Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

great
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton23 July 2017
It is a wonderful respectful place to work. Couldn't ask for a better job and better management. Colleagues are great and look forward to going to work!
Terrible place to work for creative ppl
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2017
I worked there for 9 years. I worked in audit of small business and then I went to appeals where I worked as an appeals officer. I then worked for appeals headquarters in which I saw way too much. Then back I went to audit in the tax avoicdance section and again saw too much.
Pros
Everything comes from above
Cons
They think change is always the answer
Good pay for job
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
The salary is very good considering what the tasks are. Benefits are horrible though. Lots of paid time off which is a bonus but don't count on the insurance to get anything additional.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Insurance
Canada Revenue Agency dept Special Investigations Unit
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 July 2017
Fresh out of high school - administrative position, what an eye opener.

S.I. handle criminal fraud. A group of 10 or 12 investigators we handled the typing of all their reports which were written by hand and sent to typing office.

SI department worked with the RCMP and raided small and large businesses including enterprises such as brothels. Their coordination, planning was truly an interesting experience.
Pros
Great starting job
Cons
Wages were lower than industry standard
Experience
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
It will ultimately depend on the department in which you are .
Experiences are different depending on area of work, supervisors and peers obviously. Job can be taxing at times.
Great work life balance
Client Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 July 2017
Great place to work! Employers seem to care about work life balance. Ability to job shadow and employees are encouraged to pursue new career paths. Can be stressful at times.
Worked more than 10 years
General Duly Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2017
General Clerk Duties. I was laid off because our section was moved out of Ottawa.

I worked in different section and locations from 2005.

I enjoyed my work in Revenue Canada.
Good Life Job but not meaningful
Assessment Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2017
They pay very well, have good benefits, very flexible and everyone is nice. However, almost every area within the CRA feels like meaningless data entry or call centre type jobs.

It is good for a while if you like rotine. If you like meaningful work that you feel proud of, then it is not the place. You dont use creativity.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Meaningless work. No creativity use.
poor management
Taxpayer Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2017
I did not enjoy being micro managed. No one seemed to enjoy there job. Not a positive experience overall. I felt I was being looked down upon and when ever a request was asked it was dismissed.
Great
Taxpayer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2017
The work is good and staff is great. I like people and the different customers I got to speak with. No one call was alike and it requires you to be open.
Worse work environment of my life
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 June 2017
This is the worse work environment I have ever experienced in my entire life. Most team leaders are incompetent. The environment is constantly plagued with favouritism and psychological harassments. Believe me, even the internal recruitment process is biased, with some over-connected employees getting the subject before the exam date. What is happening in this office is a shame to the Federal Public Service. I do hope that in other regions, things are better.
Cons
Psychological harassments, favouritism
Great Group of People woring there
Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON28 June 2017
I enjoyed Working there it was a great team environment. Team Leaders and Technical advisors were always willing to help . Work Flow was well explained . Was only Contract to contract
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Parking issues
Excellent place
Accommodations & Telecommunications Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2017
Loved every day of going into work. Employees seem to appreciate their jobs and making friends was easy. Shifts start at 0730 hrs, 0800 hrs, 0830 hrs and some members come n at 0900 hrs. It depends on what can be arranged with the current manager in you r program. Most are willing to work with their employees to keep them happy thus create a strong working environment and productivity increases with happy employees.
Pros
working straight days
Great benefits, great wage
Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 June 2017
For someone just starting out the wages are fantastic. The benefits are excellent and are comparable to any other government job.

As in any job, the mAnagement isn't always as knowledgeable as they should be on human resource management. Part of this is the way they staff. Staffing is based on competencies and when testing you only need to show the competency once and have it verified to achieve the rating required.

Workplace culture differs to what job you have. The jobs in the call centre environment do not have as much team experience but the
effort from management is there to try and build a good team.

Overall, the opportunity to advance is slower than what the younger people expect but I think it was a great place to work overall.
Pros
Great benefits, great wages.
Cons
Changing to more call centre environment, most jobs at the lower level are not challenging.
Good money and Benefits
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2017
Kind of a slow work pace but it pays well and there are very good benefits. It is definitely a place to consider working for, for at least a little bit. There is a lot of testing and it can take a while for results.
Great Career but need to relocate
Taxpayer Compliance Agent (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 June 2017
Starting working with the CRA in January of 2015. Started at their call center as a Taxpayer Services Agent, was very successful on 1st work sim and was offered more training within first 6 months. Have been cross trained in thre areas of business. Then I moved on the Tax Center and took a job in Compliance. During off season with Compliance, I am currently working in Business Returns. Only reason for seeking other employment is relocation due to spousal job and place of residence.
Excellent work environment - great hours
Electronic Data Capture (EDC) Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON20 June 2017
Very busy workload but manageable. Positive environment and team. Team lead supported team and was approachable for any questions. Enjoyed time I worked there.
good
Trust Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2017
very good place to work Indeed posts your reviews anonymously to help job seekers.
We do not show your reviews to past, present and potential future companies.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2017
Great place to work except for the uncertain hours due to changes from part time to full time. making it difficult to plan your personal finances. Besides that though, it is a really good place to be and there are resources to help you learn and succeed.
Excellent
Electronic Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2017
Excellent government organization to work for ans pays well.

Downside is majority of positions are contract based.

Would work for the CRA again if I had the chance.
Pros
Great pay, great hours and great work/life balance.
Cons
Contract length is too short