Canada Post Employee Reviews

Good job , enjoyable at times
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Your day would start be sorting your mail and parcels to be delivered ,you would put the mail in order of travel to be delivered .
Management is not very good , very bullying and controlling . People who couldn't make it as lettercarriers have been made managers .
My co workers were great they totally made the job fun and enjoyable I made a lot of good friends at work .
Winter conditions made the job harder , slip trips and falls are common . If you did hurt yourself at work you would often have to make up a story of how you went over on your ankle for instance because it just doesn't happen you must have done something to come to that injury . Who hasn't just went over on an ankle at one time or another and when you walk 9 miles a day it happens .
Very good benefits and holidays , the best part of the job was all the people I delivered to .
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Bad management, forced over time .
Great people to work with and find work life balance
Postal clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Canada Post Corporation has been serving Canadians and people around the world since 1867. Feels great to be part of Canadian Heritage. At the moment I am employed as casual, on call evenings and weekend shift. Typical shift runs between 6 to 8 hours, where I am assigned to one of over 25 sections of the plant with minimum of 12 persons per section. Mostly mail comes to the plant as bulk and each work area sorts out particular type of mail, i.e. publications, business correspondence, letter mail, parcels, packages or packets. We scan, label and sort incoming or out going mail, feed mail to sorting machines and tag, label filled bins or skids of parcels then pass finished items to forklift operators to send those items to their perspective destination. So far have worked with hundreds of co-workers in rotating assignments, we get alone very well and often times share lunch with each other. Our supervisors are always on hand to help us if there is any issue or help is needed. So far its been over a year working for Canada Post and I wish there were more hours available to work.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
not enough hours
The people make it a joy to come to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 26, 2016
Opportunity to work in a variety of job positions. A happy atmosphere - always music playing. A high intensity, fast paced environment but never a feeling of overbearing pressure.
Pros
Good wage and benefits
Cons
Little chance for advancement
Good pay and benefits
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier-RSMC (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONDecember 22, 2015
The job involves sorting letters and parcels and get them ready for delivery. Once you get your own route the job gets routine and easier but when you first start the job is tough, especially if you have to manually sort all the mail. Nowadays, they started to convert to machine sorted sequenced mail and that helps a lot the start-ups who have to cover different routes at any given day.

Also, working with flyers is hard. If you get several flyers for a day, you have to collate them and that takes up to 2-3 hours after you come back from delivery. I would say the flyers are the toughest part of the job.

Other than that, the pay is good and you get various benefits, and 3 weeks of paid vacation plus 5 paid sick days which is very good.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
working with flyers
Secure employment with reasonable compensation but negative workplace culture.
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 30, 2015
A very secure place to work once you achieve permanent status, which is not so easy to achieve now. Reasonably good pay and benefits and and working conditions. Enviable job security and an indexed pension. Some safety issues for external workers in particular. Above average paid leave provisions.
Very little incentive for improvement; poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Unmotivated employees are allowed to drag the organization down. Poor labor relations.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, indexed pensions, job security, paid leaves.
Cons
Very little incentive for improvement, poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Poor labour relations.
this summary is mostly in reference to dollarama and clothing closet....rewarding and productive
Ergo helper to deliver mail (Current Employee) –  staples and woodsleeMarch 27, 2016
challenging between setting up appointments for clients and having to maintain shelves n store and deal with customers. responsibility at a high level when it came to opening and closing store and making sure money and employees are safe. management is there to help with all concerns related to customers and employees. hardest part of these jobs was to take a disorganized state n make it organized so that every day was made a little easier but that is also the reward. rewards come in a form of accomplishment when faced with a challenging task along with the fact that I could help others in the meantime.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
occasional long hours
Productive and stimulating workplace
sub contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, OntarioAugust 13, 2015
I worked for Canada Post as a sub contractor for fourteen years. There are several different levels of time sensitive products which have to be dealt with on a daily basis. Customer service is paramount and you quickly realize that it takes a lot of people all working from the same playbook to successfully deliver the highest standard of service in a very competitive market.
There was always a great sense of community within and between the employees. Together we formed groups to fundraiser for disadvantaged children and former employees who had fallen on hard times.
I really enjoyed my time at Canada Post and when my contract was up in 2014 I moved back to Ireland.
Pros
Very stimulating, educational work envoiroment
Cons
Being outside on foot or driving in the Canadian winter can be stressfull
A great environment to work in and great place to work
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMarch 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Canada Post, the hours were long and I was able to work indoors and outdoors. I was able to develop my skills in customer service and with this position, was able to meet the many people that I delivered the mail to. I delivered mail, parcels and add mail to customers, including customer parcels witch required a signature for and proof of ID. The hardest thing I found was the standing while sorting the mail, as I would have to stand in the same place for long periods of time. What I loved about the job was being outdoors and being able to enjoy the nice weather once it had arrived. I leaned how to use a scanner, and was responsible for a set of community mailboxes. I was also trained to drive a left handed mail vehicle as all of the routes were rural and suburban routes.
Pros
Standing in one spot for long periods of time
Friendly enivronment
Post Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2016
Working at Canada post teaches you to learn new thing everyday. I believe life is learning process and everyday you learn something new. The typical day at work usually include handling postage to customers, up selling the coins and others promotional offers to customers. Assisting customer through customs, Delivering customers their parcels, Creating final notice reports for parcels and returns.Daily paper work and administrative work.The management team is very friendly and helpful to each other during the mail pick up time, it is usually business everyone cooperates with each other and work in fast pace, making customers happy.
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCSeptember 17, 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 12, 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
POSTAL CLERK (PO4) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2016
I work in City Finals which means this department sorts the mail to the letter carrier routes to whichever depot in the City of Edmonton. With Edmonton growing as it is, I get to learn more street names and where they are located so if asked for directions from someone I would be able to assist them. I am able to get alone with both the management and my co-workers. I find that working nights and trying to sleep during the day (especially in summer as it is brighter and warmer during the day) can be problematic but there are ways around that. The best part, I find, is getting the job done by getting the mail sorted to the letter carrier so that they can get the mail to our customer.
Pros
Seniority gives you the option for work placement
Cons
Possibility of being locked out and/or on strike whenever contract ends.
Fun, Fast Paced
Post Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valleyview, ABDecember 14, 2015
Excellent Employer, Flexible, Great Benefits, Just not a lot of room for advancement and tough to get transfers if needed
Sorting Mail
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2015
Currently sorting mail parcels and packets. Very good work ethic and team work.

