Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews in Canada

CBS is a great place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa OntarioFebruary 1, 2015
CBS is a great place to work and provides an important service to the Canadian public

There was never a day that started or ended the same.I learned that it is not the job that makes the day its the people and the accomplishments.

I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised.
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job was the lack of communications within departments and the computer softwares which was stressfull and frustrating at times but I always managed very well. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.

Bussy and well organized place.
Full time Medical Lab.Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton.OnNovember 10, 2012
I'm proud to work for Canadian Blood services.It is place where you fill that you have a chance to save lives on the other people.
Be part of the Canadian bloood services for me is to be a part of the people who work hard to help the other peoples who realy need help.I start like phlebotomist in blood collection,then afther two years iI work in the donor testing and now I work in distribution of blood and blood products.
Pros
enough space for all, of the activities what we have.technicaly and phisically well organized.
Cons
enough hours per week.

Comment – December 1, 2012

May I ask if it is required to get a degree as a medical laboratory assistant in order to get the job? I just recently got hired as a phlebotomist and is interested in looking towards that goal in the future.

Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 30, 2013
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required.
Pros
we are in the business of saving lives
Cons
working with people who have poor english skills
Calm Environment
Clerk/Group Booker (Former Employee) –  BramptonMay 21, 2015
Everyday you have to send a reminders email to the donors and group donors also the Territory Managers reminding them about there appointment.
learned about there software they use.
great team
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 4, 2013
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Pros
perks and benefits were amazing
Cons
few hours and low pay
CBS
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 11, 2012
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job is the amount of hours vs your turn over and the job can be very stressful at times. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.
Pros
money
Cons
long hours, no felxability
Pension Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2014
Great office staff. Learned many things regarding the obtaining and processing of blood to help individuals who require it. Management guides rather than tells. Many get togethers to celebrate achievements of those who work there.
Pros
free parking
Cons
out of the way for a quick shopping trip at lunch
co-workers are great
Driver (Current Employee) –  St. John's NLMarch 7, 2014
Management needs to get their stuff together so everyone is on the same page. as for hours you are told up front hours are this, but you start out getting a lot, get use to it, then they decide to hire more drivers to cut everyone's hours. Not good for morale.
Pros
mobile field staff & lab staff great
Cons
poor management
Placement
CSR (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 11, 2015
I found it hard to get through late hours and such short shifts, I prefer now to not be considered for this type of work.

There was a great atmosphere and all the employees were very friendly.
productive and fun place to work
Employee Relations Generalist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 9, 2014
excellent benefits and open door policy. Great place to work and this place fosters growth and development
Overall Good company to work for.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2012
Good company and interesting co-employees from all walks of life.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
rush hour traffic
Another Awesome Place I worked
Recruiter and Administative assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NLAugust 15, 2013
I loved working at Canadian Blood Services the staff were awesome bunch of individuals. I dealt alot with the public and recruited alot of blood donors from our area. My job involved conviencing clients to donate. We travelled quite a bit around our surrounding communities. I did alot of typing and data entry along with reports on stats and spent alot of time on the phone. I had to give up this position because I got hired at Central Health and started getting full time hours and for awhile they accominated me but then it started getting to much so I took a full time position at Central Health seeing this position was only part time.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
none hated to leave
Welcoming environment and very thankful for help
Refreshments Provider/Registration Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJanuary 19, 2015
Volunteering at Canadian Blood Services was always a good experience. The managers were always very thankful, understanding, and kind to both new and returning volunteers.
Pros
great people
Cons
only accessible every few months
Work that needed high accuracy and precession.
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 28, 2015
I believe, Science is interesting subject to me. While working as laboratory technologist, I found it needs 100% attention and accurate manual dexterity. Most attractive part of work was TAT.
Pros
wast knowedge regarding transfusione medicine
Cons
tidious some time
A very welcoming atmosphere with happy workers.
Medical Laboratory Assistant- Donor testing (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
In my current position we rotate start times. This can be very helpful if you have children or appointments you have to keep without having to use your appointment time during working hours. Everyone is held accountable for their mistakes. Supervisors and managers will talk to you if something was not done according to the Standard Operating Procedure. This is done in a very positive manor to help support your growth as an employee within the company.
Pros
6 am start shifts, and 5 pm start shifts
Cons
have to pay for parking.
A friendly and new learning environment
Administrative Assistant - From (Former Employee) –  College StreetFebruary 15, 2015
While working at Canadian Blood Services, I felt very welcomed and the responsibilities and tasks provided to me were easy to adapt to.
A fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Eden Church MeadowvaleFebruary 1, 2015
A highly organized workplace that allows us to learn along with hands on experience in phlebotomy. We also learnt how to greet patients and help them after they have donated blood.
great company to work for
Donor Services Representative - Part time (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJuly 30, 2012
Greeting Donors at the donor clinics, inputting data and printing information
I have learned how to treat everyone with repect and in a friendly manner
My co-workers are wonderful and very postitive
The hardest part of the job is the travelling from town to town
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all kinds of people and making them feel welcome
Pros
meeting people, very busy, working on the computers
Cons
travelling, hours

Comment – October 1, 2012

may i ask how much you make per hour.

Comment – January 27, 2013

How much do they pay you?

Productive and fun place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 8, 2014
I did not get paid as I was a volunteer. Besides that, I love being able to help people. A typical day involves making a pot of coffee and offering them to donors who have just donated some blood. It is not as gory as it sounds.
Pros
free snacks and coffee/tea/pop
Cons
standing for long periods, no phones allowed.
Love my co workers
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of driving to my clinic setting up the clinic and working with my colleagues and donors.

The donors are the people who volunteer their time to come and donate blood in need for other people. That is the most rewarding
of my profession
Pros
working with my colleagues
Cons
driving to clinics sometimes it is long