Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Taxpayer Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 11, 2013
- Very challenging work environment
- Redundant work
- Policy
Pros
good salary
Cons
n/a
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
I had a great time working at CRA with some really exceptional co workers.I learned a great deal from taking courses offered by CRA and from working
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 25, 2015
A typical day would be working and conducting audits at the taxpayer's place of business. My work also consisted of spending time in the office in order to plan and prepare for future audits.
Pros
Working at your own pace
Cons
Traveloing distance to get to taxpayers
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 20, 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
work ethics of a permanent employee vs a term employee is very difinitive.
Best
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2015
Absolutely loved working here. Management team was great, all employees in department were friendly and helpful, money was great and many advancement possibilities
Fast paced with strong Teamwork attitude
Document Examiner / Processor and Claims Assessor (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PEFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day at work began with requesting work claims to review. I would spend the morning navigating complex computer programs to ascertain if the clients met requirements to be eligible for GST Rebates. Later morning and afternoons i would make phone calls and request additional information from clients to meet approval standards. I would then review all information and either approve or disallow a GST Rebate. The information needed to be file both electronically and in paper filling, My co-workers and management were both very encouraging and easily shared information so we could succeed as a department. The hardest part of the job was explaining to a client why they did not qualify for a GST Rebate. Government guidelines or very strict and when someone has been eligible in previous years but doesn't qualify in the current year the client can become very frustrated. The best part of the job was helping people complete their claims so they do qualify.
Pros
courses available to taken to advance within the company
Cons
contracts start out at 3 months and then extended in the last week.
Thank you for calling individual enquiries.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2013
The co-workers are pleasant, team leaders tend to behave like bullies, and management doesn't give care what you like. The culture is very cliquey. Some employees can't do anything right, some can do no wrong. Typically the more people in your circle you have working there, the more you can get away with.

The pay is respectable, and benefits (once you've been there a number of months) are respectable. Hours tend to fluctuate from full time to part time (I had my days vary from 5 days a week down to 3 days a week). Emails are sent out, for employees to apply for additional hours, but are not a guarantee.

Job security is virtually non-existent, with employees contracts being renewed on an ongoing basis. Your contract renewal if you are out of favour, will be dangled over your head. This can be very stressful.

Training is decent, but I found myself in hot water for doing exactly what my training instructors told me to do. The standards seem to be anything but standard. Again, this is all depending on if you are "in" or "out" seems to make a big difference.

You pay for your own parking at the Calgary International Airport location it's $40.00/month for the "green" lot which is a pretty hefty walk if you follow the route your're SUPPOSED TO (not jay walking across airport trail) or if there is construction preventing you from jay walking across airport trail. Parking closer will cost you $120.00/month. Noteworthy here is that your employee i.d. will land you 10% off at the airport vendors, by the way.

Your day will start with clocking in and end with clocking out via your telephone.
  more... Every time you clock in and out (breaks, washrooms, etc.) is meticulously detailed and will be reviewed with you by team leaders who spend a good deal of their time chatting with other team leaders or their team members that are in their favour. I've seen team leaders have chat sessions of 30 minutes or longer, while you are constantly answering telephone calls from tax payers.

Your performance will be measured by listening sessions, of which there are two kinds. One involves a coworker listening on another headset, making notes of how you answer enquiries. Another involves a team leader listening without a headset, taking notes as you handle calls. The former is for quality measuring and the latter is for coaching, but both will directly impact your job security. These can be stressful. Often listeners are conditioned to find at least one fault with every call. If fall out of favour, you'll find yourself in an endless cycle of listening sessions, with increasing faults found in your.

Advancement means answering a wider variety of calls, and is handed out based on who is in and who is out. I've seen good agents get passed over for advancement, while incompetent ones are constantly given training and off phone activities.

The environment is fast paced and high conflict, I have been called every name in the book, it's not for thin skin. The pay is up and down, and the job security adds to the stress. Your union is good, but identify too closely with them, and you might find your team leader taking it as an insult to their authority.
Pros
good work location, good pay, good benefits
Cons
low job secuirty, stressful environment, toxic managers
Working at CRA
INCOME TAX AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 29, 2014
There are no typical days with CRA as your work can be as varied as your clients. While many audits have similar steps, every business is unique and as a result employees must be able to adapt techniques used to review issues with previous taxpayers to the unique circumstances of the current audit.

