Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Friendly & Helpful environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2016
Working at the Canada Revenue Agency provided much needed experience in regards to different tax rules and regulations. It also provided a learning experience in terms of dealing with various types of people and working in a heavy workload environment.
Pros
flexible timings, friendly environment
Cons
Heavy workload, tiring
Union. good wages, great hours. Employee hierarchy
Mailroom and General Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 January 2017
Great hours.
Lots of work to keep busy.
Managers are tough and uncompromising.
do your work without error and you'll be fine.
Pros
government hours
Cons
union can make for a disconnected atmosphere between managemet and employe
CRA pay is good at entry-level but not so good for experienced professionals
Income Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 July 2016
Too many term employees. No advantage for those that have professional designation.
This is in comparism to the other employers' that emphasize the attainment of a professional designation as a necessary condition for some jobs.
The pay at entry level is good but low for experienced professionals when compared to the private sector and even the provincial and municipal government jobs.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Most jobs are on contract basis
A very cushy government job
Data Capture Operator (3 month contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
Flexible schedule and it pays very well. The only problem I had with this organization is that the work itself was very boring. Very tedious and not very challenging.
Appeals Officer tasks
Appeals Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
Typical day at work consisted of answering calls from clients and taxpayers, working on different cases, working with excel spreadsheets. Great environment to work in, the staff is friendly and very helpful.
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 April 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours
It was interesting experience
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
interesting experience helping students to files taxes. Good experience for a person that wants to learn tax software. Opportunity to meets a lot of different people.
Great Place, Great People
Audit Workload Developer (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2017
I worked here as a student for 1 year. They treated me great and cared primarily about my success. They give the appropriate training to ensure that you can do your job properly.
Relaxed environment/ Great Learning oppourtunities
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2016
-New learning material each day
-Spoke with new clients on a daily basis
-Analyzed and resolved different issues
-Resourceful Co-workers
Pros
Great hours-lots to learn
Cons
Shortened contract work- lacked proper management
Great place to work!
Information technology infrastructure analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 May 2016
Friendly staff, good benefits, positive work environment. If you want a Monday to Friday that doesn't follow you home this is the place for you!
Pros
Good staff, No shift work, low stress
Cons
Have to work within specific parameters at all times, which can make work take longer sometimes
Positive work environment
Junior Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2016
Colleagues are very fun and supportive. Management is very supportive and always offering new opportunities to grow and learn new skills.
Cool, laid-back, understanding
Collections Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2017
I would review consumer and bankruptcy proposals and assessed them of their importance and assign accounts to higher level officers.
Very clicky place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 September 2013
People in management do not have integrity. There is also favortism to people that have family working there no matter how bad their work ethics are. Full time staff talk terribly to term employees even though they enforce values and conflict free environment. I used to be proud to be a CRA employee but the more I witnessed how term employees are treated and the unfairness to hard working employees that don;t have family there or are not a teamleaders favourite the more I thought I worked for the devil. I think that people who apply for positions should be screened better as there are people who work at CRA that are dishonest and drug users.
Pros
Good pay and benefits and room for advancement.
Cons
Too much emphasis on inside politics and not enough on tax payer!
The typical desk job
Analyst/Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2012
I would write code for web pages, databases and applications to track and monitor application going from different stages in the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).

Chaired meetings with the different groups working on each project, providing updates on their section.

Management were always willing to work with you and help resolve any issue that arose. Projects were always planned well in advance and all required material and services secured in advance.

Co-workers were not ones to ruffle feathers, but got their job done. Some co-workers were keen for advancement, but most were working towards retirements.

Hardest part of the job was getting around the red tape. Getting anything accomplished required 6 approvals and resources from 5 different departments.

Pay, benefits and home/work life were all the best parts of the job. Pension was provided for those who qualified.
Pros
pension, benefits and pay
Cons
sitting in front of a computer all day.
Productive and growing environment.
Income Tax Preparer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 August 2016
Got to meet many new people and the return were tricker than i was hoping, but co-volunteers were really helpful. The co-ordinators were understanding and considerate.
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2016
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
Pros
Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons
Had to be a student to keep the job
Great once you get a non-contract position
Collections Contact Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 October 2014
I thoroughly enjoy the supportive management and focus on health and well-being. They strive to make sure you are looked after mentally and physically.

My one complaint is job security. Being hired on a contract basis makes me feel less secure despite having a specific job set.

The hardest part of being a collections officer is summoning the fortitude to force your help upon people who really don't want it.

The most enjoyable part is that you work with people who can understand your struggle and will support you.
Pros
Health and dental benefits, flexible work arrangements, high degree of independence
Cons
The union and the government have not come to a formal agreement on pay in the last two years.
Productive, great place to work.
COLLECTIONS OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2012
•a typical day at work
I would manage an inventory with client's that i would deal with until a tax liability is resolved. On a typical day, i would write summaries and determines plans of actions to resolve an account, and act on my plans when necessary.

•what you learned
I have learnt to negotiate, deal with difficult situations, lots of knowledge about taxes, client service skills, effective interactive communication skills, preparing financial statements.

•management
Management is very flexible and works around your life to accomodate different lifestyles.

•your co-workers
Very friendly, kind, open to new things, respectful, helpful.

•the hardest part of the job
Demanding payment

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Being able to work in a comfortable environment.
Pros
benefits and very flexible with work hours
Cons
not a stable job, and would like to advance in my career and there is not alot of room to do so.
Decent salary and benefits
Mail/Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 August 2016
Employee turnover was high during different times of the year and you have multiple bosses to report to that all want things done in a different way..
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2014
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location