Canada Post

Canada Post Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive workplace with pleasant co workers
Contractor (Current Employee), Tangier ,Nova ScotiaJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: weekends, government holidays off, pleasant co-workers, small rural area so easy to get to know the customers
Cons: no benefits, low pay rate, travelling in bad weather
A typical day at work would maybe involve sorting mail,collection of mail,C.O.D's,delivery of mail,scanning parcels for delivery or pick up. Hardest part of the job was there wasn't any set hours,so you had no idea when your day would start and end.Most enjoyable was a small office with only 5 employees there at a time.
Able to work with minimal supervision Healthy work conditions
Letter carrier Rural & Suburban Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 17, 2013
Pros: working with great people
Cons: winter cold
Start work at 6am sort all mail into letter cases, redirect mail, scan all parcels, deliver mail, pick mail up from street letter boxes. Return to post office.

Loved working with my co workers as a team player

The hardest part of the job was working in severe winter conditions

The best part of the job was working outdoors and meeting different types – more... of people – less
Becoming unbearable place to work as jobs are being cut
Letter Carrier (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 12, 2013
Pros: fresh air
Cons: long hours and confusion for casuals
Sort mail. Review parcels and record bar codes and download information into scanner. Scan all flyers going out that day and take out along with all pertinent mail.

Management fails to assist letter carrier and bullies workers especially casual on call carriers.

Hardest part of the job is remembering everything we have to do in such a short amount – more... of time

The most enjoyable part of the job is being outside and serving customers while mail delivering. – less
Extremely Challenging Environment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
Pros: good wage & benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons: mostly graveyard shifts, employee disrespect
The most demanding position I have ever had.

I learned a lot about the entire mail processing system including maintenance and prime operation or speed. I also learned how poor performance in one area can seriously affect the ability of another area to achieve objectives. An example would be that employees in one area do not get the mail dispatched – more... in time and it does not make it on the truck which takes it to the airport then we lose an enormous amount of money and we will not meet the delivery standards. This in turn affects daily goals, which affects yearly goals and will affect any potential bonuses.

Management communicated mail processing objectives at an escalated level each and every day. This caused many employee grievances, work stoppages, walk offs, employees claiming sick because they were overworked, employees threatened Supervisors, hurt Supervisors physically and used every intimidation tactic they could think of. Some employees were brave enough to threaten and intimidate Managers, Directors and Operations Managers.

I certainly learned a lot more about unionized employees, the contracts and how hard it is to discipline employees and or terminate employees. It certainly assisted with my interview and written skills as I was always writing some document related to employee discipline and conducting disciplinary interviews. – less
Working at Canada Post
Letter carrier / Mail servive courier (Former Employee), Aylmer, ONDecember 3, 2013
Your work was there waiting for you ,Working for Canada Post as a Letter Carrier your mail volume changes on any given day some days you have lots of mail and other day its lighter... the faster you sorted your mail route and deliver it the soon you would be done for the day. Management was good they had a job to do and that was getting the mail out – more... to the street on time .the co-workers were good fun we help each other if they need help . The hardest part of this job is the weather. sidewalk conditions dogs. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting the needs of your customers and them thanking you – less
Alot of interaction with fellow workers, and make new friends.
retired (Former Employee), Guelph, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: christmas parties
Cons: the cold weather
I would arrive at work. Collect mail to be sorted. Prepare the mail for delivery. Then I would go out and deliver the mail.
I also took a temporary time to be a manager. But at that time I was not offered a full time position. So I returned to my normal position as a letter carrier. One of the most enjoyable thing is the hockey tournaments.
Wonderful place to work. Love the job.
Part time and Holiday replacement (Former Employee), Verona, ontarioDecember 2, 2013
Loved the job. Lots of great people to work with. Most enjoyable part of the job was sorting the mail, and distributing it. You are always busy, never a down time.
HEAD CASHIER - UPLANDS IGA
Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: relaxed, friendly atmosphere
Cons: no future advancement.
Open daily cash, balance and close cash, performed cashier duties along with stock taking and shelf stocking.
Communicating, accuracy and time saving, customer relations.
Managed and trained new cashiers.
Hardest part of job was having to leave to further advance my career.
Most enjoyable was meeting and communicating with customers and staff.
Was close to home, and staff had a great sense of humor.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: odd hours.
Colleagues were very friendly. Eye opener on Unionized environment, as they were very big on rights and filing grievances when approached by a supervisor without a shop steward not being present.

Supervisors weren't the people to go to when one had a question, as they didn't know the process themselves. The full-time staff knew much more than the supervisors. – more... Job was physical, which was a good thing - kept one in physical shape, mind you it wasn't very mentally stimulating.

