Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

job work balance very good
General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 July 2014
Overall was good place for me to work like benefits and salaries and job work balance.
Pros
salary/benefits
Cons
job security
boring place. great job security and great pay
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  north york20 April 2014
great pay. great benefits. very relaxed environment. boring place. great job security and great pay
A Hellish nightmare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 September 2015
Average demographic is middle-aged and caucasian. Most "lifer" workers are miserable, behave in a privileged manner, and are amazingly lazy. Management goes on 2-3 hour lunch breaks and some males will sexually harass female employees- nothing will be done about it, other than their eventual transfer to another office. The union is useless and you cannot opt out of paying union dues- they come off your paycheque automatically.
I was told by management that the reason for the high pay rate is to "keep your mouth shut about what goes on around here", i.e. poorly managed/stored classified taxpayer information, huge backlog of work (more than 4 months backdated), among other issues. No proper services for ESL/French-speaking taxpayers unless you reside in Quebec.
You are required to do constant "competency" testing, which is done fortunately for you during work hours (unfortunately for the taxpayers). These are mandatory psychological tests issued to employees to basically ensure that the people they promote are of the same hegemonic mindset that has always existed there.
They say that overtime is voluntary, but if you don't sign up for it you will be shunned and mistreated by management.
Everyone is sleeping with everyone and many employees also show up smelling of liquor. It's really unsettling. There are also never any vegan/vegetarian options at the mandatory staff BBQ's, which alienates some staff members into not participating, for which they are reprimanded.
Employees are also not allowed to pursue any type of social justice activities outside of work. You will be reprimanded
  more... if you are caught participating in activities such as human rights marches or protests, regardless of their message/purpose. You are not allowed to talk to the press for any reason, ever.
Employees who are non-white immigrants, or who possess tattoos and piercings, are not outwardly shunned, but are ridiculed and harassed by other staff members with no repercussion.
If you are hired as a permanent employee automatically, you will have your job for life and can do whatever you want. If you are unfortunate enough to be hired as a contract employee or temp, God help you. They will wait until your permanency status comes up and they will lay you off. If you are hired again, your previous years worked will not be counted toward your permanent status. They have kept term employees on in this manner for literally YEARS with no hope of them ever becoming permanent employees (this is somehow legal). However, you cannot argue with the pay rate or benefits package. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Canada's economy is garbage. What is a little white girl to do?
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Harassment from management, lazy coworkers, gossip, public drunkenness
Good place to work and learn.
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2014
See Resume. Left position to work for non-profit fraternal organization.

Not the type of work I am doing now or want to doo.
Pros
Salary and benefits were excellent
Cons
Stress, deadlines and lots of computer use
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario7 October 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
p
Returns Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2016
The CRA is a great and reliable company to work for. Great management and communication. Everyone should work for the CRA.
Biased work environment
Senior Public Affairs Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa3 February 2014
My managers were a disaster: they played favourites among the staff and prevented me from having adequate contact with clients. In one case they plotted my failure in a specific assignment, but the plot backfired when the client instructed my manager and the one who participated in the plot to modify their work to match the quality of mine.

Although I raised my complaints in writing to management, the latter ignored me utterly; yet when a colleague reported something overheard--admitting that my comment was addressed to no one and that there was no context--management brought me in for questioning regarding a matter I was completely unaware of.

Unable to answer my grievances, the agency's management found a way to "silence" me.

A typical work day: reporting to my boss in the presence of my colleagues that I was available to take on more work and being overtly and embarrassingly ignored in front of my peers. Carrying out make-work projects and even being "assigned" work by a summer student, although I was at the highest administrative level, just below management. I alone in the Agency had to produce a daily report of the tasks I performed....every day!

The racism in CRA management was kept hidden from others but was effective in undermining my career and poisoning my experience in the Public Service.

My most enjoyable experience was serving clients.

I didn't believe the nightmare of bias that was present in Canada's Public Service...until I lived it! I mention all of this only because you asked.
Pros
I met some individuals who were professional and had good self estime.
Cons
Racial bias and poor management
Secure Government Job
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 March 2012
secure job with rich culture and strong values. salary is not satisfactory
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.
was an exciting experience
Community volunteer income tax program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, canada22 November 2015
a typical day at work was quite busy because of different clients trying to file their taxes. i learned how to file tax and use the software which was an amazing experience for me because its outside my area of study. the management and co-workers helped create a positive environment due to their commitment to team work. the hardest part sometimes was the software because it was complex and enjoyable part is basically the new work experience.
Fun to work with other auditors and learn new things.
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2014
Retired on May 13, 2011. Not type of work I am doing now.

See resume.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Stress, deadlines and lots of computer use
Fast paced environment
Taxpayer Service Agent (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 April 2016
Very intense working environment. This job requires high efficiency and accuracy, but the supervisors are very helpful.
Just started as a consultant
(CRA) - IT ANALYST (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 April 2016
Just started this role as a consultant through agency. It's a bit unfair to judge the employer from an outside perspective.
Excellent Example of Work Life Balance in a Stressful Environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2014
Excellent example of an employer dealing with work life balance. A call centre is a very stressful environment and the CRA provides all kinds of activities to break up the monotony and stresses of the job: some are off-the-wall but fun. There is also 24-hour access to all kinds of professional advice.The diversity in the workplace makes for an interesting and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
On the job activities during work hours are excellent; 24-hour access to professional services.
Cons
No job security: employment contract-based.
I learned a lot and did enjoy my work
Taxpayers Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2015
The day begins with the meeting, filling out the required documents and the training. Once the training is finished, we are assigned accounts to work on. Very pleasant and helpful management and the co-workers were very caring and willing to help. In this job I learned about how the government is working to bring the taxes up to date.
Pros
Reputable job
Cons
Hard to get
It was a fun place to work with many opportunities to learn
Interior Design Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2016
It was a great place to work and the employees were very helpful with providing new tips with programs and advice. I was able to experience new programs and have a different understanding of the design field.
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2015
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Pros
Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Very challenging work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 August 2013
- Very challenging work environment
- Redundant work
- Policy
Pros
Good salary
Cons
n/a
Productive but monotonous
General Duties Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnpeg, MB16 January 2016
I was in an unsuitable position as a labourer, not a skilled professional according to my credentials. The position was monotonous, robotic. Communication between team leaders and workers was somewhat lacking. I worked closely with other coworkers that were beneath my skill level and socially/ interpersonally challenging to work with. I needed to find suitable employment and to grow.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad environment
A great job but can be extreamly stressful at times.
mailroom (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 November 2015
First sort all mail received, then open all mail that is not personnel, pick out the cash to be sent to revenue processing, dress the rest of the mail to be sent to other departments, prepare all outgoing mail, insert and meter all outgoing mail, get the shipments ready for outgoing mail for other centres. Every day we learn something new or we adjust our processes to make things easier. We are a great team and generally work together like a well oiled machine. The hardest part of the job is finding enough time to do everything. The most enjoyable part of the job is that time flies.
Pros
the people
Cons
seasonal

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location