Canada Post Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with good people, pay, and benefits, but very demanding job
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
I had a lot of fun working with Canada Post. I met some great people working there however the job itself is very demanding. The pay is good and you get great benefits after a 480 hour probationary period, however It is not for everybody, especially in the beginning when you are a casual/on call employee. You just have to tough it out to make part time/full time and get your own route. I found the worst part was having to work a new route every assignment, and having to deliver mail from morning till night in freezing winter temperatures with supervisors breathing over your shoulder complaining about you doing too much overtime. This made it very stressful at times but if you are up to the challenge this is a great job for you.
Pros
Good people, good pay, benefits
Cons
Demanding job, long hours, working outdoors(in the winter), high expectations from supervisors
Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
Bootcamp like environment
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2016
Supervisors are 'trained' to conduct themselves like a bootcamp environment. They will not take in consideration the employees opinions and suggestions. Upper management have no compassion for employees personal issues and will discipline regardless of situation. They do not allow employees to communicate amongst one another. They are told to go back to their work station to work. Do not follow health and safety regulations.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Do not care about employees
Toxic Work Environment at Calgary Plant CMPP
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
As the title specifies extremely toxic work environment. As a Canadian citizen I'm very disappointed with the horrible treatment here in the Calgary Plant. I have been discriminated on a daily basis because I am not Filipino and do not understand their native language they use in the workplace. 60 percent of employees in the plant are foreign workers from Philippines. Management is no better, as most of them do not treat you like a human being rather more like an animal especially the PCR Manager and Tech Services Manager. They take their aggression on postal clerks by making our work lives as miserable as possible for their own benefit. Management does not care about company or anything else except for themselves. Plant Director sits in his office watching TSN nearly everyday!

There are some co-workers who are great to work with as they understand the importance of working together and getting the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is I made some good friends along the way who I can trust to work with.
Pros
Unionized, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lousy Management, Strong Lazy Work Ethhics, Worker Discrimination and Harassment, NO DAY SHIFT
great benefits
Superviseur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2016
Great place to work outside management. Unfortunately existing management. Harassment and favouritism comes to play within management group (Montreal ) as for it`s policies and work environment as a company I do consider it a top company to work for.
Pros
great benefits along with good working conditions
Cons
be aware of favouritism if advancement is what you are looking for
Relaxed working environment
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB18 July 2016
A very flexible place to work at. The days are as long as you determine them to be. If you work fast, then you are done for the day. If you go slower then your day is longer. It is up to you to decide. The hardest part of the job is Christmas time but its not for an extended period of time. The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get out on your route and its just you and your music.
Pros
Great benefits
CPC is not the place it used to be.
Mechanical Supervisor Letter Processing (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2016
CPC is battling with low mail volumes. This is causing an unhealthy work environment. The relationship the Union and Management is at an all time low.
Pros
Good Pay and Benifits
Cons
Poor Management
Good environment
Factrice (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 December 2016
You need to love working outdoors and you need to be in a very good shape because there is a lot of walking and climbing stairs to make the deliveries.
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
The routes are too long
Nothing good about this place beside it paying you money
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 September 2016
A typical day at work here, would be sorting mail and flyers for your assigned walk which can take upwards of 1.5 hrs(more like 2+ if its busy and you're new to the walk). Then you must sort packets and parcels, scan everything and load the truck to deliver. Most routes can not be done in 8 hrs without you missing lunch and breaks... however management who has never done a route before will say its easy or must be done in that time frame.

The management is the worst part about this place and its the worst i have ever experienced in all of the workplace settings i have been in. 90% of them will talk down to you in a condescending manner. Act like they can tell you about a job they've never done or cant even do. If you make any mistake they are all over you and will discipline you instead of properly educating you on procedures you might not have been aware of. They will threat and put your job at risk for the littlest things. Its a very negative culture and $19.40 is a decent starting wage but for what you have to do and put up with everyday you start to realize its not worth it. Most ppl just stay here to pay the bills or they dont have any other options.

The only things i enjoy are the co workers, getting paid and being on the road away from the toxic management. I honestly wouldn't recommend this job to anyone because it will only get worse here. Pension and benefits are nice once you get full time which can take 2 years but they want to take those things away.
Pros
Independent work outside, decent pay, co workers
Cons
MANAGEMENT, not secure job, slow or no advancement, low wage increase compared to inflation, everything else besides pro's really...
You would only want to stay here for the benefits and the pension.
Mail Service Courier, Mail Dispatcher, Clerk. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2016
Many senior managers treated employees with very little respect. This is an employer actively and constantly eliminating the reasons why they would want to make this place their career.
Pros
Wages benefits
A nice place to work
Commis de postes categorie PO4 (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2016
Competitive salary,opportunities on carer advancement.
Co-workers are friendly.
Formation is given for any position that needs to be fulfilled.
One of the best places to work in canada.
I learned a lot about customer service.
Good job , enjoyable at times
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 February 2016
Your day would start be sorting your mail and parcels to be delivered ,you would put the mail in order of travel to be delivered .
Management is not very good , very bullying and controlling . People who couldn't make it as lettercarriers have been made managers .
My co workers were great they totally made the job fun and enjoyable I made a lot of good friends at work .
Winter conditions made the job harder , slip trips and falls are common . If you did hurt yourself at work you would often have to make up a story of how you went over on your ankle for instance because it just doesn't happen you must have done something to come to that injury . Who hasn't just went over on an ankle at one time or another and when you walk 9 miles a day it happens .
Very good benefits and holidays , the best part of the job was all the people I delivered to .
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Bad management, forced over time .
Great Place
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 August 2016
One of the best employers in Canada. Decent wages and generous benefits. Touching peoples lives daily and connecting dreams
Great place once you start getting shifts
On call Temporary Postal worker (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 May 2016
Takes a long time to get to the top. 10 + years to move from temporary on call to full time. Working there for 3 months so far only 1 shift. Cannot support a family starting at the bottom.
Pros
great job with good benifits
Cons
no hours at the beginning.
Good Employer
Temporary On Call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Letter Carrier Job in Canada Post is physically demanding. Besides you are exposed to extreme weather conditions but the good wages, benefits and job security compensates everything.
Great people to work with and find work life balance
Postal clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 February 2016
Canada Post Corporation has been serving Canadians and people around the world since 1867. Feels great to be part of Canadian Heritage. At the moment I am employed as casual, on call evenings and weekend shift. Typical shift runs between 6 to 8 hours, where I am assigned to one of over 25 sections of the plant with minimum of 12 persons per section. Mostly mail comes to the plant as bulk and each work area sorts out particular type of mail, i.e. publications, business correspondence, letter mail, parcels, packages or packets. We scan, label and sort incoming or out going mail, feed mail to sorting machines and tag, label filled bins or skids of parcels then pass finished items to forklift operators to send those items to their perspective destination. So far have worked with hundreds of co-workers in rotating assignments, we get alone very well and often times share lunch with each other. Our supervisors are always on hand to help us if there is any issue or help is needed. So far its been over a year working for Canada Post and I wish there were more hours available to work.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
not enough hours
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 September 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
The people make it a joy to come to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 March 2016
Opportunity to work in a variety of job positions. A happy atmosphere - always music playing. A high intensity, fast paced environment but never a feeling of overbearing pressure.
Pros
Good wage and benefits
Cons
Little chance for advancement