Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 2, 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Lots to learn every day
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 10, 2015
The job salary and benefits were great. There was constant change and that kept my on my feet.I really enjoyed learning new things everyday.There was however no job security.
Pros
Compressed Schedule
Cons
No job security
Stressful thankless job
Complex Assessment Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
Management only cases about quantity of work done not the quality of the work. Management plays favourites, letting some employees abuse their breaks while castrating others for being 5 minutes late coming back from break. Management will only support and develop the employees who share their same views.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
Great work environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 16, 2015
Good fast place working conditions, constant areas in which to grow and learn. Compensation was fair. Good employee appreciation.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Term position
Good
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 19, 2015
CRA is a ged place to work and get experience in the IT field. My job was casual job and I got experience in web developing using xml, DB2.
Pros
good place to start my career.
Cons
low salary because it was student job.
Great Place to Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 24, 2015
Excellent Leaders, Excellent Co-Workers, Lots of Learning required, great hours, interesting work, good benefits,
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not decent management
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 5, 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Opportunity for me to give back to the community
Tax Filing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Canada Revenue Agency as a CVITP for the past 3 months. My office was allocated in Burnaby community Services (2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, BC). I was responsible to prepared income tax returns and benefits for low-income people. I got a chance to make lot of connections and was able to apply the skills and knowledge I learn from BCIT to give back to the community. My mentor from Burnaby Community Service had given me lots of useful instructions and I'm grateful to have her as my supervisor.
Pros
Free luches, opportunities to meet new clients
CRA pay is good at entry-level but not so good for experienced professionals
Income Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCJuly 11, 2016
Too many term employees. No advantage for those that have professional designation.
This is in comparism to the other employers' that emphasize the attainment of a professional designation as a necessary condition for some jobs.
The pay at entry level is good but low for experienced professionals when compared to the private sector and even the provincial and municipal government jobs.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Most jobs are on contract basis
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2016
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
Pros
Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons
Had to be a student to keep the job
Great job to get your foot in the door
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
The CRA is a very tough work environment. It is very hectic and regulating so the demands of the work itself does not make it easy to make accommodation for work/life balance. Nevertheless the employer does everything it can to help out.

Be prepared to be extremely busy and kept on your feet unlike any job you've had before.

Although it is a very stressful job, the people are very nice and helpful. The Agency gives you wonderful tools to do your job.
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2015
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Already mentioned
Cons
Contract was not renewed
Experiences with the CRA
Mail room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
CRA is a very beneficial job source. The hours given for work is a sensible amount of time and the salary is very beneficial too. All workers are very friendly so it is easy to solve any problems quickly. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that we are not told when we will get a lay- off until the last minute. Something I enjoyed when i work with CRA is the respect within every employee. I learned how to solves conflicts when they come up and I learned how to collaborate and work as a team.
Pros
friendly employees, salary
Cons
term positions
Good location to learn and get started in the IT field.
Programmer Analyst/Developer (CS2) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
The work was great, plenty of co-workers in the team to manage the workload and complete the work on time. Co-workers overall knowledge of the computers was slim but knowledge of the system in place was plenty. Management was fine at best but lots of room to improve. People had a bad tendency of spending lots of time talking about other co-workers and other information that was not relevant to work. Leave most of the work to be completed by a few selected individual.
Pros
Great learning experience and flexible schedule.
Cons
Lack of team work and cooperation with a touch of knowledge.
C.R.A> was a challenging and rewarding employer
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 23, 2015
C.R.A. was a very good place to work. There was never any fear of being laid off. There was adequate opportunities for advancement and diversification. For example, I could have decided to go into full time instruction . There were several different departments and they were open to all employees. The most difficult aspect of the job was the possibility of confrontation out on the road from clients that were being audited. Sometimes this could be problematic.
Good career with CRA
Excise Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton and VancouverMarch 25, 2015
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was a good place to work, while the salary was okay the benefits were good.
CRA promotes teamwork and working with others. Learned Microsoft products such as word, excel and outlook.
Was responsible for planning my own workflow. Team Leader would assign cases and I was responsible for planning when to do the work, contacting the client, work out a plan for completing the assigned files. Advise my team leader on progress and any issues with the audits. I enjoyed taking out co-workers and training the less experienced workers on how to do the job.
The most important thing I learned working at CRA is teamwork and communication.
Pros
Constant learning. Travelling around British Columbia
Cons
Travelling away from the family.
Busy quite steadily
Cashier/ General Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Accepted tax payments from individuals and companies . Data entered payment, offered receipts . Tallied day end payments , with appropriate paperwork. Assisted customers with basic information about taxes, referred to telephone operator when needed.
Pros
Working with variety
Cons
not being able to balance at end of day.
Great place to work!
Information technology infrastructure analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 6, 2016
Friendly staff, good benefits, positive work environment. If you want a Monday to Friday that doesn't follow you home this is the place for you!
Pros
Good staff, No shift work, low stress
Cons
Have to work within specific parameters at all times, which can make work take longer sometimes

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location