Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

This was a wonderful rewarding company to work for.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 September 2016
I started working for this company when it was Canadian Red Cross.
It evolved into Canadian Blood Services. It was a rewarding place to work. You always felt like you were helping and making a difference in peoples lives. It was a company of constant change..always keeping on top of the most recent technology. The atmosphere aided in making you very adaptable to change. I feel I was very lucky to have made my career with this establishment.
Pros
Company offered many learning experiences...online courses, conferences, in house training, etc.
negative atmospere
Medical Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
The co-workers were fun to work with but the place was not
well managed. The staffing situation left much to be desired.
Learning new material was not encouraged.
Pros
The job itself was okay and salary was good.
Cons
Staffing situation left workers very tired.
Providing Sudbury and beyond the community with much needed blood products
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 September 2016
CBS is a call-centered approach to scheduling and review of donors and potential donors. Keeping in contact and encouraging repeat donations is an important part of a healthy community that supports its' vital services including medical.
Pros
Predicatable work enviromment and hours
Cons
part-time employment
supervisor is a witch
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK18 July 2016
Most of the staff are nice but the supervisor is a bully. You can do nothing right here and the clinic manager lets her get away with it.
It is not right the way people get treated.
Cons
work every day for 4 or 5 hours ?
Good Environment for all
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
The West labs Bodycote testing group, however, runs a business although it provides the information regarding the environment by testing the water sample, soil samples, bitumen's etc.
Friendly environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC17 June 2016
Donors are very friendly and remind me how important it is to always give back to my community. The most enjoyable part of my day is listening to donors day plans or stories.
Pros
free snacks
Productive and good job security
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2016
Co-worker's were easy to get along with. Receive blood orders from hospitals, pack and send blood orders to hospitals. Receive fractionation blood products and store accordingly.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Heavy shipments of blood component products.
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BC28 February 2013
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Pros
help to save lives
Cons
not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.
Terrible management unwilling to consider employee
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 July 2015
I requested a Leave of Absence from my part-time position OR to go on the casual roster. The department was frequently working short or paying over-time so I thought my request was a win-win. My manager claimed that they received direction from their supervisor to refuse my request. I was forced to quit due to their lack of give-and-take and lack of consideration for employee life situations.
Pros
friendly donors
Cons
no respect or consideration from management
Great Opportunity For First Job
Blood Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON1 March 2016
An easy way to break into the work market. Enjoyed helping people while they donated blood. Makes you feel good to be providing a service like this...
Pros
Good deeds
Cons
Not a fan of needles
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Calgary4 October 2013
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
Pros
Good pay for little education required
Cons
Inflexible work schedule
Rewarding job that help saves people lives by taking blood.
Phlebotomist/ LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint John, N.B30 September 2015
Good place to work for. There's a lot of travel with a good bunch of staff. Travel is 3-4 days away a week. Meet lots of nice people who are donating blood and their time for free. The pay for staff is decent and great benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Being away for 3-4 days a week
No room for employee opinon supervisor can just treat you like kid and ignore all your complain
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Toronto15 December 2014
Very negative work place dont complain if you are being treated wrongfully you will become the problem and get fired.Only favouritism is supervisor biggest strength.
Pros
very nice donors helping to save a live.
Cons
staff gossip, management need to treat every employee with respect.
Very good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 August 2015
Canadian Blood Services is a pretty stable organization with good benefits for the employees.
Given the opportunity to be rehired will be an honor because people there are very professional, kind-hearted and and very courteous.
The workplace is pleasant and you can easily deal with people around you.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
carrying of heavy loads of blood in trolleys
Fun place to work
Donation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 February 2016
The work is fun and great to talk to different people who would like to help out others by donating. Nice work environment.
Not a bad place to work as a technician
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2012
A typical week working as a Research Technician includes planning future experiments, running the experiments, performing analysis and reporting results and suggesting future direction to the principal investigator.

As with any new research position I have had only base and theoretical knowledge entering the field but have accumulated a wealth of related experience over my time working here. Previous and unrelated experience has carried over to help with an 'out of the box' style, and this will likely help with any future direction that I choose.

Laboratory management can feel somewhat disconnected from the principal investigator and some more experienced staff can feel intimidated by the younger staff. This can lead to a generally uncomfortable environment at times when older staff are treating younger staff no different then the academic students within the lab.

I enjoy working under stressful conditions when running clinical diagnostics and enjoy evaluating and optimizing experiments where and when I can. I find that previously gained experience can help with optimization and help seek resources to solve unique problems.
Pros
working hours are flexible. pi's can be inspirational
Cons
office politics could use improvement.
I like the organization as a whole
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 October 2014
I was a volunteer. On a typical day I would come in, set up the tables, make coffee, distribute Newspapers and sit patiently waiting to assist patients. My duty was to sign and date their donation cards, make them feel comfortable and be prepared for an emergency if they were to react negatively to giving blood. The management and co workers were all incredibly friendly and I enjoyed working along side them. I learned a lot about what their organization does, and how many people they help and it was interesting to see how dedicated people were to the cause. The job wasn`t difficult, and I never had the opportunity to face an emergency. My only complaint was the commute in the mornings to get there. I enjoyed the job thoroughly, and loved talking to patient and co workers,
Pros
I got to help people, talk to people, and I got free cookies
Cons
Un paid
Being able to go to work and know you're helping to save lives
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2014
Although I love what I do for Canadian Blood Services as a Phlebotomist and as a Donor Services Representative, the hardest part of the job is the commute. By the time I get to work I'm already exhausted, having to drive from Abbotsford to Vancouver. It's not condusive to a non-stressful lifestyle so I am in need of a great change. I would love to have a job that allows me to be closer to home.
The fact that I know when I get to work every day, I'm helping to save lives, is the greatest part about working for this company. I work with some amazing people that put themselves out there every day, and give of themselves completely while on the job. It's inspiring and encouraging.
Pros
Great wages and vacation time
Cons
Long commute and long hours some days
Not for profit organization
Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2013
Lots of opportunities for improvement, however limited chances for higher level of management.
Pros
ideal work/life balance
Cons
needs to do better to be more efficient working environment
Compassionate and empathetic Management who accomadate where possible
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southern Ontario9 October 2013
Great place to work. A lot of flexibility given to those who work hard and are accountable.
Pros
day time hours, possibility of working from home when needed
Cons
office politics....don't get involved

Canadian Blood Services Reviews by Location