Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good pay no future
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: hard to get permanent
Its a repeatative job.
The management does look after their staff when able to.
Co-workers are great. We help each other out when we have any problems.
The hardest part of the job its that its repeatative. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a pay cheque.
There is minimal talking going on in the office.
Rewarding place to work, Strong team concept
Clerical Support Clerk, Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee), Kingston,ONOctober 3, 2012
Pros: helping people, working independently & in a dynamic team
Cons: having to limit time spend with clients who were grieving or lonely
A typical day at work involved providing a high degree of customer service to resolve client enquiries both by telephone and in person.
I maintained a database of Clearance Requests received for estates and processed them, obtained all documents and information required for auditors to perform their review to approve or deny the clearance certificate, – more... then completed review process by analyzing account balances and after ensuring all balances were clear issued Clearance Certificates. Where amounts were owed I was responsible to collect them before the Certificate could be issued.

I also sorted and distributed incoming correspondence for the Estate Section. I performed Inventory control and created reports as required to management. Created letters to request missing information, advising of denials, advising of transfer of requests to other offices based on address of the executor(s).

I learned the most important requirements when dealing with people who have experienced personal loss were empathy and patience.

The hardest part of the job was having to limit time spent with those who were grieving their loss. But the most rewarding part was when I could help them through their difficult time. I often had verbal feedback thanking me for my patience and caring handling of their request.

I was part of an excellent team of professionals who – less
Productive, great place to work.
COLLECTIONS OFFICER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: benefits and very flexible with work hours
Cons: not a stable job, and would like to advance in my career and there is not alot of room to do so.
•a typical day at work
I would manage an inventory with client's that i would deal with until a tax liability is resolved. On a typical day, i would write summaries and determines plans of actions to resolve an account, and act on my plans when necessary.

•what you learned
I have learnt to negotiate, deal with difficult situations, lots of knowledge – more... about taxes, client service skills, effective interactive communication skills, preparing financial statements.

•management
Management is very flexible and works around your life to accomodate different lifestyles.

•your co-workers
Very friendly, kind, open to new things, respectful, helpful.

•the hardest part of the job
Demanding payment

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Being able to work in a comfortable environment. – less
worked at the mail room distributing outgoing mail to different departments
Summer Student Internship (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: long hours
Cons: short lunches
distributing outgoing mail to the appropriate departments
Top tier employer
Manager (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: superior and highly professional work environment
Strong management and leadership give clear corporate direction. Employees are well supported and although union exists for additional support of employee, this is hardly necessary as every effort is made to overcome concerns before they get unruly.
Training and career opportunities abound.
Strong emphasis on team collaboration, professionalism, integrity – more... and respectfulness. – less
fun work environment
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 10, 2012
I really enjoyed my term at CRA, the only thing that I didn't like was that it was a contract position, I wish it would have been full time.
The typical desk job
Analyst/Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: pension, benefits and pay
Cons: sitting in front of a computer all day.
I would write code for web pages, databases and applications to track and monitor application going from different stages in the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).

Chaired meetings with the different groups working on each project, providing updates on their section.

Management were always willing to work with you and help resolve any issue that – more... arose. Projects were always planned well in advance and all required material and services secured in advance.

Co-workers were not ones to ruffle feathers, but got their job done. Some co-workers were keen for advancement, but most were working towards retirements.

Hardest part of the job was getting around the red tape. Getting anything accomplished required 6 approvals and resources from 5 different departments.

