Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great environment
Trust Compliance Officer (GST) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2012
A typical day at work would be answering my voice mails messages. Answering the phone calls from day to day. Reviewing e-mail and also letters from clients. Receiving fax and sending fax.
I learned a lot working for Canada Revenue Agency, regarding GST-HST.
The hardest part of my job was the amount documents I would have to mail per day but I would – more... organize my time for the most important documents. – less
Production driven environment
Test Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2012
Cons: term employment
The testing analyst position is specific CRA in is operations.
a typical day at work
T3 Assessment Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours, multicultural peers and proactive environment
Cons: security due to contract.
assess estate and trusts accounts
meet required production rates
assit peers in complex accounts
receive feed backs on assessments
contact clients when need be
Excellent place to work.
Collections Contact Officer/ Taxpayer Services (Current Employee), Hamilton, OntarioOctober 13, 2012
Excellent place to work. There is a very supportive management team and there are many opportunities for self-improvement.
good pay no future
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: hard to get permanent
Its a repeatative job.
The management does look after their staff when able to.
Co-workers are great. We help each other out when we have any problems.
The hardest part of the job its that its repeatative. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a pay cheque.
There is minimal talking going on in the office.
Rewarding place to work, Strong team concept
Clerical Support Clerk, Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee), Kingston,ONOctober 3, 2012
Pros: helping people, working independently & in a dynamic team
Cons: having to limit time spend with clients who were grieving or lonely
A typical day at work involved providing a high degree of customer service to resolve client enquiries both by telephone and in person.
I maintained a database of Clearance Requests received for estates and processed them, obtained all documents and information required for auditors to perform their review to approve or deny the clearance certificate, – more... then completed review process by analyzing account balances and after ensuring all balances were clear issued Clearance Certificates. Where amounts were owed I was responsible to collect them before the Certificate could be issued.

I also sorted and distributed incoming correspondence for the Estate Section. I performed Inventory control and created reports as required to management. Created letters to request missing information, advising of denials, advising of transfer of requests to other offices based on address of the executor(s).

I learned the most important requirements when dealing with people who have experienced personal loss were empathy and patience.

The hardest part of the job was having to limit time spent with those who were grieving their loss. But the most rewarding part was when I could help them through their difficult time. I often had verbal feedback thanking me for my patience and caring handling of their request.

I was part of an excellent team of professionals who – less
Productive, great place to work.
COLLECTIONS OFFICER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: benefits and very flexible with work hours
Cons: not a stable job, and would like to advance in my career and there is not alot of room to do so.
•a typical day at work
I would manage an inventory with client's that i would deal with until a tax liability is resolved. On a typical day, i would write summaries and determines plans of actions to resolve an account, and act on my plans when necessary.

•what you learned
I have learnt to negotiate, deal with difficult situations, lots of knowledge – more... about taxes, client service skills, effective interactive communication skills, preparing financial statements.

•management
Management is very flexible and works around your life to accomodate different lifestyles.

•your co-workers
Very friendly, kind, open to new things, respectful, helpful.

•the hardest part of the job
Demanding payment

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Being able to work in a comfortable environment. – less
worked at the mail room distributing outgoing mail to different departments
Summer Student Internship (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: long hours
Cons: short lunches
distributing outgoing mail to the appropriate departments
Top tier employer
Manager (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: superior and highly professional work environment
Strong management and leadership give clear corporate direction. Employees are well supported and although union exists for additional support of employee, this is hardly necessary as every effort is made to overcome concerns before they get unruly.
Training and career opportunities abound.
Strong emphasis on team collaboration, professionalism, integrity – more... and respectfulness. – less
fun work environment
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 10, 2012
I really enjoyed my term at CRA, the only thing that I didn't like was that it was a contract position, I wish it would have been full time.
The typical desk job
Analyst/Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: pension, benefits and pay
Cons: sitting in front of a computer all day.
I would write code for web pages, databases and applications to track and monitor application going from different stages in the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).

Chaired meetings with the different groups working on each project, providing updates on their section.

Management were always willing to work with you and help resolve any issue that – more... arose. Projects were always planned well in advance and all required material and services secured in advance.

Co-workers were not ones to ruffle feathers, but got their job done. Some co-workers were keen for advancement, but most were working towards retirements.

Hardest part of the job was getting around the red tape. Getting anything accomplished required 6 approvals and resources from 5 different departments.

Pay, benefits and home/work life were all the best parts of the job. Pension was provided for those who qualified. – less
Learned a new software
Tax Return Volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: get more experience and learn how to use ufile
Cons: short term volunteering, need more time
Being a volunteer with CRA is enjoyable and important in my school life, I have been learning a new software, which is very essential for the daily works. I hope I can get more chance with them
Federal Government
Electronic Data Capture (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2012
• Key information and income tax return data for International Tax Payer at Canada Revenue Agency-International Tax Service Office
Excellent job
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2012
Pros: served canadians!
Cons: lots of work!
Enjoying the fast paced environment, maintained production targets!
technical advisor for corporate taxes
Business Returns Officer (Former Employee), winnipeg, mbAugust 30, 2012
wages were very good, co-workers were great but I found management to be paranoid
Very productive place to work at
General Duties Clerk and EDC Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2012
Pros: walking distance from home, good salary, nice people, personal days, holidays
Cons: less than 3 month contract this year, no holidays, half hour lunches
I worked on contract at Canada Revenue: First I started off as:
Electronice Data Capture Operator from Mar 15th to June 2, 2010
Then I applied for General Duties Clerk and worked on contract from: Feb 21st to May 13th, 2011 and then called back to work another contract from: Feb 20th to April 27th, 2012.
My co-workers were friendly to work with. The – more... hardest part of the job was you always had to keep up with the production otherwise you would not make it back on the callback list when it was time for your review. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was walking distance from my home and I got paid very well working there. – less
Very good training
Tax Volunteer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 22, 2012
I received very good training at Canada Revenue Agency. I cannot provide more review because I worked as a volunteer on a short term basis.
Productive and fast-paced environment and fun to work
Mailroom Clerk - Folder (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 13, 2012
Pros: we had an agreeable lunch room.
Cons: we found there were no cons.
A typical day at work would have been fast-paced but very enjoyable.
I learned how to work independently but also able to help out when
others needed it in the office. Management was very helpful at all
times. My co-workers were also helpful at all times. There was no
part of the job that I found to be hard. The most enjoyable part of
the job was the – more... job itself. – less
Great place to retire, bad place to work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2012
Pros: training, good work/life balance, pension
Cons: lack of opportunity, no incentives to perform, insensitive management
You have the values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity and Co-Operation shoved in your face every day but the favor is rarely returned to employees.

Things like education, motivation and production will get you a pat on the back but knowing the right people will get you places. There is a formalized hiring process but you quickly realize that the – more... decisions are made before the process begins. How you're rewarded for performance is schizophrenic, sometimes its quantitative, sometimes its qualitative, you really have no idea until its too late. Career management is virtually non-existent, there's a good chance you're doing the same repetitive job for the rest of your life.

If you don't sweat the small stuff and want to wait 30 years for your pension this is a great place to kill 8 hours a day. If you have any drive to do anything more than the bare minimum, managers will take advantage of you until your burnt out and you'll have nothing to show for it. – less
Good place to work at
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee), calgary ABJuly 6, 2012
Pros: good schedule
Cons: less advancements
CRA is a really good place to work at. I didnt feel alot of opportunities for career advancement.