Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Great people and support
Minor Balance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC14 October 2015
I advised tax clientele on their overdue tax accounts
Management was supportive and positive
The hardest part of my job was garnishing someone's wages
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to set up a payment schedule with a client and they came through and got their tax account paid off
Pros
Learning and development
Cons
short term contract
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 September 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
Stressful thankless job
Complex Assessment Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2015
Management only cases about quantity of work done not the quality of the work. Management plays favourites, letting some employees abuse their breaks while castrating others for being 5 minutes late coming back from break. Management will only support and develop the employees who share their same views.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Bad management
Please see the accompanying resume.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 December 2015
Dynamic, yet highly structured workplace. Due to a number of confidentiality matters, it is best to discuss my work at the CRA in private.
Pros
Respected for my work and ability and willingness to assist others.
Cons
It's the Federal Government.
Team-work
IT Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 January 2016
CRA is an amazing place to work in terms of team working. The teamwork environment that I have seen it unbelievable. From Management to co-workers they help you as you need.
Pros
Kudos
Cons
no cash bonus
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario7 October 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
p
Returns Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2016
The CRA is a great and reliable company to work for. Great management and communication. Everyone should work for the CRA.
Confidential and Peaceful workplace
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2015
Responsible for a wide range of administrative support functions such as verifying, and processing tax documents accurately and in a timely manner. Provided extensive customer care when dealing with tax payer conflicts. Excellent co-workers and loved my time with CRA.
Lots to learn every day
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 December 2015
The job salary and benefits were great. There was constant change and that kept my on my feet.I really enjoyed learning new things everyday.There was however no job security.
Pros
Compressed Schedule
Cons
No job security
Contract work - T3 Assessor, General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2015
Plenty of work to do and it was interesting dealing with returns from
across Canada. The management were good to work with and they
had scheduled performance interviews which allowed one to offer
suggestions for improvement and or where one could voice a complaint. The job was rated on performance levels and that made the task challenging but also stimulating.
Pros
accumulated sick days
Cons
mostly contract work
technical advisor collections officer
Collections Contact Officer - Technical Advisor- (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE19 November 2015
Not many opportunities for getting permanent jobs variety of positions and contracts or terms always coming up, depends on what Ottawa approves for such projects etc.
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2015
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Pros
friendly employees, salary
Cons
term positions
I had a great time working at CRA with some really exceptional co workers.I learned a great deal from taking courses offered by CRA and from working
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2015
A typical day would be working and conducting audits at the taxpayer's place of business. My work also consisted of spending time in the office in order to plan and prepare for future audits.
Pros
Working at your own pace
Cons
Traveloing distance to get to taxpayers
Excellent pay
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 May 2015
It was a fast paced environment and reaching stats was the hardest part. I completed the program with 60 returns per hour. Management and co-workers were excellent with training and assisting when we had difficulty. I liked working independently. We had the option to do competencies for further work if jobs became available.
Pros
Great pay and a feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Short term contract
Very friendly atmosphere in the office.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2015
- People working here are friendly and cooperative.
- It is a union environment, however management and union work very well together.
- Red tape reduction committees are working hard to reduce the overall ed tape.
- Our focus is on customer service
- Our organization has become one of the best to work with in Canada and worldwide.
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2015
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Pros
Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and Vancouver25 March 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
Totally Incompetent
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario3 April 2015
I reported a case to the investigation department in 2006 and still nothing is done. I provided court documents, banking records and sworn testimony to prove the case so I really feel this government service should be privatized. This government department is nothing but a joke and to think my tax dollars are paying there wages.
Pros
do nothing all day
Cons
not enough vacation days so I have to show up to get paid
Decent place to work in. Production based environment
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee) –  ottawa, ontario8 October 2015
The management is good at CRA.
the job of electronic data operations is a bit dull.
overall easygoing but quiet work environment
Pros
quiet environment
Cons
Very strict time alocation

4.2