Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
front line works burnt out!management/ executives will always point fingers at employees
driver (Current Employee), BramptonMarch 23, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: management, work hours ( dont expect to see your family).
Where to start.....gossip, stress and minimual support from management. To much negativity in the building. Employer has very little understanding of how thw jobs r being done. Example. A driver only drivers 20% or so the rest is setting up computers, shipping the blood organizing rhe blood tubes during clinics. Oh an id ur scheduled to be finished at 8pm dont count on it book ir plans for the next day.. oh wait cant do that.. why u ask because the next day ur shift starts at 4am. Each day drivers have a different start time n end time .. shifts range from 4hrs to 14hrs through the week with very little consistency. Now as for job description. Good luck CBS has been telling employees they will have a job description for the new positions ppl are currently in, that was 2 yrs ago( staff r still waiting).
I could write a book about how the moral is plugged to an all time low. Great company when it was a small setup, employees would take part in all areas of the job regardless of assigned duties. Now it is not so nor will it every get bk to that.

If u have no love ones n just want to work no questions asked regardless of the hours.. this place is for u
Not a bad place to work as a technician
Research Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2012
Pros: working hours are flexible. pi's can be inspirational
Cons: office politics could use improvement.
A typical week working as a Research Technician includes planning future experiments, running the experiments, performing analysis and reporting results and suggesting future direction to the principal investigator.

As with any new research position I have had only base and theoretical knowledge entering the field but have accumulated a wealth of related experience over my time working here. Previous and unrelated experience has carried over to help with an 'out of the box' style, and this will likely help with any future direction that I choose.

Laboratory management can feel somewhat disconnected from the principal investigator and some more experienced staff can feel intimidated by the younger staff. This can lead to a generally uncomfortable environment at times when older staff are treating younger staff no different then the academic students within the lab.

I enjoy working under stressful conditions when running clinical diagnostics and enjoy evaluating and optimizing experiments where and when I can. I find that previously gained experience can help with optimization and help seek resources to solve unique problems.
I like the organization as a whole
Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 24, 2014
Pros: i got to help people, talk to people, and i got free cookies
Cons: un paid
I was a volunteer. On a typical day I would come in, set up the tables, make coffee, distribute Newspapers and sit patiently waiting to assist patients. My duty was to sign and date their donation cards, make them feel comfortable and be prepared for an emergency if they were to react negatively to giving blood. The management and co workers were all incredibly friendly and I enjoyed working along side them. I learned a lot about what their organization does, and how many people they help and it was interesting to see how dedicated people were to the cause. The job wasn`t difficult, and I never had the opportunity to face an emergency. My only complaint was the commute in the mornings to get there. I enjoyed the job thoroughly, and loved talking to patient and co workers,
CBS is a great place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa OntarioFebruary 1, 2015
CBS is a great place to work and provides an important service to the Canadian public

There was never a day that started or ended the same.I learned that it is not the job that makes the day its the people and the accomplishments.

I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised.
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job was the lack of communications within departments and the computer softwares which was stressfull and frustrating at times but I always managed very well. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.

Great office staff. Learned many things regarding the obtaining and processing of blood to help individuals who require it.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ON.October 3, 2013
Pros: nice place to work
Cons: not a permanent job.
• Conduct quality control to ensure that all information is captured correctly
• Organized, scanned and created files in electronic filing system (REFS).
• Boxed files and entered them in iRIMS system for off-site storage.
• Marking boxes systematically with pertinent information for accurate retrieval and control
• Creating and constructing physical and virtual boxes
• Opening and removing contents for inspection
• Lifting and carrying 20-30 lb. boxes daily
• Photocopied.
• Created labels for outgoing mail in word.
• Created binders.
• Created labels to put on tabs in word.
• Entered data into excel spread sheet.
• Worked with Microsoft Word, Excel, windows XP and Adobe Reader X.

