Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Postal Clerk / Letter Carrier
Postal Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2013
Pros: wage
Cons: harrassment
Pros: Canada Post provide great compensation to employees

Cons:
1. Just because you are hired does not mean you will be working.
Most employees with seniority less than 1.5 years are most likely benched (In GTA), which means that you will not be making any money.
2. You have to stay as a temporary employee for at least 4 ~ 5 years before you become a part-time employee. Temporary employees do not have any benefit, vacation pay, nor sick leave. You cannot even take vacation without pay without approval from your supervisors, even if you book the vacation a month ahead.
3. People think Canada Post employees automatically receive 7 weeks of vacation as soon as they are hired. Canada Post employees are entitled to have 4 weeks of vacation (~20 hrs paid/week) if they gain part-time status (again... it will take around 4~5 years).
4. Management staffs are uneducated. Most management employees, including supervisors, superintendent, and managers are fresh off the street, without any corporate knowledge. Usually they are just high school graduates and rarely college graduates.
Most of them lack ethics and morals. This is because Canada Post has strong military background system, where it is norm to abuse employees. Bullying at work does not always mean that it shall involve physical abusement. In Canada Post, most supervisors lack management skills, and since they are very unethical and uneducated, they tend to abuse their power. Since they have the title "Supervisor", they will boss around employees as if they are an officer in military. They will give direct orders that does not – more... comply with corporate regulations. If you refuse to accept their direct order, you will get into formal interview, where you will have interview with two supervisors who are very biased towards you. Management, regardless if you think they are nice or not, will never be on employee's side, thus, even if you did nothing wrong, they will falsify information. False accusation will most likely occur, which will eventually lead to termination of your employment.
5. Supervisors are just another people in union. If you are a postal clerk or letter carrier, being a supervisor does not necessarily mean you are advancing into higher level. I have BSC and CGA certification, and in order to get into the accountant position in Canada Post, I decided to start from the bottom of the chain, in order to gain knowledge with regard to how the corporate system works. However, management tend to hire people who lacks management skills and deep knowledge in postal system; thus, making them easier to accept whatever that is taught by managers (Abusing system). If you are smarter than management staffs, most likely, you will not be promoted. – less
Productivity after Productivity
Supervisor, Collection and Delivery (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: interact with business and home owners
Cons: long hours
My typical day starts from 600 am to 1400 hrs, but that can depend on your management if we have staff shortages, we have to do outside job as well. Getting mail and parcels out is very challenging specially in a strong union environment. Challenging Unions in their productivity is I like about my job. Stress level is very high, because you are bombarded with different problems and work which are outside your scope. The management can sometimes change your work schedule which is causing lots of stress to supervisor and staff. Dealing with customers and staff is enjoying. In my job you also deal with health and safety of employees which means dealing with WCB, labor law and canadian health and safety practice, staffing around 150 employees in a depot, dealing with pay, union grievances, discipline, security of mail, customer inquiries, dealing with money and customs, accidents on the roads, dealing with edmonton bylaw which can include icy sidewalks, dogs drug houses and angry house owners. You also deal with disability management and return back to work for employees who are sick or injured, you also deal with different forms of modifications request. You also deal with Benchmark and targets like number of hours worked, scanning reports and financial reports. Lots of road work like measuring the distance between mail box and sidewalk so that letter carriers gets paid accordingly. There are also different projects. Due to email and text message Canada post is going down hill fast. Rumor's of Job cuts and working 3 or 4 days in a week is just around the corner.
Little advancement opportunities and very toxic environment
Post Office Assistant (Current Employee), Forest, ONNovember 18, 2015
Pros: close proximity to my house, decent hourly rate
Cons: hiring practice 2 new hires on same day, 1st entered into system gains seniority over the second despite work knowledge or performance.
The various roles I have worked have been challenging and rewarding. Many people within the organization are fun and friendly
However, the general work environment is extremely toxic as many leaders within individual post offices are poorly educated and/or limited in their exposure to real world work force. Many leaders within Canada Post have been with the company since high school. With little to no additional training. Cliques form within the regions as people hire friends to work with.
Coming into the Post Office from other work environments it has been impossible to break into the office clique as I am seen as an outsider. My additional skill set and work experience goes completely under utilized.
The union has their "hands tied" due to politics and double speak.
Seniority between myself and another employee hired on the same day is determined on the employee number. So the other employee has had seniority over me since day one, despite work performance or knowledge. This allows for all shifts to be taken ahead of me and all additional shifts to be offered to the other employee. My role is essentially as a back up person in case someone is sick or off on vacation. Attempts to relocate as per the union rules was stifled due to "misunderstanding" by a new Supervisor. Thus allowing a new employee to essentially have seniority over my position.
Poor organization, poor execution and poor leadership.
Repetitive job in a variety of weather conditions with no benefits.
RSMC Helper, RSMC Assistant, RSMC Replacement (Former Employee), Lively, ONMarch 22, 2014
Pros: choose your breaks, fresh air, done work early occasionally.
Cons: repetitive, working in winter weather, use your own vehicle, no benefits
Started work in the morning at around 8 to 9 am in the morning. Sorted mail for rural mail route into a sorting case to be delivered to customers and organized mail into bundles for over 750 houses.Scanned and organized parcels for delivery. Loaded mail, flyers and various sized parcels into vehicle for delivery.Delivered mail, parcels, flyers and magazines into rural mailboxes and community mailbox sites on an approximate 35 kilometer route. Delivered parcels to customers houses and collected money and signatures if required.Worked in all weather conditions.Learned to complete tasks assigned effectively, efficiently and on time. Learned to understand instructions and communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.Learned to give extra effort and time to get a job done. Co-workers were very sociable and understanding and wanted to get the job done just as much as you wanted to, The hardest part of the job was working in the winter and during the Christmas rush in late November and December and also the job was very repetitious. The most enjoyable part was the light work days during the summer when the weather was dry and not stormy or raining. Another enjoyable thing was you could be done work earlier. Lastly, seeing the joy when customers got their parcels earlier than expected and seeing the elation on their faces.
Extremely Challenging Environment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
Pros: good wage & benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons: mostly graveyard shifts, employee disrespect
The most demanding position I have ever had.

