CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES

CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun place to work
Employee Relations Generalist (Contract) (Former Employee), TorontoApril 9, 2014
excellent benefits and open door policy. Great place to work and this place fosters growth and development
Productive and fun place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 8, 2014
Pros: free snacks and coffee/tea/pop
Cons: standing for long periods, no phones allowed.
I did not get paid as I was a volunteer. Besides that, I love being able to help people. A typical day involves making a pot of coffee and offering them to donors who have just donated some blood. It is not as gory as it sounds.
Not a very productive and reliable workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 25, 2014
Team members were very disrespectful of other employees and guidelines and moral was not followed.
Pension Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: out of the way for a quick shopping trip at lunch
Great office staff. Learned many things regarding the obtaining and processing of blood to help individuals who require it. Management guides rather than tells. Many get togethers to celebrate achievements of those who work there.
co-workers are great
Driver (Current Employee), St. John's NLMarch 7, 2014
Pros: mobile field staff & lab staff great
Cons: poor management
Management needs to get their stuff together so everyone is on the same page. as for hours you are told up front hours are this, but you start out getting a lot, get use to it, then they decide to hire more drivers to cut everyone's hours. Not good for morale.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Cons: constantly changing directions
Made some good friends while there
Best volunteers anywhere
Great work place
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Saint John NBFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: awesome co-workers
Cons: i don't really have any cons
I loved working here but they consolidated with Halifax so we were severed.
Great place to work.
Regional Manager, Donor Testing (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2014
CBS is a great place to work and provides an important service to the Canadian public.
Love my co workers
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: working with my colleagues
Cons: driving to clinics sometimes it is long
A typical day at work consists of driving to my clinic setting up the clinic and working with my colleagues and donors.

The donors are the people who volunteer their time to come and donate blood in need for other people. That is the most rewarding
of my profession
Enjoyable place to work
SAP Master Data / Fundraising Administrator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 4, 2013
Pros: work family balance
they try to have work / family balance which is a big deal. ..................................................................................................................................................
a great place to work with never ending changes
Scheduler/Time Keeper (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2013
Pros: the staff and the people i meet
Cons: long travel time
There was never a day that started or ended the same.I learned that it is not the job that makes the day its the people and the accomplishments.
Team Work Sucess
Windows 7 Technician (Former Employee), Sudbury OntarioNovember 12, 2013
• Backed up and restored data to each computer making it an easier transition for end users.
• Installed and migrated over 380 computers with Windows 7.
• Assisted the deploy team using communication, and listening skills.
poor work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Regina, SKOctober 16, 2013
staff generally unhappy; a lot of travel; poor work schedule; comparable wages; work is monotonous.
Compassionate and empathetic Management who accomadate where possible
Supervisor (Current Employee), Southern OntarioOctober 9, 2013
Pros: day time hours, possibility of working from home when needed
Cons: office politics....don't get involved
Great place to work. A lot of flexibility given to those who work hard and are accountable.
No work/life balance
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 4, 2013
Pros: good pay for little education required
Cons: inflexible work schedule
This is a well paid job, but if you are looking for work/life balance, this isn't the company for you. As a part time job, you have to fit into their schedule and it's not flexible, no matter what they say.

Management is weak at best!

Donors and the people you work with are great, but they don't make up for the disrespect the management heaps on its – more... workers – less
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ON.October 3, 2013
Pros: nice place to work
Cons: not a permanent job.
• Conduct quality control to ensure that all information is captured correctly
• Organized, scanned and created files in electronic filing system (REFS).
• Boxed files and entered them in iRIMS system for off-site storage.
• Marking boxes systematically with pertinent information for accurate retrieval and control
• Creating and constructing physical – more... and virtual boxes
• Opening and removing contents for inspection
• Lifting and carrying 20-30 lb. boxes daily
• Photocopied.
• Created labels for outgoing mail in word.
• Created binders.
• Created labels to put on tabs in word.
• Entered data into excel spread sheet.
• Worked with Microsoft Word, Excel, windows XP and Adobe Reader X.

Management was good.
The hardest part of this job was learning their electronic filing system.
I enjoyed all of the jobs love being busy and being organised. – less
A very welcoming atmosphere with happy workers.
Medical Laboratory Assistant- Donor testing (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: 6 am start shifts, and 5 pm start shifts
Cons: have to pay for parking.
In my current position we rotate start times. This can be very helpful if you have children or appointments you have to keep without having to use your appointment time during working hours. Everyone is held accountable for their mistakes. Supervisors and managers will talk to you if something was not done according to the Standard Operating Procedure. – more... This is done in a very positive manor to help support your growth as an employee within the company. – less
Another Awesome Place I worked
Recruiter and Administative assistant (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLAugust 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: none hated to leave
I loved working at Canadian Blood Services the staff were awesome bunch of individuals. I dealt alot with the public and recruited alot of blood donors from our area. My job involved conviencing clients to donate. We travelled quite a bit around our surrounding communities. I did alot of typing and data entry along with reports on stats and spent alot – more... of time on the phone. I had to give up this position because I got hired at Central Health and started getting full time hours and for awhile they accominated me but then it started getting to much so I took a full time position at Central Health seeing this position was only part time. – less
Worked and learn key healthy tips and wellness from coworkers and supervisors
Donor Services Rep (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 4, 2013
Pros: perks and benefits were amazing
Cons: few hours and low pay
I was lucky to work at a different place at a different set up with coworkers from all ethnicity.

Interacted with potential donors to the point of remembering names, locations of donation, preference place and time to come back and donate.
Challenging
Lab assistant (Current Employee), BramptonApril 30, 2013
Pros: we are in the business of saving lives
Cons: working with people who have poor english skills
Overall good place to work salary and benefits are good. Sometimes a challenging place to work due to language barriers. A lot of egos because some claim to be doctors or medical technologist back home and cannot accept that here they are working as lab assistants. Look at previous review starting with"Bussy" and you can understand what I mean. It can – more... be frustrating sometimes so patience is always required. – less

About CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES

Canadian Blood Services is a not-for-profit, charitable organization whose sole mission is to manage the blood and blood products – Read more