Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Example of Work Life Balance in a Stressful Environment
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2014
Pros: on the job activities during work hours are excellent; 24-hour access to professional services.
Cons: no job security: employment contract-based.
Excellent example of an employer dealing with work life balance. A call centre is a very stressful environment and the CRA provides all kinds of activities to break up the monotony and stresses of the job: some are off-the-wall but fun. There is also 24-hour access to all kinds of professional advice.The diversity in the workplace makes for an interesting – more... and enjoyable work environment. – less
Excellent place to work
Income Tax Represenataive (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 25, 2014
The work day starts form 9:00 am to 5pm. I love the environment. People are very friendly and always willing to help on matters that you are not aware of ,for example, new implement tax policies. Moreover, i got the opportunity to learn and use new tax soft-wares, how to deal with more technical tax issues such as, RRSP, and Business Income.The hardest – more... part of the job is how attention to detail you have to be over long periods of time ,but meeting new people was very rewarding which made my stay there very enjoyable! – less
Productive and nice place to work.
Acting Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2014
Nice place to work with advancement including training needs.
Seasonal work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Clearly defined duties.
Help available if needed.
Positive work environment
Biased work environment
Senior Public Affairs Advisor (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: i met some individuals who were professional and had good self estime.
Cons: racial bias and poor management
My managers were a disaster: they played favourites among the staff and prevented me from having adequate contact with clients. In one case they plotted my failure in a specific assignment, but the plot backfired when the client instructed my manager and the one who participated in the plot to modify their work to match the quality of mine.

Although – more... I raised my complaints in writing to management, the latter ignored me utterly; yet when a colleague reported something overheard--admitting that my comment was addressed to no one and that there was no context--management brought me in for questioning regarding a matter I was completely unaware of.

Unable to answer my grievances, the agency's management found a way to "silence" me.

A typical work day: reporting to my boss in the presence of my colleagues that I was available to take on more work and being overtly and embarrassingly ignored in front of my peers. Carrying out make-work projects and even being "assigned" work by a summer student, although I was at the highest administrative level, just below management. I alone in the Agency had to produce a daily report of the tasks I performed....every day!

The racism in CRA management was kept hidden from others but was effective in undermining my career and poisoning my experience in the Public Service.

My most enjoyable experience was serving clients.

I didn't believe the nightmare of bias that was present in Canada's Public Service...until I lived it! I mention all of this only because you asked. – less
Fun workplace and great team members
Client Services Agent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: great hours and very flexible when asking for holidays.
Cons: stressful at times
Help clients with tax questions and every day I learned something new. Always had fun at work which relieved the stress and team leader was always very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry clients and we still had to be very professional.
Nothing bad to say, great place to work
Student employee (Former Employee), Summerside, PEJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: good hours good money
Cons: sometimes hard to get benefits.
Was a great place to work, Co workers were fine and so was management. Job security for some was lacking but you would be given at least appropriate dates. Sometimes they will keep someone on full time but keep them on contract so they do not have to give benefits.
Working at CRA
INCOME TAX AUDITOR (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and excellent work-life balance
There are no typical days with CRA as your work can be as varied as your clients. While many audits have similar steps, every business is unique and as a result employees must be able to adapt techniques used to review issues with previous taxpayers to the unique circumstances of the current audit.

The in-depth exposure to hundreds of businesses provides – more... an experience-based education second to none. Working closely with business owners during an audit provides many opportunities to learn exactly how business are run. In addition to experience-based learning, the Agency also provides extensive internal training as well as some higher level professional development courses. I would say that my formal education gave me an excellent toolbox to work from but my experiences with CRA are where I truly learned about accounting, auditing, and tax. – less
Office was in a good location
Auditor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: good health benefits
Cons: advancement was very limited.
Organization is a branch of the Federal Government. Procedures
are not always efficient and effective. Work environment is that of a government office.
Productive and easy going
Child Tax Benefits (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 12, 2014
Fast-paced work environment that requires you to reach daily production goals. Accuracy is key. Laid back atmosphere and casual dress code.
great place to work
Collection Agent (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCDecember 10, 2013
Pros: working independently
Cons: long hours on the phone collecting
Loved working downtown Montreal
Job security
Great co-workers, very friendly and warm
Mixed bag
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee), Prefer not to discloseDecember 1, 2013
Pros: unlimited personal time
Cons: lack of desire to export work culture
The CRA provides the most incredibly mixed bag of employment I've ever endured, and it's clear that several folks on here are more interested in keeping their job than being honest and/or are dangerously lacking perspective. Further, the four-star rating is entirely undeserved as the metrics employed by Indeed cannot accurately measure the reality of – more... working for an incumbent government enterprise. Having quit with no intention to ever return, I can finally post my opinions without fear of reproach!