I learned a lot about the entire mail processing system including maintenance and prime operation or speed. I also learned how poor performance in one area can seriously affect the ability of another area to achieve objectives. An example would be that employees in one area do not get the mail dispatched in time and it does not make it on the truck which takes it to the airport then we lose an enormous amount of money and we will not meet the delivery standards. This in turn affects daily goals, which affects yearly goals and will affect any potential bonuses.

Management communicated mail processing objectives at an escalated level each and every day. This caused many employee grievances, work stoppages, walk offs, employees claiming sick because they were overworked, employees threatened Supervisors, hurt Supervisors physically and used every intimidation tactic they could think of. Some employees were brave enough to threaten and intimidate Managers, Directors and Operations Managers.

I certainly learned a lot more about unionized employees, the contracts and how hard it is to discipline employees and or terminate employees. It certainly assisted with my interview and written skills as I was always writing some document related to employee discipline and conducting disciplinary interviews.
Political Nightmare - Terrible Management CEO, SVP, Directors, Mgrs
Engineering (Current Employee), Toronto-Vancouver-MontrealSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Little to none
Cons: Selling your soul
If you can make it here you can make it anywhere, even in the lake of fire.

- ONLY HARD WORKERS ARE THE ENGINEERS. AMEN.
- Watch out for other DECEPTIVE ENGINEERS who work with the manager's $$$ and will throw you under the bus in a new york minute
- Project Directors/Directors create problems in any project and leech off the company funding while everyone involved in the projects keeps getting gets their cozy salary
- Directors have little to no knowledge of any of the work under them yet chase after the credit like dogs
- Department Management THRIVE OFF pointing fingers after issues arise instead of working together to resolve issues and move forward
- Engineers spend 90% of their time updating management and being administrative pets, such a shame and waste of creativity
- Mind numbing, moral depleting, soul sucking environment

CPC Projects:
1) Never completed
2) Directors create self inflected wounds and their middle manager puppets lick up the wounds...That is their Management scope
3) Always results in a big rotten mess with finger pointing

- Environment is rotten, eats away at your creativity and motivation
- Too many corporate fingers durrtying the pot in any project

