Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Production, Production, Production
Estate Assessor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: job experience
Cons: only contract work
A day at work, started at 7:30am and ended at 3:30pm. I would start off by checking emails and voice message. Then I would assess the returns that have been assigned to me.
Many opportunities
Collections Officer (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONAugust 29, 2013
many opportunities to learn different positions. proper equipment and resources to do your job
Productive day providing assitance to co-workers and entering information into the system.
Taxpayer Service Agent/Coach (Former Employee), Surrey, B.CAugust 28, 2013
Pros: opportunity to help others
Cons: lack of growth in the organization
My typical day at work is to assist others at all times by answering questions, guiding them through the manual, ensure they understand the process and procedures in order to process the tax returns. I have learned to train co-workers on various software and system in order to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is time management where I – more... must ensure that I assist others as well as achieve my target of the day. I enjoy helping others, coaching and mentoring employees. – less
Fun place
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2013
Pros: co-workers, pay
Cons: not challenging
I had a customer service position, but despite the work which was boring at times and mindless. The people working there are amazing.
All positions are Term and Management is terrible.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2013
Management treats you like you should be grateful to have a job by constantly giving you contract extension on the last day of your contract. They always defend by saying they never know their operating budget. This is just a lie there is not one business government or private sector that could operate in such a manner. When you tell them you need to – more... arrange for childcare or other life events, they tell you that you have to tell them that day if you accept a contract or not. It's just ridiculous, they expect a lot of loyalty and drop of the hat from you but give nothing in return. – less
not a fun place to work anymore
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee), VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: stress level too high
Retired sometime ago. Do not miss the place. Used to be a fun place to work... NOT ANYMORE. People are retiring at an increasing rate. wages are ok. Pension is ok but I still question Ottawa stealing the millions of dollars from our pension plan...
Very challenging work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCAugust 11, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: n/a
- Very challenging work environment
- Redundant work
- Policy
Thank you for calling individual enquiries.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2013
Pros: good work location, good pay, good benefits
Cons: low job secuirty, stressful environment, toxic managers
The co-workers are pleasant, team leaders tend to behave like bullies, and management doesn't give care what you like. The culture is very cliquey. Some employees can't do anything right, some can do no wrong. Typically the more people in your circle you have working there, the more you can get away with.

The pay is respectable, and benefits (once – more... you've been there a number of months) are respectable. Hours tend to fluctuate from full time to part time (I had my days vary from 5 days a week down to 3 days a week). Emails are sent out, for employees to apply for additional hours, but are not a guarantee.

Job security is virtually non-existent, with employees contracts being renewed on an ongoing basis. Your contract renewal if you are out of favour, will be dangled over your head. This can be very stressful.

Training is decent, but I found myself in hot water for doing exactly what my training instructors told me to do. The standards seem to be anything but standard. Again, this is all depending on if you are "in" or "out" seems to make a big difference.

You pay for your own parking at the Calgary International Airport location it's $40.00/month for the "green" lot which is a pretty hefty walk if you follow the route your're SUPPOSED TO (not jay walking across airport trail) or if there is construction preventing you from jay walking across airport trail. Parking closer will cost you $120.00/month. Noteworthy here is that your employee i.d. will land you 10% off at the airport vendors, by the way.

Your day will start with clocking in and end with clocking out via your telephone. Every time you clock in and out (breaks, washrooms, etc.) is meticulously detailed and will be reviewed with you by team leaders who spend a good deal of their time chatting with other team leaders or their team members that are in their favour. I've seen team leaders have chat sessions of 30 minutes or longer, while you are constantly answering telephone calls from tax payers.

Your performance will be measured by listening sessions, of which there are two kinds. One involves a coworker listening on another headset, making notes of how you answer enquiries. Another involves a team leader listening without a headset, taking notes as you handle calls. The former is for quality measuring and the latter is for coaching, but both will directly impact your job security. These can be stressful. Often listeners are conditioned to find at least one fault with every call. If fall out of favour, you'll find yourself in an endless cycle of listening sessions, with increasing faults found in your.

Advancement means answering a wider variety of calls, and is handed out based on who is in and who is out. I've seen good agents get passed over for advancement, while incompetent ones are constantly given training and off phone activities.

The environment is fast paced and high conflict, I have been called every name in the book, it's not for thin skin. The pay is up and down, and the job security adds to the stress. Your union is good, but identify too closely with them, and you might find your team leader taking it as an insult to their authority. – less
A friendly workplace with great work hours
Non-Filer/Non-Registrant Audit Trainee (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2013
Pros: good work hours
Cons: was not a challenging job
The work required ensuring that clients complied with CRA guidelines and filed their taxes.

Needed to review individual and corporate tax returns and ensure they were filed on time or at the least filed. Started a few projects trying to find non-filers in the trucking and self-employment industry.

Co-workers were friendly and willing to show me the – more... ropes.
The hardest part was getting used to the norms and the ERP system in place. – less
Relaxed and Casual work environment
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee), Toronto,ONJune 22, 2013
An excellent place to work with undue pressure.Learned about Canadian Income tax and benefit system,compliance with Privacy Act.Managers are very co-operative and ever willing to help out as also the co-workers.The hardest part of the job is extensive procedures and constant changes to legislation of income tax rules. The most enjoyable aspect is the – more... casual and easy work environment. – less
relaxed yet challenging
Tax Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2013
I received more than adequate on the job training and was prepared for all my duties. Senior staff were helpful and eager to assist me when i was faced with unusual scenarios. Overall a great place to work if you can get in.
This company provided me the basis that I needed to carry myself forward to where I am today. My team and management was awesome and supportive.
Assessment & Benefits Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJune 3, 2013
A typical day at work was data entry, calling clients and collecting information. I was however able to volunteer and take on the Women's Employment Equity leadership role. This added variety to my everyday work. Through this experience I was able to create a happier working environment within CRA. I had approval from the Directors to put together programs/workshops/brown – more... baggers for the employees. I worked on some things with the EAP counsellors and was able to bring in my own materials. I was able to use my intuitive sense to bring a positive mindset (to some) by allowing them to see how honoring your values is important to your happiness (including your happiness in the workplace). I was able to create the job I wanted through volunteering my services. CRA saw the benefit to do.

