Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Excellent pay
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 May 2015
It was a fast paced environment and reaching stats was the hardest part. I completed the program with 60 returns per hour. Management and co-workers were excellent with training and assisting when we had difficulty. I liked working independently. We had the option to do competencies for further work if jobs became available.
Pros
Great pay and a feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Short term contract
I had a great time working at CRA with some really exceptional co workers.I learned a great deal from taking courses offered by CRA and from working
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2015
A typical day would be working and conducting audits at the taxpayer's place of business. My work also consisted of spending time in the office in order to plan and prepare for future audits.
Pros
Working at your own pace
Cons
Traveloing distance to get to taxpayers
Very friendly atmosphere in the office.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2015
- People working here are friendly and cooperative.
- It is a union environment, however management and union work very well together.
- Red tape reduction committees are working hard to reduce the overall ed tape.
- Our focus is on customer service
- Our organization has become one of the best to work with in Canada and worldwide.
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and Vancouver25 March 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
Totally Incompetent
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario3 April 2015
I reported a case to the investigation department in 2006 and still nothing is done. I provided court documents, banking records and sworn testimony to prove the case so I really feel this government service should be privatized. This government department is nothing but a joke and to think my tax dollars are paying there wages.
Pros
do nothing all day
Cons
not enough vacation days so I have to show up to get paid
Great workplace with great Team.
Junior Program Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2014
It was great to work there from May 2010 up until December 2013. I had the opportunity to learn a lot, specially about audit files, the way they are selected, the reason why they audit, the tools used to do quality audits, and much more.

I also liked it there, because as a team we would spend time at lunch for example to eat together, or sometimes during a 15 mins break time we would talk, joke and then head back to work. This helped develop great relationships and also helped with the working environment. Management was nice overall.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Having to perform some of the day to day Administrative tasks.
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2015
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Pros
Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Good chance for advancement
SP-04 - Testing Analyst in ATD (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 October 2014
Writing test cases that were required to test the programs used by clients to file income taxes etc. for stability, functionality, etc.
Learned how to write test cases and how to test them as well as learning how to use the programs.
Management--okay
Co-workers=Great
Hardest part of job was taking exams frequently, stressful.
I enjoyed all the people I worked with and enjoyed the compressed hours.
Pros
Was able to work compressed hours.
Cons
Long drive
Tax Payer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, ON10 September 2014
On a day to day basis I answered phone calls regarding personal income tax. I have dealt with so many different individuals and so many different situations.
Very fasr paced working environment and quality is very important. They give you all the tools that are required to do the job effectively and efficeintly, all you need to do is the research as every call you take is different.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Some calls can be very difficult
CRA provides a great service to the Canadian taxpayer
Income Tax/Excise Tax Auditor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2015
The employees at the Canada Revenue Agency do a great job for the taxpayers of Canada. There job can be stressful dealing when dealing with the public. They are just like you and I and deserve to be dealt with on a professional and business manner.
Great once you get a non-contract position
Collections Contact Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 October 2014
I thoroughly enjoy the supportive management and focus on health and well-being. They strive to make sure you are looked after mentally and physically.

My one complaint is job security. Being hired on a contract basis makes me feel less secure despite having a specific job set.

The hardest part of being a collections officer is summoning the fortitude to force your help upon people who really don't want it.

The most enjoyable part is that you work with people who can understand your struggle and will support you.
Pros
Health and dental benefits, flexible work arrangements, high degree of independence
Cons
The union and the government have not come to a formal agreement on pay in the last two years.
Highly stressful competitive environment
Assessment Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 August 2014
The Team Leaders at Revenue Canada were kind, result driven, individuals. As part of the job flexibility, ability to work with others, ability to work under stress and fixed deadlines was a must. The constant change of work assignments, and staff, made this job interesting. The fact that a large part of the jobs were contract in nature however, has made me lose interest. Looking for something more permanent, with opportunities for job growths.
Pros
Working independently, good pay
Cons
Uncertainty of future work
Productive company with the chances maximum career growth.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2014
Prepared simple to complex tax returns for Canadian cities.
Reconciled statements against records and resolved any discrepancies with clients.
Reviewed financial records, statements and documents to determine schedules that were needed to prepare tax returns.
Provided tax clients with sufficient information and advice to get the most from their returns.
Great first job experience
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 July 2014
As a student, I was able to gain this experience through coop. This lead to full-time work after high school and before college. My manager and supervisors were such a great help in guiding me through that time in my life through their own professionalism and strong work ethics.They enlightened me on women in business and encouraged my own independent qualities that I now use to gain my place in my new career.
Pros
good solid employment background
Cons
limited career growth
Interesting work but management and team work almost inexistant.
Relief Request Screener (Former Employee) –  Surrey Tax Centre, Surrey BC7 July 2014
Extremely difficult to get information necessary to do my work.
Information asked to different co-workers was different, or incomplete.
When asked the same question twice to the same person, got two different answers.
Most of the information is not written anywhere, and yet whan I asked for it I was tols: "You're supposed to know it"... or "You will have to learn it the same way I did, bit by bit".
Pros
Good salary.
Cons
Team leader has her favorite team member. Information not available most of the time.
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 July 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Working in the tax department
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2014
Learning how to navigate the website to find information and which departments to transfer the customer to in order to get them up to date and accurate information. Tracking all calls for call drivers information. I found this job both challenging and informative.
Pros
confidence and experience in asking questions to be able to give the customer what they need.
Cons
was on a contractual basis and not alot of opportunity for permanency
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 May 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
Great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
Work Ethics of a Permanent Employee vs a Term Employee is very difinitive.
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL27 April 2014
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Pros
Excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons
Term position -- not secure.
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2014
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Revenue Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location