Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Good work when available
Testing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2016
The CRA is a decent place to work when the national employment environment is favourable. Good benefits / life balance and work hours.

Co-workers were fine and as in any workplace environment there were some favourable and some not-so favourable individuals.

A typical day was either 7-3, 8-4 or 9-5, Monday to Friday.

The most difficult aspects of the line of work was the learning curve relating to understanding systems, policies and procedures and overall Income Tax aspects.
Pros
Good salary, paid leave, flexible hours
Cons
Contract work, no long-term employment security
high productivity , strict daily routines
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
You would be at your desk taking incoming calls non stop until you designated break and lunch time. If you needed other breaks the had to go through a main area to keep track of incoming calls (so they didn't get missed) It was a very high spirited place to work. High energy and fun. Employees were happy and proud in general. Provided high end tools for the job, top of the line computers etc. Hardest part was collecting from those who really didn't have the money do to recession but did owe.
Pros
quality enviroment high energy
Cons
tough collecting debts
Review of the CRA
Validation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 October 2016
Being employed by the Canada Revenue Agency, for 15 years, has provided me with a wealth of knowledge. I was taught outstanding customer service skills, the ability of being both accurate and efficient.

Knowledge of the income tax act and learning to adapt effectively to monthly and yearly changes within a fast paced environment. I`ve learned to successfuly work in a team environment or indivdually.

The position was extremely stressful at times, as expected rates were often unattainable and unrealistic. Seniority is not considered when working towards advancing. The atmosphere is very competitive as each employee must maintain expected, weekly, rates in order to remain employed.
Pros
Good Wages
Cons
Highly Stressful
Fast paced work environment
Benefits Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE6 December 2016
I did enjoy my work experience for the Canada Revenue Agency. The salary, medical benefits, and vacation pay was great. The staff, and management were very nice. The only thing I did not like about the Canada Revenue Agency was the job security. Programs, and budgets for those programs, were always being cut and therefore; you never know/knew when you would be called back for another contract.
Friendly & Helpful environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2016
Working at the Canada Revenue Agency provided much needed experience in regards to different tax rules and regulations. It also provided a learning experience in terms of dealing with various types of people and working in a heavy workload environment.
Pros
flexible timings, friendly environment
Cons
Heavy workload, tiring
Good work when you can get it
Testing Analyst - Acceptance Testing Division (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2016
8-4 or 9-5 workday. Desk job.

See Resume for skills learned.

Management both decent and not so decent. All are tied by bureaucratic rules.

Co-workers were both decent and not so decent. Some worked hard, others not so much.

Hardest part of job was lack of technical direction, contract nature of work, management shuffles.

Good hours and decent benefits.
Pros
Good working hours, benefits
Cons
Contract work, lack of mobility or permanency
CRA pay is good at entry-level but not so good for experienced professionals
Income Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 July 2016
Too many term employees. No advantage for those that have professional designation.
This is in comparism to the other employers' that emphasize the attainment of a professional designation as a necessary condition for some jobs.
The pay at entry level is good but low for experienced professionals when compared to the private sector and even the provincial and municipal government jobs.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Most jobs are on contract basis
Great Opportunity for Growth and Work-Life Balance
Employer Accounts Agent (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
Many resources to help you out throughout whatever program you may be taking. Culture is diversified. Great pay rate and ability to schedule your own work hours.
Pros
Resources, training, salary
Cons
Contract work with not many permanent opportunities
Great job to get your foot in the door
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2016
The CRA is a very tough work environment. It is very hectic and regulating so the demands of the work itself does not make it easy to make accommodation for work/life balance. Nevertheless the employer does everything it can to help out.

Be prepared to be extremely busy and kept on your feet unlike any job you've had before.

Although it is a very stressful job, the people are very nice and helpful. The Agency gives you wonderful tools to do your job.
Opportunity for me to give back to the community
Tax Filing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 May 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Canada Revenue Agency as a CVITP for the past 3 months. My office was allocated in Burnaby community Services (2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, BC). I was responsible to prepared income tax returns and benefits for low-income people. I got a chance to make lot of connections and was able to apply the skills and knowledge I learn from BCIT to give back to the community. My mentor from Burnaby Community Service had given me lots of useful instructions and I'm grateful to have her as my supervisor.
Pros
Free luches, opportunities to meet new clients
Very nice workplace
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB6 September 2016
I enjoy working with all my peers and look forward to spending my career with the Canada Revenue Agency.

I work on the phones taking inbound calls from taxpayers.
I deal with a lot of accounting information.
I love management here.
Fun place to work at
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Montreal, quebec19 October 2016
Great downtown offices Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.
A very cushy government job
Data Capture Operator (3 month contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
Flexible schedule and it pays very well. The only problem I had with this organization is that the work itself was very boring. Very tedious and not very challenging.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL29 August 2016
8.5 hour days
worked on computer
checked accounts
management is good to work with
had your own personal working spaces
had your project to do so you knew what work was yours
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
working in cubicles
Very stimulating challenges, right up my alley
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Shawinigan-sud, QC10 June 2016
This job was a natural step for the advancement of my career.
The challenge was to establish a brand new taxation center. The progression was from 0 employees to 1,500 employees in three years. I was part of the senior management group.
Pros
Lots of challenges
Cons
No cons
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2016
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not decent management
It was interesting experience
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
interesting experience helping students to files taxes. Good experience for a person that wants to learn tax software. Opportunity to meets a lot of different people.
Productive and growing environment.
Income Tax Preparer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 August 2016
Got to meet many new people and the return were tricker than i was hoping, but co-volunteers were really helpful. The co-ordinators were understanding and considerate.
Busy quite steadily
Cashier/ General Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Accepted tax payments from individuals and companies . Data entered payment, offered receipts . Tallied day end payments , with appropriate paperwork. Assisted customers with basic information about taxes, referred to telephone operator when needed.
Pros
Working with variety
Cons
not being able to balance at end of day.
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 April 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours

Canada Revenue Agency Reviews by Location