Canada Post

Canada Post Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Repetitive job in a variety of weather conditions with no benefits.
RSMC Helper, RSMC Assistant, RSMC Replacement (Former Employee), Lively, ONMarch 22, 2014
Pros: choose your breaks, fresh air, done work early occasionally.
Cons: repetitive, working in winter weather, use your own vehicle, no benefits
Started work in the morning at around 8 to 9 am in the morning. Sorted mail for rural mail route into a sorting case to be delivered to customers and organized mail into bundles for over 750 houses.Scanned and organized parcels for delivery. Loaded mail, flyers and various sized parcels into vehicle for delivery.Delivered mail, parcels, flyers and magazines – more... into rural mailboxes and community mailbox sites on an approximate 35 kilometer route. Delivered parcels to customers houses and collected money and signatures if required.Worked in all weather conditions.Learned to complete tasks assigned effectively, efficiently and on time. Learned to understand instructions and communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.Learned to give extra effort and time to get a job done. Co-workers were very sociable and understanding and wanted to get the job done just as much as you wanted to, The hardest part of the job was working in the winter and during the Christmas rush in late November and December and also the job was very repetitious. The most enjoyable part was the light work days during the summer when the weather was dry and not stormy or raining. Another enjoyable thing was you could be done work earlier. Lastly, seeing the joy when customers got their parcels earlier than expected and seeing the elation on their faces. – less
canada post
HR Officer, Learning and Development (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2014
amazing place to work.Great people to work with and management team encourages development (employee)
Fast paced, time sensitive
Volume Counter (Term position) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: short work time frame
Cons: term position
It was an enjoyable experience but very repetitive. Not a great amount of interaction with others.
Great Government Job
RSMC ON CALL (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 28, 2014
Work at your on pace, great people that work there. Very helpful management
Great Job
Volume Counter Canada Post (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 15, 2014
It was a good working enviroment but unfortunately it was a temporary position.
alot of office politics
Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Alliston, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: meeting the public
Cons: office politics
Sorting and delivering the mail, delivering parcels to the door that needed signatures. Scanning parcels. Collecting money for COD parcels. I learned a lot of patience and how to stay out of office politics. I was there to work not get involved with politics of the office. Most enjoyable part was being out meeting the public and delivering the mail..
Great work environment with great co-workers
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: was given plenty of responsibilities, great management and co-workers, upbeat environment, office environment
My job consisted of data entry and extraction while maintaining company database as well as sorting mail. I learned to work in a group environment and communicate with my co-workers. Management were very friendly and fair. My co-workers were friendly and helped me succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into a friendly and upbeat environment – more... where I was given plenty of responsibilities to prove myself. – less
It's great to get paid to exercise!
Letter Carrier (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: exercise, fresh air.
Cons: over worked & under paid..........
I really enjoyed being able to socialize with my co-workers for a few hours at the start of the day (while sorting mail), but then have the few hours by yourself while you were delivering on the street. Even with the extreme weather, I really enjoyed being able to exercise all day long!
A large corporation
Lettercarrier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: self-employed
Cons: not much support
I was a contractor for most of the years , therefore was my own boss. I knew what needed to be done at all times.
The hardest part of the job was never having any time off
Producitve Workplace
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Iqaluit, NUJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: benefits
Typical day begins at 8:30 am and ends at 5pm.
Priority is the front counter, customer service, sales of products and services, scanning and sorting of mail and parcels.
Great sens of work ethic.
mail carrier (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: good working environment
Cons: poor weather.
My review of Canada Post was that the environment was a pleasant one.The supervisors were very reasonable and most were fun to be around.

