Canada Post Employee Reviews in Canada

this summary is mostly in reference to dollarama and clothing closet....rewarding and productive
Ergo helper to deliver mail (Current Employee) –  staples and woodsleeMarch 27, 2016
challenging between setting up appointments for clients and having to maintain shelves n store and deal with customers. responsibility at a high level when it came to opening and closing store and making sure money and employees are safe. management is there to help with all concerns related to customers and employees. hardest part of these jobs was to take a disorganized state n make it organized so that every day was made a little easier but that is also the reward. rewards come in a form of accomplishment when faced with a challenging task along with the fact that I could help others in the meantime.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
occasional long hours
Good job , enjoyable at times
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Your day would start be sorting your mail and parcels to be delivered ,you would put the mail in order of travel to be delivered .
Management is not very good , very bullying and controlling . People who couldn't make it as lettercarriers have been made managers .
My co workers were great they totally made the job fun and enjoyable I made a lot of good friends at work .
Winter conditions made the job harder , slip trips and falls are common . If you did hurt yourself at work you would often have to make up a story of how you went over on your ankle for instance because it just doesn't happen you must have done something to come to that injury . Who hasn't just went over on an ankle at one time or another and when you walk 9 miles a day it happens .
Very good benefits and holidays , the best part of the job was all the people I delivered to .
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Bad management, forced over time .
Friendly enivronment
Post Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2016
Working at Canada post teaches you to learn new thing everyday. I believe life is learning process and everyday you learn something new. The typical day at work usually include handling postage to customers, up selling the coins and others promotional offers to customers. Assisting customer through customs, Delivering customers their parcels, Creating final notice reports for parcels and returns.Daily paper work and administrative work.The management team is very friendly and helpful to each other during the mail pick up time, it is usually business everyone cooperates with each other and work in fast pace, making customers happy.
A great environment to work in and great place to work
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMarch 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Canada Post, the hours were long and I was able to work indoors and outdoors. I was able to develop my skills in customer service and with this position, was able to meet the many people that I delivered the mail to. I delivered mail, parcels and add mail to customers, including customer parcels witch required a signature for and proof of ID. The hardest thing I found was the standing while sorting the mail, as I would have to stand in the same place for long periods of time. What I loved about the job was being outdoors and being able to enjoy the nice weather once it had arrived. I leaned how to use a scanner, and was responsible for a set of community mailboxes. I was also trained to drive a left handed mail vehicle as all of the routes were rural and suburban routes.
Pros
Standing in one spot for long periods of time
Serving/Selling Postal Services to general public and businesses,
Postal Clerk/Acting Postmistress (Former Employee) –  Morrisburg, ONDecember 2, 2015
Interesting fun place to work with very helpful and cooperative Office Management and co-workers. Personal growth and developement and putting other peoples concerns first. Not just about numbers and politics. A fair bit of red tape but to be expected with companies of this caliber and size. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people from all walks of life and working and learning from my co-workers. Ensuring correct and proper solutions to the publics concerns and complaints were met with approval and acceptance to them.
The people make it a joy to come to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 26, 2016
Opportunity to work in a variety of job positions. A happy atmosphere - always music playing. A high intensity, fast paced environment but never a feeling of overbearing pressure.
Pros
Good wage and benefits
Cons
Little chance for advancement
Secure employment with reasonable compensation but negative workplace culture.
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 30, 2015
A very secure place to work once you achieve permanent status, which is not so easy to achieve now. Reasonably good pay and benefits and and working conditions. Enviable job security and an indexed pension. Some safety issues for external workers in particular. Above average paid leave provisions.
Very little incentive for improvement; poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Unmotivated employees are allowed to drag the organization down. Poor labor relations.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, indexed pensions, job security, paid leaves.
Cons
Very little incentive for improvement, poor organizational commitment of the average employee. Poor labour relations.
Great compensation and benefits
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 17, 2016
This career is perfect for someone in great shape, who has a great attitude and the ability to learn in a quick and fast paced environment. I felt that my educational background and people skills were not able to be utilized as most work was done individually or with very small groups. I was the youngest person in most depots and that had its pros and cons. i was transferred to canada post in BC and enjoyed the experience although i was needed at home in Brampton due to family obligations. So now looking for employment here closer to home.
Pros
great exercise while working
Cons
low senority
Productive and stimulating workplace
sub contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, OntarioAugust 13, 2015
I worked for Canada Post as a sub contractor for fourteen years. There are several different levels of time sensitive products which have to be dealt with on a daily basis. Customer service is paramount and you quickly realize that it takes a lot of people all working from the same playbook to successfully deliver the highest standard of service in a very competitive market.
There was always a great sense of community within and between the employees. Together we formed groups to fundraiser for disadvantaged children and former employees who had fallen on hard times.
I really enjoyed my time at Canada Post and when my contract was up in 2014 I moved back to Ireland.
Pros
Very stimulating, educational work envoiroment
Cons
Being outside on foot or driving in the Canadian winter can be stressfull
Great people to work with and find work life balance
Postal clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Canada Post Corporation has been serving Canadians and people around the world since 1867. Feels great to be part of Canadian Heritage. At the moment I am employed as casual, on call evenings and weekend shift. Typical shift runs between 6 to 8 hours, where I am assigned to one of over 25 sections of the plant with minimum of 12 persons per section. Mostly mail comes to the plant as bulk and each work area sorts out particular type of mail, i.e. publications, business correspondence, letter mail, parcels, packages or packets. We scan, label and sort incoming or out going mail, feed mail to sorting machines and tag, label filled bins or skids of parcels then pass finished items to forklift operators to send those items to their perspective destination. So far have worked with hundreds of co-workers in rotating assignments, we get alone very well and often times share lunch with each other. Our supervisors are always on hand to help us if there is any issue or help is needed. So far its been over a year working for Canada Post and I wish there were more hours available to work.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
not enough hours
Most toxic environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 7, 2015
Worst company ever. Culture is stab everyone in the back. Management don't know what they are doing and treat people with disrespect and disdain. Don't believe the advertisement, they'll manage to pay you less and give you no benefits. They think they're doing you a favour. You can't trust anyone and they work you down to the bone. Worst experience of my life. Stay clear.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Workload; management; pay; toxic environment; culture; manipulation.
Good pay and benefits
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier-RSMC (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONDecember 22, 2015
The job involves sorting letters and parcels and get them ready for delivery. Once you get your own route the job gets routine and easier but when you first start the job is tough, especially if you have to manually sort all the mail. Nowadays, they started to convert to machine sorted sequenced mail and that helps a lot the start-ups who have to cover different routes at any given day.

