Assistant, Volunteer Engagement
Fraser Valley Region – Langley Office
Temporary Full Time / 37.5 hours per week
December 2013 – June 2014
The purpose of this role is to attract, recruit, and retain volunteers, and engage them in contributing to the Division’s mission to eradicate cancer and enhance the quality of life for people living with cancer. This position works in partnership with the Regional Director and Functional Manager to attract, recruit and engage the right volunteers for Canadian Cancer Society (CCS). The focus of this role is on recruiting and developing leadership volunteers.
1. Develop Volunteer Engagement Capacity
- Assist to equip those who engage volunteers with the understanding, skills and access to information, knowledge and training to enable them to perform effectively
- Facilitate workforce training sessions
2. Attract and Recruit Volunteers
- Conduct regional market research to understand how to apply Volunteer Engagement best practices within regional communities
- In conjunction with the Regional Director and Functional Leader, ensure appropriate strategies to attract and recruit community leaders and a range of regional volunteers are developed for specific region and/or fundraising initiatives
- Participate in the development of the annual campaign to attract volunteers
- Leverage Volunteer Engagement marketing tools and resources by adapting them to regional requirements
- Prepare role descriptions that accurately reflect role content and ensure they are appropriately marketed
- Actively recruit and engage volunteers including within diverse communities
- Establish and build effective relationships with community-based organizations; i.e., Chambers of Commerce, ethnic societies, secondary and post-secondary institutions, etc.
- Effectively utilize the Online Volunteer Centre to recruit and manage volunteers
- Conduct interviews and reference checks
- Facilitate the on-boarding of volunteers by ensuring they receive orientation and role-specific training.
3. Steward Volunteers
- Provide stewardship of community leaders who are newly engaged with CCS and/or who fulfill key leadership roles in fundraising activities
- Provide recognition to regional volunteers
- Manage regional participation in formal volunteer recognition programs and volunteer development programs
4. Support all aspects of the volunteer cycle using the Online Volunteer Centre and assist with the implementation of our new system Volunteer Squared.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Understanding of CCS strategic direction for volunteer engagement and National priorities
- Knowledge of community-based economic, political and socio-economic conditions
- Ability to analyze issues, identify opportunities and anticipate potential problems
- Ability to deliver training to a diverse staff and volunteer base
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency in maximizing the effectiveness of volunteer engagement systems
- Ability to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis of market trends
- Demonstrated proficiency in the MS Office suite of desktop applications
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at various levels of the organization
- Demonstrated strong and enthusiastic customer focus
- Time management skills to organize and schedule own work assignments within broader plans
- Flexibility to respond to shifting priorities and the ability to handle peak periods where volume is high and interruptions are expected
- Willingness to travel within the BC and Yukon Division, as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 3 - 5 years of experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience in volunteer engagement, preferably within a matrix-structured, non-profit environment combined with post secondary education in a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Interested applicants please submit your cover letter and resume in one document no later than November 20, 2013.
Please apply directly in our website:
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national community based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the...