Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and good job security
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Co-worker's were easy to get along with. Receive blood orders from hospitals, pack and send blood orders to hospitals. Receive fractionation blood products and store accordingly.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Heavy shipments of blood component products.
Terrible management unwilling to consider employee
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 30, 2015
I requested a Leave of Absence from my part-time position OR to go on the casual roster. The department was frequently working short or paying over-time so I thought my request was a win-win. My manager claimed that they received direction from their supervisor to refuse my request. I was forced to quit due to their lack of give-and-take and lack of consideration for employee life situations.
Pros
friendly donors
Cons
no respect or consideration from management
Rewarding job that help saves people lives by taking blood.
Phlebotomist/ LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint John, N.BSeptember 30, 2015
Good place to work for. There's a lot of travel with a good bunch of staff. Travel is 3-4 days away a week. Meet lots of nice people who are donating blood and their time for free. The pay for staff is decent and great benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Being away for 3-4 days a week
Great Opportunity For First Job
Blood Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ONMarch 1, 2016
An easy way to break into the work market. Enjoyed helping people while they donated blood. Makes you feel good to be providing a service like this...
Pros
Good deeds
Cons
Not a fan of needles
Very good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 19, 2015
Canadian Blood Services is a pretty stable organization with good benefits for the employees.
Given the opportunity to be rehired will be an honor because people there are very professional, kind-hearted and and very courteous.
The workplace is pleasant and you can easily deal with people around you.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
carrying of heavy loads of blood in trolleys
Fun place to work
Donation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONFebruary 7, 2016
The work is fun and great to talk to different people who would like to help out others by donating. Nice work environment.
Nice place to work.
Medial Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2015
Good place to work. I met a lot of people, developed new skills, increased myself worth to the company, be motivated and always willing to help and be a part of the team is the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyday has a new ways to learn and productivities increases endlessly.
Pros
free parking
Cons
very physical
Amazing Supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
Loved working with my volunteers.
Became very good friends with some of my co-workers
Reasonable flexibility
Walking distance from home.
Pros
Amazing Supervisor
Cons
Bad staff moral
Welcoming Place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 3, 2015
I loved doing volunteering work here. They offered great shift option and were always kind and understanding of my school schedule.
Pros
Free lunches, nice people
Cons
Shift schedule can get a little complicated
No room for employee opinon supervisor can just treat you like kid and ignore all your complain
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  TorontoDecember 15, 2014
Very negative work place dont complain if you are being treated wrongfully you will become the problem and get fired.Only favouritism is supervisor biggest strength.
Pros
very nice donors helping to save a live.
Cons
staff gossip, management need to treat every employee with respect.
front line works burnt out!management/ executives will always point fingers at employees
driver (Current Employee) –  BramptonMarch 23, 2015
Where to start.....gossip, stress and minimual support from management. To much negativity in the building. Employer has very little understanding of how thw jobs r being done. Example. A driver only drivers 20% or so the rest is setting up computers, shipping the blood organizing rhe blood tubes during clinics. Oh an id ur scheduled to be finished at 8pm dont count on it book ir plans for the next day.. oh wait cant do that.. why u ask because the next day ur shift starts at 4am. Each day drivers have a different start time n end time .. shifts range from 4hrs to 14hrs through the week with very little consistency. Now as for job description. Good luck CBS has been telling employees they will have a job description for the new positions ppl are currently in, that was 2 yrs ago( staff r still waiting).
I could write a book about how the moral is plugged to an all time low. Great company when it was a small setup, employees would take part in all areas of the job regardless of assigned duties. Now it is not so nor will it every get bk to that.

