Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
working at the Canadian Cancer Society to help people in need
Fundraising Assistant (Current Employee), Pembroke, OntarioSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: meet lots of very nice people and get to help lots of people
Cons: lots of nights and weekend work due to events
A typical work day for me is to answer the phone, look after customers that come into the office and direct them in the right direction and making sure the mail is looked after, incoming and outgoing. My job is on the administration side of fundraising. I make sure that we have volunteers for the upcoming events, all material is delivered, work closely with our Fundraising Co-ordinator, make sure all receipting is done and any other tasks that he might give to me. I work very closely with our volunteers directing them in the right direction and helping them when needed. If our office co-ordinator is away I help out there with any of her tasks such as transportation program, directly calls etc...make sure all tasks are done efficiently and in a timely manner.

At the present time I work 3 days a week, I have learnt a lot about fundraising, recruiting volunteers, the good in people and what people expect. I am a person who loves working with people and I like to say I get along with others very well, I feel as though if we work together we have to get along. I am very much that not everyone does things or thinks like I do but I will appreciate other peoples opinions and learn by that. I have learnt that we all do things different but learn by our mistakes.

We have just had a change in our management therefore we are all still on a learning curve.

I think the hardest part of my job is fundraising and always asking people for money, my job involves doing a lot of phone calls and asks for donations, volunteering, and organizing events. People only have so much money and I am finding – more... it harder and harder to ask people as it is always the same people that want to help out or give donations. Also to see children that are diagnosed with cancer and there is nothing I can do for them. I take if very personal when people are sick.

As I said before I love working with the public and enjoy meeting new people, therefore I have to say that is what I love about my job. I enjoy working on the computer and doing data. I truly enjoy working in the administration side of my job. I am a survivor myself therefore I love to help others out and I know what they are going through – less
A great establishment that focuses on patients and a "home away from home" for many patients
Team Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: work scheduling can be flexible
Cons: identifying best ways to support patients and their family
At the Jean C. Barber Lodge I perform a variety of duties that range from administrative work such as, booking reservations, attending to the phones and taking payment, to medical duties such as, being a first responder in medical emergencies, maintaining status of priority patients and incident reporting.

At the Lodge I have learned to remain calm and assertive in medical emergencies such as heart attacks, hypoglycemic events; as well as, learned to provide medical advice for common side effects of cancer treatment. The hardest part of the job has to be identifying the best way to support patients and their families emotionally as the treatment and treatment process can be very difficult for both the patients and their loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be making great connections and relationships with the patients. Many patients will be staying at the lodge from anywhere from one week to 6 months and you get to meet many great people.
Excellent Work and Life Balance
Network Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2013
Pros: summer fridays
Cons: non profit, small room for advancement
Everyday brought challenges of managing over 40+ sites in multiple provinces with widely different needs. In this supporting staff of over six hundered on a daily basis. The Society has over 70,000 volunteers who have access to various parts of the computer network. Strict and rigid access control management is in place and checked.

Working and large WAN has its challenges with providing access to all sites to our modernized data centre. Making sure we have the highest up-time possible.

Management to which I report to is excellent, second to none. Working with my co-workers is a pleasure. Being part of a very small team, which very large responsibility is very enjoyable.

Working is such a dynamic environment has brought my technical skills up to date. With updated Server farms to 2008 +, deployment of WAN Accelerators, implementation and maintenance of VoIP systems. With my time here, learning is something that you do a daily basis.
a productive day helpin out one of the coordinators at work
Financial Support Program Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Langley, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: a free lunch break
Really helps gain my experience and skills always learning something new and this experience will really be rewarding for me help me to work in the clerical/receptionist position with any company i desire. I learned to write a newsletter to enter data in a data base called blackbaud. Hardest part was the thinkin part knowing what to say and how to say it when writing a newsletter about someone and also needing more experience answering calls when someone calls and how to help them was difficult sometimes. The most enjoyable part was talkin one on one with the coordinator and helpin her with any work that needs to be done and being efficient about it and always getting the tasks done by the end of the day.
A work place that is more than just a job. It gives an outlet to give back to ones community
Office assistant (Current Employee), Melfort, SKMay 12, 2013
Pros: the people we get to work with.
Cons: restraints of being a non-profit organization. ie. cost to raise a dollar
8:30 to 4:30 fast paced, varied tasks of data entry, volunteer coordination, and other office admin duties.
I have increased in my data entry and other computer skills while on the job thanks to their in house training available.
The Cancer Society has some very good managers.
Co-workers work together as a team and are supportive of one another.
The hardest part of the job is hearing the news that someone we know as a client or friend has died due to cancer.
The best part of the job: Working together with the volunteers to accomplish specific tasks.
Good Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee), Whitby OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Pros: good staff
It was great working with the Canadian Cancer Society. I have volunteered a few times this past year with the Daffodil Month and Pink Ribbon Month handing out each to people. I also volunteered for Run or Dye in the Summer of 2014 which was associated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Each time I work with them, it is wonderful. I love helping people and talking to them and raising money for a good cause. I learned a lot about cancer that I didn't know before I started volunteering with them. A typical day volunteering for the Daffodil/Pink Ribbon months is that I have 3 hour shifts and I sell daffodils or pink ribbons to people, raising money.
Excellent Society for the Community to rely upon
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 6, 2012
Pros: great staff...very professional...very caring
Cons: no employment opportunities
My position at the Cancer Society was purely a volunteer position so that I could gain some office experience and be able to use it in my new chosen career...

