Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Great job to get your foot in the door
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
The CRA is a very tough work environment. It is very hectic and regulating so the demands of the work itself does not make it easy to make accommodation for work/life balance. Nevertheless the employer does everything it can to help out.

Be prepared to be extremely busy and kept on your feet unlike any job you've had before.

Although it is a very stressful job, the people are very nice and helpful. The Agency gives you wonderful tools to do your job.
Good Workplace
Senior Large File Tax Auditor (AU-04) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 19, 2016
Great work life balance and competitive pay. Great people and excellent benefits. Pace of work is slower than in private practice.
Positive work environment
Junior Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2016
Colleagues are very fun and supportive. Management is very supportive and always offering new opportunities to grow and learn new skills.
Relaxed environment/ Great Learning oppourtunities
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2016
-New learning material each day
-Spoke with new clients on a daily basis
-Analyzed and resolved different issues
-Resourceful Co-workers
Pros
Great hours-lots to learn
Cons
Shortened contract work- lacked proper management
Opportunity for me to give back to the community
Tax Filing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Canada Revenue Agency as a CVITP for the past 3 months. My office was allocated in Burnaby community Services (2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, BC). I was responsible to prepared income tax returns and benefits for low-income people. I got a chance to make lot of connections and was able to apply the skills and knowledge I learn from BCIT to give back to the community. My mentor from Burnaby Community Service had given me lots of useful instructions and I'm grateful to have her as my supervisor.
Pros
Free luches, opportunities to meet new clients
Great place to work!
Information technology infrastructure analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 6, 2016
Friendly staff, good benefits, positive work environment. If you want a Monday to Friday that doesn't follow you home this is the place for you!
Pros
Good staff, No shift work, low stress
Cons
Have to work within specific parameters at all times, which can make work take longer sometimes
Busy quite steadily
Cashier/ General Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Accepted tax payments from individuals and companies . Data entered payment, offered receipts . Tallied day end payments , with appropriate paperwork. Assisted customers with basic information about taxes, referred to telephone operator when needed.
Pros
Working with variety
Cons
not being able to balance at end of day.
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not decent management
Fast paced environment
Taxpayer Service Agent (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 25, 2016
Very intense working environment. This job requires high efficiency and accuracy, but the supervisors are very helpful.
Just started as a consultant
(CRA) - IT ANALYST (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 13, 2016
Just started this role as a consultant through agency. It's a bit unfair to judge the employer from an outside perspective.
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 5, 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours
p
Returns Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2016
The CRA is a great and reliable company to work for. Great management and communication. Everyone should work for the CRA.
It was a fun place to work with many opportunities to learn
Interior Design Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2016
It was a great place to work and the employees were very helpful with providing new tips with programs and advice. I was able to experience new programs and have a different understanding of the design field.
company gym
Payment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 13, 2016
work is not too bad lots of different stuff to do so you dont get bored, high pay, and they got a gym for people that need to get a lift in.
Pros
pay, contract work
Cons
sensitive information = no phones ever
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2016
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
Pros
Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons
Had to be a student to keep the job
Pretty good working environmnet and would love to work there again
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 3, 2016
I was working as consultant for 9 month with Shared Services Canada and one of the client we work with is Canada Revenue Agency.

Nice working environment and people are very friendly, would love to work with them again
Productive and interesting
SP1 Term Contract Position (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I found it an extremely positive atmosphere to work in compared to the private industry job that I came from.

We worked in teams and the group I got along very well and made it a pleasure to go to work everyday.
Review accounting records of clients
Field Examiner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Review and audit the books and records of clients to ensure compliance with income tax regulations. Discuss tax issues with manager, clients and their representatives, research tax legislation and prepare working papers, audit reports and correspondence.
Pros
Flexibility
Great place to work for different fields
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Great place to work for different fields of work. The main reason I left was to pursue a complete career change. I would recommend the CRA for those who are interested in tax.
Team-work
IT Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 19, 2016
CRA is an amazing place to work in terms of team working. The teamwork environment that I have seen it unbelievable. From Management to co-workers they help you as you need.
Pros
Kudos
Cons
no cash bonus