Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

federal government agency
Trust Accounts Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto28 April 2017
good place to work overall
good benefits and great flexibility
however, contract positions, therefore, uncertainty in contract renewals and permanent status
Pros
benefits, flexibility
Cons
contracts
Lot of travel
Auditor Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 April 2017
The job required to travel to clients home and business locations.
Was able to see amazing locations, while working.
Get team of people to work with.
n/a
Student/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 April 2017
- Open your computer and start working on your workload with consistency and efficiency
- Learned to corroborate with or resort to coworkers and work out viable solutions to solve problems
A great workplace to develop teamwork skills
GST/HST Compliance Officer, Toronto East (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 April 2017
A typical day at work entails contacting non compliant tax payers through telephone calls or letters. Once contact is established I was required to help the tax payers file GST/HST returns by providing them information and paperwork. Tax payers are given deadlines and if the tax payer fails to file by the deadline assessments are raised by me through use of CRA software. I have learned effective situational judgement skills, customer service skills, and the use of software such as Microsoft office, excel, outlook and more, The management is very helpful and encouraging. They focus greatly on teamwork and emphasising team performance and production. The workplace culture is very friendly with everyone very open and outgoing. The hardest part of the job was taking days off as the work piles up and is hard to catch up with missed work. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work culture.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Temporary Contract
Great work life balance
Office Learning Manager/Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 April 2017
Great work life balance and support from management and team. Structured job advancement and opportunities if you are willing to relocate to a bigger tax services office.
Secure 8-5 office day job with decent pay
Estates & Trusts Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
I worked for the Canada Revenue Agency as a summer student. Overall this job was a pleasant experience. I enjoyed working on the team that I was on and the job paid quite well compared to most other summer student level jobs. My only complaint is that the the work was tedious.
Pros
Monday-Friday daytime, evenings and weekends off. Downtown office environment; lots of fun during Calgary Stampede week.
Cons
Tedious work with little variety
Fun place to work,
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 April 2017
Then normal day consisted of talking to customer in regards to GST credit or CTB, the work environment and culture is very interesting and fun to work in.
Great place to work, with great managers
Administration Clerk / Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2017
Wonderful trainers in each department, willing to train you in any area of difficulty.
Room for transfers, and advancement for those who want it.
Great salary and benefits.
State of the art security.
Quite and comfortable atmosphere.
Productive and friendly work environment
Programmer / Analyst (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2017
Productive and friendly work environment. Liked having private cubicles. Work was satisfying, hours were good. Some of the software was really old and outdated.
Great work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2017
Great company culture, fun colleague. I really enjoy to be volunteer for community, I use my PC skills to help people with simple tax situation, they really appreciate my help.
Pros
Great company culture, fun colleague
A good place to work
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 April 2017
Some really great people to work with, comfortable salary and benefit plans, term contracts, however it is difficult to become a permanent employee and parking can be an issue. Overall a good place to work.
Great place
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2017
Focus on the tasks at hand from start to finish. Collaborative environment. Assistance with administrative tasks or the job itself is always a hand reach away.
Serious work but good environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2017
Work independently but don't go overboard or without your manager's say. Take responsibility and expect nothing in return because your a big boy now..
This was chosen career. The work was very interesting and satisfying. Promotions were available to me when I was ready. I learned a lot .
Trust Accountant for trust exam and payroll (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
I was employed with CRA most of my life . 35 years . I started as a file officer and worked my way up to trust auditor . The work was very rewarding. I learned how to manage my work and people.
I learned how to communicate with taxpayers by phone , correspondence and in person. I learned how to defuse a high volitile situation if one occurred. I am very easy to get along with,and worked with some very special people some of whose are and will always be my friends
Pros
It was a very informative job with a ver good salary
Cons
No cons
Average
Senior Technical Application Officer (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC29 March 2017
I am no longer challenged working for this organization. I feel I am not being used to my potential. I have enhanced my tax knowledge in the last twelve years and I am now ready for change.
Horible Experience
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 March 2017
A temporary data entry job entering T4 information using an outdated system, total emphasis focused on high keying abilities at the cost of accuracy. Supervisors were out of touch regarding the temporary basis of the position, informing us of positions no one was qualified for and ignored people who were disruptive, choosing to make a scene instead of resolving it quietly. There was a total lack of accountability to whom they hired to screen out potential problem makers.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Entry level position, working with imature people
Nice laid back environment
Electronic Data Capture Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2017
Good staff and management. However little advancement and tedious work. Fulfilling work since you are in charge of entering and reviewing tax returns for the public.
good place to work
General Duty Clerk, Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON16 March 2017
Great job for the hrs and pay. I worked in different departments, therefor I learnt alot. The hardest part of the job was losing my job from governement cut backs. I enjoyed being part of team and working hard at keeping production.
Benefits
Cons
lost my job due to cut backs
Productive and great work environment
Data Entry Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 March 2017
I was responsible for the data entry of Customs document, this was a challenging and learning process of Customs principles and procedures which required accuracy and great attention to detail.
Pros
Great management
Informative
Assessment Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey7 March 2017
Rigorous training process along with supportive learning environment with flexibility in pace. Team environment and hierarchy to go by but great opportunities for advancement and further education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Revenue Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2