Canada Post Employee Reviews

Busy Productive Place
Aministrative Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto31 December 2016
I learned,Federal Union Culture. Management is Partly Autocratic & Team Leaders. Co-workers are amazing & very very co-operative.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes need to walk in the plant for 3 to 4 hours & the most enjoyable part of the job is to work on Facer machines.
Pros
Free Benefits & Pension Plan
Cons
Long Hours
Productive with supportive co-workers and friendly atmosphere
Temporary on call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 December 2016
Fairly easy going as long you are well organized, you will learn a lot about how the mail system works and that there is much more to it than we see as consumers. Most co-workers are very friendly, supportive people that will do their utmost to help you succeed and get through the tough parts of the job. The hardest parts of the job are probably memorization of the various ways which you need to process mail dependent on circumstance and the adjustment to the physical demand on your body if you are a foot-walk letter carrier. There are many enjoyable aspects of the job from socialization to the work out it provides to the compensation and advancement opportunities, it all depends on your personality and what motivates you.
Fun place to work with good people, pay, and benefits, but very demanding job
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
I had a lot of fun working with Canada Post. I met some great people working there however the job itself is very demanding. The pay is good and you get great benefits after a 480 hour probationary period, however It is not for everybody, especially in the beginning when you are a casual/on call employee. You just have to tough it out to make part time/full time and get your own route. I found the worst part was having to work a new route every assignment, and having to deliver mail from morning till night in freezing winter temperatures with supervisors breathing over your shoulder complaining about you doing too much overtime. This made it very stressful at times but if you are up to the challenge this is a great job for you.
Pros
Good people, good pay, benefits
Cons
Demanding job, long hours, working outdoors(in the winter), high expectations from supervisors
Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
Busy and challenging place to work
RSMC - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Preeceville, SK17 January 2017
Canada Post offers excellent pay, benefits, and opportunity for advancement.
But you have to be flexible and prepared for any number of challenges during a day. The work requirements are high. High sales, high volume, and little room for error.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Unpaid hours when work loads get high
long hours, very busy
rsmc suburban and rural mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 January 2017
organizing mail, preparing packages
learned how to prioritize and work fast
management was good, went through a few managers while I was there.
people I worked with were great
standing on the concrete floor for hours
the people I worked with
Pros
was left alone to work by myself
Best place for benefits
Industrial/Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
Best benefits package, join if you can find permanent job. Contract workers are not treated equally, no training for contract employees, high level of politics.
Pros
Best package
Cons
Job is not secure
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
Professional, striving to improve
Delivery Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2017
Great company to work for lots of room for growth and advancement.
Work days were constantly different, great opportunity to develop professional skills under a high pressure environment.
Pros
Salary, benifits
Cons
Union
great benefits
Superviseur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2016
Great place to work outside management. Unfortunately existing management. Harassment and favouritism comes to play within management group (Montreal ) as for it`s policies and work environment as a company I do consider it a top company to work for.
Pros
great benefits along with good working conditions
Cons
be aware of favouritism if advancement is what you are looking for
structure and process driven company
Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
Canada Post is an excellent company to work for, they have competitive wages and good job security, with lots of opportunity for advancement. In my 11 years with Canada Post I held 6 different positions.
Flexible to my Schedule, independent and attention to detail work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mount Forest, ON3 February 2017
This is a job that needs to have attention to detail, and make sure you are comfortable driving in all weather conditions. The management and fellow employees are easy to work with and are very helpful when things are confusing or not easily understandable.

The hardest part of this job is learning how each office works and what their little quirks are. Saying that, each office has their own individual persons working there that make it their own work space and it's about accommodating yourself to their surroundings, with everyone having the same outcome of delivering the mail.
Toxic Work Environment at Calgary Plant CMPP
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
As the title specifies extremely toxic work environment. As a Canadian citizen I'm very disappointed with the horrible treatment here in the Calgary Plant. I have been discriminated on a daily basis because I am not Filipino and do not understand their native language they use in the workplace. 60 percent of employees in the plant are foreign workers from Philippines. Management is no better, as most of them do not treat you like a human being rather more like an animal especially the PCR Manager and Tech Services Manager. They take their aggression on postal clerks by making our work lives as miserable as possible for their own benefit. Management does not care about company or anything else except for themselves. Plant Director sits in his office watching TSN nearly everyday!

There are some co-workers who are great to work with as they understand the importance of working together and getting the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is I made some good friends along the way who I can trust to work with.
Pros
Unionized, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lousy Management, Strong Lazy Work Ethhics, Worker Discrimination and Harassment, NO DAY SHIFT
Bootcamp like environment
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2016
Supervisors are 'trained' to conduct themselves like a bootcamp environment. They will not take in consideration the employees opinions and suggestions. Upper management have no compassion for employees personal issues and will discipline regardless of situation. They do not allow employees to communicate amongst one another. They are told to go back to their work station to work. Do not follow health and safety regulations.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Do not care about employees
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
Nothing good about this place beside it paying you money
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 September 2016
A typical day at work here, would be sorting mail and flyers for your assigned walk which can take upwards of 1.5 hrs(more like 2+ if its busy and you're new to the walk). Then you must sort packets and parcels, scan everything and load the truck to deliver. Most routes can not be done in 8 hrs without you missing lunch and breaks... however management who has never done a route before will say its easy or must be done in that time frame.

The management is the worst part about this place and its the worst i have ever experienced in all of the workplace settings i have been in. 90% of them will talk down to you in a condescending manner. Act like they can tell you about a job they've never done or cant even do. If you make any mistake they are all over you and will discipline you instead of properly educating you on procedures you might not have been aware of. They will threat and put your job at risk for the littlest things. Its a very negative culture and $19.40 is a decent starting wage but for what you have to do and put up with everyday you start to realize its not worth it. Most ppl just stay here to pay the bills or they dont have any other options.

The only things i enjoy are the co workers, getting paid and being on the road away from the toxic management. I honestly wouldn't recommend this job to anyone because it will only get worse here. Pension and benefits are nice once you get full time which can take 2 years but they want to take those things away.
Pros
Independent work outside, decent pay, co workers
Cons
MANAGEMENT, not secure job, slow or no advancement, low wage increase compared to inflation, everything else besides pro's really...
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 September 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
Great Company to work with.
Rural Mail Carrier Replacement (Former Employee) –  Escuminac, QC14 January 2017
While working with Canada Post, I enjoyed my time I spent delivering the mail. Sorted the mail and readied everything for my route. The hours were very sufficient for the customers on my route. I delivered to approx. 4 communities within the time frame allotted.
Co-Workers were the best to work with. Very sufficient and took pride in their careers. Would very much love to work for this company again.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
Wintery Weather was not the best weather to work in.
Difficult Work
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
I learned a lot about how the post office

Workplace was made up of older people

Environment was stressful

The physical aspect of the job was the most difficult, the weather also effected your work because it involved being outside

The best part of the job is the salary and the benefits

Seniority matters more then quality of work
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hours vary, weather conditions, lots of risks and dangers come with the job, physically exhausting