Canada Post Employee Reviews

Good Employer
Temporary On Call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Letter Carrier Job in Canada Post is physically demanding. Besides you are exposed to extreme weather conditions but the good wages, benefits and job security compensates everything.
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 September 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
good group of people I worked with
ocr-on call relief (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 October 2016
good job but can be long hours summers are shorter days but in the winter with daylight hours can be a problem some times we use our own vehicles and we have to take care of the maintenance on them
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
long hours at christmas
Great people to work with and find work life balance
Postal clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 February 2016
Canada Post Corporation has been serving Canadians and people around the world since 1867. Feels great to be part of Canadian Heritage. At the moment I am employed as casual, on call evenings and weekend shift. Typical shift runs between 6 to 8 hours, where I am assigned to one of over 25 sections of the plant with minimum of 12 persons per section. Mostly mail comes to the plant as bulk and each work area sorts out particular type of mail, i.e. publications, business correspondence, letter mail, parcels, packages or packets. We scan, label and sort incoming or out going mail, feed mail to sorting machines and tag, label filled bins or skids of parcels then pass finished items to forklift operators to send those items to their perspective destination. So far have worked with hundreds of co-workers in rotating assignments, we get alone very well and often times share lunch with each other. Our supervisors are always on hand to help us if there is any issue or help is needed. So far its been over a year working for Canada Post and I wish there were more hours available to work.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
not enough hours
Great Company to work with.
Rural Mail Carrier Replacement (Former Employee) –  Escuminac, QC14 January 2017
While working with Canada Post, I enjoyed my time I spent delivering the mail. Sorted the mail and readied everything for my route. The hours were very sufficient for the customers on my route. I delivered to approx. 4 communities within the time frame allotted.
Co-Workers were the best to work with. Very sufficient and took pride in their careers. Would very much love to work for this company again.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
Wintery Weather was not the best weather to work in.
Busy fast paced.
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  BC3 January 2017
Every day is different. Every route is different. Letter mail and bulk are sorted into a case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, into the appropriate stops. Parcels are pdt scanned and numbered according to stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. Most co-workers are great. Some however feel the need to constantly powertrip and belittle others most days, with no consequences to their actions.
Pros
Working alone daily. Being outside. Working Mon-Fri.
Cons
Heavy lifting, oversized packages, weather, lots of flyers. Using your own vehicle.
The people make it a joy to come to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 March 2016
Opportunity to work in a variety of job positions. A happy atmosphere - always music playing. A high intensity, fast paced environment but never a feeling of overbearing pressure.
Pros
Good wage and benefits
Cons
Little chance for advancement
structure and process driven company
Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
Canada Post is an excellent company to work for, they have competitive wages and good job security, with lots of opportunity for advancement. In my 11 years with Canada Post I held 6 different positions.
Good pay and benefits
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier-RSMC (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON22 December 2015
The job involves sorting letters and parcels and get them ready for delivery. Once you get your own route the job gets routine and easier but when you first start the job is tough, especially if you have to manually sort all the mail. Nowadays, they started to convert to machine sorted sequenced mail and that helps a lot the start-ups who have to cover different routes at any given day.

Also, working with flyers is hard. If you get several flyers for a day, you have to collate them and that takes up to 2-3 hours after you come back from delivery. I would say the flyers are the toughest part of the job.

Other than that, the pay is good and you get various benefits, and 3 weeks of paid vacation plus 5 paid sick days which is very good.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
working with flyers
Canada Post Jobs
Letter Carrier / MSC Driver / Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
In the beginning working for Canada Post in hard work and long hours. But once you get used to it the work gets easier and you get faster the days do get shorter and you learn to love it. Most people are very nice to you and you look forward to the walk and seeing customers.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
you are a number
No future for new hires
Mail Service Courier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
CPC could be a decent place to work but there is no future for drivers. They won't call you for weeks, then expect you to be available entire weeks getting only 4-5 hrs. in the heart of the day.
You have to work elsewhere to make money yet the hours at CPC don't work well for having a second job.
Older drivers never seem to quit and about half are only PT anyways. You would have to put up with a lot for many years just for PT.
I was hired a part of a class of 16. When I quit, that was it. All 16 were now gone.
They have to make this more attractive for casual employees to stay.
Pros
pay is decent and so are most coworkers
Cons
Bad data terminals which are overused for no good reason.
Productive and Fun place to work
Mail Service Courier / Postal Clerk (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2016
Typical day is sorting of thousands of mail and meeting daily quota.
Able to rotate and learn other processing machinery. Management seek to make working environment conducive to work in. Me and my co-workers all get along which makes the environment comfortable. The hardest part of the job is that its a call on basis not much hours and the most enjoyable part of the job is working with my colleagues who are fantastic
Pros
Cons
Short hours
Secure employment with reasonable compensation but negative workplace culture.
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 October 2015
A very secure place to work once you achieve permanent status, which is not so easy to achieve now. Reasonably good pay and benefits and and working conditions. Enviable job security and an indexed pension. Some safety issues for external workers in particular. Above average paid leave provisions.
Very little incentive for improvement; poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Unmotivated employees are allowed to drag the organization down. Poor labor relations.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, indexed pensions, job security, paid leaves.
Cons
Very little incentive for improvement, poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Poor labour relations.
Hard work,but rewarding
Mail Clerk, Mail Dispatcher, and Letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2016
I loved working at Canada Post! Everyday was new and exciting. In the span of a 37 year career, I was involved in every aspect of mail processing, the most challenging being a lettercarrier. It was an amazing and rewarding position, and I was constantly being approached on the street by people asking questions about my job. My coworkers were always very helpful, and I made many wonderful friend there.
Pros
Extremely rewarding at the end of the day-huge job satisfaction!
Cons
Very long hours sometimes, often in the most variable and extreme weather conditions.
great
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario13 September 2016
love the job ;enjoy my staff and co workers. the idea of possible advancement is a great golden ring to me.
the management team that runs this corporation has the interest of the workers behind them and the future looks great.
Pros
laughs
Cons
no laughs
POSTAL CLERK (PO4) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2016
I work in City Finals which means this department sorts the mail to the letter carrier routes to whichever depot in the City of Edmonton. With Edmonton growing as it is, I get to learn more street names and where they are located so if asked for directions from someone I would be able to assist them. I am able to get alone with both the management and my co-workers. I find that working nights and trying to sleep during the day (especially in summer as it is brighter and warmer during the day) can be problematic but there are ways around that. The best part, I find, is getting the job done by getting the mail sorted to the letter carrier so that they can get the mail to our customer.
Pros
Seniority gives you the option for work placement
Cons
Possibility of being locked out and/or on strike whenever contract ends.
Informative
Casual Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 August 2016
There can be very long hours with great pay and there can also be no hours so the pay really doesn't matter.
Guild lines given but then asked to do more which is outside of guidelines.
Pros
No need for gym membership
Cons
not enough hours
this summary is mostly in reference to dollarama and clothing closet....rewarding and productive
Ergo helper to deliver mail (Current Employee) –  staples and woodslee27 March 2016
challenging between setting up appointments for clients and having to maintain shelves n store and deal with customers. responsibility at a high level when it came to opening and closing store and making sure money and employees are safe. management is there to help with all concerns related to customers and employees. hardest part of these jobs was to take a disorganized state n make it organized so that every day was made a little easier but that is also the reward. rewards come in a form of accomplishment when faced with a challenging task along with the fact that I could help others in the meantime.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
occasional long hours
negative atmosphere.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2016
- negative environment with little to no room for advancement
- corporate culture has no employee engagement
- job itself is great with opportunities to help unroll critical corporate projects to customers with a face to face presence