Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 8, 2014
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security
Just started as a consultant
(CRA) - IT ANALYST (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 13, 2016
Just started this role as a consultant through agency. It's a bit unfair to judge the employer from an outside perspective.
Pretty good working environmnet and would love to work there again
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 3, 2016
I was working as consultant for 9 month with Shared Services Canada and one of the client we work with is Canada Revenue Agency.

Nice working environment and people are very friendly, would love to work with them again
A very good learning curve
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2012
I enjoyed working with everyone in the department, I enjoyed the position and my responsibilities, unfortunate there was no room for advancement in my position. I had 5 managers and a director to answer to on a daily basis and this at times made it very hard to do my job, do to cut backs a lot of duties came down from management with no further compensation, I loved handling the information sessions as it gave me the opportunity to meet the tax preparer's that we would deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
somewhat secure in the position
Cons
more responsibility no compensation
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
Great workplace
Senior Program Advisor, E-Services (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Worked at CRA for 10 years with some of the most amazing and skilled people in the Canadian workforce. Had the chance to work on some of the best files in the Agency. Thankful for awesome managers and friendly staff.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Repetitive work
Great people and support
Minor Balance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCOctober 14, 2015
I advised tax clientele on their overdue tax accounts
Management was supportive and positive
The hardest part of my job was garnishing someone's wages
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to set up a payment schedule with a client and they came through and got their tax account paid off
Pros
Learning and development
Cons
short term contract
Great place to retire, bad place to work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2012
You have the values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity and Co-Operation shoved in your face every day but the favor is rarely returned to employees.

Things like education, motivation and production will get you a pat on the back but knowing the right people will get you places. There is a formalized hiring process but you quickly realize that the decisions are made before the process begins. How you're rewarded for performance is schizophrenic, sometimes its quantitative, sometimes its qualitative, you really have no idea until its too late. Career management is virtually non-existent, there's a good chance you're doing the same repetitive job for the rest of your life.

If you don't sweat the small stuff and want to wait 30 years for your pension this is a great place to kill 8 hours a day. If you have any drive to do anything more than the bare minimum, managers will take advantage of you until your burnt out and you'll have nothing to show for it.
Pros
training, good work/life balance, pension
Cons
lack of opportunity, no incentives to perform, insensitive management
Review accounting records of clients
Field Examiner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Review and audit the books and records of clients to ensure compliance with income tax regulations. Discuss tax issues with manager, clients and their representatives, research tax legislation and prepare working papers, audit reports and correspondence.
Pros
Flexibility
company gym
Payment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 13, 2016
work is not too bad lots of different stuff to do so you dont get bored, high pay, and they got a gym for people that need to get a lift in.
Pros
pay, contract work
Cons
sensitive information = no phones ever
Great work environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 16, 2015
Good fast place working conditions, constant areas in which to grow and learn. Compensation was fair. Good employee appreciation.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Term position
Productive and interesting
SP1 Term Contract Position (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I found it an extremely positive atmosphere to work in compared to the private industry job that I came from.

We worked in teams and the group I got along very well and made it a pleasure to go to work everyday.
Great Place to Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 24, 2015
Excellent Leaders, Excellent Co-Workers, Lots of Learning required, great hours, interesting work, good benefits,
Strict, regulated, official office setting
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2013
I worked at a cubical. I clocked in and clocked out at the designated times (down to the second) to take telephone calls from clients and breaks. I learned the negative effects of office politics and how to avoid them. Management was very helpful in teaching me the importance of proper documentation! The hardest part of my job was coping with a poison atmosphere.
Pros
the salary
Cons
lack of culture among colleagues
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 20, 2014
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
Pros
great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons
work ethics of a permanent employee vs a term employee is very difinitive.
Contract work - T3 Assessor, General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2015
Plenty of work to do and it was interesting dealing with returns from
across Canada. The management were good to work with and they
had scheduled performance interviews which allowed one to offer
suggestions for improvement and or where one could voice a complaint. The job was rated on performance levels and that made the task challenging but also stimulating.
Pros
accumulated sick days
Cons
mostly contract work
Decent place to work in. Production based environment
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Former Employee) –  ottawa, ontarioOctober 8, 2015
The management is good at CRA.
the job of electronic data operations is a bit dull.
overall easygoing but quiet work environment
Pros
quiet environment
Cons
Very strict time alocation
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLApril 27, 2014
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Pros
excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons
term position -- not secure.
Rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ONApril 22, 2015
A great way to provide an important service to the community. Great training and helpful management team.

Tax preparation software is top-notch and easy to use and troubleshoot.

An awesome experience that I will resume once College is completed.
Pros
Needed service to the community
Cons
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future

4.2