Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Excellent Way of Life
SIGNALS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Canada20 February 2017
The military may not be for everyone, but for those of us who hear the call of duty to our country it is a period of time in which we treasure, in my time in the military I learned a wide range of skills with I finely tuned, during my time I learned to deal with high stress situations with ease, developed excellent teamwork and team management skills, along with learning various fields that will help jumpstart my civilian life. The only downside to the military is the time away from your family.
Pros
Amazing experiance
Cons
Time away from family
Great place for a young person
Infantry (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2014
I was in the infantry. I would suggest joining right out of high school and serving a contract. Some of the best times and some of the worst times I have had will always be in the army
Pros
Friends, experiences
Cons
Away from home a lot with no compensation
Great experience
CORPORAL - DETACHMENT COMMANDER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2014
Learned a lot
Great experience for a young person. Better than flipping burgers mcdonald's. You will learn to push your mind and body to limits you never thought possible and then exceed them. You will learn to adapt and overcome
Fun and very diverse place to work.
Various positions & ranks/Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Various19 December 2013
Member of a rifle team. Repair and maintain aircraft. Work closely with team members and as an individual.
Multitude of experiences. Very rewarding career.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, Edmonton2 December 2013
Great career for camaraderie. I learned a multitude of skills and leadership techniques. If you worked hard and learned quickly, promotions and further learning opportunity came easily. I did things that I will never experience anywhere else.
good experince
Infantry Rifleman (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2013
this job is not for everybody,its more of a lifeystyle change than anything
Dynamic work environment with a variety of challenges
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 October 2013
The CF had a dynamic work place but at times was unable to see other options. Very often there would only be one acceptable way to solve a problem when there were a variety of options that would have been more efficient or logical. At times communication would break down because there were very few people assigned to a task that was much too large for them, resulting in a backlog of paperwork. This backlog could be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years resulting in non-payment of benefits to members.
Good place to work, lot's of challenges
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 October 2013
Everyday we get to work, we go out for a jog of about 3 miles, after that we carry on for the day. We practice our skills with weapons, drive armored vehicules and much more. We are always working by two, some communication is important. Hardest part of the job is when we go out on exercises or on a deployement.
Enjoyable part, we do things that normal people won't ever do.
exciting job, when you do more before 0900 am that some people do in a day.
Training Master Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2013
After close to 38 years in the Army full and part-ime now, I have relly enjoyed my time. I has give me the opportunity to travel and serve my country around the world. the Army has provided me with with excellent disciplin nd work ethic that Iam sure are very valuable assets for a civilian organisation or company.
Intense, challenging and multi-dimentional place to work.
Medical Assistant/Air Evac Specialist (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC13 September 2013
I learned a great deal about aero-medical evacuation, patient communications, patient assessment, presentations and providing ongoing training for superiors and peers alike.

The hardest part of the job was being on call and providing emergency response for the air field.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients and with the other staff on site.
Pros
Good holidays, good chances for training and good wages.
Cons
Potential for emergency call out on a moments notice.

Want to know more about Canadian Armed Forces?

Ask a question
Hardest thing I have done in my life so far.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 August 2013
During my time with the military I have had the chance to work with great accomplished chefs. I have learned to make a lot of products from scratch due to the great development from my leaders. A typical day at work can range from feeding anywhere from 100 to 350 people on a busy day in a cafeteria style setting. Most enjoyable part of the job is putting out great quality food for our diners.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Tendency to move around a lot, a lot of unknowns.
good
basic training  (Former Employee) –  canada 21 June 2013
running standing at attention then go to sleep and and wake up and do it all over again
High Paced Environment
Army (Former Employee) –  Petawawa19 June 2013
During our daily routine, our first priority in the morning was physical fitness. Work consisted of morning briefings on the days, weeks and months activities. Training continued through the day on maintaining our readiness and personal improvement. Daily reports where needed and personnel information was needed to update files and reports for individuals on a daily basis.
Pros
Personal relationships that where brought upon during the daily work with each other.
Ex Military with previous oil field experience
Corporal - Infantryman, Section Second in Command (Former Employee) –  Edmonton. World wide 28 May 2013
As an Infantry Section Second In Command I was in charge of over seeing 8 personnel. Ensuring the safety of my subordinates and myself while conducting counter-insurgency operations in a hostile environment.
I am able to adapt and overcome any task that I am given to the utmost standard while having minimal supervision.
Pros
Great work atmosphere. Hard and challenging.
Cons
Lots of downtime during certain periods
Combat Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 April 2013
Regular incentives, paid vacations every year, free medical and dental care.
Pros
as per comments
Cons
away from home for lenghty periods of time
Fun, hard life but gives you a feeling of pride
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Saint Jean12 April 2013
A typical day is walk up at 4:30 am get ready and go eat breakfast followed by class or other activities
Great Job Experience
Range Booking Non-Commissioned Officer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB8 April 2013
Throughout my career I worked as a Medical Technician/Assistant, Administrative Manager, Safety Warden, Patrolman and various other positions within the Forces. I developed many useful skills that will carry over to my future career.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
budget cuts
Productive and Enjoyable
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 April 2013
It was amazing meeting different people all over Canada and you got weekends off, and the schedule was consistent, and the training was beneficial to my future, and helped me enhance my time management.
learning to be in military
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC12 March 2013
I thought I wanted to join forces, but found out that that was not for me.
Armored Soldier
Armored Crewman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2013
Operated and maintained armored vehicles, their equipment and weapons systems in a combat role.
Pros
lots of time off.
Cons
lots of time away from home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5