What did I learn? I learned that CRA was only a stepping stone. There was no place for me to go there. I committed 12 years of my life there and did gained valuable work experience but had a lot of curve balls thrown my way throughout. The work was generic and the same and sitting a computer all day was taking it's toll.

Management - in my team was awesome, understanding and supportive. Management did their best with what they had to work with. I was able to be a brief part of seeing how things funnel down from the Director and VP's.

My co-workers - for the most part were great. Again it is what you make it. There is always gossip and negativity for many things that transpired with the government walls. I think this is what made me step out to do my volunteer program within CRA. The people/coworkers there really needed to hear and see what a positive workplace could look like. I am so glad that I could be apart of that.

The hardest part about my job was the negativity and criticism. Their was bullying and everyone stepping on everyone else to try and get that next position posting. Then their were the others who just accepted that this is their life and settled for mediocrity. I think it saddened me and it was difficult for me to be around.

Bringing positivity and a smile to any situation. I am so thankful and grateful for having the many experiences that CRA gave me. To this day, they invite me back yearly to give presentations/workshops to all of their employees throughout the mainland. This is a great testimonial for the work I now do to help others. – less
Call centre helpdesk agent
E-Services Helpdesk Agent (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 30, 2013
I worked as a call center agent and assisted taxpayers with the electronic services the CRA provides. I have worked there for three tax seasons, now. I interacted with my co-workers through our team meetings. The hardest part of the job is dealing with taxpayers who are not particularly happy when they call in.
Repetitive but high paid job
E-Services Helpdesk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 30, 2013
Pros: high salary
Cons: limited work space
After few interviews with CRA, there are at least two weeks of paid training. The training includes how to handle different types of customers plus the usage of CRA program. After that, individual work starts and each shift is limited at a designated work space with a computer and a telephone. I log in on the telephone approximately five minutes before – more... my shift starts and open all the applications and programs on the computer. Phone calls come in and I am responsible for answering the calls within two minutes and effectively help out clients with their issues. There are supervisors available if agents need help while answering the calls. The hardest part of the job is the need for patience. Some calls require step by step procedures to lead the clients to their solutions. The longest call I've had took almost two hours. It's quite rewarding when the callers thank you with their most pleasant voices. Lastly, the training gets paid, certain times of the shift pay more than regular hourly wages and the job has holiday pays as well. – less
Strict, regulated, official office setting
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2013
Pros: the salary
Cons: lack of culture among colleagues
I worked at a cubical. I clocked in and clocked out at the designated times (down to the second) to take telephone calls from clients and breaks. I learned the negative effects of office politics and how to avoid them. Management was very helpful in teaching me the importance of proper documentation! The hardest part of my job was coping with a poison – more... atmosphere. – less
Great co-workers and management. Flexible schedule with great work life balance.
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2013
Pros: schedule, hours, co-workers
Cons: lots of conflict with clients, repetitive
I enjoyed working at CRA. You can set your own hours within reason and the people and management was great. Due to the federal budget cuts, advancement and security is not what it used to be. Job can be quite repetitive and have lots of conflict.
Auditor and Examiner of GST/HST Prepayment
Auditor/Examiner (Former Employee), St. Catharines OntarioMay 3, 2013
Pros: autonomy
Cons: limited interaction
The CRA was great experience, I had the opportunity to work with experts in tax and improve my knowledge of the Excise Tax Act. This job was fundamental in improving my written and verbal communication skills, through dealing with relentless tax payers over the phone and finalizing audits through the computer and proprietary software's. In addition, – more... my time management skills were enhanced, while at the I handled multiple cases at once meeting a budgeted time for each. – less
I enjoyed working with the Gov't & staff
Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2013
Pros: good hours & understanding management
I assessed bankruptcy returns & was in contact with Trustees in Bankruptcy all across Canada.
I could pick my hours of woek as long as I completed 37.50 hours per week.
You got as much out of your job as you put in. I took advantage of all courses and training and applied it.
Administration and Field Officer (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 9, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: no parking spaces on duckwork st, \nl
Each day I worked 7.5 hours or longer if I was in travel status. I am a conscientious worker and an independent worker who needs little supervision. I worked various jobs with CRA. The most enjoyable part was the contact with clients and helping them solve their problems, I really enjoyed my co-workers and still keeps in contact. There really was no – more... hard part of the job. I had no problem with management and my experience was always welcomed and used by them, Education was always enforced and because of the nature of the job took the accounting from MUN. – less
Great work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2013
-Answering phone calls in regards to income tax enquiries
-Learned the basics of filling out a tax return
-Fun work environment, great people
-Management and leaders are excellent coaches and role models
-Co-workers are very friendly and helpful at all times
-The hardest part of the job is being unsure of an answer you get asked, you always want to – more... be 100% accurate.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is being around good people and a friendly working environment. – less