Canada Post Employee Reviews

corporate environment with a good future
MCSC 5-ton Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
I liked working here because of the security and the work environment. Management was good. my typical day consisted of driving from point A to B usually more then one stop
Secure employment with reasonable compensation but negative workplace culture.
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 October 2015
A very secure place to work once you achieve permanent status, which is not so easy to achieve now. Reasonably good pay and benefits and and working conditions. Enviable job security and an indexed pension. Some safety issues for external workers in particular. Above average paid leave provisions.
Very little incentive for improvement; poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Unmotivated employees are allowed to drag the organization down. Poor labor relations.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, indexed pensions, job security, paid leaves.
Cons
Very little incentive for improvement, poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Poor labour relations.
Productive workplace with amazing coworkers.
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2017
Great people and atmosphere. Everyone there was helpful and willing to help you grow and learn as fast as possible. The management team demonstrates what teamwork means.
great co workers
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  torontio5 January 2017
sorting of mail, i learned how to work on all types of machines. Management was fair, co workers ware great. The hardest part of the job was clocking in and out of areas. The most enjoyable part was the pay
Pros
close to home
Cons
swift work
great
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario13 September 2016
love the job ;enjoy my staff and co workers. the idea of possible advancement is a great golden ring to me.
the management team that runs this corporation has the interest of the workers behind them and the future looks great.
Pros
laughs
Cons
no laughs
Great Environment
Volume Counter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
I was only a temporary worker there (Volume Count) but the staff and management were all very accomodating and easy to get along with. Everything was organized and follwed a set plan. Very much enjoyed it there
Informative
Casual Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 August 2016
There can be very long hours with great pay and there can also be no hours so the pay really doesn't matter.
Guild lines given but then asked to do more which is outside of guidelines.
Pros
No need for gym membership
Cons
not enough hours
Hard work,but rewarding
Mail Clerk, Mail Dispatcher, and Letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2016
I loved working at Canada Post! Everyday was new and exciting. In the span of a 37 year career, I was involved in every aspect of mail processing, the most challenging being a lettercarrier. It was an amazing and rewarding position, and I was constantly being approached on the street by people asking questions about my job. My coworkers were always very helpful, and I made many wonderful friend there.
Pros
Extremely rewarding at the end of the day-huge job satisfaction!
Cons
Very long hours sometimes, often in the most variable and extreme weather conditions.
Productive and stimulating workplace
sub contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, Ontario13 August 2015
I worked for Canada Post as a sub contractor for fourteen years. There are several different levels of time sensitive products which have to be dealt with on a daily basis. Customer service is paramount and you quickly realize that it takes a lot of people all working from the same playbook to successfully deliver the highest standard of service in a very competitive market.
There was always a great sense of community within and between the employees. Together we formed groups to fundraiser for disadvantaged children and former employees who had fallen on hard times.
I really enjoyed my time at Canada Post and when my contract was up in 2014 I moved back to Ireland.
Pros
Very stimulating, educational work envoiroment
Cons
Being outside on foot or driving in the Canadian winter can be stressfull
negative atmosphere.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2016
- negative environment with little to no room for advancement
- corporate culture has no employee engagement
- job itself is great with opportunities to help unroll critical corporate projects to customers with a face to face presence
Good pay
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
Job Security and good pay all around if you want to be comfortable this job is great. If you are looking for more opportunities you should look somewhere else.
Enjoyable and Healthy Work Environment
Mail Plant Labourer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2016
The work itself and co-workers are great. Best job i've had yet. The only downsides are that my position is on-call and I don't receive nearly as many hours as I would like to. Would definitely work here full-time and year-round if only I could.
Pros
The Work itself.
Cons
Very few actual hours.
Professional atmosphere with a light-hearted approach.
Mail and Parcel Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Dingwall, NS25 October 2016
Although I haven't been with the company too long, I've come to enjoy working at Canada Post, and looking forward to completing tasks associated with the type of work I do.
A typical day at work for me begins at 9 A.M. at the local post office, where I unload mail and parcels from our head office for distribution to the customers in my area. After sorting mail for the most efficient sections of delivery, I load them into my vehicle for transport, where I make the necessary stops along my route. After I complete my deliveries, I head back to the office to complete an entry in my daily log, detailing the deliveries I've made, and what parcels I was able to deliver, as well as any that I had to return to my office with to be carded for pick-up by customers.
I've learned to be efficient with my deliveries as it saves time and fuel.
Management is very good to work for. She was quite patient with me when I first began this position. I believe her patience is what contributes to a pleasant place for my co-workers and myself to work in.
The unpredictability of the weather makes it the hardest part of the job, as at times, the weather can be harsh and tricky to drive in.
I think the most enjoyable part of working for Canada Post is the interaction with my co-workers and customers.
Pros
Friendly people, great pay
Cons
Driving in various conditions.
Challenging work
Delivery Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 November 2016
Enjoyed the work and the site work in various provinces.
Management needs to understand to complexity of the work and give deadlines in advance for better project management
Pros
co-workers
Cons
project management lacking
POSTAL CLERK (PO4) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2016
I work in City Finals which means this department sorts the mail to the letter carrier routes to whichever depot in the City of Edmonton. With Edmonton growing as it is, I get to learn more street names and where they are located so if asked for directions from someone I would be able to assist them. I am able to get alone with both the management and my co-workers. I find that working nights and trying to sleep during the day (especially in summer as it is brighter and warmer during the day) can be problematic but there are ways around that. The best part, I find, is getting the job done by getting the mail sorted to the letter carrier so that they can get the mail to our customer.
Pros
Seniority gives you the option for work placement
Cons
Possibility of being locked out and/or on strike whenever contract ends.
Great project job
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 January 2017
The job was a project job which was a few weeks long. The role was to count the number of pieces of mail that came through the specific geographical area in order to assess the number of staff and rural mailboxes needed. The staff were amazing and outgoing and I made good friends during that time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Great company to work for
Real Estate Manager - Western Canada, Calgary (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Canada Post is a great company to work for with lots of interesting work and people to work with… lots of travel and challenges with the type of work product required
Not friendly at all
RELIEF MAIL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 September 2016
This job was about as bad as it gets - most post offices are dusty and old with fiberglass hanging out of the walls. Management do not have answers to a lot of issues that arise during the day and are bogged down with bureaucratic paperwork to even care about postal employees.
Pros
Job is mindless and easy and you're usually done by 2:00pm
Cons
Everything else
this summary is mostly in reference to dollarama and clothing closet....rewarding and productive
Ergo helper to deliver mail (Current Employee) –  staples and woodslee27 March 2016
challenging between setting up appointments for clients and having to maintain shelves n store and deal with customers. responsibility at a high level when it came to opening and closing store and making sure money and employees are safe. management is there to help with all concerns related to customers and employees. hardest part of these jobs was to take a disorganized state n make it organized so that every day was made a little easier but that is also the reward. rewards come in a form of accomplishment when faced with a challenging task along with the fact that I could help others in the meantime.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
occasional long hours
good work uncertain future
Ontario-Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 September 2016
great place to work but an uncertain future makes it tough to consider this as a career for current and future generations. wonderful to work outside and deal with the public.
Pros
monday-friday
Cons
uncertain future