Program & Participant Coordinator
Canadian Cancer Society, Camp Goodtimes
Regular Full Time, 35 hours per week
Division Office/Onsite – Loon Lake
Since 1985, Camp Goodtimes has been committed to providing a camping experience for children affected by cancer. Camp has grown from assisting 25 children in our first year, to providing a supportive and fun camping experience for almost 600 children and family members each year. The Program & Participant Coordinator develops, guides, implements and evaluates the recreational programs for Child, Youth and Family programming year round.
The Program and Participant Coordinator position is split into two distinct roles. Throughout the year the incumbent will develop recreational programming for participants, act as the primary recruiter for camp participants and maintain year-round connections with participants and their families. While Camp Goodtimes is in session the incumbent will act as the Summer Camp Director which involves overseeing all aspects of Camp Goodtimes summer camp and providing specific support to the Camper Experience Supervisor.
1. Year-Round Activities:
- Participates in the ongoing policy and procedure development for Child, Youth and Family programming
- Assists in the program development for summer camp component of programming.
- Plans and executes year round programming
- Liaises with referral agencies (BC Children’s Hospital, Ronald McDonald House) to promote program to potential participants
- Assists in hiring, training and supervising temporary program staff and contractors
- Assists in recruiting, screening, training, supervising, evaluating, recognizing volunteers with support from Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
- Accountable for role modeling the Society’s values by demonstrating appropriate behaviour in Accountability, Caring, Integrity, Respect, Quality, Responsiveness and Teamwork.
- Responds to general inquiries related to participant support
2. Summer Camp Director, Camp Goodtimes (approximately 7 weeks during July & August)
- Provides leadership to staff, volunteers, interns, campers and families during summer camp sessions
- Serves as senior CCS staff member on site at Camp Goodtimes and is responsible for the ultimate resolution of performance or operational issues
- Primary point of contact for Loon Lake/UBC staff during summer camp sessions
- Oversees all aspects of Camp Goodtimes summer camp including programming, on-site operations, emergency, medical and security procedures and other duties as required
- Oversees volunteer performance, provides feedback and coaching and leads some volunteer meetings in conjunction with staff and volunteer leaders
- Accountable to the rules of the Camp, and enforces such rules
- Assists in the on-site accreditation processes for BC Camping Association, Children’s Oncology Camping Association (COCA) and Canadian Association of Pediatric Oncology Camps (CAPOC)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of psychosocial aspects of oncology preferred.
- Strong knowledge of child and adolescent development.
- Knowledge of behavioural interventions for children and families.
- Knowledge of paediatric oncology preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including team-building, and facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task various projects
- Flexible, motivated and a quick learner
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment with children and volunteers
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- University degree in Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Psychology or related discipline.
- Experience counselling children, youth and families.
- A willingness to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings and living on-site for the duration of the camp sessions
- Experience in residential camping/management strongly preferred
- Graduate degree preferred
Interested applicants please submit your cover letter and resume online to our careers section at www.cancer.ca/bcy in one document no later than February 22, 2013.
Indeed - 18 months ago