Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very clicky place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits and room for advancement.
Cons: too much emphasis on inside politics and not enough on tax payer!
People in management do not have integrity. There is also favortism to people that have family working there no matter how bad their work ethics are. Full time staff talk terribly to term employees even though they enforce values and conflict free environment. I used to be proud to be a CRA employee but the more I witnessed how term employees are treated and the unfairness to hard working employees that don;t have family there or are not a teamleaders favourite the more I thought I worked for the devil. I think that people who apply for positions should be screened better as there are people who work at CRA that are dishonest and drug users.
You got as much out of your job as you put in. I took advantage of all courses and training and applied it.
Administration and Field Officer (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 9, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: no parking spaces on duckwork st, \nl
Each day I worked 7.5 hours or longer if I was in travel status. I am a conscientious worker and an independent worker who needs little supervision. I worked various jobs with CRA. The most enjoyable part was the contact with clients and helping them solve their problems, I really enjoyed my co-workers and still keeps in contact. There really was no hard part of the job. I had no problem with management and my experience was always welcomed and used by them, Education was always enforced and because of the nature of the job took the accounting from MUN.
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee), Penticton and VancouverMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons: Travelling away from the family.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Challenging to work for the federal government
Collections Agent (Former Employee), Penticton, British ColumbiaFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: stressful
On the phone all day taking calls from tax payers who received collection letters or requirements to pay seizing bank accounts. Very stressful but the best part is getting someone out of collections by with a payment plan that may take up to two years awesome feeling. Helping people; problem solving are my best skills.

Co-workers very supportive and team players.

the hardest part is when people are in due to financial circumstances beyond their control and having no way to pay. We could not help then in our department.
Very diverse work environment where every day was different.
IT Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMay 20, 2014
Pros: great team of individuals where knowledge is shared on a daily basis.
Cons: work ethics of a permanent employee vs a term employee is very difinitive.
As stated above, every day was different. Supporting 1000's of end users across Canada proved to be very challenging. QA and Data Security was a very important factor when dealing with Canadian Taxpayer information. From 2008-2014 change was daily as the IT world evolved. I had the privilege of working with a great Team that helped me advance in my career. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inter-office politics. Permanent jobs are not offered often.
All positions are Term and Management is terrible.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2013
Management treats you like you should be grateful to have a job by constantly giving you contract extension on the last day of your contract. They always defend by saying they never know their operating budget. This is just a lie there is not one business government or private sector that could operate in such a manner. When you tell them you need to arrange for childcare or other life events, they tell you that you have to tell them that day if you accept a contract or not. It's just ridiculous, they expect a lot of loyalty and drop of the hat from you but give nothing in return.
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee), Mount Pearl, NLApril 27, 2014
Pros: excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons: term position -- not secure.
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group.
Excellent place to work
Income Tax Represenataive (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 25, 2014
The work day starts form 9:00 am to 5pm. I love the environment. People are very friendly and always willing to help on matters that you are not aware of ,for example, new implement tax policies. Moreover, i got the opportunity to learn and use new tax soft-wares, how to deal with more technical tax issues such as, RRSP, and Business Income.The hardest part of the job is how attention to detail you have to be over long periods of time ,but meeting new people was very rewarding which made my stay there very enjoyable!
great job and great pay
Data Entry Operator (SEASONAL) (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJanuary 24, 2013
I have been working at CRA for 6 years now. I really like the job. I enter all the information on T4's, T5's, T3's forms. We need to have the speed and accuracy which I qualify for every year for my return at CRA.
It is a routine type of day and sometimes helping others with workload. They are very nice to work with and communicate with.
The hardes part of the job would be not having enough work to continue our contract. Other than that it is great.
I would like to work full time with them but it is very hard.
Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCNovember 2, 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Summer Student
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 16, 2012
Pros: nice lunch room, great view, beautiful office building, casual friday
Cons: limited internet
I was hired as a summer student after three interviews, and placed at the regional office for Real Property in the Finance and Administration department. I assisted project leaders by completing assignments that were given to me as they needed. I learned a lot about the professional business world and how to communicate professionally. The hardest part of the job was making a cost analysis report. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my own cubicle and comfy chair to work on.
Productive day providing assitance to co-workers and entering information into the system.
Taxpayer Service Agent/Coach (Former Employee), Surrey, B.CAugust 28, 2013
Pros: opportunity to help others
Cons: lack of growth in the organization
My typical day at work is to assist others at all times by answering questions, guiding them through the manual, ensure they understand the process and procedures in order to process the tax returns. I have learned to train co-workers on various software and system in order to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is time management where I must ensure that I assist others as well as achieve my target of the day. I enjoy helping others, coaching and mentoring employees.
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
Pros: friendly employees, salary
Cons: term positions
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Good location to learn and get started in the IT field.
Programmer Analyst/Developer (CS2) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: Great learning experience and flexible schedule.
Cons: Lack of team work and cooperation with a touch of knowledge.
The work was great, plenty of co-workers in the team to manage the workload and complete the work on time. Co-workers overall knowledge of the computers was slim but knowledge of the system in place was plenty. Management was fine at best but lots of room to improve. People had a bad tendency of spending lots of time talking about other co-workers and other information that was not relevant to work. Leave most of the work to be completed by a few selected individual.
Positive atmosphere in a workplace
IT Analyst/ Developer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: need to be bilingual in order to grow in the future
Canada Revenue Ageny is a great place to work.
In this job I can find a good work/life balance.
This job requires consistent back and forth communication among team members and clients.
The hardest part of the job was to transition into work culture and understanding certain policies and procedures because the organization is very large.
Working for CRA, I had met many interesting people and have gained alot of knowledge and experience.
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), London, ONMay 8, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful.
A friendly workplace with great work hours
Non-Filer/Non-Registrant Audit Trainee (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2013
Pros: good work hours
Cons: was not a challenging job
The work required ensuring that clients complied with CRA guidelines and filed their taxes.

Needed to review individual and corporate tax returns and ensure they were filed on time or at the least filed. Started a few projects trying to find non-filers in the trucking and self-employment industry.

Co-workers were friendly and willing to show me the ropes.
The hardest part was getting used to the norms and the ERP system in place.
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Salary and benefits
Cons: Micromanaged
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Interesting work but management and team work almost inexistant.
Relief Request Screener (Former Employee), Surrey Tax Centre, Surrey BCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: good salary.
Cons: team leader has her favorite team member. information not available most of the time.
Extremely difficult to get information necessary to do my work.
Information asked to different co-workers was different, or incomplete.
When asked the same question twice to the same person, got two different answers.
Most of the information is not written anywhere, and yet whan I asked for it I was tols: "You're supposed to know it"... or "You will have to learn it the same way I did, bit by bit".
C.R.A> was a challenging and rewarding employer
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 23, 2015
C.R.A. was a very good place to work. There was never any fear of being laid off. There was adequate opportunities for advancement and diversification. For example, I could have decided to go into full time instruction . There were several different departments and they were open to all employees. The most difficult aspect of the job was the possibility of confrontation out on the road from clients that were being audited. Sometimes this could be problematic.