Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Exciting and challenging
Section Commander/Storage Manager (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MB23 March 2017
Workdays changed depending on high readiness levels and training schedules. I learned many different roles and positions during my 8 years but mostly great team work and problem solving skills.
fun and challenging
34 Services Battalion/ Weapon Technician (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC22 March 2017
A challenging place to work but lots of benefits and good salary. Differents positions depending on the interest of people. I like mechanics so I choose to become a technician.
the military is a lifestyle not just a job
BOMBARDIER (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MB15 March 2017
I spent 15 of the last 25 yrs in the military I released at the end of my second contract and soon realized how much I missed the life. due to personal reasons it took 10 yrs to re-enlist but would do it again anytime. now that I am retired I miss the camaraderie and bond between the brothers in arms
Pros
free clothes for life (work uniforms)
Cons
extended work hours away from home
Not a job, it's a way of life.
Command Net Radio Operator (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON13 March 2017
The Army is like a large family. The people you work with will become your best friends. The experiences you have with the Army is like no other in this world. You get to travel with your best friends, learn and do new and exciting things you never thought possible. Every day is an adventure, one minute you could be working behind a computer and the next minute bombing down a back trail in an armoured vehicle. There is truly no life like it.
Pros
Training second to none
Cons
Longs hours, away from home a lot.
You Discover Yourself and what you are capable of
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON, Lahr, Germany, Shilo MB & Regina SK10 March 2017
The CAF is a terrific job. I joined in 1988 right out of high school. I learned discipline, team work and leadership. I highly recommend the CAF. Great place to discover yourself and what you are capable of as a person.
What I didn't learn in school with books, I learned through life skill learning and became a complete person.
Pros
Lots of exciting and challenging training
Cons
Lots of time spent away from home
Great first job
Private (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC8 March 2017
I worked here straight out of school. It was a great learning experience. Great group of leaders. Wide range of learning opportunities. Would recommend this to anyone interested. Lots of room for advancement opportunities.
Good hardworking people working towards common goal
Ancillary Crew Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
Everyday was never the same. Hardest part oif the job was deployments from family and friends. Most enjoyable part was comradery and learning new skills that would save lives.
very strict and no career flexibility
ATIS tech (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2017
There is no career flexibility and little posting flexibility. I would say it's good if you are able to rise in promotion to higher ranks before retirement or get your choice of career. But if not it's not enough to warrant less than you deserve.
Pros
security and improved regular rank salary
Cons
forced retirement, no career flexibility
Exciting, Challenging, its not a job its a life style
Army Communications Infromation Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, Ontario, Canada1 March 2017
Day to Day activities include time for physical training, development of subordinates and mentoring from superiors

Opportunities to progress to the level where you can influence and lead the institution.

Ensuring the security and safety of the people that live in your country and standing up for the rights of others.

Team cohesion, it doesn't matter where you come from or what you look like, you all become soldiers and one large family
Pros
Continous Learning environment, Team cohesion, and being a part of something larger than yourself
Cons
Time away from family
Great life experience
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON27 February 2017
Working with the Canadian Armed Forces is a great career to gain a wide range of life experiences, friendships, adversities and heartache. It teaches you how to be a true leader and makes you realize the body has no limits.
Incredible Work Setting
Recruit (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC22 February 2017
The Canadian Armed Forces is an incredible work environment, the people, the atmosphere, everything. I enjoy my time at work and benefit from what I learn Day to day.
Good Employer
AIR COMBAT SYSTEM'S OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 February 2017
Good experience over all. Lots of opportunities and experiences you can't get anywhere else. Research the lifestyle because it may not be for everyone.
Excellent Way of Life
SIGNALS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Canada20 February 2017
The military may not be for everyone, but for those of us who hear the call of duty to our country it is a period of time in which we treasure, in my time in the military I learned a wide range of skills with I finely tuned, during my time I learned to deal with high stress situations with ease, developed excellent teamwork and team management skills, along with learning various fields that will help jumpstart my civilian life. The only downside to the military is the time away from your family.
Pros
Amazing experiance
Cons
Time away from family
Great place for a young person
Infantry (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2014
I was in the infantry. I would suggest joining right out of high school and serving a contract. Some of the best times and some of the worst times I have had will always be in the army
Pros
Friends, experiences
Cons
Away from home a lot with no compensation
Great experience
CORPORAL - DETACHMENT COMMANDER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2014
Learned a lot
Great experience for a young person. Better than flipping burgers mcdonald's. You will learn to push your mind and body to limits you never thought possible and then exceed them. You will learn to adapt and overcome
Fun and very diverse place to work.
Various positions & ranks/Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Various19 December 2013
Member of a rifle team. Repair and maintain aircraft. Work closely with team members and as an individual.
Multitude of experiences. Very rewarding career.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, Edmonton2 December 2013
Great career for camaraderie. I learned a multitude of skills and leadership techniques. If you worked hard and learned quickly, promotions and further learning opportunity came easily. I did things that I will never experience anywhere else.
good experince
Infantry Rifleman (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2013
this job is not for everybody,its more of a lifeystyle change than anything
Dynamic work environment with a variety of challenges
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 October 2013
The CF had a dynamic work place but at times was unable to see other options. Very often there would only be one acceptable way to solve a problem when there were a variety of options that would have been more efficient or logical. At times communication would break down because there were very few people assigned to a task that was much too large for them, resulting in a backlog of paperwork. This backlog could be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years resulting in non-payment of benefits to members.
Good place to work, lot's of challenges
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC1 October 2013
Everyday we get to work, we go out for a jog of about 3 miles, after that we carry on for the day. We practice our skills with weapons, drive armored vehicules and much more. We are always working by two, some communication is important. Hardest part of the job is when we go out on exercises or on a deployement.
Enjoyable part, we do things that normal people won't ever do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5