Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Typical Government atmosphere
Team Leader and Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 August 2017
The environment was not great to work in. Everything was based on promoting competition between co-workers and this brings out the worst side of people.
Pros
Good perks as far as schedule
Professional place to work with
Assessment Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 August 2017
I was quite enjoy work at CRA. It was not only provide a lots of professional training, but also had a very friendly multicultural work environment. I learned a lots from it.
Nice place to work but you will be on contract forever
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  655 Bay Street16 August 2017
As a Taxpayer Services Agent expect to spend your whole day on the phone, it is a call centre after all. Constant calls but not as many angry taxpayers as you would think. It can be monotonous depending on what day and what line of business you are on. Managers don't really do much from what I could tell, resource officers are the main go to for questions.
Most people in the call centre eventually want to move on to other sections (Audit, Collections, etc.) and the bitterness is evident when they get passed over.
After 5 consecutive years of service you become permanent but good luck getting those 5 consecutive years!
Toronto call centre will close in September 2017 so this job will no longer exist in Toronto. Toronto has become to expensive for the CRA to operate in apparently.
Pros
Easy job, Monday to Friday 9-5, ample overtime during tax season.
Cons
Can be monotonous.
Okay but slow progress
Administration & Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2017
- No growth/advancement for both the employee and the company
- 90% of the suggestions and recommendation for growth or efficiency will get rejected because of the strict rules in the government
Pros
Stability
Cons
Slow, No growth
productive and fun place to work.
Program Mail Processing Clerk (term position) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2017
Enjoyed the type of work I was doing all office work with T1's and T4's processing for onward departments. Liked the atmosphere, the salary and the office work.
Hard to get in Easy to get out
BE agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2017
It's great working at the CRA but if you are a term employee it's not that secure. The staff and management is great! Benefits and pay are good too. Love working here.
Pros
Flexible hours
Its alright
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto1 August 2017
Great work life balance. Great pay. Easy job. Sufficient training but you do most of your learning on the job. Incompetent management. Lack of upward movement without an Accounting designation.
best place to work for in Canada
SP-04 Taxpayers Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
Very regimented and worker friendly environment with lots of support from all levels of management. Good pay, benefits and job satisfaction. Work stays at work and can't bring it home with you.
Pros
support, training, team environment
Cons
not much at all
great
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton23 July 2017
It is a wonderful respectful place to work. Couldn't ask for a better job and better management. Colleagues are great and look forward to going to work!
Terrible place to work for creative ppl
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2017
I worked there for 9 years. I worked in audit of small business and then I went to appeals where I worked as an appeals officer. I then worked for appeals headquarters in which I saw way too much. Then back I went to audit in the tax avoicdance section and again saw too much.
Pros
Everything comes from above
Cons
They think change is always the answer
Good pay for job
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
The salary is very good considering what the tasks are. Benefits are horrible though. Lots of paid time off which is a bonus but don't count on the insurance to get anything additional.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Insurance
Canada Revenue Agency dept Special Investigations Unit
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 July 2017
Fresh out of high school - administrative position, what an eye opener.

S.I. handle criminal fraud. A group of 10 or 12 investigators we handled the typing of all their reports which were written by hand and sent to typing office.

SI department worked with the RCMP and raided small and large businesses including enterprises such as brothels. Their coordination, planning was truly an interesting experience.
Pros
Great starting job
Cons
Wages were lower than industry standard
Experience
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
It will ultimately depend on the department in which you are .
Experiences are different depending on area of work, supervisors and peers obviously. Job can be taxing at times.
Great work life balance
Client Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 July 2017
Great place to work! Employers seem to care about work life balance. Ability to job shadow and employees are encouraged to pursue new career paths. Can be stressful at times.
Worked more than 10 years
General Duly Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2017
General Clerk Duties. I was laid off because our section was moved out of Ottawa.

I worked in different section and locations from 2005.

I enjoyed my work in Revenue Canada.
Good Life Job but not meaningful
Assessment Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2017
They pay very well, have good benefits, very flexible and everyone is nice. However, almost every area within the CRA feels like meaningless data entry or call centre type jobs.

It is good for a while if you like rotine. If you like meaningful work that you feel proud of, then it is not the place. You dont use creativity.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Meaningless work. No creativity use.
poor management
Taxpayer Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2017
I did not enjoy being micro managed. No one seemed to enjoy there job. Not a positive experience overall. I felt I was being looked down upon and when ever a request was asked it was dismissed.
Great
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2017
The work is good and staff is great. I like people and the different customers I got to speak with. No one call was alike and it requires you to be open.
Worse work environment of my life
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 June 2017
This is the worse work environment I have ever experienced in my entire life. Most team leaders are incompetent. The environment is constantly plagued with favouritism and psychological harassments. Believe me, even the internal recruitment process is biased, with some over-connected employees getting the subject before the exam date. What is happening in this office is a shame to the Federal Public Service. I do hope that in other regions, things are better.
Cons
Psychological harassments, favouritism
Great Group of People woring there
Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON28 June 2017
I enjoyed Working there it was a great team environment. Team Leaders and Technical advisors were always willing to help . Work Flow was well explained . Was only Contract to contract
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Parking issues