Canada Post Employee Reviews

great Canadian company
Business Development Manager, Direct Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
Company is constantly evolving to meet ever changing Canadian marketplace. Great educational experience and indepth knowledge of their products and services, excellent training and team collaboration
Pros
sharing of best practices and successes
Cons
long hours and very demanding
Fast paced and demanding
Mobile letter carrier (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON1 January 2018
It was a pleasure working for such a large company. You were provided with all the tools to become a productive employee. Job opportunities were available if you want to change jobs. The personal were made up of different cultures and back grounds. The company made it easy for you to get adjusted to working with the public as well as your fellow employee's. I loved working outside as well as being independent.
Pros
Benefits and uniform were provided
Cons
Weather was a big factor in performing your duties
excellent employer
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 December 2017
This has been one of my favorite places to work. great co workers, ok management, good pay, great benefits. overall I would say work here if you can get on
Pros
flexible work environment
Cons
cold weather work
Good Employer
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE30 December 2017
Canada Post was great to work for. The hours were sometimes long and took physical demands on the body.
I learned a lot on human interaction with different types of personalities. I got along good with management.
The workplace culture can be clicky so need to find your comfort level and not get caught up in drama.
The hardest part would be completing delivery efficiently on extremely heavy parcel and ad mail days.
The most enjoyable part is meeting new people on my route.
Pros
good compensation for overtime.
Cons
out past dark to finish on heavy days.
Union and Non so its drama
Contracted Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2017
Never moving forward, always laterally in the freezing cold. Overall a good place to feel secure about never losing your job and if you didnt like anything to begin with you can just complain and they will accommodate you.
A wonderful opportunity to work in a job that was a good fit for me.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 December 2017
This was the ideal job that I was hoping for. I started out well and struggled with the workload and subsequently was terminated for not meeting expectations.
Review Summary
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2017
- Provide superior customer service.
- Ability to handel Cash including the Selling of money orders, stamps and registered mail/parcel service.
- Answering and resolving customer complaints.
Very poor work environment.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MB17 December 2017
Very poor work environment.
Treated like children from supervisors/superintendents.
Weight loads are hard on the body and are only going to get worse with more flyers and shorter times to complete them starting in Jan. 2018; Very long walking routes.
Very unhappy workers.
Pros
Cons
lots of walking, hard on body, very little pay for flyers
great place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2017
timmies was nice
good hours
job security for hard workers
learned how to use a pump truck and what monos were
wish i was paid more for the work
easy job to grasp
a great place to work. billiardo table for after working hours.
Shuttle operation (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 December 2017
post Canada is a place where i really used to enjoy working at and all my colleagues were nice and fun.
management was ok and not demanding and following the rules of work properly.
it is a multi ethnic workplace which makes you live many friendship experiences.
the job is enjoyable as we were spending most of our time outside the offices and working with people.
Pros
clothing and benefits
Cons
working in extreme weather sometimes ( cold )
Canada Post
Mail Clerk - Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB8 December 2017
A typical day with Canada post as a deliverer or as a clerk is very similar from office to office. The jobs performed each day are quite a wide range of different jobs such as sorting, bundling, redirecting, imputing parcels, dealing with customers, and opening and closing the office. The hardest part of my job is often dealing with customers. Since dealing with mail can often be dealing with people's livelihood if there are any mistakes in the system, it affects people in large ways which can cause frustration with customers, understandably so. I have learned a great deal of skills working with Canada post which is quite valuable and will be useful in the future. The hardest part of working for Canada post is the politics involved with the current management.
Pros
Many life skills learned
Cons
Dealing with angry customers
Personal Growth
Delivery Agent (DZ) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
On call schedule , not Preplanned
Learned Professionalism
Time management and route efficient
Early and late hours
great pay and benefits
clean and good trucks
Great job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 December 2017
Enjoyed working for the company and the people were all very friendly. Were flexible witth workélife balance, good shift hours, good benefits and pay grade
Multiple assignments with this firm have provided an interesting and varied work history
Manager, Supply Chain Engineering (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2017
Primarily Project management related work in conjunction with staff and internal Stakeholders.
It is a huge company, pace of reaction / change can sometimes be slower than one would prefer
Because the scope of Projects was typically nationwide, implementation completions / closeouts with positive results are very satisying
Pros
Varying projects dealing with a broad spectrum of issues
Cons
Sometimes long work hours
A place with such great untapped potential.
Superintendent of Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2017
Casual / on call status is the toughest stage to get through as hours are unpredictable especially for plant employee's. Delivery has more consistent hours however longer days.
Hard to get on full time.
RSMC (Current Employee) –  Grenville, QC4 December 2017
I am an RSMC on call would like to be working full time. Been working for Canada Post as a replacement off and on for 15yrs and trying to get on full time.
Operations / letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON4 December 2017
It was a great place to work and I would never leave if it wasn't for the fact that I could only get part time work. Pay is great and benefits are nice. The other issue was that there is no opportunity for advancement unless you are bilingual.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
short hours
I love working here!
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 December 2017
The job is never dull. It's always changing and the people are great.
There is lots of room for advancement or relocation and the pay and benefits are phenomenal.
Letter Carrier Duties
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON3 December 2017
Sorting and tying out Mail
Collating Neighbourhood Mail (Flyers)
Loading Mail, Parcels and Packets and Neighbourhood Mail in vehicle
Delivering above mentioned to businesses and/or residents
Performing customer pickups
Clearing mail from Retail Post Offices or Street Letter Boxes
Picking up mail from Retail Post Offices

