Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Friendly and very social
3 PPCLI (Current Employee) –  Lancaster Park, AB23 July 2012
A very good work environment for someone looking for a great career with excellent opportunity for advancement. Lots of travel and harsh working conditions.

Not for everyone.
Pros
good amount of vacation time.
Cons
some very long hours and and undesireble work conditions
A different lifestyle
Signal Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2012
The Military was great as a younger man looking to mature in a structured work place but after awhile it had a bit of wear on my work/life balance.

Great place to go for people not sure about what they are going to do with their career and figure things out from there while meeting great people and making good money.

Learned valuable life skills and matured a lot in the forces.
Builds character , discipline and self worth in life
Driver MSE Operations, Finance clerk , Firefighter (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON11 May 2012
Very good career to enter in . The defense of are country is utmost importance to are way of life and freedoms . This has been a great way of life for over 26 years . You tend to respect friends and family and also team work between your colleagues .
Pros
friend, job security, memories, very good work ethics
Cons
friends that are no longer with us, they have departed to young
Travel the world, always learning.
Naval Electronic Sensor Operator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2012
Do your trade, work as a team, love travel, but spending 6-7 months away from the family is very taxing.
Pros
stable, job security, good pay
Cons
away from home to much
Military has been excellent overall
Avionics technician (Former Employee) –  Shearwater, NS2 January 2013
Can be a demanding work environment
I have learned a tremendous amount of important principles and skills from the Armed Forces
For the most management has been very up to the task
Co-Workers have been mostly a positive and learning experience
Hardest part of military service has been family separation
The most enjoyable has been a 5 year tour in Germany
Pros
free room and board in training and on ships.
Cons
extended deployments
I was a diffent way of life
Gunner (Former Employee) –  2 horse in petawwa ont17 November 2012
0530 wake up,Pt for an hour useally 2.5 km run.then inspection and to carie out the tasks for the day. cleaning wepons taken courses and such. i learned how to work as a team. And what u can do if u do work as a team. Also learned how to fire and maintain many differnt wepons. Co - workers were useally fine u can get to much buy your staff being in the army.the hardest part of my job was the being away from friends and family. the best parts was going places and seeing things fireing wepons was kinda the iceing on the cake.
Pros
lots of room to move up
Cons
the amount of time it takes away from you life
Great learning experience and feeling of pride serving Canada.
Private Soldier (Former Employee) –  Moss Park Armoury, Toronto, ON29 December 2012
A typical day at work consisted of performing firearm and marching drills. On different days we also had lectures. Although my commanding officers were very strict, there was always a purpose for every action, and the learning techniques used in the forces were very effective. The hardest part of the job was distance i had to travel. Even though the job was very physically demanding, i had learned a lot along the away.
Pros
the learninng experience was very ruch and valuable
Cons
distance travelled and other personal reasons
Intense, challenging and multi-dimentional place to work.
Medical Assistant/Air Evac Specialist (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC13 September 2013
I learned a great deal about aero-medical evacuation, patient communications, patient assessment, presentations and providing ongoing training for superiors and peers alike.

The hardest part of the job was being on call and providing emergency response for the air field.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients and with the other staff on site.
Pros
Good holidays, good chances for training and good wages.
Cons
Potential for emergency call out on a moments notice.
Canadian Armed Forces
Canadian Armed Forces - 1 Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC29 September 2012
Extremely fulfilling career, superior peer support. Feeling of accomplishing, and self worth. Very good environment for motivation and learning how to work as a team. Recommend this as a career path.
Pros
comradeship, self worth and team building
Cons
long times away from family and friends
Combat Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 April 2013
Regular incentives, paid vacations every year, free medical and dental care.
Pros
as per comments
Cons
away from home for lenghty periods of time
Challenging and rewarding experience.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 January 2013
I was in the infantry, so there was no typical day, everyday was a different thing. I really don't have enough room to write what I learned over 20 years, numerous courses and tours of duty. I learned discipline, responsibility, dedication, accountability, honour, committment, respect and loyalty. My co-workers were harding and all of the above.The hardest part of my job was leaving the forces and the most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers and the sense of accomplishment.
Pros
the training and commoderie
Cons
nil
Multitude of experiences. Very rewarding career.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, Edmonton2 December 2013
Great career for camaraderie. I learned a multitude of skills and leadership techniques. If you worked hard and learned quickly, promotions and further learning opportunity came easily. I did things that I will never experience anywhere else.
Ex Military with previous oil field experience
Corporal - Infantryman, Section Second in Command (Former Employee) –  Edmonton. World wide 28 May 2013
As an Infantry Section Second In Command I was in charge of over seeing 8 personnel. Ensuring the safety of my subordinates and myself while conducting counter-insurgency operations in a hostile environment.
I am able to adapt and overcome any task that I am given to the utmost standard while having minimal supervision.
Pros
Great work atmosphere. Hard and challenging.
Cons
Lots of downtime during certain periods
High Paced Environment
Army (Former Employee) –  Petawawa19 June 2013
During our daily routine, our first priority in the morning was physical fitness. Work consisted of morning briefings on the days, weeks and months activities. Training continued through the day on maintaining our readiness and personal improvement. Daily reports where needed and personnel information was needed to update files and reports for individuals on a daily basis.
Pros
Personal relationships that where brought upon during the daily work with each other.
hours vary depending on what is going on, ( training or on tour or refit after tour,
Infantry (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2012
enjoyed the whole time spent with them. would do it again if I had the chance.
Pros
got to travle some.
Cons
long hours and days away from home
Confidence and miltary traits taught to me through the years
ADMINISTRATION/FINANCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON4 December 2012
The Life Style of the Miliatry has instilled in me self-confdence, discipline, loyalty, integrity dependability and the chance to progress through the military ranks. It was enjoyable to work with co-workers and become one cohesive body of administrators.
Pros
excellent opportunity to see the world and great pay
Cons
on duty 24 hours a day, but you get used to it
Productive and Enjoyable
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 April 2013
It was amazing meeting different people all over Canada and you got weekends off, and the schedule was consistent, and the training was beneficial to my future, and helped me enhance my time management.
exciting job, when you do more before 0900 am that some people do in a day.
Training Master Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2013
After close to 38 years in the Army full and part-ime now, I have relly enjoyed my time. I has give me the opportunity to travel and serve my country around the world. the Army has provided me with with excellent disciplin nd work ethic that Iam sure are very valuable assets for a civilian organisation or company.
Good place to work, lot's of challenges
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC1 October 2013
Everyday we get to work, we go out for a jog of about 3 miles, after that we carry on for the day. We practice our skills with weapons, drive armored vehicules and much more. We are always working by two, some communication is important. Hardest part of the job is when we go out on exercises or on a deployement.
Enjoyable part, we do things that normal people won't ever do.
Cant talk about it
Army (Former Employee) –  North Bay17 October 2012
Cant talk about it, You would have to join to find out for yourself. Its one of those jobs where everything is a secret.
Pros
good career
Cons
not for every one

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5