Canada Post Employee Reviews

Great Company to work with.
Rural Mail Carrier Replacement (Former Employee) –  Escuminac, QC14 January 2017
While working with Canada Post, I enjoyed my time I spent delivering the mail. Sorted the mail and readied everything for my route. The hours were very sufficient for the customers on my route. I delivered to approx. 4 communities within the time frame allotted.
Co-Workers were the best to work with. Very sufficient and took pride in their careers. Would very much love to work for this company again.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
Wintery Weather was not the best weather to work in.
No future for new hires
Mail Service Courier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
CPC could be a decent place to work but there is no future for drivers. They won't call you for weeks, then expect you to be available entire weeks getting only 4-5 hrs. in the heart of the day.
You have to work elsewhere to make money yet the hours at CPC don't work well for having a second job.
Older drivers never seem to quit and about half are only PT anyways. You would have to put up with a lot for many years just for PT.
I was hired a part of a class of 16. When I quit, that was it. All 16 were now gone.
They have to make this more attractive for casual employees to stay.
Pros
pay is decent and so are most coworkers
Cons
Bad data terminals which are overused for no good reason.
Good coworkers, punitive management
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 January 2017
I enjoyed eachone of my coworkers. I did not like the way in which management dealt with new carriers. I was put in a dangerous situation by management simple because they wanted to get mail out quickly. I was injured, then forced to report for work. even though I was not physically capable of completing any tasks associated with my job.
Pros
physically active
Cons
dangerous conditions in the winter
Busy fast paced.
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  BC3 January 2017
Every day is different. Every route is different. Letter mail and bulk are sorted into a case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, into the appropriate stops. Parcels are pdt scanned and numbered according to stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. Most co-workers are great. Some however feel the need to constantly powertrip and belittle others most days, with no consequences to their actions.
Pros
Working alone daily. Being outside. Working Mon-Fri.
Cons
Heavy lifting, oversized packages, weather, lots of flyers. Using your own vehicle.
Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
Productive with supportive co-workers and friendly atmosphere
Temporary on call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 December 2016
Fairly easy going as long you are well organized, you will learn a lot about how the mail system works and that there is much more to it than we see as consumers. Most co-workers are very friendly, supportive people that will do their utmost to help you succeed and get through the tough parts of the job. The hardest parts of the job are probably memorization of the various ways which you need to process mail dependent on circumstance and the adjustment to the physical demand on your body if you are a foot-walk letter carrier. There are many enjoyable aspects of the job from socialization to the work out it provides to the compensation and advancement opportunities, it all depends on your personality and what motivates you.
the walks were not organized large packages falling out on the ground
volume count (Former Employee) –  various stations16 December 2016
Most of the mail men were rude have no patience they were rushing you . You want to be accurate counting the mail these guys were not nice. Overall the job is good the money could be better especially when you have to be there so early in the morning.
Pros
You can do another job when you finish working
Cons
short shifts
constant change to meet customer needs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 October 2016
Canada Post prime focus is the parcel industry...letter mail volumes have decreased and NM has increased
Responsible for daily staffing, payroll
Provide support and knowledge in the delivery of products.
Address customer needs
Insure products meet the appropriate time frame
Firm believer of being a team player
Complete tasks within required time frame
Pros
Excellent support from do-workers
Cons
by choice work extra hours to complete tasks
Productive and Fun place to work
Mail Service Courier / Postal Clerk (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2016
Typical day is sorting of thousands of mail and meeting daily quota.
Able to rotate and learn other processing machinery. Management seek to make working environment conducive to work in. Me and my co-workers all get along which makes the environment comfortable. The hardest part of the job is that its a call on basis not much hours and the most enjoyable part of the job is working with my colleagues who are fantastic
Pros
Cons
Short hours
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
Busy Productive Place
Aministrative Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto31 December 2016
I learned,Federal Union Culture. Management is Partly Autocratic & Team Leaders. Co-workers are amazing & very very co-operative.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes need to walk in the plant for 3 to 4 hours & the most enjoyable part of the job is to work on Facer machines.
Pros
Free Benefits & Pension Plan
Cons
Long Hours
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 September 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
Busy and challenging place to work
RSMC - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Preeceville, SK17 January 2017
Canada Post offers excellent pay, benefits, and opportunity for advancement.
But you have to be flexible and prepared for any number of challenges during a day. The work requirements are high. High sales, high volume, and little room for error.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Unpaid hours when work loads get high
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
A job/career that has kept me in fit shape both physically and mentally .
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 October 2016
I truly enjoyed almost every single day that I spent at the post office. My best memories were the many years that I was a letter carrier. Winter , spring , summer , and fall.
Pros
working outdoors and delivery mail and parcels.
Cons
Some very long and challenging days in deep snow and hard rain days.
Canada Post Jobs
Letter Carrier / MSC Driver / Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
In the beginning working for Canada Post in hard work and long hours. But once you get used to it the work gets easier and you get faster the days do get shorter and you learn to love it. Most people are very nice to you and you look forward to the walk and seeing customers.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
you are a number
the union is amazing but management is not
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 December 2016
a typical wrk day is good depending on if management is in a bad mood or decides to pick on you or not, always go into a meeting with a union rep present, never alone they will pick on you 10x more.
Pros
good pay, great hours, being outside
Cons
never trust management they will throw you under the bus
Enjoyable and Healthy Work Environment
Mail Plant Labourer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2016
The work itself and co-workers are great. Best job i've had yet. The only downsides are that my position is on-call and I don't receive nearly as many hours as I would like to. Would definitely work here full-time and year-round if only I could.
Pros
The Work itself.
Cons
Very few actual hours.
Great project job
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 January 2017
The job was a project job which was a few weeks long. The role was to count the number of pieces of mail that came through the specific geographical area in order to assess the number of staff and rural mailboxes needed. The staff were amazing and outgoing and I made good friends during that time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Wonderful outdoor, people friendly environment.
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2016
Great to be working outside and to be dealing with the public on a daily basis. I truly enjoy this job. The sorting and the time at the depot can be a bit boring but at the same time hectic. The true joy of this job is being outside, delivering door to door and meeting the customers along your route.