Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and a fun place
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Pros: compressed schedule
A typical day in this organization is all about multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment to manage time and deadlines, managing team referrals, facilitating, coaching and creating month-end metrics. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of meeting dead lines. Management is very supportive and coworkers are great.
Great Place
Error Inspection Control Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2013
Great place to work on a temp basis. Great people work there.
must meet their requirements/accuracy
Information Return Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: some times o/t
Good management, good co-workers,learned lot about the people's tax return.
Fantastic place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 14, 2013
You have many resources to consult when learning new workflows, management is available for any and all concerns, benefits are fantastic! The hardest part of the job is learning to multitask, but once you get the hang of it, you really can go far! I would love any opportunity to work there again!
Interesting place to work
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2013
Answering telephone inquiries of individual taxpayer.
Learned to be extra patient in dealing with senior taxpayer
Call Site
Tax Payer Services Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2013
Stressful environment. Most taxpayers hate paying taxes and thus it is a challenge to make them understand the rules and regulations and the obligation towards the Canadian society.

Co-workers are the excellent as there is a huge culture of team work.
A typical day
Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: meet lots of new people, helping people
Cons: none i can think of
I would meet with people that had made appointments with me and take their information and prepare and file their income tax returns.
Enjoy customer service and preparing tax returns
Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCOctober 30, 2013
Skilled and experienced in preparing wide variety of tax returns.
Challenging Place to work
Trust Accounts Compliance Officer (Payroll) (Current Employee), Ottawa , ONOctober 15, 2013
Overall a great work experience. Management went above & beyond to help with work-life balance & to accommodate due to life circumstances.
Very clicky place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits and room for advancement.
Cons: too much emphasis on inside politics and not enough on tax payer!
People in management do not have integrity. There is also favortism to people that have family working there no matter how bad their work ethics are. Full time staff talk terribly to term employees even though they enforce values and conflict free environment. I used to be proud to be a CRA employee but the more I witnessed how term employees are treated – more... and the unfairness to hard working employees that don;t have family there or are not a teamleaders favourite the more I thought I worked for the devil. I think that people who apply for positions should be screened better as there are people who work at CRA that are dishonest and drug users. – less
Good Place to Work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee), 360 Main Street Winnipeg MBSeptember 13, 2013
My current position allows for a flexable work schedule that enables for more freedom in my personal life. The salary and benefits are good. Co-workers are good and fun people. The hardest part of the job is that it can get a little mundane. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone out when it wasn't part of the job because it – more... is unexpected and leaves the person with a positive outlook on the organization. – less
Busy. Busy busy busy.
Collections Agent (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: you're with the government!
Cons: you're with the government!
Perspective employees, take note, you will be actively working every second you are there. There is no such thing as "down time" or "off season", there will be a voice in your ear every second of your day, every day in IITE, and Collections is not much better. "Cushy government job" these is not, I'm sure those exist somewhere still, but not in the – more... CRA.

If you're fine with that, they've got 1.5x time Overtime opportunities, that are opportunities and not mandatory, so that's awesome, money when you (might) need it, time when you don't. Everyone is supportive and friendly, at least internally...

