Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
A Hellish nightmare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Average demographic is middle-aged and caucasian. Most "lifer" workers are miserable, behave in a privileged manner, and are amazingly lazy. Management goes on 2-3 hour lunch breaks and some males will sexually harass female employees- nothing will be done about it, other than their eventual transfer to another office. The union is useless and you cannot opt out of paying union dues- they come off your paycheque automatically.
I was told by management that the reason for the high pay rate is to "keep your mouth shut about what goes on around here", i.e. poorly managed/stored classified taxpayer information, huge backlog of work (more than 4 months backdated), among other issues. No proper services for ESL/French-speaking taxpayers unless you reside in Quebec.
You are required to do constant "competency" testing, which is done fortunately for you during work hours (unfortunately for the taxpayers). These are mandatory psychological tests issued to employees to basically ensure that the people they promote are of the same hegemonic mindset that has always existed there.
They say that overtime is voluntary, but if you don't sign up for it you will be shunned and mistreated by management.
Everyone is sleeping with everyone and many employees also show up smelling of liquor. It's really unsettling. There are also never any vegan/vegetarian options at the mandatory staff BBQ's, which alienates some staff members into not participating, for which they are reprimanded.
Employees are also not allowed to pursue any type of social justice activities outside of work. You will be reprimanded
  more... if you are caught participating in activities such as human rights marches or protests, regardless of their message/purpose. You are not allowed to talk to the press for any reason, ever.
Employees who are non-white immigrants, or who possess tattoos and piercings, are not outwardly shunned, but are ridiculed and harassed by other staff members with no repercussion.
If you are hired as a permanent employee automatically, you will have your job for life and can do whatever you want. If you are unfortunate enough to be hired as a contract employee or temp, God help you. They will wait until your permanency status comes up and they will lay you off. If you are hired again, your previous years worked will not be counted toward your permanent status. They have kept term employees on in this manner for literally YEARS with no hope of them ever becoming permanent employees (this is somehow legal). However, you cannot argue with the pay rate or benefits package. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Canada's economy is garbage. What is a little white girl to do?
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Harassment from management, lazy coworkers, gossip, public drunkenness
Productive and Fun work place.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
This is a great place to start your career. The management helps you achieve your goals. Decent amount of hours during non tax season.
NA
RESOURCE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  TORONTO, ONSeptember 1, 2015
It is a good position. Working there is pleasant. Everyone is very nice. There are always many changes happening and it is an environment where high adaptability is necessary.
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2015
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Already mentioned
Cons
Contract was not renewed
Overall goood experience
Data Base Administrator (Current Employee) –  ottawa, canadaJuly 30, 2015
Ok work place.
Fellow employees were helpful.
Doing request on a day to day basis for clients.
Work was pleasant.
Management was ok.
Face paced and enjoyable workplace
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 24, 2015
Fast paced work environment.
Learned about T1 General Tax Return forms for individuals
Teams led my strong team leaders.
Extremely friendly and diverse employees.
Most enjoyable part of the job is always adapting to new tax payers.
Pros
Overtime hours and premiums
CRA provides a great service to the Canadian taxpayer
Income Tax/Excise Tax Auditor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2015
The employees at the Canada Revenue Agency do a great job for the taxpayers of Canada. There job can be stressful dealing when dealing with the public. They are just like you and I and deserve to be dealt with on a professional and business manner.
Very friendly atmosphere in the office.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
- People working here are friendly and cooperative.
- It is a union environment, however management and union work very well together.
- Red tape reduction committees are working hard to reduce the overall ed tape.
- Our focus is on customer service
- Our organization has become one of the best to work with in Canada and worldwide.
Contract work - T3 Assessor, General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2015
Plenty of work to do and it was interesting dealing with returns from
across Canada. The management were good to work with and they
had scheduled performance interviews which allowed one to offer
suggestions for improvement and or where one could voice a complaint. The job was rated on performance levels and that made the task challenging but also stimulating.
Pros
accumulated sick days
Cons
mostly contract work
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Pros
friendly employees, salary
Cons
term positions
Take Pride in my work
Testing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
I always come to work with a positive attitude and ready to take on my work load. We work and always make the best out of day. I love to help my co-workers whenever they need me.
I had a great time working at CRA with some really exceptional co workers.I learned a great deal from taking courses offered by CRA and from working
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 25, 2015
A typical day would be working and conducting audits at the taxpayer's place of business. My work also consisted of spending time in the office in order to plan and prepare for future audits.
Pros
Working at your own pace
Cons
Traveloing distance to get to taxpayers
Excellent pay
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 13, 2015
It was a fast paced environment and reaching stats was the hardest part. I completed the program with 60 returns per hour. Management and co-workers were excellent with training and assisting when we had difficulty. I liked working independently. We had the option to do competencies for further work if jobs became available.
Pros
Great pay and a feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Short term contract
Amazing learning team trains the staff well
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2015
I enjoyed having all the support needed to answer all the necessary questions to do the job well. The employees are treated with respect. The team environment is friendly and supportive.
Totally Incompetent
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 3, 2015
I reported a case to the investigation department in 2006 and still nothing is done. I provided court documents, banking records and sworn testimony to prove the case so I really feel this government service should be privatized. This government department is nothing but a joke and to think my tax dollars are paying there wages.
Pros
do nothing all day
Cons
not enough vacation days so I have to show up to get paid
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and VancouverMarch 25, 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
Friendly and amazing workplace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
In the volunteer work, I prepare the tax return for clients and explain the applicable tax implication on their cases to the clients. During the work, I learn how to communicate with customers and how to negociate the problems occured with my supervisor.
Pros
povide me tax filing experiences.
Cons
unregular shift.
Best
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2015
Absolutely loved working here. Management team was great, all employees in department were friendly and helpful, money was great and many advancement possibilities
Co-op position
Clerical Staff (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2015
I only worked at the Canada Revenue Agency temporally but I learned a lot about organization and time management. My co-workers were helpful and understanding.