Operated machines and hand sorted mail. – less
Being able to work outdoors with minimal supervision and taking care of my customers to the best of my abilities.
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Brandon, MBNovember 25, 2013
Pros: working outdoors
Cons: using my own vehicle
The management team was very flexible in allowing me to schedule my deliveries around my sons school year. As a single mom this was very helpful. I learned how important it is to know all aspects of a route in order to efficiently delegate all details of the job to new employees. The hardest part of the job would have adjusting to the seasonal change – more... and volumes of parcels and mail flow during the fall/winter season. However the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work outside and all the relationships I was able to build with the customers on my mail route. – less
A very fast pace hectic almost chaotic environment
Letter Carrier (Temporary On-Call) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 20, 2013
Pros: you stay physically fit
Cons: takes a toll on your body
Everyday is pretty much the same. We collect our mail and other delivery items such as flyers ad mail and packets and sort them into our route cases which takes about an hour and a half depending on the work load for that day. Once our mail is sorted we load our trucks and head to begin our routes.

Management may get a bad rep but they do as good as – more... job as they can to maintain status quo between upper management and staff.

Co-workers also act as a support system willing to help out and give advice where they can to relieve some of the pressures you may face on you routes and in the workplace.

The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to enjoy the out doors when there is good weather but the total opposite when the weather is bad. – less
Canada Post should advertise Looking for pack mules not delivery agents
Former Letter Carrier (Former Employee), Edmonton,AlbertaNovember 17, 2013
Pros: decent pay and benifits
Cons: long hours, benifits don't kick in till your perm, carry lots of weight, no time for your personal life or family.
This company does NOT care about its employees or their family's. I worked there for 7 years and saw a lot of good hard workers get crapped on by Canada Post and quit. Canada Post only cares about one thing and that is money and how they can make more. In the past year I seen good people quit and not have any other job lined up, just so they didn't – more... have to put up with the Canada Post. They make you carry more then 35 pounds I carried 172lb at time in my satchel at time. Flyer mean more then mail to them as it worth more money to them. If you work there be aware that you will not have time for you personal life or family as Canada Post wants you to stay out until all the mail is deliver and parcels as well, They can force you into overtime even if you don't want to do any and also if you have overtime on the walk you are on you have to fight for your overtime pay. If you work there GOOD LUCK. I am glad I QUIT!!! – less
You can make it a fun place to work at.
LETTER CARRIER (Current Employee), OakvilleNovember 16, 2013
I go to work fairly early,pick up my mail and sort it into my case after doing that I sort through my parcels. After everything is in I tie out my mail load everything into my vehicle for delivery. Our supervisors are great and make it easy to talk to with any problems. I find the hardest part of the job is having to deal with the weather and of course – more... we have our busy season.The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and the flexability I have. – less
na
Postal Systems Technician (Current Employee), torontoNovember 14, 2013
It is a great company to work in.There is a lot to learn.Pay is good and training provided for various tasks is also formal and nice
This is a company that does not care about employees
Delivery Planner (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 1, 2013
Pros: great benefits for union workers
Cons: don't care about their employees
If you are in a union, this is a great job! If you are not.....so sorry!
This company preaches values and work/life balance but never follows through. The bottom lines rules and management is overpaid and the company is top-heavy.

If you are non-union, regardless of years of service, if they need to cut costs, you are gone! No warning, no options, – more... just gone..... – less
I enjoyed it a lot
Mail Sorter (Current Employee), LondonOctober 31, 2013
Pros: was it is full time around christmas
Cons: casual on call
I enjoyed sorting the mail and I got to learn the postal codes of all the streets in London. I enjoyed working with the management team as well as all of my co workers. The hardest part of the job is that it is only a call in basis and the most enjoyable part of it is that the time goes by fast.
Canada Post Corporation AMMP Project
Asset Maintenance Management Project $25M (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 24, 2013
Pros: great mix of seasoned employees with new employees with fresh ideas.
Cons: getting all teams to aligned & doing their work.
A smaller project compared to the huge Postal Transformation but interesting as changing the culture of the Maintenance Department within Canada Post. Was able to work with my speciality which was the spare parts required by maintenance to maintain the equipment. A typical day consisted of working with large spreadsheets and using VLOOKUP and Pivot – more... Tables to build the Bill of Materials for each type of equipment.

The project was fun as it had the support from all levels of management and was sorely need to replace the old mainframe system.

The co-workers were great and the hardest part of the project was getting the Master Equipment List for each site finalized and approved. The most enjoyable part of the project was learning the power of VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables which greatly reduced the amount of time required to build the Bill of Materials. – less
Good pay for the hours worked plus benefits
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Paisley, ONOctober 10, 2013
Great work environment. I am able to leave with my children and get home before they do. Benefits are a definite plus. You spend the first third of your day with coworkers then on the road for the rest.
warehouse environment
Canada Post- Postal Officer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 7, 2013
Pros: good salary
A typical day at work has a lot of lifting especially parcels and admails.
Enjoyed the people was working with and always something new
Customer Service Representative (Temporary) (Former Employee), Howick and Ormstown, QuebecOctober 3, 2013
Cons: split shift
Entering parcels into system, sorting mail, serving customers at the counter
A lot of regulations for shipping within and out of Canada
Co-workers were a joy to work with
The hardest part was all things to remember that are not always used on a daily basis
Most enjoyable part are the clients and co-workers

About Canada Post

Canada Post Corporation, known more simply as Canada Post, is the Canadian crown corporation which functions as the country's – Read more