Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 2, 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Lots to learn every day
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 10, 2015
The job salary and benefits were great. There was constant change and that kept my on my feet.I really enjoyed learning new things everyday.There was however no job security.
Pros
Compressed Schedule
Cons
No job security
Stressful thankless job
Complex Assessment Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
Management only cases about quantity of work done not the quality of the work. Management plays favourites, letting some employees abuse their breaks while castrating others for being 5 minutes late coming back from break. Management will only support and develop the employees who share their same views.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
Great work environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 16, 2015
Good fast place working conditions, constant areas in which to grow and learn. Compensation was fair. Good employee appreciation.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Term position
Good
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 19, 2015
CRA is a ged place to work and get experience in the IT field. My job was casual job and I got experience in web developing using xml, DB2.
Pros
good place to start my career.
Cons
low salary because it was student job.
Great Place to Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 24, 2015
Excellent Leaders, Excellent Co-Workers, Lots of Learning required, great hours, interesting work, good benefits,
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2015
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Already mentioned
Cons
Contract was not renewed
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 5, 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not decent management
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Pros
friendly employees, salary
Cons
term positions
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2016
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
Pros
Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons
Had to be a student to keep the job
Opportunity for me to give back to the community
Tax Filing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Canada Revenue Agency as a CVITP for the past 3 months. My office was allocated in Burnaby community Services (2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, BC). I was responsible to prepared income tax returns and benefits for low-income people. I got a chance to make lot of connections and was able to apply the skills and knowledge I learn from BCIT to give back to the community. My mentor from Burnaby Community Service had given me lots of useful instructions and I'm grateful to have her as my supervisor.
Pros
Free luches, opportunities to meet new clients
Good location to learn and get started in the IT field.
Programmer Analyst/Developer (CS2) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
The work was great, plenty of co-workers in the team to manage the workload and complete the work on time. Co-workers overall knowledge of the computers was slim but knowledge of the system in place was plenty. Management was fine at best but lots of room to improve. People had a bad tendency of spending lots of time talking about other co-workers and other information that was not relevant to work. Leave most of the work to be completed by a few selected individual.
Pros
Great learning experience and flexible schedule.
Cons
Lack of team work and cooperation with a touch of knowledge.
C.R.A> was a challenging and rewarding employer
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 23, 2015
C.R.A. was a very good place to work. There was never any fear of being laid off. There was adequate opportunities for advancement and diversification. For example, I could have decided to go into full time instruction . There were several different departments and they were open to all employees. The most difficult aspect of the job was the possibility of confrontation out on the road from clients that were being audited. Sometimes this could be problematic.
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and VancouverMarch 25, 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioOctober 7, 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
was an exciting experience
Community volunteer income tax program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, canadaNovember 22, 2015
a typical day at work was quite busy because of different clients trying to file their taxes. i learned how to file tax and use the software which was an amazing experience for me because its outside my area of study. the management and co-workers helped create a positive environment due to their commitment to team work. the hardest part sometimes was the software because it was complex and enjoyable part is basically the new work experience.
A Hellish nightmare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Average demographic is middle-aged and caucasian. Most "lifer" workers are miserable, behave in a privileged manner, and are amazingly lazy. Management goes on 2-3 hour lunch breaks and some males will sexually harass female employees- nothing will be done about it, other than their eventual transfer to another office. The union is useless and you cannot opt out of paying union dues- they come off your paycheque automatically.
I was told by management that the reason for the high pay rate is to "keep your mouth shut about what goes on around here", i.e. poorly managed/stored classified taxpayer information, huge backlog of work (more than 4 months backdated), among other issues. No proper services for ESL/French-speaking taxpayers unless you reside in Quebec.
You are required to do constant "competency" testing, which is done fortunately for you during work hours (unfortunately for the taxpayers). These are mandatory psychological tests issued to employees to basically ensure that the people they promote are of the same hegemonic mindset that has always existed there.
They say that overtime is voluntary, but if you don't sign up for it you will be shunned and mistreated by management.
Everyone is sleeping with everyone and many employees also show up smelling of liquor. It's really unsettling. There are also never any vegan/vegetarian options at the mandatory staff BBQ's, which alienates some staff members into not participating, for which they are reprimanded.
Employees are also not allowed to pursue any type of social justice activities outside of work. You will be reprimanded
  more... if you are caught participating in activities such as human rights marches or protests, regardless of their message/purpose. You are not allowed to talk to the press for any reason, ever.
Employees who are non-white immigrants, or who possess tattoos and piercings, are not outwardly shunned, but are ridiculed and harassed by other staff members with no repercussion.
If you are hired as a permanent employee automatically, you will have your job for life and can do whatever you want. If you are unfortunate enough to be hired as a contract employee or temp, God help you. They will wait until your permanency status comes up and they will lay you off. If you are hired again, your previous years worked will not be counted toward your permanent status. They have kept term employees on in this manner for literally YEARS with no hope of them ever becoming permanent employees (this is somehow legal). However, you cannot argue with the pay rate or benefits package. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Canada's economy is garbage. What is a little white girl to do?
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Harassment from management, lazy coworkers, gossip, public drunkenness
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.