Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 20, 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
work ethics of a permanent employee vs a term employee is very difinitive.
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 8, 2014
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLApril 27, 2014
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Pros
excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons
term position -- not secure.
Excellent Example of Work Life Balance in a Stressful Environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2014
Excellent example of an employer dealing with work life balance. A call centre is a very stressful environment and the CRA provides all kinds of activities to break up the monotony and stresses of the job: some are off-the-wall but fun. There is also 24-hour access to all kinds of professional advice.The diversity in the workplace makes for an interesting and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
on the job activities during work hours are excellent; 24-hour access to professional services.
Cons
no job security: employment contract-based.
Excellent place to work
Income Tax Represenataive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 25, 2014
The work day starts form 9:00 am to 5pm. I love the environment. People are very friendly and always willing to help on matters that you are not aware of ,for example, new implement tax policies. Moreover, i got the opportunity to learn and use new tax soft-wares, how to deal with more technical tax issues such as, RRSP, and Business Income.The hardest part of the job is how attention to detail you have to be over long periods of time ,but meeting new people was very rewarding which made my stay there very enjoyable!
Canada Revenue Agency Review
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 23, 2014
Excellent place to work and gain experience. I got in through the Aboriginal Internship and it was a great learning experience that I will only benefit from. The managers and coworkers are all very friendly and career driven. The hardest part of the job is getting your contract renewed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the awesome work atmosphere.
Pros
own cubical, reasonable hours, good pay, freedom
Productive day providing assitance to co-workers and entering information into the system.
Taxpayer Service Agent/Coach (Former Employee) –  Surrey, B.CAugust 28, 2013
My typical day at work is to assist others at all times by answering questions, guiding them through the manual, ensure they understand the process and procedures in order to process the tax returns. I have learned to train co-workers on various software and system in order to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is time management where I must ensure that I assist others as well as achieve my target of the day. I enjoy helping others, coaching and mentoring employees.
Pros
opportunity to help others
Cons
lack of growth in the organization
All positions are Term and Management is terrible.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2013
Management treats you like you should be grateful to have a job by constantly giving you contract extension on the last day of your contract. They always defend by saying they never know their operating budget. This is just a lie there is not one business government or private sector that could operate in such a manner. When you tell them you need to arrange for childcare or other life events, they tell you that you have to tell them that day if you accept a contract or not. It's just ridiculous, they expect a lot of loyalty and drop of the hat from you but give nothing in return.
A friendly workplace with great work hours
Non-Filer/Non-Registrant Audit Trainee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2013
The work required ensuring that clients complied with CRA guidelines and filed their taxes.

Needed to review individual and corporate tax returns and ensure they were filed on time or at the least filed. Started a few projects trying to find non-filers in the trucking and self-employment industry.

Co-workers were friendly and willing to show me the ropes.
The hardest part was getting used to the norms and the ERP system in place.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
was not a challenging job
Productive and fast-paced environment and fun to work
Mailroom Clerk - Folder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 13, 2012
A typical day at work would have been fast-paced but very enjoyable.
I learned how to work independently but also able to help out when
others needed it in the office. Management was very helpful at all
times. My co-workers were also helpful at all times. There was no
part of the job that I found to be hard. The most enjoyable part of
the job was the job itself.
Pros
we had an agreeable lunch room.
Cons
we found there were no cons.
Summer Student
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 16, 2012
I was hired as a summer student after three interviews, and placed at the regional office for Real Property in the Finance and Administration department. I assisted project leaders by completing assignments that were given to me as they needed. I learned a lot about the professional business world and how to communicate professionally. The hardest part of the job was making a cost analysis report. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my own cubicle and comfy chair to work on.
Pros
nice lunch room, great view, beautiful office building, casual friday
Cons
limited internet
great job and great pay
Data Entry Operator (SEASONAL) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioJanuary 24, 2013
I have been working at CRA for 6 years now. I really like the job. I enter all the information on T4's, T5's, T3's forms. We need to have the speed and accuracy which I qualify for every year for my return at CRA.
It is a routine type of day and sometimes helping others with workload. They are very nice to work with and communicate with.
The hardes part of the job would be not having enough work to continue our contract. Other than that it is great.
I would like to work full time with them but it is very hard.
Challenging to work for the federal government
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Penticton, British ColumbiaFebruary 3, 2013
On the phone all day taking calls from tax payers who received collection letters or requirements to pay seizing bank accounts. Very stressful but the best part is getting someone out of collections by with a payment plan that may take up to two years awesome feeling. Helping people; problem solving are my best skills.

