Canada Post Employee Reviews

Very fast paced and often not enough hours to accomplish all duties that are required.
Depot Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2017
Canada Post offers a great benefits and pension package. Salaries at Canada Post are also very competitive. The job as a depot Supervisor is one of the busiest and most stressful jobs within the corporation as they are sandwiched between a unionized force and upper management--each seemingly with their own agenda at times.

However, in saying all of that, if you are able to find that happy medium, this job can actually be very fulfilling and obviously provides very comfortably financially.
Pros
Pay, benefits, pension
Cons
stressful, over worked
Busy Productive Place
Aministrative Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto31 December 2016
I learned,Federal Union Culture. Management is Partly Autocratic & Team Leaders. Co-workers are amazing & very very co-operative.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes need to walk in the plant for 3 to 4 hours & the most enjoyable part of the job is to work on Facer machines.
Pros
Free Benefits & Pension Plan
Cons
Long Hours
Productive with supportive co-workers and friendly atmosphere
Temporary on call Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 December 2016
Fairly easy going as long you are well organized, you will learn a lot about how the mail system works and that there is much more to it than we see as consumers. Most co-workers are very friendly, supportive people that will do their utmost to help you succeed and get through the tough parts of the job. The hardest parts of the job are probably memorization of the various ways which you need to process mail dependent on circumstance and the adjustment to the physical demand on your body if you are a foot-walk letter carrier. There are many enjoyable aspects of the job from socialization to the work out it provides to the compensation and advancement opportunities, it all depends on your personality and what motivates you.
Fun place to work with good people, pay, and benefits, but very demanding job
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
I had a lot of fun working with Canada Post. I met some great people working there however the job itself is very demanding. The pay is good and you get great benefits after a 480 hour probationary period, however It is not for everybody, especially in the beginning when you are a casual/on call employee. You just have to tough it out to make part time/full time and get your own route. I found the worst part was having to work a new route every assignment, and having to deliver mail from morning till night in freezing winter temperatures with supervisors breathing over your shoulder complaining about you doing too much overtime. This made it very stressful at times but if you are up to the challenge this is a great job for you.
Pros
Good people, good pay, benefits
Cons
Demanding job, long hours, working outdoors(in the winter), high expectations from supervisors
Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
Fast Paced Work Environment
Mail Delivery Agent (Casual Employee) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 March 2017
Physically demanding work environment. Most of the time you will be working outdoors interacting with customers while delivering their mail or parcels. If you enjoy walking and being outdoors in any weather condition then this is really an excellent place to work.
Pros
Fast Paced, Time management
Cons
Long Hours, outdoors in any type of weather condition
Busy and challenging place to work
RSMC - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Preeceville, SK17 January 2017
Canada Post offers excellent pay, benefits, and opportunity for advancement.
But you have to be flexible and prepared for any number of challenges during a day. The work requirements are high. High sales, high volume, and little room for error.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Unpaid hours when work loads get high
long hours, very busy
rsmc suburban and rural mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 January 2017
organizing mail, preparing packages
learned how to prioritize and work fast
management was good, went through a few managers while I was there.
people I worked with were great
standing on the concrete floor for hours
the people I worked with
Pros
was left alone to work by myself
Best place for benefits
Industrial/Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
Best benefits package, join if you can find permanent job. Contract workers are not treated equally, no training for contract employees, high level of politics.
Pros
Best package
Cons
Job is not secure
Flexible to my Schedule, independent and attention to detail work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mount Forest, ON3 February 2017
This is a job that needs to have attention to detail, and make sure you are comfortable driving in all weather conditions. The management and fellow employees are easy to work with and are very helpful when things are confusing or not easily understandable.

The hardest part of this job is learning how each office works and what their little quirks are. Saying that, each office has their own individual persons working there that make it their own work space and it's about accommodating yourself to their surroundings, with everyone having the same outcome of delivering the mail.
Professional, striving to improve
Delivery Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2017
Great company to work for lots of room for growth and advancement.
Work days were constantly different, great opportunity to develop professional skills under a high pressure environment.
Pros
Salary, benifits
Cons
Union
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  wonderland23 February 2017
I wish I could be accepted to work there and be able to lift my career could have been better for my future and more salery.
hope for the better
Pros
free lunch
driving around the countryside
Rural Service Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AB28 February 2017
A typical day at work began with: help unload the mail, sort and box for delivery. Deliver to school, town, and rural farms. Pick up mail at designated stops, return to base and unload mail.
Took required courses for driver safety and irate customer handling, dog awareness, and general safety.
Great coworker, and management not on site. Safety is stressed.
The hardest part was finding people to deliver to for signed parcels on farms in the spring.
The best part was driving around the countryside, seeing the wildlife and the seasons change, with great photo opportunities.
Pros
no weekends, great hours.
Cons
Hours can get long at christmas rush. Routes can be cut.
Technical Service
Electronics Specialist - Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 March 2017
Work load or work order could be light or could be heavy depending what broke down or if parts are available.
Preventive and corrective maintenance task are scheduled sometimes with more than enough personnel or not enough work order.

Management is well rather slow to change or hampered by communication from head office to individual processing plant. Local technical service manager seems to luck people oriented rapport or team building enthusiasm and appears not to have a feel for the job.
Workplace could be fun but lack a driven attitude. The manager projects a non-driven attitude. It is possible the manager is rather slow to adapt to the new environment or overwhelmed with the work.
Advancement of technician is based on seniority, passing a written exam and passing an interview on most cases. The odd time an oral exam could be done by the manager.

CEO and Union not on the same page.
To add a revenue stream by offering a banking service, CEO does not approve of it despite the examples of other countries making it a successful form of customer service and a new source of revenue.
CEO too adversarial and would rather reduced employees benefits and needs and advancement to collect his ample bonuses.
The current government of Canada would be glad to terminate this CEO once his contract expired or bought out. CEO more inclined to privatized CPC and sold it for example to Pit Bows, Fedex or UPS or DHL etc.

CPC is a public service and should remain under Canadian government. Future privatisation schemes are in the works behind the scene to reduce employees and break
  more... the union.  less
Pros
New plant, good vacation
Cons
Poor management enthusiasm of technician
structure and process driven company
Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
Canada Post is an excellent company to work for, they have competitive wages and good job security, with lots of opportunity for advancement. In my 11 years with Canada Post I held 6 different positions.
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
great benefits
Superviseur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2016
Great place to work outside management. Unfortunately existing management. Harassment and favouritism comes to play within management group (Montreal ) as for it`s policies and work environment as a company I do consider it a top company to work for.
Pros
great benefits along with good working conditions
Cons
be aware of favouritism if advancement is what you are looking for
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
Toxic Work Environment at Calgary Plant CMPP
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
As the title specifies extremely toxic work environment. As a Canadian citizen I'm very disappointed with the horrible treatment here in the Calgary Plant. I have been discriminated on a daily basis because I am not Filipino and do not understand their native language they use in the workplace. 60 percent of employees in the plant are foreign workers from Philippines. Management is no better, as most of them do not treat you like a human being rather more like an animal especially the PCR Manager and Tech Services Manager. They take their aggression on postal clerks by making our work lives as miserable as possible for their own benefit. Management does not care about company or anything else except for themselves. Plant Director sits in his office watching TSN nearly everyday!

There are some co-workers who are great to work with as they understand the importance of working together and getting the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is I made some good friends along the way who I can trust to work with.
Pros
Unionized, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lousy Management, Strong Lazy Work Ethhics, Worker Discrimination and Harassment, NO DAY SHIFT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Post. Our community is ready to answer.