Full time (37.5 hours/week), one year contract beginning October 2014.
The Raiser's Edge Database Specialist controls and maintains data in the Raiser’s Edge database to ensure the data is accurate, correct, and valid . The Raiser's Edge Database Specialist promotes and maintains data integrity and security by identifying and implementing efficiencies to operating procedures and assists in eliminating system-wide data redundancy to improve database performance. The Raiser's Edge Database Specialist coaches and supports employees and volunteers using the Raiser’s Edge. The Raiser's Edge Database Specialist works collaboratively with division and regional staff on related projects.
Ensure timely and correct flow of information from online and outsourced data entry systems to the Raiser’s Edge database. Ensure that RE users problems are resolved, and coaching provided in the use of RE. Maintain a clean and accurate database. Responsible for oversight and all aspects of maintaining the RE database.
1. Ensure Integrity of the Raiser’s Edge data
- Perform regular data integrity audits on the database and ensure that the appropriate measures are taken to clean the data, i.e., missing or incorrect information, merging of duplicate records, incorrect table entry codes, etc.
- Ensure that coding is correct and perform global updates as required.
- Update batch and receipting templates for any additions or changes that are required.
- Inform staff of any changes in procedures/processes and provide the appropriate documentation.
- Maintain data standards by providing guidance and training to those staff that are not following approved procedures/processes.
- Maintain the integrity of all codes and tables.
- Ensure that all changes to coding are tracked and monitored.
- Research and provide problem resolutions for issues encountered by staff.
2. Importing data from the Online database and external data providers
- Regular export of donor data to external data providers during their operating season(s).
- Regular export of data from online and external data collection systems, data cleaning and import of records to Raiser’s Edge.
- Liaison with external data providers to resolve problems and ensure accurate and timely flow of information to and from contracted data providers and consultants.
3. Create queries, reports, receipt/letters, global updates, and business rules
- Act as a resource for department staff, running reports and/or queries as required.
- Create custom queries, letters and reports.
- Run global updates, adds, and deletes.
- Assist with the definition and implementation of business rules.
4. Ensure staff/volunteer training supports accurate usage of Raiser’s Edge
- Ensure all training and user manuals are correct and current.
- Ensure that all batch and output templates are current.
- Provide quick tips and frequently asked question information to all Raiser’s Edge Users.
- Provide ongoing coaching for Raiser’s Edge users.
5. Database Administration
- Identifies new or on-going issues with imports from external database
- Assists with database mapping issues to RE
- Provide assistance to all users to troubleshoot and resolve problems that they encounter in the use of RE.
- Review and modify configuration table set-up
- Provide information to Finance either from RE or Sphere to match their totals in Great Plains
- Assists in research and ongoing process improvement of organizations data management policies and practices
- Help recommend data collection best practices to all staff who comes in contact with potential data for the organization
- Other duties & projects as assigned or needed.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. General understanding of charitable giving, donation handling, and customer (donor) relationships.
2. Knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency receipting rules.
3. Expertise in the area of personal privacy and excellent knowledge of the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). Understanding of Basic functions of a database, its analysis and modification, and data manipulation.
4. Able to communicate, verbally and in writing, technical information effectively to others with diverse levels of subject knowledge.
5. Excellent computer literacy and advanced application level using database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
6. Advanced use of Raiser’s Edge software.
7. Training others having limited computer literacy or system knowledge within short time frames.
8. Creative and innovative problem solving abilities.
9. Excellent attention to detail.
10. Flexible in handling concurrent priorities and good, self directed time management skills.
11. Ability to work with diverse groups of people in a multi-site organization.
12. Strong understanding of SQL Database
Required Education & Experience
1. 3-5 years experience supporting database applications.
2. In-depth experience updating and modifying data using BlackBaud’s Raiser’s Edge.
3. Intermediate knowledge of SQL.
4. Intermediate knowledge of Crystal Reports and experience with writing and modifying templates
5. Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Applications, especially Excel and Word and Access
6. Attention to detail, ability to multi-task and to manage time-sensitive projects and meet deadlines as well as flexibility in adjusting to changing priorities
7. Ability to work to strict deadlines, achieving quality results in fast-paced environment
8. Proven database management abilities including data processing and donor records maintenance
1. Advanced knowledge and ability to construct complex SQL queries.
2. Experience training others in a formal environment.
3. Experience with technical writing.
4. Experience in using Importomatic and Convio Luminate systems.
Qualified applicants please submit your cover letter and resume in one document directly through our website www.cancer.ca no later than August 21.