CEO Deepak Chopra unsure if he has 22 or 25 VP's. He's the Stephen Harper of Canada Post. You can see where the company money gets distributed.
Great job
Letter Carrier/Inside Assistant (Former Employee), Port Alberni, BCSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: excellent work hours & working conditions, good benefits, fair wage
Cons: weather conditions
- typical day consisted of sorting parcels to all letter carrier tubs; pick up, sort and bundle mail & parcels on various routes preparatory to delivery by letter carriers; emptying and distributing monotainers of boxed circulars to applicable work-sites ; input of Change of Address & Hold data & distribution to applicable personnel; updating Route Measurement information.
- have learned skills to facilitate a team approach to the work environment; communication skills; health & safety procedures; organization skills; use of manual & electric operated equipment & leadership techniques.
-ongoing management changes has provided opportunities to work effectively with multiple managing styles.
-interacting in a positive, respectful, team oriented manner with co-workers has resulted in increased productivity, a supportive work environment which encourages creative solutions to workplace challenges and an atmosphere that promotes inclusive &
harmonious work relations.
-hardest part of the job was contractual restrictions in prohibiting workers crossing over job categories to help fellow employees when needed.
-most enjoyable part of the job was working with co-workers & customers and knowing you have made a positive impact.
Very comfortable and independent work space
RSMC (Former Employee), Canmore, ABMay 19, 2014
My typical day at Canada Post would be arriving at 7am Monday through Friday. Upon arrival I would organize parcels for my route in the order to which I delivered them. Then I would Scan each parcel and upload the information. I would gather the mail allotted for my route and begin the sorting process. Which depending on the day could take up to 3 hours. Once that was completed I would pull my mail in the order of delivery and organized the parcels and mail in my vehicle. I was off to delivery. For the next 3 hours I was delivering mail to community mailboxes as well as businesses. Parcels which required signatures I would deliver to the customer door.

It's a very independent job as I was on my own for the majority of the day. I learned that being organized was very important, it could make or break your day if something happened to be out of place.

The hardest part of the job was the long cold winter and being outside in extreme cold.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work independently and having a mix of fast paced days as well as more relaxed days.

