Canadian Blood Services

Canadian Blood Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ON.October 3, 2013
Pros: nice place to work
Cons: not a permanent job.
• Conduct quality control to ensure that all information is captured correctly
• Organized, scanned and created files in electronic filing system (REFS).
• Boxed files and entered them in iRIMS system for off-site storage.
• Marking boxes systematically with pertinent information for accurate retrieval and control
• Creating and constructing physical – more... and virtual boxes
• Opening and removing contents for inspection
• Lifting and carrying 20-30 lb. boxes daily
• Photocopied.
• Created labels for outgoing mail in word.
• Created binders.
• Created labels to put on tabs in word.
• Entered data into excel spread sheet.
• Worked with Microsoft Word, Excel, windows XP and Adobe Reader X.

Management was good.
The hardest part of this job was learning their electronic filing system.
I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised. – less
A very welcoming atmosphere with happy workers.
Medical Laboratory Assistant- Donor testing (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: 6 am start shifts, and 5 pm start shifts
Cons: have to pay for parking.
In my current position we rotate start times. This can be very helpful if you have children or appointments you have to keep without having to use your appointment time during working hours. Everyone is held accountable for their mistakes. Supervisors and managers will talk to you if something was not done according to the Standard Operating Procedure. – more... This is done in a very positive manor to help support your growth as an employee within the company. – less
Another Awesome Place I worked
Recruiter and Administative assistant (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLAugust 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: none hated to leave
I loved working at Canadian Blood Services the staff were awesome bunch of individuals. I dealt alot with the public and recruited alot of blood donors from our area. My job involved conviencing clients to donate. We travelled quite a bit around our surrounding communities. I did alot of typing and data entry along with reports on stats and spent alot – more... of time on the phone. I had to give up this position because I got hired at Central Health and started getting full time hours and for awhile they accominated me but then it started getting to much so I took a full time position at Central Health seeing this position was only part time. – less
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 4, 2013
Pros: perks and benefits were amazing
Cons: few hours and low pay
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee), BramptonApril 30, 2013
Pros: we are in the business of saving lives
Cons: working with people who have poor english skills
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can – more... be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required. – less
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee), Vancouver BCFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: help to save lives
Cons: not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Great organization that do very important work.
Coordinator, Occupational Health and Safety (Current Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: contracts in each province.
Cons: limited room to advance.
Great organization to work for, has it's own sfaety department with employees across the country.
Not for profit organization
Materials Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: ideal work/life balance
Cons: needs to do better to be more efficient working environment
Lots of opportunities for improvement, however limited chances for higher level of management.
CBS
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 11, 2012
Pros: money
Cons: long hours, no felxability
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job is the amount of hours vs your turn over and the job can be very stressful at times. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.
Bussy and well organized place.
Full time Medical Lab.Assistant (Current Employee), Brampton.OnNovember 10, 2012
Pros: enough space for all, of the activities what we have.technicaly and phisically well organized.
Cons: enough hours per week.
I'm proud to work for Canadian Blood services.It is place where you fill that you have a chance to save lives on the other people.
Be part of the Canadian bloood services for me is to be a part of the people who work hard to help the other peoples who realy need help.I start like phlebotomist in blood collection,then afther two years iI work in the – more... donor testing and now I work in distribution of blood and blood products. – less

simplyjesss – December 1, 2012

May I ask if it is required to get a degree as a medical laboratory assistant in order to get the job? I just recently got hired as a phlebotomist and is interested in looking towards that goal in the future.

great company to work for
Donor Services Representative - Part time (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONJuly 30, 2012
Pros: meeting people, very busy, working on the computers
Cons: travelling, hours
Greeting Donors at the donor clinics, inputting data and printing information
I have learned how to treat everyone with repect and in a friendly manner
My co-workers are wonderful and very postitive
The hardest part of the job is the travelling from town to town
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all kinds of people and making them feel – more... welcome – less

rachelle – October 1, 2012

may i ask how much you make per hour.

– January 27, 2013

How much do they pay you?

Not a bad place to work as a technician
Research Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2012
Pros: working hours are flexible. pi's can be inspirational
Cons: office politics could use improvement.
A typical week working as a Research Technician includes planning future experiments, running the experiments, performing analysis and reporting results and suggesting future direction to the principal investigator.

As with any new research position I have had only base and theoretical knowledge entering the field but have accumulated a wealth of related – more... experience over my time working here. Previous and unrelated experience has carried over to help with an 'out of the box' style, and this will likely help with any future direction that I choose.

Laboratory management can feel somewhat disconnected from the principal investigator and some more experienced staff can feel intimidated by the younger staff. This can lead to a generally uncomfortable environment at times when older staff are treating younger staff no different then the academic students within the lab.

I enjoy working under stressful conditions when running clinical diagnostics and enjoy evaluating and optimizing experiments where and when I can. I find that previously gained experience can help with optimization and help seek resources to solve unique problems. – less
good people to work with
driver (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMay 21, 2012
Pros: good people
Cons: poor managment
On the whole a good place to work. The hours where difficult because they varied from one day to the next with nights thrown in to make it even harder.

joes2 – May 24, 2012

How much do they pay?

The most enjoyable part of the job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 10, 2012
My office timing is really good. It is 7.30 am till 4pm Monday-Friday. The office is located close to Subway. The people are really good. Very comfortable office atmosphere. The coworkers are very friendly and approachable, and also very helpful.
Overall Good company to work for.
Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2012
Pros: good benefits and salary
Cons: rush hour traffic
Good company and interesting co-employees from all walks of life.
Awful work environment
Client Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 14, 2014
Cons: everything about it!!
Horrible replenished staff from all sudbury call centres with no education..I would never recommend anyone I know to work there.
Sad that it had to end. I left a good job to work where I thought I could make a difference
Records and Information Assistant (Current Employee), 1800 Alta Vista OttawaDecember 12, 2011
They ran out of work after 5 months so my contract was ended. It's sad because i left another job for this place. I hope to find a work place that is busy and fair.

joes2 – May 24, 2012

How much do they pay?

About Canadian Blood Services

Canadian Blood Services is a not-for-profit, charitable organization whose sole mission is to manage the blood and blood products – Read more