Although at times it could be a bit hectic overall I wouldn't change much.
generally a good job, just not enough hours
Postal Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, BCJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: knowledge for personal use when needed
Cons: being a casual for 14 years has been hard. this means phone ins starting as early as 4am
Unload parcels and mail
input parcels
breakdown mail and deliver
serve customers
The hardest part I would say is in December, busiest time of the year.
The most enjoyable and rewarding is when a customer is not sure of for example what to do when moving say and you can make their day by helping with all of our knowledge, love that.
For the most part – more... our team is a happy one, some older workers don't like change but its important to get them on board because that's how business goes. – less
productive workplace with pleasant co workers
Contractor (Current Employee), Tangier ,Nova ScotiaJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: weekends, government holidays off, pleasant co-workers, small rural area so easy to get to know the customers
Cons: no benefits, low pay rate, travelling in bad weather
A typical day at work would maybe involve sorting mail,collection of mail,C.O.D's,delivery of mail,scanning parcels for delivery or pick up. Hardest part of the job was there wasn't any set hours,so you had no idea when your day would start and end.Most enjoyable was a small office with only 5 employees there at a time.
Able to work with minimal supervision Healthy work conditions
Letter carrier Rural & Suburban Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 17, 2013
Pros: working with great people
Cons: winter cold
Start work at 6am sort all mail into letter cases, redirect mail, scan all parcels, deliver mail, pick mail up from street letter boxes. Return to post office.

Loved working with my co workers as a team player

The hardest part of the job was working in severe winter conditions

The best part of the job was working outdoors and meeting different types – more... of people – less
Becoming unbearable place to work as jobs are being cut
Letter Carrier (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 12, 2013
Pros: fresh air
Cons: long hours and confusion for casuals
Sort mail. Review parcels and record bar codes and download information into scanner. Scan all flyers going out that day and take out along with all pertinent mail.

Management fails to assist letter carrier and bullies workers especially casual on call carriers.

Hardest part of the job is remembering everything we have to do in such a short amount – more... of time

The most enjoyable part of the job is being outside and serving customers while mail delivering. – less
Extremely Challenging Environment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
Pros: good wage & benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons: mostly graveyard shifts, employee disrespect
The most demanding position I have ever had.

I learned a lot about the entire mail processing system including maintenance and prime operation or speed. I also learned how poor performance in one area can seriously affect the ability of another area to achieve objectives. An example would be that employees in one area do not get the mail dispatched – more... in time and it does not make it on the truck which takes it to the airport then we lose an enormous amount of money and we will not meet the delivery standards. This in turn affects daily goals, which affects yearly goals and will affect any potential bonuses.

Management communicated mail processing objectives at an escalated level each and every day. This caused many employee grievances, work stoppages, walk offs, employees claiming sick because they were overworked, employees threatened Supervisors, hurt Supervisors physically and used every intimidation tactic they could think of. Some employees were brave enough to threaten and intimidate Managers, Directors and Operations Managers.

I certainly learned a lot more about unionized employees, the contracts and how hard it is to discipline employees and or terminate employees. It certainly assisted with my interview and written skills as I was always writing some document related to employee discipline and conducting disciplinary interviews. – less
Working at Canada Post
Letter carrier / Mail servive courier (Former Employee), Aylmer, ONDecember 3, 2013
Your work was there waiting for you ,Working for Canada Post as a Letter Carrier your mail volume changes on any given day some days you have lots of mail and other day its lighter... the faster you sorted your mail route and deliver it the soon you would be done for the day. Management was good they had a job to do and that was getting the mail out – more... to the street on time .the co-workers were good fun we help each other if they need help . The hardest part of this job is the weather. sidewalk conditions dogs. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting the needs of your customers and them thanking you – less
Alot of interaction with fellow workers, and make new friends.
retired (Former Employee), Guelph, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: christmas parties
Cons: the cold weather
I would arrive at work. Collect mail to be sorted. Prepare the mail for delivery. Then I would go out and deliver the mail.
I also took a temporary time to be a manager. But at that time I was not offered a full time position. So I returned to my normal position as a letter carrier. One of the most enjoyable thing is the hockey tournaments.
Wonderful place to work. Love the job.
Part time and Holiday replacement (Former Employee), Verona, ontarioDecember 2, 2013
Loved the job. Lots of great people to work with. Most enjoyable part of the job was sorting the mail, and distributing it. You are always busy, never a down time.
HEAD CASHIER - UPLANDS IGA
Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: relaxed, friendly atmosphere
Cons: no future advancement.
Open daily cash, balance and close cash, performed cashier duties along with stock taking and shelf stocking.
Communicating, accuracy and time saving, customer relations.
Managed and trained new cashiers.
Hardest part of job was having to leave to further advance my career.
Most enjoyable was meeting and communicating with customers and staff.

About Canada Post

Canada Post Corporation, known more simply as Canada Post, is the Canadian crown corporation which functions as the country's – Read more