Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 30, 2013
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required.
Pros
we are in the business of saving lives
Cons
working with people who have poor english skills
Another Awesome Place I worked
Recruiter and Administative assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NLAugust 15, 2013
I loved working at Canadian Blood Services the staff were awesome bunch of individuals. I dealt alot with the public and recruited alot of blood donors from our area. My job involved conviencing clients to donate. We travelled quite a bit around our surrounding communities. I did alot of typing and data entry along with reports on stats and spent alot of time on the phone. I had to give up this position because I got hired at Central Health and started getting full time hours and for awhile they accominated me but then it started getting to much so I took a full time position at Central Health seeing this position was only part time.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
none hated to leave
I like the organization as a whole
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 24, 2014
I was a volunteer. On a typical day I would come in, set up the tables, make coffee, distribute Newspapers and sit patiently waiting to assist patients. My duty was to sign and date their donation cards, make them feel comfortable and be prepared for an emergency if they were to react negatively to giving blood. The management and co workers were all incredibly friendly and I enjoyed working along side them. I learned a lot about what their organization does, and how many people they help and it was interesting to see how dedicated people were to the cause. The job wasn`t difficult, and I never had the opportunity to face an emergency. My only complaint was the commute in the mornings to get there. I enjoyed the job thoroughly, and loved talking to patient and co workers,
Pros
i got to help people, talk to people, and i got free cookies
Cons
un paid
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 4, 2013
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
Pros
good pay for little education required
Cons
inflexible work schedule
Calm Environment
Clerk/Group Booker (Former Employee) –  BramptonMay 21, 2015
Everyday you have to send a reminders email to the donors and group donors also the Territory Managers reminding them about there appointment.
learned about there software they use.
great team
Welcoming environment and very thankful for help
Refreshments Provider/Registration Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJanuary 19, 2015
Volunteering at Canadian Blood Services was always a good experience. The managers were always very thankful, understanding, and kind to both new and returning volunteers.
Pros
great people
Cons
only accessible every few months
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 4, 2013
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Pros
perks and benefits were amazing
Cons
few hours and low pay
CBS
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 11, 2012
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job is the amount of hours vs your turn over and the job can be very stressful at times. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.
Pros
money
Cons
long hours, no felxability
Love my co workers
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of driving to my clinic setting up the clinic and working with my colleagues and donors.

The donors are the people who volunteer their time to come and donate blood in need for other people. That is the most rewarding
of my profession
Pros
working with my colleagues
Cons
driving to clinics sometimes it is long
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON.October 3, 2013
• Conduct quality control to ensure that all information is captured correctly
• Organized, scanned and created files in electronic filing system (REFS).
• Boxed files and entered them in iRIMS system for off-site storage.
• Marking boxes systematically with pertinent information for accurate retrieval and control
• Creating and constructing physical and virtual boxes
• Opening and removing contents for inspection
• Lifting and carrying 20-30 lb. boxes daily
• Photocopied.
• Created labels for outgoing mail in word.
• Created binders.
• Created labels to put on tabs in word.
• Entered data into excel spread sheet.
• Worked with Microsoft Word, Excel, windows XP and Adobe Reader X.

Management was good.
The hardest part of this job was learning their electronic filing system.
I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised.
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
not a permanent job.
Productive and fun place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 8, 2014
I did not get paid as I was a volunteer. Besides that, I love being able to help people. A typical day involves making a pot of coffee and offering them to donors who have just donated some blood. It is not as gory as it sounds.
Pros
free snacks and coffee/tea/pop
Cons
standing for long periods, no phones allowed.
Pension Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2014
Great office staff. Learned many things regarding the obtaining and processing of blood to help individuals who require it. Management guides rather than tells. Many get togethers to celebrate achievements of those who work there.
Pros
free parking
Cons
out of the way for a quick shopping trip at lunch
co-workers are great
Driver (Current Employee) –  St. John's NLMarch 7, 2014
Management needs to get their stuff together so everyone is on the same page. as for hours you are told up front hours are this, but you start out getting a lot, get use to it, then they decide to hire more drivers to cut everyone's hours. Not good for morale.
Pros
mobile field staff & lab staff great
Cons
poor management
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BCFebruary 28, 2013
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Pros
help to save lives
Cons
not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
Placement
CSR (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 11, 2015
I found it hard to get through late hours and such short shifts, I prefer now to not be considered for this type of work.

There was a great atmosphere and all the employees were very friendly.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2012
My office timing is really good. It is 7.30 am till 4pm Monday-Friday. The office is located close to Subway. The people are really good. Very comfortable office atmosphere. The coworkers are very friendly and approachable, and also very helpful.
A friendly and new learning environment
Administrative Assistant - From (Former Employee) –  College StreetFebruary 15, 2015
While working at Canadian Blood Services, I felt very welcomed and the responsibilities and tasks provided to me were easy to adapt to.
Compassionate and empathetic Management who accomadate where possible
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southern OntarioOctober 9, 2013
Great place to work. A lot of flexibility given to those who work hard and are accountable.
Pros
day time hours, possibility of working from home when needed
Cons
office politics....don't get involved
A fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Eden Church MeadowvaleFebruary 1, 2015
A highly organized workplace that allows us to learn along with hands on experience in phlebotomy. We also learnt how to greet patients and help them after they have donated blood.
Productive and fun place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2014
Productive and fun place to work; great people around. Team work mentality and inspiring information exchange and collaboration with other research areas directly connect to the University of Alberta.

Canadian Blood Services Reviews by Location