Canada Post

Canada Post Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This is not what it used to be......which is a shame.
worker (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 28, 2013
Pros: pay rate is locked in for me, has some benefits still
Cons: constant fighting between union and management, stressful, dirty
This Info for Grande Prairie Plant only!
Night shift is 5pm to 1am - Day shift is 4am to 12pm. Lettercarriers start at 730am to 330pm. Some finish earlier.
Please beware of taking a casual position. The work might not be there at certain times of the year yet they expect you to be available at all times.
Canada Post is not the proud work place it used – more... to be. The last 2 years it has been a progressive downhill slide. They will eventually kill the Canada Post Retail Outlet and GP will be left with the Contract Outlets. New contract alienates new employees. – less
Good atmosphere and benefit
Postal clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2013
Pros: retirement plan
Cons: night shift
Happy meeting different people. Learning to use other machine in sorting mail. Management are helpful in giving information about benefits. Co-workers are friendly and nice. Hardest part of the job is night shift schedule. Most enjoyable work is the place and the people around the company.
great job to get into
helper (Former Employee), dresden, ONMarch 11, 2013
Pros: getting mail delieved on time
Cons: driving in not so nice wheather
great job lots of customer service skill. mail goes out rain or shine
I really enjoyed working at canada post
Volume Count Admin Support (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 4, 2013
Cons: good pay
This would have to be my most favorite job. I had my own letter carrier route, and really enjoy working with the public.
Depending where you work it is a good place to work.
RMC (Former Employee), Thamesville,Dresden, Pain CourtMarch 4, 2013
Pros: easy work, you meet nice people
Cons: other kinds of management you meet.
I worked as a RMC relief and worked at 3 different places. The last place I did relief as a RMC I was harassed by postmaster and filed a complaint with the area supervisor. His way of dealing with it was dismissing me. I also learned that RMC contractors are not employees of Canada Post even if your pay stubs say you are.
Good Money
On Call Relief (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: good money
Cons: no comment
Good Money. On Call relief has no set schedule. No set Hours. No guaranteed work.
Productivity after Productivity
Supervisor, Collection and Delivery (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: interact with business and home owners
Cons: long hours
My typical day starts from 600 am to 1400 hrs, but that can depend on your management if we have staff shortages, we have to do outside job as well. Getting mail and parcels out is very challenging specially in a strong union environment. Challenging Unions in their productivity is I like about my job. Stress level is very high, because you are bombarded – more... with different problems and work which are outside your scope. The management can sometimes change your work schedule which is causing lots of stress to supervisor and staff. Dealing with customers and staff is enjoying. In my job you also deal with health and safety of employees which means dealing with WCB, labor law and canadian health and safety practice, staffing around 150 employees in a depot, dealing with pay, union grievances, discipline, security of mail, customer inquiries, dealing with money and customs, accidents on the roads, dealing with edmonton bylaw which can include icy sidewalks, dogs drug houses and angry house owners. You also deal with disability management and return back to work for employees who are sick or injured, you also deal with different forms of modifications request. You also deal with Benchmark and targets like number of hours worked, scanning reports and financial reports. Lots of road work like measuring the distance between mail box and sidewalk so that letter carriers gets paid accordingly. There are also different projects. Due to email and text message Canada post is going down hill fast. Rumor's of Job cuts and working 3 or 4 days in a week is just around the corner. – less
Postmaster (Current Employee), Borden-CarletonFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: great pay
Awesome place to work and a fast paced work place, my co workers are friendly and its a team atmosphere.
mail
Ergonomic Helper (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 16, 2013
worked with my stepdad for a few years didn't really like it but learned how to do mail routes and alot of mail work
It can be a fun place to work.
RELIEF SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: you get free lunches here and there.
Cons: standing too long.
It is a fun place to work. You can learn lots of things. Your co-workers are alright. The management some are good. You don't have enough support from the manangement. You do have some sense of accomplishment.
Rural Safety Officer
Safety Officer (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: good salary and benefits. good management allowing me to make decisions, yet always there to help if needed.
Cons: continous days and nights away from home. my life balance was out of balance.
My last position with Canada Post was Rural Safety Officer. I joined the project team in Jan, 2008, learning a totally new job. I incorporated many of my skills in to this position such as being decisive, dependable, team oriented, credible, and always upgrading my knowledge base. On a typical day, I may do updating of information, field several client – more... complaints, make decisions on knowledge and policy, travel many miles and respond to employee concerns. I can prioritize, and delegate as the need arises. I work well with people and have a good sense of humor.

