Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

negative atmospere
Medical Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
The co-workers were fun to work with but the place was not
well managed. The staffing situation left much to be desired.
Learning new material was not encouraged.
Pros
The job itself was okay and salary was good.
Cons
Staffing situation left workers very tired.
This was a wonderful rewarding company to work for.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 September 2016
I started working for this company when it was Canadian Red Cross.
It evolved into Canadian Blood Services. It was a rewarding place to work. You always felt like you were helping and making a difference in peoples lives. It was a company of constant change..always keeping on top of the most recent technology. The atmosphere aided in making you very adaptable to change. I feel I was very lucky to have made my career with this establishment.
Pros
Company offered many learning experiences...online courses, conferences, in house training, etc.
Providing Sudbury and beyond the community with much needed blood products
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 September 2016
CBS is a call-centered approach to scheduling and review of donors and potential donors. Keeping in contact and encouraging repeat donations is an important part of a healthy community that supports its' vital services including medical.
Pros
Predicatable work enviromment and hours
Cons
part-time employment
Rewarding job that help saves people lives by taking blood.
Phlebotomist/ LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint John, N.B30 September 2015
Good place to work for. There's a lot of travel with a good bunch of staff. Travel is 3-4 days away a week. Meet lots of nice people who are donating blood and their time for free. The pay for staff is decent and great benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Being away for 3-4 days a week
Very good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 August 2015
Canadian Blood Services is a pretty stable organization with good benefits for the employees.
Given the opportunity to be rehired will be an honor because people there are very professional, kind-hearted and and very courteous.
The workplace is pleasant and you can easily deal with people around you.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
carrying of heavy loads of blood in trolleys
supervisor is a witch
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK18 July 2016
Most of the staff are nice but the supervisor is a bully. You can do nothing right here and the clinic manager lets her get away with it.
It is not right the way people get treated.
Cons
work every day for 4 or 5 hours ?
Good Environment for all
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
The West labs Bodycote testing group, however, runs a business although it provides the information regarding the environment by testing the water sample, soil samples, bitumen's etc.
Friendly environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC17 June 2016
Donors are very friendly and remind me how important it is to always give back to my community. The most enjoyable part of my day is listening to donors day plans or stories.
Pros
free snacks
Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton30 April 2013
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required.
Pros
We are in the business of saving lives
Cons
Working with people who have poor English skills
Productive and good job security
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2016
Co-worker's were easy to get along with. Receive blood orders from hospitals, pack and send blood orders to hospitals. Receive fractionation blood products and store accordingly.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Heavy shipments of blood component products.
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto4 July 2013
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Pros
Perks and benefits were amazing
Cons
few hours and low pay
Great Opportunity For First Job
Blood Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON1 March 2016
An easy way to break into the work market. Enjoyed helping people while they donated blood. Makes you feel good to be providing a service like this...
Pros
Good deeds
Cons
Not a fan of needles
productive and fun place to work
Employee Relations Generalist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto9 April 2014
excellent benefits and open door policy. Great place to work and this place fosters growth and development
Overall Good company to work for.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2012
Good company and interesting co-employees from all walks of life.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
rush hour traffic
Fun place to work
Donation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 February 2016
The work is fun and great to talk to different people who would like to help out others by donating. Nice work environment.
Terrible management unwilling to consider employee
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 July 2015
I requested a Leave of Absence from my part-time position OR to go on the casual roster. The department was frequently working short or paying over-time so I thought my request was a win-win. My manager claimed that they received direction from their supervisor to refuse my request. I was forced to quit due to their lack of give-and-take and lack of consideration for employee life situations.
Pros
friendly donors
Cons
no respect or consideration from management
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BC28 February 2013
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Pros
help to save lives
Cons
not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Calgary4 October 2013
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
Pros
Good pay for little education required
Cons
Inflexible work schedule
Being able to go to work and know you're helping to save lives
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2014
Although I love what I do for Canadian Blood Services as a Phlebotomist and as a Donor Services Representative, the hardest part of the job is the commute. By the time I get to work I'm already exhausted, having to drive from Abbotsford to Vancouver. It's not condusive to a non-stressful lifestyle so I am in need of a great change. I would love to have a job that allows me to be closer to home.
The fact that I know when I get to work every day, I'm helping to save lives, is the greatest part about working for this company. I work with some amazing people that put themselves out there every day, and give of themselves completely while on the job. It's inspiring and encouraging.
Pros
Great wages and vacation time
Cons
Long commute and long hours some days
Nice place to work.
Medial Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 October 2015
Good place to work. I met a lot of people, developed new skills, increased myself worth to the company, be motivated and always willing to help and be a part of the team is the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyday has a new ways to learn and productivities increases endlessly.
Pros
free parking
Cons
very physical