Management was very supportive and very informative on new policies in the ongoing changes that occurred at Canada Post.
My co-workers were a great bunch of people who I enjoyed seeing on a daily basis. Working in such closed quarters we got to know each other very well.
productive but the company is to political and the supervisors aren't professional
mail carrier (Current Employee), everywhere on the west side of montrealJuly 16, 2014
Pros: circulars are paid
Cons: forced overtime
- i learned that it pays well but really disorganized company.
-your just a number at post canada.. nobody cares about you besides themselves.. especially when it comes to supervisors… Some do there job properly but some are just there to do there 7am-3pm shift and then leave at the end of the day… Every supervisor
(except a few) are lazy, they don't do there job properly, there miserable.. i might of had a bad experience but the way i see it, if someone needs advice, YOUR ON YOUR OWN..
documents are lost or not sent at the right time and then u look like a liar in the end… nobody ever wants to admit that there wrong or they always point at someone else but themselves..
- Co-workers are fun to work with… you have the few that just don't care but most part, there fun to work with…
- Hardest part of the job is the winter
- The most enjoyable part of the job is that u get to work outdoors and your paid well but money isn't always the best way to go..
- You don't have a full time position until 2years minimum
- Your always on call so you never know if your gonna work or not.. they could call u by day or every thursday.. u gotta be available between 6am-11am incase they call u to go to work.. if they don't then u just wasted your day
Good exercise
Letter Carrier (former) (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 9, 2014
Pros: outdoor work, some good coworkers
Cons: forced overtime, poor management
I worked here for almost eight years,if you like interoffice politics,childish gossip,poor unsupportive management,disorganization,equipment that is unrealible,constant harassment etc..... then this is your job.You may have good benefits and pension (if its available when you retire) but you will have to jump through a lot of hoops to reap any kind of rewards.The pay per hour is ok considering the weight and miles you walk personally I WOULD NOT do this job for any less then $25 an hour and that is being generous, the new hires are being paid $19 an hour (what an insult).Management and letter carriers are like dogs fighting over a bone and this has developed over many years of the corporation and the union in fighting and the workers unfortunately have to pay the price.It always seemed to me because you are a member of the union you had a target on your back for the most part everyone was painted with the same brush no matter how well you did your job.The general public would be absolutely be disgusted if they knew how people are treated at Canada Post.The one thing I enjoyed was being on my own in the day time outdoors and meeting a lot of great people on your route.
Hard work
On-Call Rural Suburban Mail Carrier (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 5, 2014
Pros: decent pay & unsupervised work environment
Cons: extremely long hours for new employees!
+Arrive at Depot between 4:30a & 5:30a.
+Sort Mail for 5 or 6 hours
+Deliver Out all Mail, Parcels, & Required Signatures
+The job itself gets better in time. It can take being with the company for months or over a year to develop speed that gets the mail sorted within 2 to 3 hours & based on the size of the route, delivered in 3 to 4 hours
+Aside from wind, rain, snow, & below temperatures, the most difficult part of the job is the hours spent grasping the ins and outs
+Really challenging for new staff
+They do not have proper *new trainee* support
+But Canada Post will assign an experienced employee who will then allow the new staff to shadow with him for 3 days maximum and then the new person is then on their own
+Shuffled around weekly sometimes daily on different routes can be a challenge for a new employee
+Use your own vehicle
+Wear & tear on your vehicle
+No reimbursement for gas, only on kilometers
+I learn to appreciate my mail when I see it in the box
+Management & staff there are very supportive and will cheer you on!
Canada Post should advertise Looking for pack mules not delivery agents
Former Letter Carrier (Former Employee), Edmonton,AlbertaNovember 17, 2013
Pros: decent pay and benifits
Cons: long hours, benifits don't kick in till your perm, carry lots of weight, no time for your personal life or family.
This company does NOT care about its employees or their family's. I worked there for 7 years and saw a lot of good hard workers get crapped on by Canada Post and quit. Canada Post only cares about one thing and that is money and how they can make more. In the past year I seen good people quit and not have any other job lined up, just so they didn't have to put up with the Canada Post. They make you carry more then 35 pounds I carried 172lb at time in my satchel at time. Flyer mean more then mail to them as it worth more money to them. If you work there be aware that you will not have time for you personal life or family as Canada Post wants you to stay out until all the mail is deliver and parcels as well, They can force you into overtime even if you don't want to do any and also if you have overtime on the walk you are on you have to fight for your overtime pay. If you work there GOOD LUCK. I am glad I QUIT!!!
Canada Post Corporation AMMP Project
Asset Maintenance Management Project $25M (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 24, 2013
Pros: great mix of seasoned employees with new employees with fresh ideas.
Cons: getting all teams to aligned & doing their work.
A smaller project compared to the huge Postal Transformation but interesting as changing the culture of the Maintenance Department within Canada Post. Was able to work with my speciality which was the spare parts required by maintenance to maintain the equipment. A typical day consisted of working with large spreadsheets and using VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables to build the Bill of Materials for each type of equipment.

The project was fun as it had the support from all levels of management and was sorely need to replace the old mainframe system.

The co-workers were great and the hardest part of the project was getting the Master Equipment List for each site finalized and approved. The most enjoyable part of the project was learning the power of VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables which greatly reduced the amount of time required to build the Bill of Materials.
Canada Post
Contractor/ Ergonomic Assistant (Former Employee), Palmerston OntarioJanuary 1, 2015
A typical day at work would include sorting and distributing letter mail and parcel packages. Would deliver the mail to all customers on rural routes. While working with Canada Post I learned how to work under pressure and show complete focus, I learned how to work well with Customers, most importantly learned how to be dedicated. In terms of management, I found the managers at Canada Post to be professional, understanding, helpful and dedicated to their jobs and employees. My co-workers were nothing but friendly and helpful with things on and off the job. I was able to form friendships that remain intact with people I had the pleasure of working with there. The hardest part of the job would have to be the weather conditions at times. Because I delivered to rural area customers, the road conditions could be somewhat frightening at times. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people I got to work with and meet, and the atmosphere of the workplace.
Overall a very good place to work.
Retail Clerk (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 27, 2012
Pros: air conditioned, clean environment, good health & safety, good wages and benefits.
Cons: sometimes a toxic work environment, which you had to rise abovel
A retail clerk would sell the products that Canada Post offered, sometimes track down specific requests, (for instance, last year's coins, stamps, etc.), help customers with their change of address, sell P.O. Boxes, ship out mail at the end of the shift, etc. My co-workers were generally pleasant and professional. Some of my supervisors were excellent to work for, others not so much. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay busy when no customers were coming in, since I worked in a small town with few customers and there were only so many shelves to stock. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to track down some difficult to obtain special product for a customer and seeing how pleased they were with my efforts. Unfortunately, the company itself didn't have a very good management-union rapport.
Rural Safety Officer
Safety Officer (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: good salary and benefits. good management allowing me to make decisions, yet always there to help if needed.
Cons: continous days and nights away from home. my life balance was out of balance.
My last position with Canada Post was Rural Safety Officer. I joined the project team in Jan, 2008, learning a totally new job. I incorporated many of my skills in to this position such as being decisive, dependable, team oriented, credible, and always upgrading my knowledge base. On a typical day, I may do updating of information, field several client complaints, make decisions on knowledge and policy, travel many miles and respond to employee concerns. I can prioritize, and delegate as the need arises. I work well with people and have a good sense of humor.

