Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

was an exciting experience
Community volunteer income tax program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, canada22 November 2015
a typical day at work was quite busy because of different clients trying to file their taxes. i learned how to file tax and use the software which was an amazing experience for me because its outside my area of study. the management and co-workers helped create a positive environment due to their commitment to team work. the hardest part sometimes was the software because it was complex and enjoyable part is basically the new work experience.
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario7 October 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
A very good learning curve
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2012
I enjoyed working with everyone in the department, I enjoyed the position and my responsibilities, unfortunate there was no room for advancement in my position. I had 5 managers and a director to answer to on a daily basis and this at times made it very hard to do my job, do to cut backs a lot of duties came down from management with no further compensation, I loved handling the information sessions as it gave me the opportunity to meet the tax preparer's that we would deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
somewhat secure in the position
Cons
more responsibility no compensation
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.
Great place to retire, bad place to work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 July 2012
You have the values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity and Co-Operation shoved in your face every day but the favor is rarely returned to employees.

Things like education, motivation and production will get you a pat on the back but knowing the right people will get you places. There is a formalized hiring process but you quickly realize that the decisions are made before the process begins. How you're rewarded for performance is schizophrenic, sometimes its quantitative, sometimes its qualitative, you really have no idea until its too late. Career management is virtually non-existent, there's a good chance you're doing the same repetitive job for the rest of your life.

If you don't sweat the small stuff and want to wait 30 years for your pension this is a great place to kill 8 hours a day. If you have any drive to do anything more than the bare minimum, managers will take advantage of you until your burnt out and you'll have nothing to show for it.
Pros
training, good work/life balance, pension
Cons
lack of opportunity, no incentives to perform, insensitive management
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2015
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Pros
Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Team-work
IT Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 January 2016
CRA is an amazing place to work in terms of team working. The teamwork environment that I have seen it unbelievable. From Management to co-workers they help you as you need.
Pros
Kudos
Cons
no cash bonus
Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 November 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Good
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2015
CRA is a ged place to work and get experience in the IT field. My job was casual job and I got experience in web developing using xml, DB2.
Pros
good place to start my career.
Cons
low salary because it was student job.
Strict, regulated, official office setting
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 May 2013
I worked at a cubical. I clocked in and clocked out at the designated times (down to the second) to take telephone calls from clients and breaks. I learned the negative effects of office politics and how to avoid them. Management was very helpful in teaching me the importance of proper documentation! The hardest part of my job was coping with a poison atmosphere.
Pros
the salary
Cons
Lack of culture among colleagues
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 August 2015
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Already mentioned
Cons
Contract was not renewed
Just started as a consultant
(CRA) - IT ANALYST (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 April 2016
Just started this role as a consultant through agency. It's a bit unfair to judge the employer from an outside perspective.
Productive and Fun work place.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2015
This is a great place to start your career. The management helps you achieve your goals. Decent amount of hours during non tax season.
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 May 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
Great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
Work Ethics of a Permanent Employee vs a Term Employee is very difinitive.
Fast paced environment
Taxpayer Service Agent (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 April 2016
Very intense working environment. This job requires high efficiency and accuracy, but the supervisors are very helpful.
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL27 April 2014
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Pros
Excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons
Term position -- not secure.
It was a fun place to work with many opportunities to learn
Interior Design Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2016
It was a great place to work and the employees were very helpful with providing new tips with programs and advice. I was able to experience new programs and have a different understanding of the design field.
Pleasant co-workers and working conditions . Room for advancement. Good remuneration and benifits.
Receptionist/ Law Library Assistant SP3 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 July 2012
On a typical day, my duties are reception duties as well as updating
law library binders. I have various tasks to assist lawyers and their assistants
I have has the opportunity to enhance my computer and database skills.
I find management to be pleasant, encouraging and helpful.
My co-workers are very pleasant and we interact very well.
The most pleasant part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and visitors.
Pros
good salary. monday to friday hours.
Cons
my position is not yet indeterminate.
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 July 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Nothing bad to say, great place to work
Student employee (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE31 January 2014
Was a great place to work, Co workers were fine and so was management. Job security for some was lacking but you would be given at least appropriate dates. Sometimes they will keep someone on full time but keep them on contract so they do not have to give benefits.
Pros
good hours good money
Cons
sometimes hard to get benefits.