Canada Post Employee Reviews

A busy enviroment with chances to advance. Not to mention great money to provide for yourself and your family.
Mail Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
I loved my job so much, I stayed 15 years. I made lots of lasting friendships with co-workers and supervisors.

My jobs over the years went from dealing with mail on it's way out of the building, to receiving them as soon as they arrive.
Pros
Long breaks and or lunches during special times during the years.
Cons
Can be stressful as a delay of the mail in any way, can result in an immediate suspension. Which I understand. Going on strike, which is something so employee wants to do for financial reasons.
Flexible to my Schedule, independent and attention to detail work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mount Forest, ON3 February 2017
This is a job that needs to have attention to detail, and make sure you are comfortable driving in all weather conditions. The management and fellow employees are easy to work with and are very helpful when things are confusing or not easily understandable.

The hardest part of this job is learning how each office works and what their little quirks are. Saying that, each office has their own individual persons working there that make it their own work space and it's about accommodating yourself to their surroundings, with everyone having the same outcome of delivering the mail.
Great Company to work with.
Rural Mail Carrier Replacement (Former Employee) –  Escuminac, QC14 January 2017
While working with Canada Post, I enjoyed my time I spent delivering the mail. Sorted the mail and readied everything for my route. The hours were very sufficient for the customers on my route. I delivered to approx. 4 communities within the time frame allotted.
Co-Workers were the best to work with. Very sufficient and took pride in their careers. Would very much love to work for this company again.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
Wintery Weather was not the best weather to work in.
Difficult Work
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
I learned a lot about how the post office

Workplace was made up of older people

Environment was stressful

The physical aspect of the job was the most difficult, the weather also effected your work because it involved being outside

The best part of the job is the salary and the benefits

Seniority matters more then quality of work
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hours vary, weather conditions, lots of risks and dangers come with the job, physically exhausting
Interesting time to be involved, as postal codes were being introducted
media and public relations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 February 2017
This job offered the opportunity to show people how postal codes could provide a more efficient and effective means of communication. And it offered the opportunity to help people learn ways to remember their postal codes. This was one of the major sticking points when codes were first introduced.
Pros
interesting people, interesting projects
Cons
none, really
Good coworkers, punitive management
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 January 2017
I enjoyed eachone of my coworkers. I did not like the way in which management dealt with new carriers. I was put in a dangerous situation by management simple because they wanted to get mail out quickly. I was injured, then forced to report for work. even though I was not physically capable of completing any tasks associated with my job.
Pros
physically active
Cons
dangerous conditions in the winter
Not For Everyone
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2017
Don't always get paid, Lazy Supervisors, lack of communication. Poor training. Lots of complainers, if applying for RSMC keep in mind you get paid 40% less then a letter carrier to do the same job but with your own vehicle. Coworkers are enjoyable for the most part. Union is supportive when it's convenient for them. Benefits are decent.
Pros
Working on own for most of the day
Cons
Poor communication
No future for new hires
Mail Service Courier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
CPC could be a decent place to work but there is no future for drivers. They won't call you for weeks, then expect you to be available entire weeks getting only 4-5 hrs. in the heart of the day.
You have to work elsewhere to make money yet the hours at CPC don't work well for having a second job.
Older drivers never seem to quit and about half are only PT anyways. You would have to put up with a lot for many years just for PT.
I was hired a part of a class of 16. When I quit, that was it. All 16 were now gone.
They have to make this more attractive for casual employees to stay.
Pros
pay is decent and so are most coworkers
Cons
Bad data terminals which are overused for no good reason.
Busy fast paced.
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  BC3 January 2017
Every day is different. Every route is different. Letter mail and bulk are sorted into a case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, into the appropriate stops. Parcels are pdt scanned and numbered according to stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. Most co-workers are great. Some however feel the need to constantly powertrip and belittle others most days, with no consequences to their actions.
Pros
Working alone daily. Being outside. Working Mon-Fri.
Cons
Heavy lifting, oversized packages, weather, lots of flyers. Using your own vehicle.
Productive with supportive co-workers and friendly atmosphere
Temporary on call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 December 2016
Fairly easy going as long you are well organized, you will learn a lot about how the mail system works and that there is much more to it than we see as consumers. Most co-workers are very friendly, supportive people that will do their utmost to help you succeed and get through the tough parts of the job. The hardest parts of the job are probably memorization of the various ways which you need to process mail dependent on circumstance and the adjustment to the physical demand on your body if you are a foot-walk letter carrier. There are many enjoyable aspects of the job from socialization to the work out it provides to the compensation and advancement opportunities, it all depends on your personality and what motivates you.
Good hard working people that care about their customers
35 years Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 February 2017
The problem with Canada Post is this
Management are people from outside the Post Office
They only care about profits not service not employees
The union only cares about the unions power and union dues
Pros
Perfect for people that enjoy working outside independently
Cons
You must enjoy early hours and some long days
Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
Productive Fast Paced Work Place
Depot Support Sortation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ON26 January 2017
As a sortation clerk my day begins very early in the morning. It is my job to sort all the incoming mail to the appropriate routes at my particular station. I enjoy the fast paced work environment. My current schedule is perfect to allow me to still be available for my children. Great pay and benefits!
Busy Productive Place
Aministrative Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto31 December 2016
I learned,Federal Union Culture. Management is Partly Autocratic & Team Leaders. Co-workers are amazing & very very co-operative.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes need to walk in the plant for 3 to 4 hours & the most enjoyable part of the job is to work on Facer machines.
Pros
Free Benefits & Pension Plan
Cons
Long Hours
Busy and challenging place to work
RSMC - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Preeceville, SK17 January 2017
Canada Post offers excellent pay, benefits, and opportunity for advancement.
But you have to be flexible and prepared for any number of challenges during a day. The work requirements are high. High sales, high volume, and little room for error.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Unpaid hours when work loads get high
long hours, very busy
rsmc suburban and rural mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 January 2017
organizing mail, preparing packages
learned how to prioritize and work fast
management was good, went through a few managers while I was there.
people I worked with were great
standing on the concrete floor for hours
the people I worked with
Pros
was left alone to work by myself
Canada Post Jobs
Letter Carrier / MSC Driver / Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
In the beginning working for Canada Post in hard work and long hours. But once you get used to it the work gets easier and you get faster the days do get shorter and you learn to love it. Most people are very nice to you and you look forward to the walk and seeing customers.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
you are a number
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
constant change to meet customer needs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 October 2016
Canada Post prime focus is the parcel industry...letter mail volumes have decreased and NM has increased
Responsible for daily staffing, payroll
Provide support and knowledge in the delivery of products.
Address customer needs
Insure products meet the appropriate time frame
Firm believer of being a team player
Complete tasks within required time frame
Pros
Excellent support from do-workers
Cons
by choice work extra hours to complete tasks
Great project job
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 January 2017
The job was a project job which was a few weeks long. The role was to count the number of pieces of mail that came through the specific geographical area in order to assess the number of staff and rural mailboxes needed. The staff were amazing and outgoing and I made good friends during that time.
Pros
Pay