Also, working with flyers is hard. If you get several flyers for a day, you have to collate them and that takes up to 2-3 hours after you come back from delivery. I would say the flyers are the toughest part of the job.

Other than that, the pay is good and you get various benefits, and 3 weeks of paid vacation plus 5 paid sick days which is very good.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
working with flyers
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 12, 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
POSTAL CLERK (PO4) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2016
I work in City Finals which means this department sorts the mail to the letter carrier routes to whichever depot in the City of Edmonton. With Edmonton growing as it is, I get to learn more street names and where they are located so if asked for directions from someone I would be able to assist them. I am able to get alone with both the management and my co-workers. I find that working nights and trying to sleep during the day (especially in summer as it is brighter and warmer during the day) can be problematic but there are ways around that. The best part, I find, is getting the job done by getting the mail sorted to the letter carrier so that they can get the mail to our customer.
Pros
Seniority gives you the option for work placement
Cons
Possibility of being locked out and/or on strike whenever contract ends.
much opportunity to gain new skills
Resource Officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 5, 2015
This large company allowed me many opportunities to learn and grown my skill set. I enjoyed the fast pace and daily challenges that come from an environment that requires immediate daily completion of tasks as well as long term planning. The various duties of a depot Superintendent, for example, allowed me to explore people management, health and safety, fleet management, customer service and many more aspects of daily business. It provided varied tasks and challenges and there was always something new to take on.

The unionized environment requires a lot of attention to process and policy as well as people management.

There are many changes taking place as the company is experiencing a great deal of restructuring making long term career goals in management less viable over the next five years. As a unionized company the reductions will be based solely on seniority and not skill set or work history so for these reasons I am eager to explore new opportunities.
Pros
opportunities
Cons
downsizing and restructuring, seniority based advancement and reductions
competetive employer
Mail Sorter/ Machine Operator/ Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
i enjoy working at this place. you get to work with people of different cultures. Christmas time is good you a lot of hours/ ot. air conditioning in the summer time the only warehouse i work at that has ac.
Pros
its fun. simple and light
Cons
limited hours if your not permanent
Fun, Fast Paced
Post Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valleyview, ABDecember 14, 2015
Excellent Employer, Flexible, Great Benefits, Just not a lot of room for advancement and tough to get transfers if needed
Fun place, but you will be working hard.
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 6, 2016
A very physically hard job. 25km walking a day.
I learned to work on my own, working against physical elements.
Management has their own agenda.
Very supportive.
Getting started.
Walking around on a beautiful day.
Pros
Free exercise
Cons
Human rights issues
Productive and fun place to work
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMarch 1, 2016
Delivered mail door-door, loved meeting and getting to know my customers and their families. Co-workers were great to work with and management was easy to talk with.
Pros
working outside and meeting new people
Cons
too many rumours in workplace
Hard work,but rewarding
Mail Clerk, Mail Dispatcher, and Letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2016
I loved working at Canada Post! Everyday was new and exciting. In the span of a 37 year career, I was involved in every aspect of mail processing, the most challenging being a lettercarrier. It was an amazing and rewarding position, and I was constantly being approached on the street by people asking questions about my job. My coworkers were always very helpful, and I made many wonderful friend there.
Pros
Extremely rewarding at the end of the day-huge job satisfaction!
Cons
Very long hours sometimes, often in the most variable and extreme weather conditions.