Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

A strong National Operation
Donor Volunteer Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 June 2017
CBS is responsible for the safe collection and distribution of blood and blood products in Canada. To that end from the top down that focus is the job. The management always provided the tools and support you required to do the job; be it recruiting a new donor or planning the donation targets for the next year. It was the most rewarding job I ever had. When you worked for CBS, you know you made a difference in the lives of many.
Pros
Personal rewards in working with Volunteers
Cons
Windshield time.
great place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 June 2017
small close knit team of staff. fun liked getting ready to go work. enjoyed the variety of working in permanent clinic, going to rural areas and setting up for out of town mobiles. Preferred the work life to LTC after 30years plus in a demanding stressful area of healthcare.
Pros
positive work environment, small teams
Cons
temporary work, not enough hours for registered staff as Phlebotamists are trained to do the health screening.
Served food for donors after their donation
In-Clinic Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 June 2017
Volunteering here was a blast. I met tons of new people, gained lots of volunteer hours and FREE FOOD!! I talked to a lot of the donors learned about them and it is interesting to learn about why people are willing to give. Would definitely recommend.
The job is very easy but there is so much tension in a place where it should be uplifting and rewarding. There is so much drama and negativity.
Donor Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2017
they do not hire full time anymore so all you can get is a part time. one shift is only 4 hours and if you want to have a full shift you need to stay for 10 hours. they close in the middle of the day for 2 hours. The workplace culture is very bad because it is very negative. people talk behind each others backs all the time even the supervisors. If you do something wrong , instead of correcting it and helping you, they would talk about you and that includes the supervisors. for a place that you would think is very uplifting, its not!
CALL CENTRE - Micromanagement nightmare
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 May 2017
Work here as a stopgap between jobs. Keep looking for a new while you're there. They have no care or value for you, just for the amount of calls and appointments you can make per hour.
Very busy work place.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 April 2017
Not enough people hired for the job that needs to be done.
Lots of constant changes within the department and no communication between the supervisors and workers.
Pros
If you want to make $50000 a year this is the place to work
Cons
Long hours of work, 24/7 schedule, no work/home balance
CBS unreliable place to work
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB17 April 2017
I worked for CBS for 3 years and they kept reducing hours and now CBS is closing the clinic. The management lied to the staff regarding the closing of the clinic months in advance, in order to take advantage of the staff to stay until the closing date. I couldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
we had a good group of people to work with
Cons
management trying to save 100 million dollars by cutting spending
Quit and not much work
Charge Biomedical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2017
It is nice place to work at, job security and friendly coworkers.

You can take your time and learn new things because you always have extra free time.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Interact with people
Fun work place and good team environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 April 2017
With the Get Swabbed team I get to teach people about the possibility of getting on the stem cell registry. Everyone that volunteers is nice and supports the cause. We all want to help people.
Canadian blood services
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 April 2017
Working at Canadian blood services was interesting you always spoke to different people everyday. I ve learned how important it is to give blood as there are less than 4% of Canadians that donate blood.
Pros
Talking to and educating people everyday on how important it is to donate blood
Cons
You sit down for long periods of time
clerk
Clerk/Group Booker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2017
answering phone calls
recording which groups are coming into the clinic
making sure if they need transportation
always communicating with the territory manager
Pros
great
Cons
n/a
Currently a Nurse Consultant for CBS (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB25 March 2017
Positive atmosphere to work in. Great team. Supportive Supervisor.
Opportunities to grow with in the company.
Great relationship with donors. Enjoy my time at work
Pros
Positive and uplifting
Cons
clinic is closing
busy place to work
Training staff, phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON as well as Brampton On3 March 2017
i loved working at CBS thats why i stayed for almost 15 years
offered me a package so i took it
looking for something different a change of pace, just something new
Very productive workplace with some travelling around the province.
Staff Nurse / Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 February 2017
A typical day at work would be to screen potential blood donors, initiate blood donation for whole blood, platelets or plasma. Working as a nurse consultant to Donor Care Associates as well as performing cursory physical examinations to potential donors was also included, as required. Traveling around the province with the blood care team was a very enjoyable part of my job.

I learned quite a lot at CBS, beginning with phlebotomy, and providing IV access for the purpose of blood/blood product collection and up to data processing.

Working with so many potential donors, learning new skills, as well as traveling were the best parts of my job.
Pros
Travel, meeting new people
Cons
people waiting long periods of time to donate
very stressful environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 February 2017
Looking for new employment. Have been working as a Registered Nurse for over 14 years in several different settings. Would like to stay in the health area.
not perfect for family people
Driver/ Logistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
lots of hours but it's different every day .you can't plan ahead.
they got the latest models of trucks and vans and all other equipment.
Becoming too Corporate
Medical Screener (Current Employee) –  ontario7 February 2017
Donors - Wonderful -
Coworkers - Wonderful -
Management - Does not understand the working parts of the organization, including scope of the employees they oversee
Hourly wage is wonderful but job security/hours/ work life balance are all identified problems in the work culture.
Volunteer to Give Blood to Help up to 4 People!
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON19 January 2017
Every time I donate blood the facility is big, the process is organized, and I get snacks after I give blood before I leave.
Pros
Free snacks!
Cons
You may feel light headed after giving blood
fun
Volunteer work & Interest (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2017
Able to help in my own little way by donating blood. I know that by donating i get to help patients needing it and I've been doing it too even when i'm still in the Philippines. Also it has also benefit for your body everytime you donate blood.
very social and fun working environment
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 January 2017
typical day was busy, but very fun to interact with Donors and coworkers. I really enjoyed working here and had to leave due to the 2 days a week work schedule. It was really hard to work this around another job, to receive full time work.
Cons
only 2 days per week/closed prince george location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Canadian Blood Services Reviews by Location