I learned how to efficiently sort and deliver mail and parcels

Friendly and understanding supervisors

Hardest part of job - delivering heavy amounts of mail door-to-door, the excess mail and parcels to deliver on Monday and after long weekends and collating too many sets of flyers most days

Most enjoyable part of job - delivering mail to Community Mail Boxes and interacting with clients
Pros
Working independantly
Cons
Delivering heavy amount of mail door-to-door, Excess mail and parcels to be delivered on Mondays and after long weekends, Collating too many sets of flyers per day, Driving errors affects your personal driving record
Too much micro-management
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 November 2017
Depending on your position your day will start off usually around 8 am (I am term or "on call" so my day is 8-4) if you were lucky enough to get a call in the first place.

More than a few times I've come in, sat in the lunch room for 3 hours and was sent home with 3 hours pay due to "no work" which I do not believe to be true, there was always something to do if you looked hard enough.. also, you are assigned to work based on your seniority (your hire date) so if you're new like me, don't expect to work much.

If you were called in and got to work, your job consisted of gathering the mail from several different locations around the depot, sorting the mail into a case, then you had to sort flyers which, depending on your route and volume of flyers that day, could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours. After that, you are responsible for gathering little packets and large parcels. Typical volume will be around 35-40 packets and parcels per day, however some unlucky folk like myself have been on routes with more than 130 packages total. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy as a day like that leads to a lot of new people quitting.

Let's talk about Management. Your supervisors, if you can call them that, basically walk around shouting at the top of their lungs, loving the sound of their own voices, chastising you for things you haven't even done yet or never will do.

Every day I have reported to Canada Post I have seen at minimum one or two interactions between workers and supervisors and it's normally a toxic exchange. It seems like everybody
  more... is at each others throats for reasons I can't understand, nor do I care to.

If you apply for this job thinking it's going to be a piece of cake, you are dead wrong. This was my mindset going it and it turned out to be one of the hardest jobs I have ever done.

The hardest part of the job is the actual delivery part. Your satchel is only supposed to carry 35lbs, or that's what they tell you. In reality you'll be holding closer to 50-60+lbs on your shoulders for hours at a time. This is only if you've got nothing but letters in your bag. Packages are a whole different story.

I would say the best part of the job is minimal supervision once you're actually out delivering your route, however the toxic atmosphere of the depot really doesn't make it a perk and instead you tell yourself "thank God I'm not in that building anymore"

the pay is not worth the amount of stress and anxiety this company puts on you.
Pros
excercise, working outdoor
Cons
terrible management, working outdoors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Post. Our community is ready to answer.