If u have no love ones n just want to work no questions asked regardless of the hours.. this place is for u
Pros
co workers
Cons
management, work hours ( dont expect to see your family).
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BCFebruary 28, 2013
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Pros
help to save lives
Cons
not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
Being able to go to work and know you're helping to save lives
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
Although I love what I do for Canadian Blood Services as a Phlebotomist and as a Donor Services Representative, the hardest part of the job is the commute. By the time I get to work I'm already exhausted, having to drive from Abbotsford to Vancouver. It's not condusive to a non-stressful lifestyle so I am in need of a great change. I would love to have a job that allows me to be closer to home.
The fact that I know when I get to work every day, I'm helping to save lives, is the greatest part about working for this company. I work with some amazing people that put themselves out there every day, and give of themselves completely while on the job. It's inspiring and encouraging.
Pros
great wages and vacation time
Cons
long commute and long hours some days
I like the organization as a whole
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 24, 2014
I was a volunteer. On a typical day I would come in, set up the tables, make coffee, distribute Newspapers and sit patiently waiting to assist patients. My duty was to sign and date their donation cards, make them feel comfortable and be prepared for an emergency if they were to react negatively to giving blood. The management and co workers were all incredibly friendly and I enjoyed working along side them. I learned a lot about what their organization does, and how many people they help and it was interesting to see how dedicated people were to the cause. The job wasn`t difficult, and I never had the opportunity to face an emergency. My only complaint was the commute in the mornings to get there. I enjoyed the job thoroughly, and loved talking to patient and co workers,
Pros
i got to help people, talk to people, and i got free cookies
Cons
un paid
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 4, 2013
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
Pros
good pay for little education required
Cons
inflexible work schedule
Not a bad place to work as a technician
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2012
A typical week working as a Research Technician includes planning future experiments, running the experiments, performing analysis and reporting results and suggesting future direction to the principal investigator.

As with any new research position I have had only base and theoretical knowledge entering the field but have accumulated a wealth of related experience over my time working here. Previous and unrelated experience has carried over to help with an 'out of the box' style, and this will likely help with any future direction that I choose.

Laboratory management can feel somewhat disconnected from the principal investigator and some more experienced staff can feel intimidated by the younger staff. This can lead to a generally uncomfortable environment at times when older staff are treating younger staff no different then the academic students within the lab.

I enjoy working under stressful conditions when running clinical diagnostics and enjoy evaluating and optimizing experiments where and when I can. I find that previously gained experience can help with optimization and help seek resources to solve unique problems.
Pros
working hours are flexible. pi's can be inspirational
Cons
office politics could use improvement.
CBS is a great place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa OntarioFebruary 1, 2015
CBS is a great place to work and provides an important service to the Canadian public

There was never a day that started or ended the same.I learned that it is not the job that makes the day its the people and the accomplishments.

I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised.
Fast pace environment, people are nice, managers are not the best but try, you play an active role in life saving on a day to day basis and it can be very rewarding. Hardest part of the job was the lack of communications within departments and the computer softwares which was stressfull and frustrating at times but I always managed very well. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you are told you saved a life.

Great office staff. Learned many things regarding the obtaining and processing of blood to help individuals who require it.
Not for profit organization
Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 27, 2013
Lots of opportunities for improvement, however limited chances for higher level of management.
Pros
ideal work/life balance
Cons
needs to do better to be more efficient working environment
Compassionate and empathetic Management who accomadate where possible
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southern OntarioOctober 9, 2013
Great place to work. A lot of flexibility given to those who work hard and are accountable.
Pros
day time hours, possibility of working from home when needed
Cons
office politics....don't get involved
Bussy and well organized place.
Full time Medical Lab.Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton.OnNovember 10, 2012
I'm proud to work for Canadian Blood services.It is place where you fill that you have a chance to save lives on the other people.
Be part of the Canadian bloood services for me is to be a part of the people who work hard to help the other peoples who realy need help.I start like phlebotomist in blood collection,then afther two years iI work in the donor testing and now I work in distribution of blood and blood products.
Pros
enough space for all, of the activities what we have.technicaly and phisically well organized.
Cons
enough hours per week.

Comment – December 1, 2012

May I ask if it is required to get a degree as a medical laboratory assistant in order to get the job? I just recently got hired as a phlebotomist and is interested in looking towards that goal in the future.