Co-workers very supportive and team players.

the hardest part is when people are in due to financial circumstances beyond their control and having no way to pay. We could not help then in our department.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
stressful
Great work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 8, 2013
-Answering phone calls in regards to income tax enquiries
-Learned the basics of filling out a tax return
-Fun work environment, great people
-Management and leaders are excellent coaches and role models
-Co-workers are very friendly and helpful at all times
-The hardest part of the job is being unsure of an answer you get asked, you always want to be 100% accurate.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is being around good people and a friendly working environment.
You got as much out of your job as you put in. I took advantage of all courses and training and applied it.
Administration and Field Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 9, 2013
Each day I worked 7.5 hours or longer if I was in travel status. I am a conscientious worker and an independent worker who needs little supervision. I worked various jobs with CRA. The most enjoyable part was the contact with clients and helping them solve their problems, I really enjoyed my co-workers and still keeps in contact. There really was no hard part of the job. I had no problem with management and my experience was always welcomed and used by them, Education was always enforced and because of the nature of the job took the accounting from MUN.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no parking spaces on duckwork st, \nl
Auditor and Examiner of GST/HST Prepayment
Auditor/Examiner (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines OntarioMay 3, 2013
The CRA was great experience, I had the opportunity to work with experts in tax and improve my knowledge of the Excise Tax Act. This job was fundamental in improving my written and verbal communication skills, through dealing with relentless tax payers over the phone and finalizing audits through the computer and proprietary software's. In addition, my time management skills were enhanced, while at the I handled multiple cases at once meeting a budgeted time for each.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
limited interaction
Strict, regulated, official office setting
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2013
I worked at a cubical. I clocked in and clocked out at the designated times (down to the second) to take telephone calls from clients and breaks. I learned the negative effects of office politics and how to avoid them. Management was very helpful in teaching me the importance of proper documentation! The hardest part of my job was coping with a poison atmosphere.
Pros
the salary
Cons
lack of culture among colleagues
Pleasant co-workers and working conditions . Room for advancement. Good remuneration and benifits.
Receptionist/ Law Library Assistant SP3 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2012
On a typical day, my duties are reception duties as well as updating
law library binders. I have various tasks to assist lawyers and their assistants
I have has the opportunity to enhance my computer and database skills.
I find management to be pleasant, encouraging and helpful.
My co-workers are very pleasant and we interact very well.
The most pleasant part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and visitors.
Pros
good salary. monday to friday hours.
Cons
my position is not yet indeterminate.
A very good learning curve
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2012
I enjoyed working with everyone in the department, I enjoyed the position and my responsibilities, unfortunate there was no room for advancement in my position. I had 5 managers and a director to answer to on a daily basis and this at times made it very hard to do my job, do to cut backs a lot of duties came down from management with no further compensation, I loved handling the information sessions as it gave me the opportunity to meet the tax preparer's that we would deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
somewhat secure in the position
Cons
more responsibility no compensation
Good place to gain experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 18, 2013
CRA has excellent pay, and a variety of departments in which you can work. Management and supervisors are very encouraging of employees to better themselves, and there are a lot of employee resources available. Job security is not very good, as it is on a tax season basis. In certain departments there is an emphasis on your statistical requirements and that can be somewhat stressful if you are unable to keep up with those requirements.

4.2