Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Very enjoyable place to work
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2015
Great co workers and supervisors. On-going learning and courses were offered. Typical hours of work are 8-4 except during tax season.
Excellent pay
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 13, 2015
It was a fast paced environment and reaching stats was the hardest part. I completed the program with 60 returns per hour. Management and co-workers were excellent with training and assisting when we had difficulty. I liked working independently. We had the option to do competencies for further work if jobs became available.
Pros
Great pay and a feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Short term contract
Totally Incompetent
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 3, 2015
I reported a case to the investigation department in 2006 and still nothing is done. I provided court documents, banking records and sworn testimony to prove the case so I really feel this government service should be privatized. This government department is nothing but a joke and to think my tax dollars are paying there wages.
Pros
do nothing all day
Cons
not enough vacation days so I have to show up to get paid
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and VancouverMarch 25, 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
Productive and Fun work place.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
This is a great place to start your career. The management helps you achieve your goals. Decent amount of hours during non tax season.
NA
RESOURCE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  TORONTO, ONSeptember 1, 2015
It is a good position. Working there is pleasant. Everyone is very nice. There are always many changes happening and it is an environment where high adaptability is necessary.
Rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ONApril 22, 2015
A great way to provide an important service to the community. Great training and helpful management team.

Tax preparation software is top-notch and easy to use and troubleshoot.

An awesome experience that I will resume once College is completed.
Pros
Needed service to the community
Cons
Friendly and amazing workplace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
In the volunteer work, I prepare the tax return for clients and explain the applicable tax implication on their cases to the clients. During the work, I learn how to communicate with customers and how to negociate the problems occured with my supervisor.
Pros
povide me tax filing experiences.
Cons
unregular shift.
Great workplace with great Team.
Junior Program Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 2, 2014
It was great to work there from May 2010 up until December 2013. I had the opportunity to learn a lot, specially about audit files, the way they are selected, the reason why they audit, the tools used to do quality audits, and much more.

I also liked it there, because as a team we would spend time at lunch for example to eat together, or sometimes during a 15 mins break time we would talk, joke and then head back to work. This helped develop great relationships and also helped with the working environment. Management was nice overall.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Having to perform some of the day to day Administrative tasks.
Productive and Exciting Place to Work and Succeed
Taxpayer Services Agent (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Working for CRA as a intern really helped me develop a more solid understanding of the tax and benefits system that is administered by the CRA federally. I learned more than I ever could about the tax system and co-workers were also very helpful and supportive of all the challenges that were faced during the tax season.
Good chance for advancement
SP-04 - Testing Analyst in ATD (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 28, 2014
Writing test cases that were required to test the programs used by clients to file income taxes etc. for stability, functionality, etc.
Learned how to write test cases and how to test them as well as learning how to use the programs.
Management--okay
Co-workers=Great
Hardest part of job was taking exams frequently, stressful.
I enjoyed all the people I worked with and enjoyed the compressed hours.
Pros
was able to work compressed hours.
Cons
long drive
Productive company with the chances maximum career growth.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2014
Prepared simple to complex tax returns for Canadian cities.
Reconciled statements against records and resolved any discrepancies with clients.
Reviewed financial records, statements and documents to determine schedules that were needed to prepare tax returns.
Provided tax clients with sufficient information and advice to get the most from their returns.
Great once you get a non-contract position
Collections Contact Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 9, 2014
I thoroughly enjoy the supportive management and focus on health and well-being. They strive to make sure you are looked after mentally and physically.

My one complaint is job security. Being hired on a contract basis makes me feel less secure despite having a specific job set.

The hardest part of being a collections officer is summoning the fortitude to force your help upon people who really don't want it.

The most enjoyable part is that you work with people who can understand your struggle and will support you.
Pros
health and dental benefits, flexible work arrangements, high degree of independence
Cons
the union and the government have not come to a formal agreement on pay in the last two years.
Tax Payer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2014
On a day to day basis I answered phone calls regarding personal income tax. I have dealt with so many different individuals and so many different situations.
Very fasr paced working environment and quality is very important. They give you all the tools that are required to do the job effectively and efficeintly, all you need to do is the research as every call you take is different.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
some calls can be very difficult
Overall goood experience
Data Base Administrator (Current Employee) –  ottawa, canadaJuly 30, 2015
Ok work place.
Fellow employees were helpful.
Doing request on a day to day basis for clients.
Work was pleasant.
Management was ok.
Great people and organized workplace
Student Appeals Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2015
I loved working with the people in the organization. My team leader was very supportive and helpful. I've learned a lot from this experience with tax appeals and also from my co-workers. I would recommend anyone applying for this job that is interested in working in an accounting/finance industry.
Order of attachments processor
seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 27, 2014
Successfully attained high security clearance and passed entrance requirements

worked for them for three seasons

performed assignments as allocated

A good organization to work for - ongoing job evaluations and feedback, training online for advancement
Pros
an excellent organization for career training and evaluation
Cons
season was too short and full-time is hard to attain
Interesting work but management and team work almost inexistant.
Relief Request Screener (Former Employee) –  Surrey Tax Centre, Surrey BCJuly 7, 2014
Extremely difficult to get information necessary to do my work.
Information asked to different co-workers was different, or incomplete.
When asked the same question twice to the same person, got two different answers.
Most of the information is not written anywhere, and yet whan I asked for it I was tols: "You're supposed to know it"... or "You will have to learn it the same way I did, bit by bit".
Pros
good salary.
Cons
team leader has her favorite team member. information not available most of the time.
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Working in the tax department
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2014
Learning how to navigate the website to find information and which departments to transfer the customer to in order to get them up to date and accurate information. Tracking all calls for call drivers information. I found this job both challenging and informative.
Pros
confidence and experience in asking questions to be able to give the customer what they need.
Cons
was on a contractual basis and not alot of opportunity for permanency

4.2