The hardest part of my job was leaving Canada Post, but knowing that I wanted to leave at the top of my game. It was time.
I certainly enjoyed the people I worked with, they were a large part of my day with Canada Post. – less
Cultural challenge, not easily changed.
L/C Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: on going training and travel.
Cons: a union that played far too strong a role in the day to day operations.
Every day a challenge. Being in a management position meant that you had to wear many hats. Most difficult aspect of the job was making everyone happy, employees, union, upper management.
overall a good experience
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: job security
very good pay, nice pace, good workplace, no hard part just enjoy the flow.
Independent Contractor
Independent Contractor (Former Employee), Barrie OntarioJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: being my own boss.
Cons: very long days.
I was an independent contractor.
Typical day started at 6am and ended at 6pm
Co-workers were great.
The hardest part of the job were the long days and the poor driving conditions at times.
Working for myself was a learning and enjoyable experience.
NICE PLACE TO WORK
LETTERMAIL (Former Employee), REGINA,SASKACHEWANJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: after 2 hrs working, 15 mins brake
Cons: overtime
THIS IS THE BEST PLACE I WORK THROUGH OUT MY LIFE.I LOVE WORKING TO DIFFERENT NATIONALITIES BECAUSE THEY ARE FRIENDLY AND EASILY TO DEAL WITH.WHAT I LEARNED IS,ALTHOUGH IM STILL PERMANENT RESIDENCE HERE IN CANADA,I PROVED TO MYSELF THAT I CAN GET IN TO WORK TO GOVERNMENT.THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS ALL MY CO WORKERS AS A CHRISTMAS CASUALS,IT – more... SEEMS LIKE WE KNOWN FOR EACH OTHER FOR LONG LONG TIME ALREADY THAT WHEN WE TEASE EACH OTHER NO MORE SHYNESS.I WISH I CAN GET IN AGAIN BECAUSE I LOVE CANADA POST. – less
Fun place to work
Data Entry Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: pay, atmosphere
Cons: words being crossed with work
- I was helping the engineering team to get their data put into electronic files.
- I learned the various points of how the mailing system in Canada Post works.
- Management was OK, it was a new 'team' within Canada Post, so it was dis-organized at times.
- About 90% of my co-workers were helpful, friendly, and seemed excited about their job.
- The – more... hardest part of my job was sometimes words/ideas were mixed up and I had to re-do lots of work for the Manager.
- The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I did love the environment, and most of the people, plus I always was busy. – less
A business that is spending a lot of time, money and effort on the wrong things they need to develop to grow their business
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: decent money, good benefits and a pension
Cons: night work and poor environment to work and be productive in
A typical day at work as a full time postal clerk is now at least in the area I worked in (Kitchener) is now a night position.

I learned the way the mail process works and the problems that Canada Post needs to focus on to improve.

The direct supervisors are genuinely decent people for the most part but are not well supported for the job they have – more... to do.

Upper management seems to have forgotten that the way to prosperity for this business is in customer service and customer satisfaction

My co-workers for the most part were good people working to support their families.

The hardest part of the job is watching the company I once was proud to represent become lost from it's purpose. – less
excellent people to work with
Letter Carrier/ Clerk/ LR7 Driver (Former Employee), canadaDecember 7, 2012
Excellent people
Various areas to develop and grow
Great management
Great way to stay in shape
I only am a casual worker with some experience
Postal Clerk (Current Employee), Pine Falls, MBDecember 1, 2012
I have knowlegde of how the postal system works.
Basic computer knowledge of how to enter outgoing and incoming packages. Dealing with customer needs. Sorting mail and distributing the mail.
Perfect job
Sorter (Former Employee), Vegreville, ABNovember 25, 2012
Pros: nice staff, good breaks, excellent pay.
Cons: would of liked to have been perminent. small town not needed at the time.
Early moring hours would come in and start sorting mail. I was part time casual so this was typically my only job, for the most part. And being at the cash registar to sell stamps etc.

About Canada Post

Canada Post Corporation, known more simply as Canada Post, is the Canadian crown corporation which functions as the country's – Read more

Canada Post Photos