Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Lots to learn every day
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Compressed Schedule
Cons: No job security
The job salary and benefits were great. There was constant change and that kept my on my feet.I really enjoyed learning new things everyday.There was however no job security.
Good location to learn and get started in the IT field.
Programmer Analyst/Developer (CS2) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: Great learning experience and flexible schedule.
Cons: Lack of team work and cooperation with a touch of knowledge.
The work was great, plenty of co-workers in the team to manage the workload and complete the work on time. Co-workers overall knowledge of the computers was slim but knowledge of the system in place was plenty. Management was fine at best but lots of room to improve. People had a bad tendency of spending lots of time talking about other co-workers and other information that was not relevant to work. Leave most of the work to be completed by a few selected individual.
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 5, 2016
Pros: Flexible Hours
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Stressful thankless job
Complex Assessment Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Good benefits and salary
Cons: Bad management
Management only cases about quantity of work done not the quality of the work. Management plays favourites, letting some employees abuse their breaks while castrating others for being 5 minutes late coming back from break. Management will only support and develop the employees who share their same views.
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons: Had to be a student to keep the job
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
C.R.A> was a challenging and rewarding employer
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 23, 2015
C.R.A. was a very good place to work. There was never any fear of being laid off. There was adequate opportunities for advancement and diversification. For example, I could have decided to go into full time instruction . There were several different departments and they were open to all employees. The most difficult aspect of the job was the possibility of confrontation out on the road from clients that were being audited. Sometimes this could be problematic.
A good place to work, with great benefits, flex times, and appropriate vacation time off.
Assessment, Accounts, Benefits, Processing Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioOctober 7, 2015
I dealt mostly on the telephone and periodically at the counter addressing client inquiries regarding taxes.

I learned and practiced listening skills and how to source information to satisfy customers needs.

Management here is somewhat political and based more on passing tests than having actual management skills in my opinion.

Co-workers were very helpful to me and I was able to do the same as a result of the ongoing training provided.

The hardest part of this job was satisfying the strict time frames allowed to process inquiries from customers to thoroughly complete the task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was in meeting people both professionals and the general public and resolving some intricate problems to their satisfaction.
was an exciting experience
Community volunteer income tax program (Former Employee), Hamilton, canadaNovember 22, 2015
a typical day at work was quite busy because of different clients trying to file their taxes. i learned how to file tax and use the software which was an amazing experience for me because its outside my area of study. the management and co-workers helped create a positive environment due to their commitment to team work. the hardest part sometimes was the software because it was complex and enjoyable part is basically the new work experience.
co-workers
Project Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2015
Pros: Manage projects independently and report directly to the senior management
Fun to work with work/life balance. Management trust with integrity and professionalism. Enjoy working with respect and cooperation from each other.
Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCNovember 2, 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Good
Web Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: good place to start my career.
Cons: low salary because it was student job.
CRA is a ged place to work and get experience in the IT field. My job was casual job and I got experience in web developing using xml, DB2.
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Pros: Decent pay
Cons: not decent management
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Team-work
IT Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Kudos
Cons: no cash bonus
CRA is an amazing place to work in terms of team working. The teamwork environment that I have seen it unbelievable. From Management to co-workers they help you as you need.
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.
It's a decent place to work
Debt Management Call Centre Agent (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Already mentioned
Cons: Contract was not renewed
People were friendly, the pay and benefits were pretty good and there was a very good work/life balance. I would accept another position within CRA if the opportunity presented itself.
Productive and Fun work place.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
This is a great place to start your career. The management helps you achieve your goals. Decent amount of hours during non tax season.
p
Returns Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2016
The CRA is a great and reliable company to work for. Great management and communication. Everyone should work for the CRA.
Wonderful security
APPEALS CLERK/LITIGATION CLERK (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Salary and benefits
Cons: Micromanaged
My time working withe the Canada Revenue Agency has been pretty wonderful for the most part. The salary is pretty great, especially if you don't live in a metropolitan city with expensive rent/board.
The majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful when it comes to learning new processes and procedures.
I feel as though I've gotten as far as I want to go with the agency, and it's time to branch out and learn something new.
Great people and support
Minor Balance Administrator (Former Employee), Penticton, BCOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Learning and development
Cons: short term contract
I advised tax clientele on their overdue tax accounts
Management was supportive and positive
The hardest part of my job was garnishing someone's wages
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to set up a payment schedule with a client and they came through and got their tax account paid off
Great work environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Surrey, BCNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Good compensation
Cons: Term position
Good fast place working conditions, constant areas in which to grow and learn. Compensation was fair. Good employee appreciation.