Work/life balance gets a 5 star rating exclusively, as this is the single redeeming quality of the CRA. People are treated like people! If only the agency would take it upon itself to use its position of power to force private employers to such a standard, Canada would be in a position to set the worldwide standard for employment in the future. I urge the agency to export its work culture lest it face redundancy in the age of the internet and alternative currencies.

The hearts of the individuals working at CRA are in the right place, but the level of job security and ability to get away with just about anything on the job eventually perverts even the most ethical of persons. Anyone who has managed to work out the social dynamics and become popular will stick around, but the rest move on. Many people work themselves out of the environment - either accidentally or intentionally - due to ethical reasons. Draw from that what you will.

Internally, this is incredibly well known. The government recently launched their own Facebook-esque site for employees, and the [initial] reviews being posted were - by and large - very upset at the culture. Organization blindness isn't to blame, and I look forward to a younger generation (who possess a globalized perspective) finding ways to revolutionize the agency.

It could be the absolute best place to work if the relaxed atmosphere and excellent pay scales were actively exported and thrust on the private sector. Unfortunately, the CRA has an insular culture that is more interested in preserving it's own image than it is concerned with setting a gold standard for employers to follow. CRA has the power and capacity to do the latter, and actively chooses not to. This is understandable as taxes need to be paid, but a compromise was certainly not in the cards during my employment - which I find to be abhorrent.

Problems abound, including but not limited to:
- individuals "double-dipping" (contracting on pension)
- very little actual work to do beyond simple service jobs
- government hiring quotas preventing advancement via merit
- decreased respect for FTEs while contractors gain traction
- excessive operation cost (given the agency is a glorified abacus)

Positive notes abound, including but not limited to:
- respect for individual needs
- diffused power structure (in comparison to corp. environments)
- limitless time in the day for team building
- focus on continuing education

I've written enough! In short, CRA needs to get over this nonsense of worrying about having a new manager ever 4 years and thrust the positive notes identified on to the private work place by creating financial incentives to do so, irrespective of who is leading the country. – less
Productive and a fun place
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Pros: compressed schedule
A typical day in this organization is all about multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment to manage time and deadlines, managing team referrals, facilitating, coaching and creating month-end metrics. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of meeting dead lines. Management is very supportive and coworkers are great.
Great Place
Error Inspection Control Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2013
Great place to work on a temp basis. Great people work there.
must meet their requirements/accuracy
Information Return Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: some times o/t
Good management, good co-workers,learned lot about the people's tax return.
Fantastic place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 14, 2013
You have many resources to consult when learning new workflows, management is available for any and all concerns, benefits are fantastic! The hardest part of the job is learning to multitask, but once you get the hang of it, you really can go far! I would love any opportunity to work there again!
Interesting place to work
Taxpayer Service Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2013
Answering telephone inquiries of individual taxpayer.
Learned to be extra patient in dealing with senior taxpayer
Call Site
Tax Payer Services Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2013
Stressful environment. Most taxpayers hate paying taxes and thus it is a challenge to make them understand the rules and regulations and the obligation towards the Canadian society.

Co-workers are the excellent as there is a huge culture of team work.
A typical day
Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: meet lots of new people, helping people
Cons: none i can think of
I would meet with people that had made appointments with me and take their information and prepare and file their income tax returns.
Enjoy customer service and preparing tax returns
Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCOctober 30, 2013
Skilled and experienced in preparing wide variety of tax returns.

1 2 3 4 5