Canada Revenue Agency Employee Review

View all Canada Revenue Agency reviews

Mixed bag
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Prefer not to disclose1 December 2013
The CRA provides the most incredibly mixed bag of employment I've ever endured, and it's clear that several folks on here are more interested in keeping their job than being honest and/or are dangerously lacking perspective. Further, the four-star rating is entirely undeserved as the metrics employed by Indeed cannot accurately measure the reality of working for an incumbent government enterprise. Having quit with no intention to ever return, I can finally post my opinions without fear of reproach!

Work/life balance gets a 5 star rating exclusively, as this is the single redeeming quality of the CRA. People are treated like people! If only the agency would take it upon itself to use its position of power to force private employers to such a standard, Canada would be in a position to set the worldwide standard for employment in the future. I urge the agency to export its work culture lest it face redundancy in the age of the internet and alternative currencies.

The hearts of the individuals working at CRA are in the right place, but the level of job security and ability to get away with just about anything on the job eventually perverts even the most ethical of persons. Anyone who has managed to work out the social dynamics and become popular will stick around, but the rest move on. Many people work themselves out of the environment - either accidentally or intentionally - due to ethical reasons. Draw from that what you will.

Internally, this is incredibly well known. The government recently launched their own Facebook-esque site for employees, and the [initial] reviews
  more... being posted were - by and large - very upset at the culture. Organization blindness isn't to blame, and I look forward to a younger generation (who possess a globalized perspective) finding ways to revolutionize the agency.

It could be the absolute best place to work if the relaxed atmosphere and excellent pay scales were actively exported and thrust on the private sector. Unfortunately, the CRA has an insular culture that is more interested in preserving it's own image than it is concerned with setting a gold standard for employers to follow. CRA has the power and capacity to do the latter, and actively chooses not to. This is understandable as taxes need to be paid, but a compromise was certainly not in the cards during my employment - which I find to be abhorrent.

Problems abound, including but not limited to:
- individuals "double-dipping" (contracting on pension)
- very little actual work to do beyond simple service jobs
- government hiring quotas preventing advancement via merit
- decreased respect for FTEs while contractors gain traction
- excessive operation cost (given the agency is a glorified abacus)

Positive notes abound, including but not limited to:
- respect for individual needs
- diffused power structure (in comparison to corp. environments)
- limitless time in the day for team building
- focus on continuing education

I've written enough! In short, CRA needs to get over this nonsense of worrying about having a new manager ever 4 years and thrust the positive notes identified on to the private work place by creating financial incentives to do so, irrespective of who is leading the country.
Pros
Unlimited personal time
Cons
Lack of desire to export work culture

Other Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

An inclusive work environment
Efile Income Tax Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 December 2017
Canada Revenue Agency allowed me to balance life and work by working with my availability. I enjoyed mostly the opportunity I got to help people in my community file their taxes.
Excellent employer, no benefits with contract positions, also only work during tax season; little opportunity to advance from temporary contract work.
Tax Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2017
Excellent employer; no benefits with contract positions, also only work during tax season; little opportunity to advance from temporary contract work.
Pros
Supportive and non discriminatory working environment, excellent training
Cons
No benefits with temporary contracts, little opportunity to advance into permanent benefitted positions, Phoenix pay system issues