The ladies were some of the hardest working ladies I have come across and go above and beyond their duty to look after the public..

I was honored to be able to learn a few of the techniques and knowledge that I gained while volunteering there..

Unfortuneately the Society works on a volunteer basis and so there is no room for any extra employees....
Working as .Net developer at CCS.
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
My work starts at 9 o'clock ans ends at 5 o'clock. I start work by checking my emails, arranging my work orders, meeting schedules and project deadlines. After meeting with PMs, I start development, enhancement and testing codes related to ASP.net web application or window application or SharePoint.

Working with friendly co workers has enhanced my interpersonal skills, communication skills and listening skills. Working with team is most enjoyable part of job.
fun voluntary experience
Assistant Teacher (Kindergarten) (Former Employee), NewmarketJuly 10, 2012
For the Canadian cancer Society I set up a table outside of local grocery stores in the area, and sold yellow tupils to help support and raise awareness for cancer. I was in charge of greeting people and asking them if they were interested is supporting the cause. I then had to handle cash. At the end of my shift I was responsible for making sure everything was cleaned up and that i returned all the left over flowers and money to my supervisor.
Very friendly volunteers and management
Volunteer (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 14, 2015
Pros: it's all for a good cause
Cons: sun burns are generally pretty bad
Management is very friendly and hours are accommodating. Volunteer partners are probably the best you can get, and I learned that when someone volunteers for a good cause, usually they're pretty good people. Then most enjoyable part of the job is the aftermath, because of the extended periods of time spent outside, you either get very burnt or really tan, which I find is pretty amusing.
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Regina, SKOctober 27, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours.
Cons: not great pay, but good cause.
I took great pride in fundraising for a great society. Each year we did better than the last. Working with the volunteers was wonderful. I met many great caring people. I also gained a great amount of experience in building manuals for future employees to learn the job from start to finish.
Wonderful Supportive place to work
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee), Chatham, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: This job gave me purpose
Cons: I wasn't able to stay longer...would go back in a minute if the opportunity presented its self.
I was very fortunate to find a home for 18 months with The Canadian Cancer Society. It was very rewarding. This was a fast paced job that you had to be able to multi task. The staff was very supportive and they were excellent co workers.
Amazing, caring group of people within the organization
Volunteer Engagement Assistant (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 9, 2014
Working for such a great non-profit organization such as the Canadian Cancer Society has really connected me with some very talented and passionate staff and volunteers. Everyday is never the same, with a wide variety of challenges, but at the end of the day you're always left with a great sense of fulfillment.
productive fun place with lots of great people
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary,ABOctober 12, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: there was no cons
I was a volunteer with the planning and organizing committee for barks for life. I worked with people to get advertising in store arrange for event sponsors and work as a teem to bring the event to a success the whole thing was a learning curve and developed new skills in people as well as organizing
fun place to work
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee), Stratford, OntarioMay 21, 2014
Pros: warm atmosphere
Cons: many negative responses
This was a fantastic place to work. People came in off the streets to attend support groups or talk. Everyone was treated like family. There were only a small group of us working, usually in the evening.
I would talk to be people about volunteering some of their time to help raise funds for the Cancer Society
The whole job was wonderful
Assistant Transportation Co-Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2014
Best way to describe this position. Would be what I think what working at the stock market would be like. When the clock comes to 8:00 am you don't stop until the clock chimes in at 4:00 pm.
Everyday was different and brought on many many challenges that where all resolved to the at most professionalism possible
driver
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: meeting people
Cons: if they passed away
There si no wage this was volunteer work

Picking up clients and taking them to appointments for doctors, radation, etc. The hardest part of the job was when you drove someone for most of their treatment and I would get to know them very well and then they would pass away. I enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
Online Coach
Online Coach (Former Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 6, 2016
Assisting relay participants in setting up and personalizing their donation webpage, encouraging and supporting participants to meet their fundraising goals, offering suggestions to fund-raise, providing information on the Relay For Life, tracking and reporting participant progress to supervisor.
Very rewarding place to work with a friendly atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLApril 22, 2012
Pros: good hours.
I found working at Cancer society was a very meaningful job. It offers lots of resources to help friends and families suffering from cancer. I enjoyed the data entry. And helping customers on the phone. And also helping with cancer relay.
driver