Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews in Canada

Great job to get your foot in the door
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
The CRA is a very tough work environment. It is very hectic and regulating so the demands of the work itself does not make it easy to make accommodation for work/life balance. Nevertheless the employer does everything it can to help out.

Be prepared to be extremely busy and kept on your feet unlike any job you've had before.

Although it is a very stressful job, the people are very nice and helpful. The Agency gives you wonderful tools to do your job.
Opportunity for me to give back to the community
Tax Filing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Canada Revenue Agency as a CVITP for the past 3 months. My office was allocated in Burnaby community Services (2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, BC). I was responsible to prepared income tax returns and benefits for low-income people. I got a chance to make lot of connections and was able to apply the skills and knowledge I learn from BCIT to give back to the community. My mentor from Burnaby Community Service had given me lots of useful instructions and I'm grateful to have her as my supervisor.
Pros
Free luches, opportunities to meet new clients
Good money if you keep your head down and have no soul
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Typical day, arrive early and prep for the job and visit some friends. Make sure to be positive to make them feel better about their daily suffering and avoid saying anything too loud as one should not draw attention to themselves. Answer several calls, make way more call and see several problems with the way the job is done. Hold your tongue and watch wasted time, suffering tax payers and tax dollars burn away as those in charge who you could suggest fix issues would rather not knowledge issues as they will be able to retire soon and it can become someone an issue for someone else.

Be verbally abused by tax payer, your manager and don't complain or your job is on the line.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not decent management
Professional and friendly work environment with excellent benefits
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 5, 2016
They have excellent training programs; supervisors always open for advice and help in job performance; opportunities for advancement is excellent; very reasonable evaluation job performance evaluation. The biggest challenge encountered is handling errant taxpayers; but what I like most is being able to handle these taxpayers who eventually become cooperative.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Great environment and pay for a student
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2016
I learned numerous clerical tasks. I loved my boss, and my boss' boss. My co-workers were wonderful. It was a great work environment. My boss had faith in me to coordinate a large project and included me as a regular employee, not only a student.
Pros
Good job security, good work environment, always something to do, was often able to use my organizational skills
Cons
Had to be a student to keep the job
Busy quite steadily
Cashier/ General Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Accepted tax payments from individuals and companies . Data entered payment, offered receipts . Tallied day end payments , with appropriate paperwork. Assisted customers with basic information about taxes, referred to telephone operator when needed.
Pros
Working with variety
Cons
not being able to balance at end of day.
Great place to work!
Information technology infrastructure analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 6, 2016
Friendly staff, good benefits, positive work environment. If you want a Monday to Friday that doesn't follow you home this is the place for you!
Pros
Good staff, No shift work, low stress
Cons
Have to work within specific parameters at all times, which can make work take longer sometimes
Productive but monotonous
General Duties Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnpeg, MBJanuary 16, 2016
I was in an unsuitable position as a labourer, not a skilled professional according to my credentials. The position was monotonous, robotic. Communication between team leaders and workers was somewhat lacking. I worked closely with other coworkers that were beneath my skill level and socially/ interpersonally challenging to work with. I needed to find suitable employment and to grow.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad environment
Relaxed environment/ Great Learning oppourtunities
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2016
-New learning material each day
-Spoke with new clients on a daily basis
-Analyzed and resolved different issues
-Resourceful Co-workers
Pros
Great hours-lots to learn
Cons
Shortened contract work- lacked proper management
C.R.A> was a challenging and rewarding employer
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 23, 2015
C.R.A. was a very good place to work. There was never any fear of being laid off. There was adequate opportunities for advancement and diversification. For example, I could have decided to go into full time instruction . There were several different departments and they were open to all employees. The most difficult aspect of the job was the possibility of confrontation out on the road from clients that were being audited. Sometimes this could be problematic.
Review accounting records of clients
Field Examiner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Review and audit the books and records of clients to ensure compliance with income tax regulations. Discuss tax issues with manager, clients and their representatives, research tax legislation and prepare working papers, audit reports and correspondence.
Pros
Flexibility
It was a fun place to work with many opportunities to learn
Interior Design Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2016
It was a great place to work and the employees were very helpful with providing new tips with programs and advice. I was able to experience new programs and have a different understanding of the design field.
Pretty good working environmnet and would love to work there again
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 3, 2016
I was working as consultant for 9 month with Shared Services Canada and one of the client we work with is Canada Revenue Agency.

Nice working environment and people are very friendly, would love to work with them again
Good location to learn and get started in the IT field.
Programmer Analyst/Developer (CS2) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
The work was great, plenty of co-workers in the team to manage the workload and complete the work on time. Co-workers overall knowledge of the computers was slim but knowledge of the system in place was plenty. Management was fine at best but lots of room to improve. People had a bad tendency of spending lots of time talking about other co-workers and other information that was not relevant to work. Leave most of the work to be completed by a few selected individual.
Pros
Great learning experience and flexible schedule.
Cons
Lack of team work and cooperation with a touch of knowledge.
was an exciting experience
Community volunteer income tax program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, canadaNovember 22, 2015
a typical day at work was quite busy because of different clients trying to file their taxes. i learned how to file tax and use the software which was an amazing experience for me because its outside my area of study. the management and co-workers helped create a positive environment due to their commitment to team work. the hardest part sometimes was the software because it was complex and enjoyable part is basically the new work experience.
Productive and interesting
SP1 Term Contract Position (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I found it an extremely positive atmosphere to work in compared to the private industry job that I came from.

We worked in teams and the group I got along very well and made it a pleasure to go to work everyday.
Contract Clerk
Seasonal Mail Clerk and T1013 Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 2, 2015
I love working for the Surrey Tax Center, the hours are great, the pay is great, the people were fantastic in my area, and the work is enough to keep you busy.
The only real problem is that trying to become a permanent fixture there is really, really hard. Most work is contract work and if you can't find another position before your contract is up you have to leave and lose all your benefits and vacation/sick days etc. Then you need to start all over again when you go back (if you go back). It's too bad they operate this way.
Positive work environment
Junior Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2016
Colleagues are very fun and supportive. Management is very supportive and always offering new opportunities to grow and learn new skills.
company gym
Payment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 13, 2016
work is not too bad lots of different stuff to do so you dont get bored, high pay, and they got a gym for people that need to get a lift in.
Pros
pay, contract work
Cons
sensitive information = no phones ever
Good Workplace
Senior Large File Tax Auditor (AU-04) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 19, 2016
Great work life balance and competitive pay. Great people and excellent benefits. Pace of work is slower than in private practice.