You WILL suffer a lot of external abuse, but if you go into being a tax officer and NOT expect to be heckled, insulted, or death-threatened, then you probably are too innocent for business. Though it happens less than you'd think. Tax people are not well-liked, but the pay and benefits are good, and their training program (paid training) is amazing. – less
Production, Production, Production
Estate Assessor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: job experience
Cons: only contract work
A day at work, started at 7:30am and ended at 3:30pm. I would start off by checking emails and voice message. Then I would assess the returns that have been assigned to me.
Many opportunities
Collections Officer (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONAugust 29, 2013
many opportunities to learn different positions. proper equipment and resources to do your job
Productive day providing assitance to co-workers and entering information into the system.
Taxpayer Service Agent/Coach (Former Employee), Surrey, B.CAugust 28, 2013
Pros: opportunity to help others
Cons: lack of growth in the organization
My typical day at work is to assist others at all times by answering questions, guiding them through the manual, ensure they understand the process and procedures in order to process the tax returns. I have learned to train co-workers on various software and system in order to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is time management where I – more... must ensure that I assist others as well as achieve my target of the day. I enjoy helping others, coaching and mentoring employees. – less
Fun place
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2013
Pros: co-workers, pay
Cons: not challenging
I had a customer service position, but despite the work which was boring at times and mindless. The people working there are amazing.
All positions are Term and Management is terrible.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2013
Management treats you like you should be grateful to have a job by constantly giving you contract extension on the last day of your contract. They always defend by saying they never know their operating budget. This is just a lie there is not one business government or private sector that could operate in such a manner. When you tell them you need to – more... arrange for childcare or other life events, they tell you that you have to tell them that day if you accept a contract or not. It's just ridiculous, they expect a lot of loyalty and drop of the hat from you but give nothing in return. – less
not a fun place to work anymore
Collection Contact Officer (Former Employee), VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: stress level too high
Retired sometime ago. Do not miss the place. Used to be a fun place to work... NOT ANYMORE. People are retiring at an increasing rate. wages are ok. Pension is ok but I still question Ottawa stealing the millions of dollars from our pension plan...
Very challenging work environment
Taxpayer Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCAugust 11, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: n/a
- Very challenging work environment
- Redundant work
- Policy
Thank you for calling individual enquiries.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2013
Pros: good work location, good pay, good benefits
Cons: low job secuirty, stressful environment, toxic managers
The co-workers are pleasant, team leaders tend to behave like bullies, and management doesn't give care what you like. The culture is very cliquey. Some employees can't do anything right, some can do no wrong. Typically the more people in your circle you have working there, the more you can get away with.

The pay is respectable, and benefits (once – more... you've been there a number of months) are respectable. Hours tend to fluctuate from full time to part time (I had my days vary from 5 days a week down to 3 days a week). Emails are sent out, for employees to apply for additional hours, but are not a guarantee.

Job security is virtually non-existent, with employees contracts being renewed on an ongoing basis. Your contract renewal if you are out of favour, will be dangled over your head. This can be very stressful.

Training is decent, but I found myself in hot water for doing exactly what my training instructors told me to do. The standards seem to be anything but standard. Again, this is all depending on if you are "in" or "out" seems to make a big difference.

You pay for your own parking at the Calgary International Airport location it's $40.00/month for the "green" lot which is a pretty hefty walk if you follow the route your're SUPPOSED TO (not jay walking across airport trail) or if there is construction preventing you from jay walking across airport trail. Parking closer will cost you $120.00/month. Noteworthy here is that your employee i.d. will land you 10% off at the airport vendors, by the way.

Your day will start with clocking in and end with clocking out via your telephone. Every time you clock in and out (breaks, washrooms, etc.) is meticulously detailed and will be reviewed with you by team leaders who spend a good deal of their time chatting with other team leaders or their team members that are in their favour. I've seen team leaders have chat sessions of 30 minutes or longer, while you are constantly answering telephone calls from tax payers.

Your performance will be measured by listening sessions, of which there are two kinds. One involves a coworker listening on another headset, making notes of how you answer enquiries. Another involves a team leader listening without a headset, taking notes as you handle calls. The former is for quality measuring and the latter is for coaching, but both will directly impact your job security. These can be stressful. Often listeners are conditioned to find at least one fault with every call. If fall out of favour, you'll find yourself in an endless cycle of listening sessions, with increasing faults found in your.

Advancement means answering a wider variety of calls, and is handed out based on who is in and who is out. I've seen good agents get passed over for advancement, while incompetent ones are constantly given training and off phone activities.

The environment is fast paced and high conflict, I have been called every name in the book, it's not for thin skin. The pay is up and down, and the job security adds to the stress. Your union is good, but identify too closely with them, and you might find your team leader taking it as an insult to their authority. – less