Please note this is a temporary to permanent position (6-12 month contract with the possibility of extending to permanent). Full-time at 37.5 hours/week.
The purpose of this role is to attract, recruit, and retain volunteers, and engage them in contributing to the Division’s mission to eradicate cancer and enhance the quality of life for people living with cancer.
This position works in partnership with Regional Directors and Functional Managers to attract, recruit and engage the right volunteers for CCS BCY. The focus of this role is on attracting and recruiting, and developing leadership volunteers
1. Assist with conducting Annual Needs Assessment
- In conjunction with the Regional Director and regional staff, assess the volunteer needs of the region and develop a Regional volunteer workforce plan for fundraising and mission delivery initiatives
- Analyzes data reports from the online volunteer centre, workforce planning tools and campaigns
2. Attract and Recruit Volunteers
- Conduct regional market research to understand how to apply Volunteer Engagement best practices within regional communities
- In conjunction with the Regional Director and Functional Leader, ensure appropriate strategies to attract and recruit community leaders and a range of regional volunteers are developed for specific region and/or fundraising initiatives
- Participate in the development of the annual campaign to attract volunteers
- Leverage Volunteer Engagement marketing tools and resources by adapting them to regional requirements
- Prepare role descriptions that accurately reflect role content and ensure they are appropriately marketed
- Actively recruit and engage volunteers including within diverse communities; Establish and build effective relationships with community-based organizations; i.e., Chambers of Commerce, ethnic societies, secondary and post-secondary institutions, etc.
- Effectively utilize the Online Volunteer Centre to recruit and manage volunteers
- Conduct interviews and reference checks
- Facilitate the on-boarding of volunteers by ensuring they receive orientation and role-specific training.
3. Steward Volunteers
- Provide stewardship of community leaders who are newly engaged with the Society and/or who fulfill key leadership roles in fundraising activities
- Provide recognition to regional volunteers
- Manage regional participation in formal volunteer recognition programs and volunteer development programs
- Coach and support staff on how they can efficiently engage volunteers
4. Provide support to workforce (staff and volunteer) in efficiently engaging volunteers
- Facilitate leadership programs
- Coach and support staff in efficiently engaging volunteers
5. Support all aspects of the volunteer cycle using the Online Volunteer Centre
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Understanding of the Society’s strategic direction for volunteer engagement and National priorities
2. Knowledge of community-based economic, political and socio-economic conditions
3. Ability to analyze issues, identify opportunities and anticipate potential problems
4. Ability to deliver training to a diverse staff and volunteer base
5. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships
6. Demonstrated proficiency in maximizing the effectiveness of volunteer engagement systems
7. Ability to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis of market trends
8. Demonstrated proficiency in the MS Office (Excel intermediate level) suite of desktop applications
9. Ability to communicate effectively with people at various levels of the organization
10. Demonstrated strong and enthusiastic customer focus
11. Time management skills to organize and schedule own work assignments within broader plans
12. Flexibility to respond to shifting priorities and the ability to handle peak periods where volume is high and interruptions are expected
13. Willingness to travel within the BC and Yukon Division, as required
1 - 3 years of experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience in volunteer engagement, preferably within a matrix-structured, non-profit environment combined with post secondary education in a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Interested candidates please submit your cover letter and resume in one document directly through our website www.cancer.ca. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.