Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Very friendly atmosphere in the office.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
- People working here are friendly and cooperative.
- It is a union environment, however management and union work very well together.
- Red tape reduction committees are working hard to reduce the overall ed tape.
- Our focus is on customer service
- Our organization has become one of the best to work with in Canada and worldwide.
Excellent Example of Work Life Balance in a Stressful Environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2014
Excellent example of an employer dealing with work life balance. A call centre is a very stressful environment and the CRA provides all kinds of activities to break up the monotony and stresses of the job: some are off-the-wall but fun. There is also 24-hour access to all kinds of professional advice.The diversity in the workplace makes for an interesting and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
on the job activities during work hours are excellent; 24-hour access to professional services.
Cons
no job security: employment contract-based.
Nothing bad to say, great place to work
Student employee (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PEJanuary 31, 2014
Was a great place to work, Co workers were fine and so was management. Job security for some was lacking but you would be given at least appropriate dates. Sometimes they will keep someone on full time but keep them on contract so they do not have to give benefits.
Pros
good hours good money
Cons
sometimes hard to get benefits.
Pleasant co-workers and working conditions . Room for advancement. Good remuneration and benifits.
Receptionist/ Law Library Assistant SP3 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2012
On a typical day, my duties are reception duties as well as updating
law library binders. I have various tasks to assist lawyers and their assistants
I have has the opportunity to enhance my computer and database skills.
I find management to be pleasant, encouraging and helpful.
My co-workers are very pleasant and we interact very well.
The most pleasant part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and visitors.
Pros
good salary. monday to friday hours.
Cons
my position is not yet indeterminate.
Typical day
Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (Current Employee) –  Cambridge/KitchenerOctober 15, 2015
I would be assigned a time for instance 8:00am-4:00pm and I would usually get out depending on the number of seniors filing returns. Some days I would get out at around 1:00pm some days 5:00pm
Confidential and Peaceful workplace
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2015
Responsible for a wide range of administrative support functions such as verifying, and processing tax documents accurately and in a timely manner. Provided extensive customer care when dealing with tax payer conflicts. Excellent co-workers and loved my time with CRA.
Overall goood experience
Data Base Administrator (Current Employee) –  ottawa, canadaJuly 30, 2015
Ok work place.
Fellow employees were helpful.
Doing request on a day to day basis for clients.
Work was pleasant.
Management was ok.
Best
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2015
Absolutely loved working here. Management team was great, all employees in department were friendly and helpful, money was great and many advancement possibilities
Excellent pay
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 13, 2015
It was a fast paced environment and reaching stats was the hardest part. I completed the program with 60 returns per hour. Management and co-workers were excellent with training and assisting when we had difficulty. I liked working independently. We had the option to do competencies for further work if jobs became available.
Pros
Great pay and a feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Short term contract
Excellent work/life balance
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  HamiltonOctober 17, 2015
- provide learning and development opportunities
- has great support systems for new hires
- co-workers are helpful and co-operative
- work environment is friendly
Good opportunity
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCNovember 1, 2015
The CRA tax clinic was a great learning opportunity. In fact, I was able to do tax returns for seniors and students on modest incomes.
Good place to gain experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 18, 2013
CRA has excellent pay, and a variety of departments in which you can work. Management and supervisors are very encouraging of employees to better themselves, and there are a lot of employee resources available. Job security is not very good, as it is on a tax season basis. In certain departments there is an emphasis on your statistical requirements and that can be somewhat stressful if you are unable to keep up with those requirements.
Top tier employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2012
Strong management and leadership give clear corporate direction. Employees are well supported and although union exists for additional support of employee, this is hardly necessary as every effort is made to overcome concerns before they get unruly.
Training and career opportunities abound.
Strong emphasis on team collaboration, professionalism, integrity and respectfulness.
Pros
superior and highly professional work environment
Great Work Life Balance
Excise Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 26, 2014
Working for a government organization you have great work life balance and amazing benefits but a lot of bureaucracy is involved in the work done here
Very enjoyable place to work
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2015
Great co workers and supervisors. On-going learning and courses were offered. Typical hours of work are 8-4 except during tax season.
Great co-workers and management. Flexible schedule with great work life balance.
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2013
I enjoyed working at CRA. You can set your own hours within reason and the people and management was great. Due to the federal budget cuts, advancement and security is not what it used to be. Job can be quite repetitive and have lots of conflict.
Pros
schedule, hours, co-workers
Cons
lots of conflict with clients, repetitive
Great workplace with great Team.
Junior Program Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 2, 2014
It was great to work there from May 2010 up until December 2013. I had the opportunity to learn a lot, specially about audit files, the way they are selected, the reason why they audit, the tools used to do quality audits, and much more.

I also liked it there, because as a team we would spend time at lunch for example to eat together, or sometimes during a 15 mins break time we would talk, joke and then head back to work. This helped develop great relationships and also helped with the working environment. Management was nice overall.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Having to perform some of the day to day Administrative tasks.
Fast paced with strong Teamwork attitude
Document Examiner / Processor and Claims Assessor (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PEFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day at work began with requesting work claims to review. I would spend the morning navigating complex computer programs to ascertain if the clients met requirements to be eligible for GST Rebates. Later morning and afternoons i would make phone calls and request additional information from clients to meet approval standards. I would then review all information and either approve or disallow a GST Rebate. The information needed to be file both electronically and in paper filling, My co-workers and management were both very encouraging and easily shared information so we could succeed as a department. The hardest part of the job was explaining to a client why they did not qualify for a GST Rebate. Government guidelines or very strict and when someone has been eligible in previous years but doesn't qualify in the current year the client can become very frustrated. The best part of the job was helping people complete their claims so they do qualify.
Pros
courses available to taken to advance within the company
Cons
contracts start out at 3 months and then extended in the last week.
Great work/life balance, but not a stimulating/challenging job
Excise Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto AreaSeptember 4, 2014
Pros - great work life balance; good benefits and flex work arrangements

Cons - difficult to advance, top heavy, lots of government red tape, work is not challenging enough

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location