Most enjoyable part of job is definitely customer service, along with communications/interactions.

Enjoy going that extra mile to make a difference to customers.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, People
Cons
High Injury
Most toxic environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 7, 2015
Worst company ever. Culture is stab everyone in the back. Management don't know what they are doing and treat people with disrespect and disdain. Don't believe the advertisement, they'll manage to pay you less and give you no benefits. They think they're doing you a favour. You can't trust anyone and they work you down to the bone. Worst experience of my life. Stay clear.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Workload; management; pay; toxic environment; culture; manipulation.
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
Great compensation and benefits
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 17, 2016
This career is perfect for someone in great shape, who has a great attitude and the ability to learn in a quick and fast paced environment. I felt that my educational background and people skills were not able to be utilized as most work was done individually or with very small groups. I was the youngest person in most depots and that had its pros and cons. i was transferred to canada post in BC and enjoyed the experience although i was needed at home in Brampton due to family obligations. So now looking for employment here closer to home.
Pros
great exercise while working
Cons
low senority
Bootcamp like environment
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2016
Supervisors are 'trained' to conduct themselves like a bootcamp environment. They will not take in consideration the employees opinions and suggestions. Upper management have no compassion for employees personal issues and will discipline regardless of situation. They do not allow employees to communicate amongst one another. They are told to go back to their work station to work. Do not follow health and safety regulations.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Do not care about employees
Toxic Work Environment at Calgary Plant CMPP
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2016
As the title specifies extremely toxic work environment. As a Canadian citizen I'm very disappointed with the horrible treatment here in the Calgary Plant. I have been discriminated on a daily basis because I am not Filipino and do not understand their native language they use in the workplace. 60 percent of employees in the plant are foreign workers from Philippines. Management is no better, as most of them do not treat you like a human being rather more like an animal especially the PCR Manager and Tech Services Manager. They take their aggression on postal clerks by making our work lives as miserable as possible for their own benefit. Management does not care about company or anything else except for themselves. Plant Director sits in his office watching TSN nearly everyday!

There are some co-workers who are great to work with as they understand the importance of working together and getting the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is I made some good friends along the way who I can trust to work with.
Pros
Unionized, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lousy Management, Strong Lazy Work Ethhics, Worker Discrimination and Harassment, NO DAY SHIFT
Temporary Letter Carrier
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 4, 2016
I would not recommend working as a temporary letter carrier. Your on call with no guarantee of work. You can go foe 1 month with no calls.

Avoid this place it is a very toxic work environment. Management lies and will do whatever they can to get away with things.

They are not to be trust many people get harrassed for silly things.
Pros
Pay 19.56 to start not worth it
Cons
Manager who will lie, imposssible to finish on time and get yelled at for bringing back mail and over time.