Pay, benefits and home/work life were all the best parts of the job. Pension was provided for those who qualified. – less
Learned a new software
Tax Return Volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: get more experience and learn how to use ufile
Cons: short term volunteering, need more time
Being a volunteer with CRA is enjoyable and important in my school life, I have been learning a new software, which is very essential for the daily works. I hope I can get more chance with them
Federal Government
Electronic Data Capture (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2012
• Key information and income tax return data for International Tax Payer at Canada Revenue Agency-International Tax Service Office
Excellent job
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2012
Pros: served canadians!
Cons: lots of work!
Enjoying the fast paced environment, maintained production targets!
technical advisor for corporate taxes
Business Returns Officer (Former Employee), winnipeg, mbAugust 30, 2012
wages were very good, co-workers were great but I found management to be paranoid
Very productive place to work at
General Duties Clerk and EDC Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2012
Pros: walking distance from home, good salary, nice people, personal days, holidays
Cons: less than 3 month contract this year, no holidays, half hour lunches
I worked on contract at Canada Revenue: First I started off as:
Electronice Data Capture Operator from Mar 15th to June 2, 2010
Then I applied for General Duties Clerk and worked on contract from: Feb 21st to May 13th, 2011 and then called back to work another contract from: Feb 20th to April 27th, 2012.
My co-workers were friendly to work with. The – more... hardest part of the job was you always had to keep up with the production otherwise you would not make it back on the callback list when it was time for your review. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was walking distance from my home and I got paid very well working there. – less
Very good training
Tax Volunteer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 22, 2012
I received very good training at Canada Revenue Agency. I cannot provide more review because I worked as a volunteer on a short term basis.
Productive and fast-paced environment and fun to work
Mailroom Clerk - Folder (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 13, 2012
Pros: we had an agreeable lunch room.
Cons: we found there were no cons.
A typical day at work would have been fast-paced but very enjoyable.
I learned how to work independently but also able to help out when
others needed it in the office. Management was very helpful at all
times. My co-workers were also helpful at all times. There was no
part of the job that I found to be hard. The most enjoyable part of
the job was the – more... job itself. – less
Great place to retire, bad place to work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2012
Pros: training, good work/life balance, pension
Cons: lack of opportunity, no incentives to perform, insensitive management
You have the values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity and Co-Operation shoved in your face every day but the favor is rarely returned to employees.

Things like education, motivation and production will get you a pat on the back but knowing the right people will get you places. There is a formalized hiring process but you quickly realize that the – more... decisions are made before the process begins. How you're rewarded for performance is schizophrenic, sometimes its quantitative, sometimes its qualitative, you really have no idea until its too late. Career management is virtually non-existent, there's a good chance you're doing the same repetitive job for the rest of your life.

If you don't sweat the small stuff and want to wait 30 years for your pension this is a great place to kill 8 hours a day. If you have any drive to do anything more than the bare minimum, managers will take advantage of you until your burnt out and you'll have nothing to show for it. – less
Good place to work at
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee), calgary ABJuly 6, 2012
Pros: good schedule
Cons: less advancements
CRA is a really good place to work at. I didnt feel alot of opportunities for career advancement.
Part Time Employment
Income Tax/ Excise Tax Auditor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJune 28, 2012
Pros: experience
Cons: no con's
Excellent place to work gave me a lot of experience in the job of my choice.
Summer Student
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 16, 2012
Pros: nice lunch room, great view, beautiful office building, casual friday
Cons: limited internet
I was hired as a summer student after three interviews, and placed at the regional office for Real Property in the Finance and Administration department. I assisted project leaders by completing assignments that were given to me as they needed. I learned a lot about the professional business world and how to communicate professionally. The hardest part – more... of the job was making a cost analysis report. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my own cubicle and comfy chair to work on. – less
Productive and fun to work Data Entry
Electronic Data Capture (EDC) Operator - SP01 (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 10, 2012
- A typical day at work would be doing Data Entry.
- What i learn is how to be efficient and accurate in everything that i have to key.
- Management is good, i like how she comes to us when she needs to let everyone know what the plans are for the next few days or weeks to come.
- My co-workers are great, their very nice and help full when i need something – more... that i don't seem to get right away.
- The hardest part of the job is when were are told that they is not enough work and we have to take vacation, so we sit at home we wait for the phone call to come back to work,and when they do call they say that we need to stay home another week.
- the most enjoyable part of the job is doing what i liked to do most, which would be keying anything that i am giving, and if my keying is higher than it should be i get to extended. – less
It was very nice place to work.Budget cut made me loose my job.
Support Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2012
Pros: office enviroment was good
Cons: management was very poor.
I worked for city of ottawa as coder classifier.I enjoyed working theretill one day they called us in boardroom,and we were given pink slips because of budget cut.We were 6 employees in records office out of six four had to go.It was very bad timing..