Canada Safeway Limited Quality Assurance & Consumer Protection Department has an opening for the position of Quality Assurance Technologist. The primary purpose of the position will be to conduct product reviews, provide direction as to improvements in overall product quality & support Quality Assurance functions at the Calgary Corporate Office.
- Four year college degree in food science, chemistry, or a related field.
- Three – five years experience in Quality Assurance and laboratory experience.
- Sensory evaluation techniques and skills.
- Excellent PC skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint & database programs.
- Thorough understanding of lot sampling, AQL’s and SPC techniques.
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Excellent analytical judgment with confidence to act.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong analytical and technical writing skills required.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills required.
- Energetic, self-motivated and the ability to manage multiple projects and work with multifunctional teams.
- Ability to motivate, lead and influence various levels of the organization.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 40 lb. or more.
- 10% travel required.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage product quality evaluation projects.
- Work closely with Category Development Managers, Product Development, Supplier Quality Managers and suppliers to identify product evaluation and improvement projects.
- Conduct quality evaluations on Consumer Branded products.
- Create and disseminate quality analysis reports. Draw conclusions, make recommendations and follow up with implementation status.
- Conduct lot sampling, product quality analysis, and approval/rejection reviews.
- Review product quality, including customer complaints with vendors and initiate corrective action.
- Monitor quality and technical advances of competitive products and initiate competitive quality changes.
- Provide clear corrective feedback to vendors and manage product improvements.
- Create and communicate executive reports and address key findings across multifunctional teams.
- Organize, edit and publish quality content within quality access database.
- Participate in presentations to provide updates to Quality Assurance Team.
- Conduct and manage evaluation projects for proposed existing product/new vendor approval process.
- Manage supplier quality improvement program including but not limited to customer complaint reduction and product/process improvement.
- Identify product opportunities to improve quality and brand competitiveness. Collaborate with management to effectively reach a consensus.
- Actively participate and serve as a technical resource for the QA, Product Development and Marketing Teams.
- Conduct product withdrawals and recalls in the absence of Regional Manager Supplier Quality.