nights and weekend work due to events
A typical work day for me is to answer the phone, look after customers that come into the office and direct them in the right direction and making sure the mail is looked after, incoming and outgoing. My job is on the administration side of fundraising. I make sure that we have volunteers for the upcoming events, all material is delivered, work closely – more... with our Fundraising Co-ordinator, make sure all receipting is done and any other tasks that he might give to me. I work very closely with our volunteers directing them in the right direction and helping them when needed. If our office co-ordinator is away I help out there with any of her tasks such as transportation program, directly calls etc...make sure all tasks are done efficiently and in a timely manner.

At the present time I work 3 days a week, I have learnt a lot about fundraising, recruiting volunteers, the good in people and what people expect. I am a person who loves working with people and I like to say I get along with others very well, I feel as though if we work together we have to get along. I am very much that not everyone does things or thinks like I do but I will appreciate other peoples opinions and learn by that. I have learnt that we all do things different but learn by our mistakes.

We have just had a change in our management therefore we are all still on a learning curve.

I think the hardest part of my job is fundraising and always asking people for money, my job involves doing a lot of phone calls and asks for donations, volunteering, and organizing events. People only have so much money and I am finding it harder and harder to ask people as it is always the same people that want to help out or give donations. Also to see children that are diagnosed with cancer and there is nothing I can do for them. I take if very personal when people are sick.

As I said before I love working with the public and enjoy meeting new people, therefore I have to say that is what I love about my job. I enjoy working on the computer and doing data. I truly enjoy working in the administration side of my job. I am a survivor myself therefore I love to help others out and I know what they are going through – less
walking around
volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: helping out a good cause
Cons: volunteer
walk around door to door, for the cancer society to try to get more people to contribute .
Volunteers don't get Paid
Volunteer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 30, 2013
Pros: good feelings
Cons: n/a
I volunteer with them not to meet people but to get work done that keeps them going. I don't want thanks, it's why I like Data entry.
Friendly working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: few work stations
Friendly and welcoming working environment. Workers there warmly welcome new employess