The hardest part of my job was leaving Canada Post, but knowing that I wanted to leave at the top of my game. It was time.
I certainly enjoyed the people I worked with, they were a large part of my day with Canada Post.
Challenge & Teaming are great things about Canada Post
Postal worker or Management (Former Employee), Burlington, Oakville, MississaugaOctober 31, 2015
Pros: Great exercise, dealing with challenge
Cons: Big corporation sometimes downsize or restructure
Work is your home for many hours so have a positive outlook, laughs, motivate people by your words and actions. Teaming is so important to the dynamics of a work environment. Show respect, kindness and support and you will receive this back from your Team.

Challenge yourself and your fellow workers to be more productive, what a great feeling when you have accomplished something. Special meaning to "Love my Job". I always have been challenged and empowered myself to be a top performer along with my Team.

Teaming exercising, plan a day to meet their families, makes a huge difference. Have Bar-B-Q days or bowling in the Winter months, even curling for the first time.

You can plan on longer work days if you socialize with your Team, and say after "what a great Team I have !
Great people, great benefits
Letter Carrier (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: lots of exercise
Cons: can be physically strenuous during peak times
A typical day at work involves 3 hours of sorting/prepping mail and parcels for delivery, followed by 5 hours of on street work. Depending on the route, there may be on foot delivery, park and go delivery, community mailboxes or any combination of the three. On my current route I have post office clearances and commercial pick ups as well.

The hurried nature of the business allowed me to improve my organizational skills and well as keep physically fit.

The hardest part of the job comes during winter holiday season. The high volume of mail and parcels combined with dangerous walking and driving conditions presents added challenges. During the summer, however, the outdoor exercise is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. You really get to know your customers as you see them around the neighbourhood frequently.
A business that is spending a lot of time, money and effort on the wrong things they need to develop to grow their business
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: decent money, good benefits and a pension
Cons: night work and poor environment to work and be productive in
A typical day at work as a full time postal clerk is now at least in the area I worked in (Kitchener) is now a night position.

I learned the way the mail process works and the problems that Canada Post needs to focus on to improve.

The direct supervisors are genuinely decent people for the most part but are not well supported for the job they have to do.

Upper management seems to have forgotten that the way to prosperity for this business is in customer service and customer satisfaction

My co-workers for the most part were good people working to support their families.

The hardest part of the job is watching the company I once was proud to represent become lost from it's purpose.
Great place to work, sometimes it's a pain
Ergonomic Assistant (Former Employee), Shubenacadie, NSMay 10, 2015
Pros: You're often back by the afternoon and therefore get to go home!
Cons: Sometimes you have to go out in bad weather.
Canada Post is certainly a decent place to work. Like all jobs though, it can be a pain.
Your typical day starts at around 7:15. You show up to work and start taking mail and parcels back to be sorted at your table that have been sorted to your route. Usually there isn't a lot of mail unless there had been a holiday or it's Christmas time so you get out pretty fast. Then the rest of the job happens; delivering the mail. The route I worked with generally took 2-5 hours depending on how much mail there was. I gained a lot of appreciation for the people who deliver the mail!
One of the people things about the job has to be the co-workers. Everyone is so friendly and caring, almost like a big family! Sadly you only get to see everybody in the morning during sorting time.
Headquarters