Canada Post Employee Reviews

Personal Growth
Delivery Agent (DZ) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
On call schedule , not Preplanned
Learned Professionalism
Time management and route efficient
Early and late hours
great pay and benefits
clean and good trucks
Great job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 December 2017
Enjoyed working for the company and the people were all very friendly. Were flexible witth workélife balance, good shift hours, good benefits and pay grade
Multiple assignments with this firm have provided an interesting and varied work history
Manager, Supply Chain Engineering (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2017
Primarily Project management related work in conjunction with staff and internal Stakeholders.
It is a huge company, pace of reaction / change can sometimes be slower than one would prefer
Because the scope of Projects was typically nationwide, implementation completions / closeouts with positive results are very satisying
Pros
Varying projects dealing with a broad spectrum of issues
Cons
Sometimes long work hours
A place with such great untapped potential.
Superintendent of Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2017
Casual / on call status is the toughest stage to get through as hours are unpredictable especially for plant employee's. Delivery has more consistent hours however longer days.
Hard to get on full time.
RSMC (Current Employee) –  Grenville, QC4 December 2017
I am an RSMC on call would like to be working full time. Been working for Canada Post as a replacement off and on for 15yrs and trying to get on full time.
Operations / letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON4 December 2017
It was a great place to work and I would never leave if it wasn't for the fact that I could only get part time work. Pay is great and benefits are nice. The other issue was that there is no opportunity for advancement unless you are bilingual.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
short hours
I love working here!
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 December 2017
The job is never dull. It's always changing and the people are great.
There is lots of room for advancement or relocation and the pay and benefits are phenomenal.
Letter Carrier Duties
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON3 December 2017
Sorting and tying out Mail
Collating Neighbourhood Mail (Flyers)
Loading Mail, Parcels and Packets and Neighbourhood Mail in vehicle
Delivering above mentioned to businesses and/or residents
Performing customer pickups
Clearing mail from Retail Post Offices or Street Letter Boxes
Picking up mail from Retail Post Offices

I learned how to efficiently sort and deliver mail and parcels

Friendly and understanding supervisors

Hardest part of job - delivering heavy amounts of mail door-to-door, the excess mail and parcels to deliver on Monday and after long weekends and collating too many sets of flyers most days

Most enjoyable part of job - delivering mail to Community Mail Boxes and interacting with clients
Pros
Working independantly
Cons
Delivering heavy amount of mail door-to-door, Excess mail and parcels to be delivered on Mondays and after long weekends, Collating too many sets of flyers per day, Driving errors affects your personal driving record
Too much micro-management
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 November 2017
Depending on your position your day will start off usually around 8 am (I am term or "on call" so my day is 8-4) if you were lucky enough to get a call in the first place.

More than a few times I've come in, sat in the lunch room for 3 hours and was sent home with 3 hours pay due to "no work" which I do not believe to be true, there was always something to do if you looked hard enough.. also, you are assigned to work based on your seniority (your hire date) so if you're new like me, don't expect to work much.

If you were called in and got to work, your job consisted of gathering the mail from several different locations around the depot, sorting the mail into a case, then you had to sort flyers which, depending on your route and volume of flyers that day, could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours. After that, you are responsible for gathering little packets and large parcels. Typical volume will be around 35-40 packets and parcels per day, however some unlucky folk like myself have been on routes with more than 130 packages total. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy as a day like that leads to a lot of new people quitting.

Let's talk about Management. Your supervisors, if you can call them that, basically walk around shouting at the top of their lungs, loving the sound of their own voices, chastising you for things you haven't even done yet or never will do.

Every day I have reported to Canada Post I have seen at minimum one or two interactions between workers and supervisors and it's normally a toxic exchange. It seems like everybody
  more... is at each others throats for reasons I can't understand, nor do I care to.

If you apply for this job thinking it's going to be a piece of cake, you are dead wrong. This was my mindset going it and it turned out to be one of the hardest jobs I have ever done.

The hardest part of the job is the actual delivery part. Your satchel is only supposed to carry 35lbs, or that's what they tell you. In reality you'll be holding closer to 50-60+lbs on your shoulders for hours at a time. This is only if you've got nothing but letters in your bag. Packages are a whole different story.

I would say the best part of the job is minimal supervision once you're actually out delivering your route, however the toxic atmosphere of the depot really doesn't make it a perk and instead you tell yourself "thank God I'm not in that building anymore"

the pay is not worth the amount of stress and anxiety this company puts on you.
Pros
excercise, working outdoor
Cons
terrible management, working outdoors
Good
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 November 2017
The work is pretty basic and manual labour but it is nice not to have to manage other people or deal with customers. People are friendly and it's a good place to work
fun work place at Canada Post
RSMC (rural and suburban mail carrier) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2017
I work as Rural and Suburban Mail Career, it is a easy job some times we have to work longer hours but the pay is same, does not matter how much longer work hours. Work load is too much in the months of November and December, but there is no change in pay no matter how hard the work may be.
Pros
time is flexible
Cons
mostly longer hours work
Life changing
Mail delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleisle Creek, NB20 November 2017
help sort mail and load into car. Put the mail in the mail boxes and take mail out to be mailed from the post office. The hardest part would be dealing with the icy roads and shoveled mail boxes. The most enjoyable was meeting the many people on the route.
Pros
Being in my neiberhood
Great Company
Volume Counter (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 November 2017
I had fun working for Canada Post. I was there on one month contract and it was interesting learning and mail delivering. I would not hesitate working their.
Pros
Great people
Cons
on call hours
dying industry
Temporary Relief Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC17 November 2017
3 week training period they give you will not prepare you the demand of this job. you will be thrown in the lions den to fend for yourself. They will give you different route regularly and you will constantly go into those work days blind. It is an extremely frustrating and stressful job
Fun and fast
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 November 2017
It was a great place to work in. It was hard to lift heavy objects but was interesting to sort through the mail and look at where everything goes. Coworkers were great.
Great job
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
I loved working for Canada Post. I delivered mail, loved my customers and was able to get fit walking every day with a heavy load on my back. The inside work was stimulating and challenging
productive easy going
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 November 2017
working there was easy and it was based on stacking and loading parcels on to the truck , at time it would be crowded but nothing a two man team wouldnt easily finish
Pros
easy work
Volume Counter (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 November 2017
It was a fun place to work while it lasted. People were great and it was fun to learn how your mail gets to us. the only downside is that is on call but you get more hours with more time working there.
Supervision des opérations postales
Superviseur des opérations postales (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 November 2017
supervision des opérations de livraison et de traitement postales,
gestion quotidiennes (100 employés ) syndiqué , de plus j'ai aider à implanter avec une équipe le projet majeur de la transformation postale
Cons
pression constante et permanentes
Good but not much room for growth
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  500 Oakdale8 November 2017
Canada Post is a good job for those who love the outdoors. However dealing with elements can be tough: rain, snow, heat...

However there is not much room to grow in this company.
Pros
Outdoors on your own
Cons
No room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Post. Our community is ready to answer.