Assistant, Front Desk
Regular Full Time, 37.5 Hours Per Week
Vancouver Division Office
Reporting to the Manager, Facilities and Purchasing, this position is primarily responsible for providing a positive and caring first image of the Canadian Cancer Society (The Society) by promptly answering all telephone calls and greeting walk in traffic in a professional and pleasant manner; and routing all requests to the appropriate person or department. Additionally, this position will provide administrative support in all functional areas of the Facilities and Purchasing Department.
1. Provides and coordinates Front Desk duties in accordance with the values and mission statement of the Canadian Cancer Society
- Portrays a positive first image of The Society by answering and transferring 100% of calls in a timely and processional manner.
- Promptly greets clients/guests when they enter the reception area and informs the appropriate person or department of their arrival.
- Accepts over-the-counter donations and issues an unofficial receipt as required.
- Books Society's resources in Outlook Public Folders for external groups only (process to be automated for in-house staff bookings).
- Assigns parking stalls on a temporary basis to fill requests by staff on waiting list, office visitors, contract staff.
- Maintains parking plan and parking benefits list.
- Updates staff listings and telephone system direct dial lists on a monthly basis.
- Provides name badges for new employees and volunteers at division office and the lodges.
- Maintains the register for signing out of Society's van keys, service keys and resources cupboards.
- Acquires in depth knowledge of phone and voicemail systems and provides training on same to new staff members.
- Maintains an up to date Reception Manual for temporary staff to refer to.
- Acquires knowledge of Society's programs and services and know when to refer queries to other organizations such as the Cancer Agency.
- Manages the relationship with telephone service providers; troubleshoots technical issues with phone systems.
- Manages the reception/lobby area, front desk, boardroom and galley kitchen to ensure a professional appearance is portrayed at all times.
- Manages sign-in/security procedures at front desk for visitors and temp staff
- Maintains and updates records in security software application (i.e. KeyScan).
2. Administrative support duties
- Reviews and codes non-PO related invoices for the Manager, Facilities and Purchasing
- Forwards incoming faxes to relevant departments; books outgoing and receives incoming couriers.
- Manages petty cash fund and reconciles receipts on a quarterly basis for Finance Dept.
- Provides administrative support for individuals and/or departments as required, particularly Purchasing& Facilities Dept.
- Assists with the production of “standard” purchase orders.
- Provides back up support to the Manager, Purchasing & Facilities when other team members are on vacation.
- Contacts building service vendors if any problems should arise (shared responsibility with the Assistant, Facilities and Purchasing)
- Maintain cell phone requests (i.e. – contact Apex wireless and TELUS if any cell phone orders/issues arise)
- Acts as the Head Count Person for the main floor during emergencies
- Point person for using Avion points to book travel
- Maintains teleconference accounts (i.e. updating name of accounts, requesting new accounts)
- Sorts incoming mail for Division Office (alongside with another Facilities & Purchasing team member)
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Some understanding of purchasing functions.
2. Knowledge of purchasing and materials management software.
3. Knowledge of general administrative functions.
4. Ability to report to work regularly and on time.
5. Able to quickly gain knowledge of programs and services offered by the Society and to whom calls should be referred to.
6. Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively with all teams.
7. A team player.
8. Detail orientated and organized.
9. Sense of urgency and the ability to be proactive on issues and opportunities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. Recognized courses/seminars on receptionist functions or equivalent job-related experience.
2. Strong disposition to customer service, with exceptional interpersonal skills.
3. Two years previous experience as a Receptionist.
4. Ability to provide or obtain routine information in a pleasant manner.
5. Superior communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to speak compassionately with bereaved or distressed clients.
6. Natural warmth when communicating with public; positive attitude.
7. Strong computer skills and knowledge of MS Office.
8. Ability to sit within workstation for prolonged periods of time.
9. Ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure.
11. Ability to report to work regularly and on time.
12. Respects confidentiality.
13. Skilled in the use of various telephone systems and current office technology products is desirable.
14. Previous experience of providing training to others (i.e. phone system training to new staff) is an asset.
Interested applicants, please submit your cover letter and resume in one document no later than December 11, 2013.
Please apply directly in our website: