Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A friendly workplace with great work hours
Non-Filer/Non-Registrant Audit Trainee (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2013
Pros: good work hours
Cons: was not a challenging job
The work required ensuring that clients complied with CRA guidelines and filed their taxes.

Needed to review individual and corporate tax returns and ensure they were filed on time or at the least filed. Started a few projects trying to find non-filers in the trucking and self-employment industry.

Co-workers were friendly and willing to show me the – more... ropes.
The hardest part was getting used to the norms and the ERP system in place. – less
Relaxed and Casual work environment
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee), Toronto,ONJune 22, 2013
An excellent place to work with undue pressure.Learned about Canadian Income tax and benefit system,compliance with Privacy Act.Managers are very co-operative and ever willing to help out as also the co-workers.The hardest part of the job is extensive procedures and constant changes to legislation of income tax rules. The most enjoyable aspect is the – more... casual and easy work environment. – less
relaxed yet challenging
Tax Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2013
I received more than adequate on the job training and was prepared for all my duties. Senior staff were helpful and eager to assist me when i was faced with unusual scenarios. Overall a great place to work if you can get in.
This company provided me the basis that I needed to carry myself forward to where I am today. My team and management was awesome and supportive.
Assessment & Benefits Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJune 3, 2013
A typical day at work was data entry, calling clients and collecting information. I was however able to volunteer and take on the Women's Employment Equity leadership role. This added variety to my everyday work. Through this experience I was able to create a happier working environment within CRA. I had approval from the Directors to put together programs/workshops/brown – more... baggers for the employees. I worked on some things with the EAP counsellors and was able to bring in my own materials. I was able to use my intuitive sense to bring a positive mindset (to some) by allowing them to see how honoring your values is important to your happiness (including your happiness in the workplace). I was able to create the job I wanted through volunteering my services. CRA saw the benefit to do.

What did I learn? I learned that CRA was only a stepping stone. There was no place for me to go there. I committed 12 years of my life there and did gained valuable work experience but had a lot of curve balls thrown my way throughout. The work was generic and the same and sitting a computer all day was taking it's toll.

Management - in my team was awesome, understanding and supportive. Management did their best with what they had to work with. I was able to be a brief part of seeing how things funnel down from the Director and VP's.

My co-workers - for the most part were great. Again it is what you make it. There is always gossip and negativity for many things that transpired with the government walls. I think this is what made me step out to do my volunteer program within CRA. The people/coworkers there really needed to hear and see what a positive workplace could look like. I am so glad that I could be apart of that.

The hardest part about my job was the negativity and criticism. Their was bullying and everyone stepping on everyone else to try and get that next position posting. Then their were the others who just accepted that this is their life and settled for mediocrity. I think it saddened me and it was difficult for me to be around.

Bringing positivity and a smile to any situation. I am so thankful and grateful for having the many experiences that CRA gave me. To this day, they invite me back yearly to give presentations/workshops to all of their employees throughout the mainland. This is a great testimonial for the work I now do to help others. – less
Call centre helpdesk agent
E-Services Helpdesk Agent (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 30, 2013
I worked as a call center agent and assisted taxpayers with the electronic services the CRA provides. I have worked there for three tax seasons, now. I interacted with my co-workers through our team meetings. The hardest part of the job is dealing with taxpayers who are not particularly happy when they call in.
Repetitive but high paid job
E-Services Helpdesk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 30, 2013
Pros: high salary
Cons: limited work space
After few interviews with CRA, there are at least two weeks of paid training. The training includes how to handle different types of customers plus the usage of CRA program. After that, individual work starts and each shift is limited at a designated work space with a computer and a telephone. I log in on the telephone approximately five minutes before – more... my shift starts and open all the applications and programs on the computer. Phone calls come in and I am responsible for answering the calls within two minutes and effectively help out clients with their issues. There are supervisors available if agents need help while answering the calls. The hardest part of the job is the need for patience. Some calls require step by step procedures to lead the clients to their solutions. The longest call I've had took almost two hours. It's quite rewarding when the callers thank you with their most pleasant voices. Lastly, the training gets paid, certain times of the shift pay more than regular hourly wages and the job has holiday pays as well. – less
Strict, regulated, official office setting
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2013
Pros: the salary
Cons: lack of culture among colleagues
I worked at a cubical. I clocked in and clocked out at the designated times (down to the second) to take telephone calls from clients and breaks. I learned the negative effects of office politics and how to avoid them. Management was very helpful in teaching me the importance of proper documentation! The hardest part of my job was coping with a poison – more... atmosphere. – less
Great co-workers and management. Flexible schedule with great work life balance.
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2013
Pros: schedule, hours, co-workers
Cons: lots of conflict with clients, repetitive
I enjoyed working at CRA. You can set your own hours within reason and the people and management was great. Due to the federal budget cuts, advancement and security is not what it used to be. Job can be quite repetitive and have lots of conflict.
Auditor and Examiner of GST/HST Prepayment
Auditor/Examiner (Former Employee), St. Catharines OntarioMay 3, 2013
Pros: autonomy
Cons: limited interaction
The CRA was great experience, I had the opportunity to work with experts in tax and improve my knowledge of the Excise Tax Act. This job was fundamental in improving my written and verbal communication skills, through dealing with relentless tax payers over the phone and finalizing audits through the computer and proprietary software's. In addition, – more... my time management skills were enhanced, while at the I handled multiple cases at once meeting a budgeted time for each. – less
I enjoyed working with the Gov't & staff
Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2013
Pros: good hours & understanding management
I assessed bankruptcy returns & was in contact with Trustees in Bankruptcy all across Canada.
I could pick my hours of woek as long as I completed 37.50 hours per week.
You got as much out of your job as you put in. I took advantage of all courses and training and applied it.
Administration and Field Officer (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 9, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: no parking spaces on duckwork st, \nl
Each day I worked 7.5 hours or longer if I was in travel status. I am a conscientious worker and an independent worker who needs little supervision. I worked various jobs with CRA. The most enjoyable part was the contact with clients and helping them solve their problems, I really enjoyed my co-workers and still keeps in contact. There really was no – more... hard part of the job. I had no problem with management and my experience was always welcomed and used by them, Education was always enforced and because of the nature of the job took the accounting from MUN. – less
Great work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2013
-Answering phone calls in regards to income tax enquiries
-Learned the basics of filling out a tax return
-Fun work environment, great people
-Management and leaders are excellent coaches and role models
-Co-workers are very friendly and helpful at all times
-The hardest part of the job is being unsure of an answer you get asked, you always want to – more... be 100% accurate.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is being around good people and a friendly working environment. – less
Good work experience
Tax Auditor (Full-time) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2013
I enjoy working for Canada Revenue Agency. It is a challenging environment and requires you to use analytical skills. We enjoy a good work life balance.
Stressfull work environment
T1 Reassessment Clerk (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 4, 2013
The work and co-workers are great.
Cannot provide details.
Stressfull work environment
T1 Reassessment Clerk (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 4, 2013
Cannot provide details.
The work and co-workers are great.
As a casual employee work terms are becoming shorter due to budget cuts.
On the Job training was excellent
collections officer (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: good training
Cons: turn over of mangement
Learned research tools to collect accounts. Learned latest computer skills. Dealt with clients in good and bad situations.
a seasonal volunteer position
VOLUNTEER SERVICES (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: can meet a variety of people
It is a really good place to work at

a volunteer position

can get current information on tax
Challenging to work for the federal government
Collections Agent (Former Employee), Penticton, British ColumbiaFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: stressful
On the phone all day taking calls from tax payers who received collection letters or requirements to pay seizing bank accounts. Very stressful but the best part is getting someone out of collections by with a payment plan that may take up to two years awesome feeling. Helping people; problem solving are my best skills.

Co-workers very supportive and – more... team players.

the hardest part is when people are in due to financial circumstances beyond their control and having no way to pay. We could not help then in our department. – less
High learning curve, but willing to teach you
Auditor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: monday - friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Cons: repetitive task
I reviewed taxpayer's financial documents for pre-assessment returns. The management style was excellent, no micromanaging. My co-workers were friendly and supportive. I enjoyed this position a lot.
great job and great pay
Data Entry Operator (SEASONAL) (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJanuary 24, 2013
I have been working at CRA for 6 years now. I really like the job. I enter all the information on T4's, T5's, T3's forms. We need to have the speed and accuracy which I qualify for every year for my return at CRA.
It is a routine type of day and sometimes helping others with workload. They are very nice to work with and communicate with.
The hardes – more... part of the job would be not having enough work to continue our contract. Other than that it is great.
I would like to work full time with them but it is very hard. – less