Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

lots of advancement
Assessing Clerk (Former Employee) –  sudbury ontarioOctober 15, 2015
start at 7 am to 3pm
work on clients file either on paper or electronics
assess their personal returns or business returns
contact their representative for missing documentations
contact at times their lawyer or accountant or client themselves
contact either by phone or mail
from time to time send their file to other departments such as audits, medicals or charitables donations departments
Pros
finish early at 3 pm
Cons
had to meet productions and accuracy rate to be called next year
Typical day
Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (Current Employee) –  Cambridge/KitchenerOctober 15, 2015
I would be assigned a time for instance 8:00am-4:00pm and I would usually get out depending on the number of seniors filing returns. Some days I would get out at around 1:00pm some days 5:00pm
Very enjoyable place to work
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2015
Great co workers and supervisors. On-going learning and courses were offered. Typical hours of work are 8-4 except during tax season.
Great people and support
Minor Balance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCOctober 14, 2015
I advised tax clientele on their overdue tax accounts
Management was supportive and positive
The hardest part of my job was garnishing someone's wages
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to set up a payment schedule with a client and they came through and got their tax account paid off
Pros
Learning and development
Cons
short term contract
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2015
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Pros
Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Confidential and Peaceful workplace
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2015
Responsible for a wide range of administrative support functions such as verifying, and processing tax documents accurately and in a timely manner. Provided extensive customer care when dealing with tax payer conflicts. Excellent co-workers and loved my time with CRA.
Decent place to work in. Production based environment
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee) –  ottawa, ontarioOctober 8, 2015
The management is good at CRA.
the job of electronic data operations is a bit dull.
overall easygoing but quiet work environment
Pros
quiet environment
Cons
Very strict time alocation
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioOctober 7, 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
Stressful thankless job
Complex Assessment Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
Management only cases about quantity of work done not the quality of the work. Management plays favourites, letting some employees abuse their breaks while castrating others for being 5 minutes late coming back from break. Management will only support and develop the employees who share their same views.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
A Hellish nightmare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Average demographic is middle-aged and caucasian. Most "lifer" workers are miserable, behave in a privileged manner, and are amazingly lazy. Management goes on 2-3 hour lunch breaks and some males will sexually harass female employees- nothing will be done about it, other than their eventual transfer to another office. The union is useless and you cannot opt out of paying union dues- they come off your paycheque automatically.
I was told by management that the reason for the high pay rate is to "keep your mouth shut about what goes on around here", i.e. poorly managed/stored classified taxpayer information, huge backlog of work (more than 4 months backdated), among other issues. No proper services for ESL/French-speaking taxpayers unless you reside in Quebec.
You are required to do constant "competency" testing, which is done fortunately for you during work hours (unfortunately for the taxpayers). These are mandatory psychological tests issued to employees to basically ensure that the people they promote are of the same hegemonic mindset that has always existed there.
They say that overtime is voluntary, but if you don't sign up for it you will be shunned and mistreated by management.
Everyone is sleeping with everyone and many employees also show up smelling of liquor. It's really unsettling. There are also never any vegan/vegetarian options at the mandatory staff BBQ's, which alienates some staff members into not participating, for which they are reprimanded.
Employees are also not allowed to pursue any type of social justice activities outside of work. You will be reprimanded
  more... if you are caught participating in activities such as human rights marches or protests, regardless of their message/purpose. You are not allowed to talk to the press for any reason, ever.
Employees who are non-white immigrants, or who possess tattoos and piercings, are not outwardly shunned, but are ridiculed and harassed by other staff members with no repercussion.
If you are hired as a permanent employee automatically, you will have your job for life and can do whatever you want. If you are unfortunate enough to be hired as a contract employee or temp, God help you. They will wait until your permanency status comes up and they will lay you off. If you are hired again, your previous years worked will not be counted toward your permanent status. They have kept term employees on in this manner for literally YEARS with no hope of them ever becoming permanent employees (this is somehow legal). However, you cannot argue with the pay rate or benefits package. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Canada's economy is garbage. What is a little white girl to do?
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Harassment from management, lazy coworkers, gossip, public drunkenness
Productive and Fun work place.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
This is a great place to start your career. The management helps you achieve your goals. Decent amount of hours during non tax season.
NA
RESOURCE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  TORONTO, ONSeptember 1, 2015
It is a good position. Working there is pleasant. Everyone is very nice. There are always many changes happening and it is an environment where high adaptability is necessary.
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2015
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Already mentioned
Cons
Contract was not renewed
Overall goood experience
Data Base Administrator (Current Employee) –  ottawa, canadaJuly 30, 2015
Ok work place.
Fellow employees were helpful.
Doing request on a day to day basis for clients.
Work was pleasant.
Management was ok.
Face paced and enjoyable workplace
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 24, 2015
Fast paced work environment.
Learned about T1 General Tax Return forms for individuals
Teams led my strong team leaders.
Extremely friendly and diverse employees.
Most enjoyable part of the job is always adapting to new tax payers.
Pros
Overtime hours and premiums
CRA provides a great service to the Canadian taxpayer
Income Tax/Excise Tax Auditor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2015
The employees at the Canada Revenue Agency do a great job for the taxpayers of Canada. There job can be stressful dealing when dealing with the public. They are just like you and I and deserve to be dealt with on a professional and business manner.
Very friendly atmosphere in the office.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
- People working here are friendly and cooperative.
- It is a union environment, however management and union work very well together.
- Red tape reduction committees are working hard to reduce the overall ed tape.
- Our focus is on customer service
- Our organization has become one of the best to work with in Canada and worldwide.
Contract work - T3 Assessor, General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2015
Plenty of work to do and it was interesting dealing with returns from
across Canada. The management were good to work with and they
had scheduled performance interviews which allowed one to offer
suggestions for improvement and or where one could voice a complaint. The job was rated on performance levels and that made the task challenging but also stimulating.
Pros
accumulated sick days
Cons
mostly contract work
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Pros
friendly employees, salary
Cons
term positions

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location