Canada Revenue Agency

• Salary/Benefits
Seasonal work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Clearly defined duties.
Help available if needed.
Positive work environment
Biased work environment
Senior Public Affairs Advisor (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: i met some individuals who were professional and had good self estime.
Cons: racial bias and poor management
My managers were a disaster: they played favourites among the staff and prevented me from having adequate contact with clients. In one case they plotted my failure in a specific assignment, but the plot backfired when the client instructed my manager and the one who participated in the plot to modify their work to match the quality of mine.

Although I raised my complaints in writing to management, the latter ignored me utterly; yet when a colleague reported something overheard--admitting that my comment was addressed to no one and that there was no context--management brought me in for questioning regarding a matter I was completely unaware of.

Unable to answer my grievances, the agency's management found a way to "silence" me.

A typical work day: reporting to my boss in the presence of my colleagues that I was available to take on more work and being overtly and embarrassingly ignored in front of my peers. Carrying out make-work projects and even being "assigned" work by a summer student, although I was at the highest administrative level, just below management. I alone in the Agency had to produce a daily report of the tasks I performed....every day!

The racism in CRA management was kept hidden from others but was effective in undermining my career and poisoning my experience in the Public Service.

My most enjoyable experience was serving clients.

I didn't believe the nightmare of bias that was present in Canada's Public Service...until I lived it! I mention all of this only because you asked.
Fun workplace and great team members
Client Services Agent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: great hours and very flexible when asking for holidays.
Cons: stressful at times
Help clients with tax questions and every day I learned something new. Always had fun at work which relieved the stress and team leader was always very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry clients and we still had to be very professional.
Nothing bad to say, great place to work
Student employee (Former Employee), Summerside, PEJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: good hours good money
Cons: sometimes hard to get benefits.
Was a great place to work, Co workers were fine and so was management. Job security for some was lacking but you would be given at least appropriate dates. Sometimes they will keep someone on full time but keep them on contract so they do not have to give benefits.
Working at CRA
INCOME TAX AUDITOR (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and excellent work-life balance
There are no typical days with CRA as your work can be as varied as your clients. While many audits have similar steps, every business is unique and as a result employees must be able to adapt techniques used to review issues with previous taxpayers to the unique circumstances of the current audit.

The in-depth exposure to hundreds of businesses provides an experience-based education second to none. Working closely with business owners during an audit provides many opportunities to learn exactly how business are run. In addition to experience-based learning, the Agency also provides extensive internal training as well as some higher level professional development courses. I would say that my formal education gave me an excellent toolbox to work from but my experiences with CRA are where I truly learned about accounting, auditing, and tax.
Office was in a good location
Auditor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: good health benefits
Cons: advancement was very limited.
Organization is a branch of the Federal Government. Procedures
are not always efficient and effective. Work environment is that of a government office.
Productive and easy going
Child Tax Benefits (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 12, 2014
Fast-paced work environment that requires you to reach daily production goals. Accuracy is key. Laid back atmosphere and casual dress code.
great place to work
Collection Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCDecember 10, 2013
Pros: working independently
Cons: long hours on the phone collecting
Loved working downtown Montreal
Job security
Great co-workers, very friendly and warm
Good for Job Work/Life Balance
Collections Contact&Employer Accounts (Former Employee), Quebec City & Shawinigan-Sud, QCDecember 4, 2013
Pros: job work/life balance, easier access to internal opportunities for contract positions
Cons: limited opportunities for permanent position, foreign diploma not decently recognized, closed minded in some areas
It provides a Job Work/Life Balance environment, but not easy to obtain a permanent position.
Productive and a fun place
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Pros: compressed schedule
A typical day in this organization is all about multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment to manage time and deadlines, managing team referrals, facilitating, coaching and creating month-end metrics. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of meeting dead lines. Management is very supportive and coworkers are great.
Great Place
Error Inspection Control Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2013
Great place to work on a temp basis. Great people work there.
must meet their requirements/accuracy
Information Return Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: some times o/t
Good management, good co-workers,learned lot about the people's tax return.
Fantastic place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 14, 2013
You have many resources to consult when learning new workflows, management is available for any and all concerns, benefits are fantastic! The hardest part of the job is learning to multitask, but once you get the hang of it, you really can go far! I would love any opportunity to work there again!
Interesting place to work
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2013
Answering telephone inquiries of individual taxpayer.
Learned to be extra patient in dealing with senior taxpayer
Call Site
Tax Payer Services Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2013
Stressful environment. Most taxpayers hate paying taxes and thus it is a challenge to make them understand the rules and regulations and the obligation towards the Canadian society.

Co-workers are the excellent as there is a huge culture of team work.
A typical day
Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: meet lots of new people, helping people
Cons: none i can think of
I would meet with people that had made appointments with me and take their information and prepare and file their income tax returns.
Enjoy customer service and preparing tax returns
Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCOctober 30, 2013
Skilled and experienced in preparing wide variety of tax returns.
Challenging Place to work
Trust Accounts Compliance Officer (Payroll) (Current Employee), Ottawa , ONOctober 15, 2013
Overall a great work experience. Management went above & beyond to help with work-life balance & to accommodate due to life circumstances.
Very clicky place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits and room for advancement.
Cons: too much emphasis on inside politics and not enough on tax payer!
People in management do not have integrity. There is also favortism to people that have family working there no matter how bad their work ethics are. Full time staff talk terribly to term employees even though they enforce values and conflict free environment. I used to be proud to be a CRA employee but the more I witnessed how term employees are treated and the unfairness to hard working employees that don;t have family there or are not a teamleaders favourite the more I thought I worked for the devil. I think that people who apply for positions should be screened better as there are people who work at CRA that are dishonest and drug users.
Good Place to Work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee), 360 Main Street Winnipeg MBSeptember 13, 2013
My current position allows for a flexable work schedule that enables for more freedom in my personal life. The salary and benefits are good. Co-workers are good and fun people. The hardest part of the job is that it can get a little mundane. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone out when it wasn't part of the job because it is unexpected and leaves the person with a positive outlook on the organization.