Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Very good benefits and dynamic place to work
Business Intelligence/ AU-02 Senior Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2014
Must have a great deal of self discipline to stay on task and meet dead lines.
Significant amount of your time is interaction with the public
Great management team and co-worker
Continuous learning environment.
Pros
great job/life balance
Cons
no comments
Tax Payer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2014
On a day to day basis I answered phone calls regarding personal income tax. I have dealt with so many different individuals and so many different situations.
Very fasr paced working environment and quality is very important. They give you all the tools that are required to do the job effectively and efficeintly, all you need to do is the research as every call you take is different.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
some calls can be very difficult
Great work/life balance, but not a stimulating/challenging job
Excise Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto AreaSeptember 4, 2014
Pros - great work life balance; good benefits and flex work arrangements

Cons - difficult to advance, top heavy, lots of government red tape, work is not challenging enough
Good work-life balance
Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2014
flexible work, enough sick leave, 3 weeks vacation paid
Very approachable co-workers and managers
Pros
flexible work, enough sick leave, 3 weeks vacation paid
Cons
short break, few social events
Fun place to work at
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2014
A typical day would be to troubleshoot problems remotely or physically;
I learned a lot about troubleshooting issues;
Management was pretty good;
The co-workers were awesome.
Good environment, lots of friendly people, decent work.
Community Income Tax Preparer (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2014
Mostly complete and assist clients on their personal Tax Return. Majority of the training is learn on the job by yourself, the webinar online trainng is not good. Co-workers are extremely helpful if you dont understand and need help and they are easy to talk to.
job work balance very good
General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2014
Overall was good place for me to work like benefits and salaries and job work balance.
Pros
salary/benefits
Cons
job security
Interesting work but management and team work almost inexistant.
Relief Request Screener (Former Employee) –  Surrey Tax Centre, Surrey BCJuly 7, 2014
Extremely difficult to get information necessary to do my work.
Information asked to different co-workers was different, or incomplete.
When asked the same question twice to the same person, got two different answers.
Most of the information is not written anywhere, and yet whan I asked for it I was tols: "You're supposed to know it"... or "You will have to learn it the same way I did, bit by bit".
Pros
good salary.
Cons
team leader has her favorite team member. information not available most of the time.
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Quiet but constant.
Assessment & Benefits Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  2215 Gladwin Crescent, Ottawa ONJuly 2, 2014
The work was fairly steady, we rarely had days where we weren't busy. On the off day that we weren't our supervisors would often have us helping the other divisions. A usual day entailed going down the list of cases, calling people up and making sure our information was correct.

It was a nice, quiet work environment and I genuinely liked everyone on my team. The hardest part was adjusting to the frequent changes in policy or procedure. They didn't change day to day, but often enough that we'd have to re-evaluate how we approached things and adjust accordingly.

I'd say the best part of the job was definitely the flexible hours - you could elect to put in extra time each day to get more time off later, which worked great for my schedule.
Pros
friendly, helpful environment with good support (and benefits!)
Cons
the days could sometimes feel long, and cold-calling people is never pleasant.
Excellent work life balance.
Excise Tax Auditor, Term Contract (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 24, 2014
CRA is great organization to work with as you become part of providing quality service to the Canadian citizens and CRA provides work-life balance for it's employees via various flexible work options.
Working in the tax department
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2014
Learning how to navigate the website to find information and which departments to transfer the customer to in order to get them up to date and accurate information. Tracking all calls for call drivers information. I found this job both challenging and informative.
Pros
confidence and experience in asking questions to be able to give the customer what they need.
Cons
was on a contractual basis and not alot of opportunity for permanency
great learning experience
TPR Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 8, 2014
learning everyday
co-operation among co-workers
good hours
good pay
Productive fun place to work
Data Capture Operator (Current Employee) –  Sudbury ONMay 28, 2014
Great job
Data entry for T1 income taxes
great management
amazing co-workers
positive environment
Loved the hours I worked like 7am to 3pm
General Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 23, 2014
Learned a different way of filing, labelled folders, etc, Liked my team leader and got along with my co workers.
Pros
liked kidding around with some of my co workers at break time.
Cons
didn't like the production part of the job.
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 20, 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
work ethics of a permanent employee vs a term employee is very difinitive.
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 8, 2014
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security
Prestigious work
Taxpayer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2014
Great people to work with. Learned a lot from different people. Fast paced environment. High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLApril 27, 2014
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Pros
excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons
term position -- not secure.
wow
Assessment clerk (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 23, 2014
the clients are the best, always happy to see you
the team is great