Management was good.
The hardest part of this job was learning their electronic filing system.
I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised.
Being able to go to work and know you're helping to save lives
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great wages and vacation time
Cons: long commute and long hours some days
Although I love what I do for Canadian Blood Services as a Phlebotomist and as a Donor Services Representative, the hardest part of the job is the commute. By the time I get to work I'm already exhausted, having to drive from Abbotsford to Vancouver. It's not condusive to a non-stressful lifestyle so I am in need of a great change. I would love to have a job that allows me to be closer to home.
The fact that I know when I get to work every day, I'm helping to save lives, is the greatest part about working for this company. I work with some amazing people that put themselves out there every day, and give of themselves completely while on the job. It's inspiring and encouraging.
Another Awesome Place I worked
Recruiter and Administative assistant (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLAugust 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: none hated to leave
I loved working at Canadian Blood Services the staff were awesome bunch of individuals. I dealt alot with the public and recruited alot of blood donors from our area. My job involved conviencing clients to donate. We travelled quite a bit around our surrounding communities. I did alot of typing and data entry along with reports on stats and spent alot of time on the phone. I had to give up this position because I got hired at Central Health and started getting full time hours and for awhile they accominated me but then it started getting to much so I took a full time position at Central Health seeing this position was only part time.
A very welcoming atmosphere with happy workers.
Medical Laboratory Assistant- Donor testing (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: 6 am start shifts, and 5 pm start shifts
Cons: have to pay for parking.
In my current position we rotate start times. This can be very helpful if you have children or appointments you have to keep without having to use your appointment time during working hours. Everyone is held accountable for their mistakes. Supervisors and managers will talk to you if something was not done according to the Standard Operating Procedure. This is done in a very positive manor to help support your growth as an employee within the company.
Bussy and well organized place.
Full time Medical Lab.Assistant (Current Employee), Brampton.OnNovember 10, 2012
Pros: enough space for all, of the activities what we have.technicaly and phisically well organized.
Cons: enough hours per week.
I'm proud to work for Canadian Blood services.It is place where you fill that you have a chance to save lives on the other people.
Be part of the Canadian bloood services for me is to be a part of the people who work hard to help the other peoples who realy need help.I start like phlebotomist in blood collection,then afther two years iI work in the donor testing and now I work in distribution of blood and blood products.

December 1, 2012

May I ask if it is required to get a degree as a medical laboratory assistant in order to get the job? I just recently got hired as a phlebotomist and is interested in looking towards that goal in the future.

Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee), BramptonApril 30, 2013
Pros: we are in the business of saving lives
Cons: working with people who have poor english skills
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required.
great company to work for
Donor Services Representative - Part time (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONJuly 30, 2012
Pros: meeting people, very busy, working on the computers
Cons: travelling, hours
Greeting Donors at the donor clinics, inputting data and printing information
I have learned how to treat everyone with repect and in a friendly manner
My co-workers are wonderful and very postitive
The hardest part of the job is the travelling from town to town
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all kinds of people and making them feel welcome

October 1, 2012

may i ask how much you make per hour.

January 27, 2013

How much do they pay you?

Terrible management unwilling to consider employee
Donor services (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 30, 2015
Pros: friendly donors
Cons: no respect or consideration from management
I requested a Leave of Absence from my part-time position OR to go on the casual roster. The department was frequently working short or paying over-time so I thought my request was a win-win. My manager claimed that they received direction from their supervisor to refuse my request. I was forced to quit due to their lack of give-and-take and lack of consideration for employee life situations.
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 4, 2013
Pros: good pay for little education required
Cons: inflexible work schedule
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
CBS
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 11, 2012
Pros: money
Cons: long hours, no felxability
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job is the amount of hours vs your turn over and the job can be very stressful at times. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.
No room for employee opinon supervisor can just treat you like kid and ignore all your complain
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), TorontoDecember 15, 2014
Pros: very nice donors helping to save a live.
Cons: staff gossip, management need to treat every employee with respect.
Very negative work place dont complain if you are being treated wrongfully you will become the problem and get fired.Only favouritism is supervisor biggest strength.
Productive and fun place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 8, 2014
Pros: free snacks and coffee/tea/pop
Cons: standing for long periods, no phones allowed.
I did not get paid as I was a volunteer. Besides that, I love being able to help people. A typical day involves making a pot of coffee and offering them to donors who have just donated some blood. It is not as gory as it sounds.
co-workers are great
Driver (Current Employee), St. John's NLMarch 7, 2014
Pros: mobile field staff & lab staff great
Cons: poor management
Management needs to get their stuff together so everyone is on the same page. as for hours you are told up front hours are this, but you start out getting a lot, get use to it, then they decide to hire more drivers to cut everyone's hours. Not good for morale.
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 4, 2013
Pros: perks and benefits were amazing
Cons: few hours and low pay
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Very good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Good working environment
Cons: carrying of heavy loads of blood in trolleys
Canadian Blood Services is a pretty stable organization with good benefits for the employees.
Given the opportunity to be rehired will be an honor because people there are very professional, kind-hearted and and very courteous.
The workplace is pleasant and you can easily deal with people around you.
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee), Vancouver BCFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: help to save lives
Cons: not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.