Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Rewarding job that help saves people lives by taking blood.
Phlebotomist/ LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint John, N.BSeptember 30, 2015
Good place to work for. There's a lot of travel with a good bunch of staff. Travel is 3-4 days away a week. Meet lots of nice people who are donating blood and their time for free. The pay for staff is decent and great benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Being away for 3-4 days a week
Very good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 19, 2015
Canadian Blood Services is a pretty stable organization with good benefits for the employees.
Given the opportunity to be rehired will be an honor because people there are very professional, kind-hearted and and very courteous.
The workplace is pleasant and you can easily deal with people around you.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
carrying of heavy loads of blood in trolleys
Productive and good job security
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Co-worker's were easy to get along with. Receive blood orders from hospitals, pack and send blood orders to hospitals. Receive fractionation blood products and store accordingly.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Heavy shipments of blood component products.
Good Environment for all
Laboratory Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
The West labs Bodycote testing group, however, runs a business although it provides the information regarding the environment by testing the water sample, soil samples, bitumen's etc.
Friendly environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 17, 2016
Donors are very friendly and remind me how important it is to always give back to my community. The most enjoyable part of my day is listening to donors day plans or stories.
Pros
free snacks
Great Opportunity For First Job
Blood Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ONMarch 1, 2016
An easy way to break into the work market. Enjoyed helping people while they donated blood. Makes you feel good to be providing a service like this...
Pros
Good deeds
Cons
Not a fan of needles
Fun place to work
Donation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONFebruary 7, 2016
The work is fun and great to talk to different people who would like to help out others by donating. Nice work environment.
Terrible management unwilling to consider employee
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 30, 2015
I requested a Leave of Absence from my part-time position OR to go on the casual roster. The department was frequently working short or paying over-time so I thought my request was a win-win. My manager claimed that they received direction from their supervisor to refuse my request. I was forced to quit due to their lack of give-and-take and lack of consideration for employee life situations.
Pros
friendly donors
Cons
no respect or consideration from management
Nice place to work.
Medial Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2015
Good place to work. I met a lot of people, developed new skills, increased myself worth to the company, be motivated and always willing to help and be a part of the team is the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyday has a new ways to learn and productivities increases endlessly.
Pros
free parking
Cons
very physical
Amazing Supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
Loved working with my volunteers.
Became very good friends with some of my co-workers
Reasonable flexibility
Walking distance from home.
Pros
Amazing Supervisor
Cons
Bad staff moral
Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 30, 2013
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required.
Pros
we are in the business of saving lives
Cons
working with people who have poor english skills
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 4, 2013
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Pros
perks and benefits were amazing
Cons
few hours and low pay
Welcoming Place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 3, 2015
I loved doing volunteering work here. They offered great shift option and were always kind and understanding of my school schedule.
Pros
Free lunches, nice people
Cons
Shift schedule can get a little complicated
productive and fun place to work
Employee Relations Generalist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 9, 2014
excellent benefits and open door policy. Great place to work and this place fosters growth and development
Overall Good company to work for.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2012
Good company and interesting co-employees from all walks of life.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
rush hour traffic
Being able to go to work and know you're helping to save lives
Donor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
Although I love what I do for Canadian Blood Services as a Phlebotomist and as a Donor Services Representative, the hardest part of the job is the commute. By the time I get to work I'm already exhausted, having to drive from Abbotsford to Vancouver. It's not condusive to a non-stressful lifestyle so I am in need of a great change. I would love to have a job that allows me to be closer to home.
The fact that I know when I get to work every day, I'm helping to save lives, is the greatest part about working for this company. I work with some amazing people that put themselves out there every day, and give of themselves completely while on the job. It's inspiring and encouraging.
Pros
great wages and vacation time
Cons
long commute and long hours some days
front line works burnt out!management/ executives will always point fingers at employees
driver (Current Employee) –  BramptonMarch 23, 2015
Where to start.....gossip, stress and minimual support from management. To much negativity in the building. Employer has very little understanding of how thw jobs r being done. Example. A driver only drivers 20% or so the rest is setting up computers, shipping the blood organizing rhe blood tubes during clinics. Oh an id ur scheduled to be finished at 8pm dont count on it book ir plans for the next day.. oh wait cant do that.. why u ask because the next day ur shift starts at 4am. Each day drivers have a different start time n end time .. shifts range from 4hrs to 14hrs through the week with very little consistency. Now as for job description. Good luck CBS has been telling employees they will have a job description for the new positions ppl are currently in, that was 2 yrs ago( staff r still waiting).
I could write a book about how the moral is plugged to an all time low. Great company when it was a small setup, employees would take part in all areas of the job regardless of assigned duties. Now it is not so nor will it every get bk to that.

If u have no love ones n just want to work no questions asked regardless of the hours.. this place is for u
Pros
co workers
Cons
management, work hours ( dont expect to see your family).
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 4, 2013
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its workers
Pros
good pay for little education required
Cons
inflexible work schedule
I like the organization as a whole
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 24, 2014
I was a volunteer. On a typical day I would come in, set up the tables, make coffee, distribute Newspapers and sit patiently waiting to assist patients. My duty was to sign and date their donation cards, make them feel comfortable and be prepared for an emergency if they were to react negatively to giving blood. The management and co workers were all incredibly friendly and I enjoyed working along side them. I learned a lot about what their organization does, and how many people they help and it was interesting to see how dedicated people were to the cause. The job wasn`t difficult, and I never had the opportunity to face an emergency. My only complaint was the commute in the mornings to get there. I enjoyed the job thoroughly, and loved talking to patient and co workers,
Pros
i got to help people, talk to people, and i got free cookies
Cons
un paid
Poor moral .... Pushed hard ... Employees not valued .. Just a business
Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BCFebruary 28, 2013
Job security is really iffy right now. Do not feel valued. Some supervisors and management not effective.
Pros
help to save lives
Cons
not being valued. many jobs in 1. work hard, told to work harder. very low moral, management all about cutting hrs and saving money.