Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Office was in a good location
Auditor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: good health benefits
Cons: advancement was very limited.
Organization is a branch of the Federal Government. Procedures
are not always efficient and effective. Work environment is that of a government office.
Productive and easy going
Child Tax Benefits (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 12, 2014
Fast-paced work environment that requires you to reach daily production goals. Accuracy is key. Laid back atmosphere and casual dress code.
great place to work
Collection Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCDecember 10, 2013
Pros: working independently
Cons: long hours on the phone collecting
Loved working downtown Montreal
Job security
Great co-workers, very friendly and warm
Good for Job Work/Life Balance
Collections Contact&Employer Accounts (Former Employee), Quebec City & Shawinigan-Sud, QCDecember 4, 2013
Pros: job work/life balance, easier access to internal opportunities for contract positions
Cons: limited opportunities for permanent position, foreign diploma not decently recognized, closed minded in some areas
It provides a Job Work/Life Balance environment, but not easy to obtain a permanent position.
Productive and a fun place
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Pros: compressed schedule
A typical day in this organization is all about multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment to manage time and deadlines, managing team referrals, facilitating, coaching and creating month-end metrics. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of meeting dead lines. Management is very supportive and coworkers are great.
Great Place
Error Inspection Control Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2013
Great place to work on a temp basis. Great people work there.
must meet their requirements/accuracy
Information Return Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: some times o/t
Good management, good co-workers,learned lot about the people's tax return.
Fantastic place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 14, 2013
You have many resources to consult when learning new workflows, management is available for any and all concerns, benefits are fantastic! The hardest part of the job is learning to multitask, but once you get the hang of it, you really can go far! I would love any opportunity to work there again!
Interesting place to work
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2013
Answering telephone inquiries of individual taxpayer.
Learned to be extra patient in dealing with senior taxpayer
Call Site
Tax Payer Services Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2013
Stressful environment. Most taxpayers hate paying taxes and thus it is a challenge to make them understand the rules and regulations and the obligation towards the Canadian society.

Co-workers are the excellent as there is a huge culture of team work.
A typical day
Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: meet lots of new people, helping people
Cons: none i can think of
I would meet with people that had made appointments with me and take their information and prepare and file their income tax returns.
Enjoy customer service and preparing tax returns
Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCOctober 30, 2013
Skilled and experienced in preparing wide variety of tax returns.
Challenging Place to work
Trust Accounts Compliance Officer (Payroll) (Current Employee), Ottawa , ONOctober 15, 2013
Overall a great work experience. Management went above & beyond to help with work-life balance & to accommodate due to life circumstances.
Very clicky place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits and room for advancement.
Cons: too much emphasis on inside politics and not enough on tax payer!
People in management do not have integrity. There is also favortism to people that have family working there no matter how bad their work ethics are. Full time staff talk terribly to term employees even though they enforce values and conflict free environment. I used to be proud to be a CRA employee but the more I witnessed how term employees are treated – more... and the unfairness to hard working employees that don;t have family there or are not a teamleaders favourite the more I thought I worked for the devil. I think that people who apply for positions should be screened better as there are people who work at CRA that are dishonest and drug users. – less
Good Place to Work
Tax Auditor (Current Employee), 360 Main Street Winnipeg MBSeptember 13, 2013
My current position allows for a flexable work schedule that enables for more freedom in my personal life. The salary and benefits are good. Co-workers are good and fun people. The hardest part of the job is that it can get a little mundane. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone out when it wasn't part of the job because it – more... is unexpected and leaves the person with a positive outlook on the organization. – less
Busy. Busy busy busy.
Collections Agent (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: you're with the government!
Cons: you're with the government!
Perspective employees, take note, you will be actively working every second you are there. There is no such thing as "down time" or "off season", there will be a voice in your ear every second of your day, every day in IITE, and Collections is not much better. "Cushy government job" these is not, I'm sure those exist somewhere still, but not in the – more... CRA.

If you're fine with that, they've got 1.5x time Overtime opportunities, that are opportunities and not mandatory, so that's awesome, money when you (might) need it, time when you don't. Everyone is supportive and friendly, at least internally...

You WILL suffer a lot of external abuse, but if you go into being a tax officer and NOT expect to be heckled, insulted, or death-threatened, then you probably are too innocent for business. Though it happens less than you'd think. Tax people are not well-liked, but the pay and benefits are good, and their training program (paid training) is amazing. – less
Production, Production, Production
Estate Assessor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: job experience
Cons: only contract work
A day at work, started at 7:30am and ended at 3:30pm. I would start off by checking emails and voice message. Then I would assess the returns that have been assigned to me.
Many opportunities
Collections Officer (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONAugust 29, 2013
many opportunities to learn different positions. proper equipment and resources to do your job
Productive day providing assitance to co-workers and entering information into the system.
Taxpayer Service Agent/Coach (Former Employee), Surrey, B.CAugust 28, 2013
Pros: opportunity to help others
Cons: lack of growth in the organization
My typical day at work is to assist others at all times by answering questions, guiding them through the manual, ensure they understand the process and procedures in order to process the tax returns. I have learned to train co-workers on various software and system in order to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is time management where I – more... must ensure that I assist others as well as achieve my target of the day. I enjoy helping others, coaching and mentoring employees. – less
Fun place
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2013
Pros: co-workers, pay
Cons: not challenging
I had a customer service position, but despite the work which was boring at times and mindless. The people working there are amazing.