The in-depth exposure to hundreds of businesses provides an experience-based education second to none. Working closely with business owners during an audit provides many opportunities to learn exactly how business are run. In addition to experience-based learning, the Agency also provides extensive internal training as well as some higher level professional development courses. I would say that my formal education gave me an excellent toolbox to work from but my experiences with CRA are where I truly learned about accounting, auditing, and tax.
Pros
flexible schedule and excellent work-life balance
Totally Incompetent
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 3, 2015
I reported a case to the investigation department in 2006 and still nothing is done. I provided court documents, banking records and sworn testimony to prove the case so I really feel this government service should be privatized. This government department is nothing but a joke and to think my tax dollars are paying there wages.
Pros
do nothing all day
Cons
not enough vacation days so I have to show up to get paid
Take Pride in my work
Testing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
I always come to work with a positive attitude and ready to take on my work load. We work and always make the best out of day. I love to help my co-workers whenever they need me.
hardworking and motivated
SOFTWARE PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaDecember 29, 2014
A hardworking, focused and driven individual who has extensive experience of taking ownership of projects and leading teams of analysts, developers, designers, and testers to success. I have a long track record of driving effective teamwork, communication and collaboration to achieve results. I can be an integral part of any software development team, and I am conversant with technologies such as Java, Spring, Hibernate, HTML and CSS. As a true professional I am willing to take full responsibility not only for guiding the development process, but also for the quality of any software and the delivery of the final product. In addition to all of this I am fully comfortable jumping into a high visibility position where I have to learn new concepts, systems, and software independently and quickly. Right now I am looking to join a company that not only encourages new ideas, but also has its sights set on becoming the best custom software development company in the market.
The Canada Revenue Agency
Pension Benefits verification and validation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day in my position is a busy and fulfilling day filled with puzzles and discrepancies in accounts under which I must solve. I learn how to manage my time as in instances some cases may be quite time consuming. We have deadlines to meet therefore I must be diligent in time management.

I work with a great Team, we all excel at one part of the Pensions Verification Program. If lacking information in a certain area we can depend on one another to have information that may help solve the issue. We spend 7.5 hrs daily together and it is a well spent 7.5hrs. We are constantly learning together and in my Department are all Team Players.

The most difficult part of my job, I would have to say is awaiting correspondence from clients. Our clients have a deadline to submit their proof, however if it is just one day late we cannot accept their submission. Unfortunately this happens quite often and it is very disappointing to the clients, but they are notified well in advance on when their submissions are due.

The most enjoyable part of my job is solving the puzzles the difficult cases, time consuming yes, but very challenging.
Pros
in house courses, connexions our library and the various celebrations such as canada day
Cons
i enjoy my job tremendously, however due to family i must look at relocating.
Good place to gain experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 18, 2013
CRA has excellent pay, and a variety of departments in which you can work. Management and supervisors are very encouraging of employees to better themselves, and there are a lot of employee resources available. Job security is not very good, as it is on a tax season basis. In certain departments there is an emphasis on your statistical requirements and that can be somewhat stressful if you are unable to keep up with those requirements.
Top tier employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2012
Strong management and leadership give clear corporate direction. Employees are well supported and although union exists for additional support of employee, this is hardly necessary as every effort is made to overcome concerns before they get unruly.
Training and career opportunities abound.
Strong emphasis on team collaboration, professionalism, integrity and respectfulness.
Pros
superior and highly professional work environment
Enjoyed the time
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2015
It was a great opportunity that definitely allowed me to progress in my career. I'd love to do that job, but my career path is a bit different. I want to pursue financial analysis instead of accounting.
Productive and fun to work Data Entry
Electronic Data Capture (EDC) Operator - SP01 (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 10, 2012
- A typical day at work would be doing Data Entry.
- What i learn is how to be efficient and accurate in everything that i have to key.
- Management is good, i like how she comes to us when she needs to let everyone know what the plans are for the next few days or weeks to come.
- My co-workers are great, their very nice and help full when i need something that i don't seem to get right away.
- The hardest part of the job is when were are told that they is not enough work and we have to take vacation, so we sit at home we wait for the phone call to come back to work,and when they do call they say that we need to stay home another week.
- the most enjoyable part of the job is doing what i liked to do most, which would be keying anything that i am giving, and if my keying is higher than it should be i get to extended.
Tax Payer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2014
On a day to day basis I answered phone calls regarding personal income tax. I have dealt with so many different individuals and so many different situations.
Very fasr paced working environment and quality is very important. They give you all the tools that are required to do the job effectively and efficeintly, all you need to do is the research as every call you take is different.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
some calls can be very difficult
You got as much out of your job as you put in. I took advantage of all courses and training and applied it.
Administration and Field Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 9, 2013
Each day I worked 7.5 hours or longer if I was in travel status. I am a conscientious worker and an independent worker who needs little supervision. I worked various jobs with CRA. The most enjoyable part was the contact with clients and helping them solve their problems, I really enjoyed my co-workers and still keeps in contact. There really was no hard part of the job. I had no problem with management and my experience was always welcomed and used by them, Education was always enforced and because of the nature of the job took the accounting from MUN.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no parking spaces on duckwork st, \nl
GST ACCOUNTING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 3, 2014
It's a good place to work but like any government agency, there's a lot of bureaucracy involved. Management is decent and promotion is difficult due to the rigidity/structure involved.
Great co-workers and management. Flexible schedule with great work life balance.
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2013
I enjoyed working at CRA. You can set your own hours within reason and the people and management was great. Due to the federal budget cuts, advancement and security is not what it used to be. Job can be quite repetitive and have lots of conflict.
Pros
schedule, hours, co-workers
Cons
lots of conflict with clients, repetitive