Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good pay, but no security
Clerical Assistant & Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), London, ONMay 8, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: poorly managed, extreme favouritism, difficult to advance, no job security
Felt as though I was able to help the public and make a difference as a taxpayer services agent. Learned a lot about income tax and the processing of tax returns.

VERY poorly managed, lack of leadership, favouritism, and harassment from management.

Continually worked contracts for nearly 5 years as it was extremely difficult to get a permanent job.

Most – more... coworkers were wonderful to work with, but a select few were very underhanded, rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful. – less
Prestigious work
Taxpayer Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2014
Great people to work with. Learned a lot from different people. Fast paced environment. High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
Quiet, flexible office environment
Bilingual Specialty Services Clerk (Former Employee), Mount Pearl, NLApril 27, 2014
Pros: excellent salary, professional development opportunities, regular hours, sick and personal time
Cons: term position -- not secure.
Most of my day would consist of responding to written forms and requests from Francophone taxpayers to add, modify, or delete personal information contained within the CRA taxpayer database. Once a week I attended an Oral Interaction retention course in order to maintain and polish my oral competency in French. Because taxpayers did not visit our particular – more... office, the dress code was very relaxed. The office culture was also quite relaxed and the employees a very close-knit group. – less
wow
Assessment clerk (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 23, 2014
the clients are the best, always happy to see you
the team is great

the work ho
Canada Revenue Agency Review
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 23, 2014
Pros: own cubical, reasonable hours, good pay, freedom
Excellent place to work and gain experience. I got in through the Aboriginal Internship and it was a great learning experience that I will only benefit from. The managers and coworkers are all very friendly and career driven. The hardest part of the job is getting your contract renewed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the awesome work atmosphere.
A typical day at work
Collections Officer (Call Center Agent) (Former Employee), Ottawa OntarioApril 22, 2014
Pros: nature of the job, people i work with
Cons: nature of the job, short breaks
Working at the CRA was a short term contract but I had learned a substantial amount of experience and working knowledge of the Call Centre environment and atmosphere. Working as a collection agent calling individual Canadians who have outstanding accounts.

The hardest part of this job is knowing you are sometime powerless to help the people who you – more... are talking to over the phone in certain issues when your bound by rules and obligations to uphold. When your talking to someone whom can not afford to pay off their debts and have no money to support their kids and put food on the table;
Morality sets in cause its your job to collect as much as possible and to clear as many accounts as you can.

The most enjoyable part of this job for me is knowing that the many people I have contacted and help resolved their debt issue and able to help them fine a resolutions makes it every bit rewarding. – less
boring place. great job security and great pay
customer service rep (Former Employee), north yorkApril 20, 2014
great pay. great benefits. very relaxed environment. boring place. great job security and great pay
Excellent Example of Work Life Balance in a Stressful Environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2014
Pros: on the job activities during work hours are excellent; 24-hour access to professional services.
Cons: no job security: employment contract-based.
Excellent example of an employer dealing with work life balance. A call centre is a very stressful environment and the CRA provides all kinds of activities to break up the monotony and stresses of the job: some are off-the-wall but fun. There is also 24-hour access to all kinds of professional advice.The diversity in the workplace makes for an interesting – more... and enjoyable work environment. – less
Excellent place to work
Income Tax Represenataive (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 25, 2014
The work day starts form 9:00 am to 5pm. I love the environment. People are very friendly and always willing to help on matters that you are not aware of ,for example, new implement tax policies. Moreover, i got the opportunity to learn and use new tax soft-wares, how to deal with more technical tax issues such as, RRSP, and Business Income.The hardest – more... part of the job is how attention to detail you have to be over long periods of time ,but meeting new people was very rewarding which made my stay there very enjoyable! – less
Stable work
Senior Java Developer, Consultant (Current Employee), Ottawa, CanadaFebruary 17, 2014
stable work. very business driven. Government environment. Big development going on.
Productive and nice place to work.
Acting Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2014
Nice place to work with advancement including training needs.
Seasonal work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Clearly defined duties.
Help available if needed.
Positive work environment
Biased work environment
Senior Public Affairs Advisor (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: i met some individuals who were professional and had good self estime.
Cons: racial bias and poor management
My managers were a disaster: they played favourites among the staff and prevented me from having adequate contact with clients. In one case they plotted my failure in a specific assignment, but the plot backfired when the client instructed my manager and the one who participated in the plot to modify their work to match the quality of mine.

Although – more... I raised my complaints in writing to management, the latter ignored me utterly; yet when a colleague reported something overheard--admitting that my comment was addressed to no one and that there was no context--management brought me in for questioning regarding a matter I was completely unaware of.

Unable to answer my grievances, the agency's management found a way to "silence" me.

A typical work day: reporting to my boss in the presence of my colleagues that I was available to take on more work and being overtly and embarrassingly ignored in front of my peers. Carrying out make-work projects and even being "assigned" work by a summer student, although I was at the highest administrative level, just below management. I alone in the Agency had to produce a daily report of the tasks I performed....every day!

The racism in CRA management was kept hidden from others but was effective in undermining my career and poisoning my experience in the Public Service.

My most enjoyable experience was serving clients.

I didn't believe the nightmare of bias that was present in Canada's Public Service...until I lived it! I mention all of this only because you asked. – less
Fun workplace and great team members
Client Services Agent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: great hours and very flexible when asking for holidays.
Cons: stressful at times
Help clients with tax questions and every day I learned something new. Always had fun at work which relieved the stress and team leader was always very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry clients and we still had to be very professional.
Nothing bad to say, great place to work
Student employee (Former Employee), Summerside, PEJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: good hours good money
Cons: sometimes hard to get benefits.
Was a great place to work, Co workers were fine and so was management. Job security for some was lacking but you would be given at least appropriate dates. Sometimes they will keep someone on full time but keep them on contract so they do not have to give benefits.
Working at CRA
INCOME TAX AUDITOR (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and excellent work-life balance
There are no typical days with CRA as your work can be as varied as your clients. While many audits have similar steps, every business is unique and as a result employees must be able to adapt techniques used to review issues with previous taxpayers to the unique circumstances of the current audit.

The in-depth exposure to hundreds of businesses provides – more... an experience-based education second to none. Working closely with business owners during an audit provides many opportunities to learn exactly how business are run. In addition to experience-based learning, the Agency also provides extensive internal training as well as some higher level professional development courses. I would say that my formal education gave me an excellent toolbox to work from but my experiences with CRA are where I truly learned about accounting, auditing, and tax. – less
Office was in a good location
Auditor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: good health benefits
Cons: advancement was very limited.
Organization is a branch of the Federal Government. Procedures
are not always efficient and effective. Work environment is that of a government office.
Productive and easy going
Child Tax Benefits (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 12, 2014
Fast-paced work environment that requires you to reach daily production goals. Accuracy is key. Laid back atmosphere and casual dress code.
great place to work
Collection Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCDecember 10, 2013
Pros: working independently
Cons: long hours on the phone collecting
Loved working downtown Montreal
Job security
Great co-workers, very friendly and warm
Good for Job Work/Life Balance
Collections Contact&Employer Accounts (Former Employee), Quebec City & Shawinigan-Sud, QCDecember 4, 2013
Pros: job work/life balance, easier access to internal opportunities for contract positions
Cons: limited opportunities for permanent position, foreign diploma not decently recognized, closed minded in some areas
It provides a Job Work/Life Balance environment, but not easy to obtain a permanent position.