Canada Post Employee Reviews

Instant gratification at end of day return to Depot with empty vehicle.
Suburban Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Every day is different. Flats and letter mail are sorted into the case. Once completed then the sequenced mail is bundled together with the corresponding letter mail, according to postal codes, into appropriate stops.Packets and Parcels are then numbered according to Stops distinguishing which items are for signature, safe drop, collect, leave at the door or parcel box. All mail, packets, parcels and flyers are loaded into your vehicle and transported to appropriate sites. The PDT scanner is used to identify each postal box cleared and how each packet and parcel are delivered.
Pros
good benefits, supplied uniforms
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting
constant change to meet customer needs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 October 2016
Canada Post prime focus is the parcel industry...letter mail volumes have decreased and NM has increased
Responsible for daily staffing, payroll
Provide support and knowledge in the delivery of products.
Address customer needs
Insure products meet the appropriate time frame
Firm believer of being a team player
Complete tasks within required time frame
Pros
Excellent support from do-workers
Cons
by choice work extra hours to complete tasks
Productive and Fun place to work
Mail Service Courier / Postal Clerk (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2016
Typical day is sorting of thousands of mail and meeting daily quota.
Able to rotate and learn other processing machinery. Management seek to make working environment conducive to work in. Me and my co-workers all get along which makes the environment comfortable. The hardest part of the job is that its a call on basis not much hours and the most enjoyable part of the job is working with my colleagues who are fantastic
Pros
Cons
Short hours
A decent job
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 September 2016
I would say that canada post has a few drawbacks. Yes, as a new employee you may not get consistent work. However, like most jobs you must put in your time. Once you have been there for a while you get to choose when and what you work. The management is useless almost all the time. Regardless, you can almost always count on your co-workers to help you with every aspect of the job. There will be difficult days, and the stress when you start can be overwhelming. I personally, have gotten used to it and find the job quite easy now that I have got the hang of it. I would recommend applying if you like the outdoors and want to get paid to exercise.
Pros
No supervisors breathing down your neck every hour of the day.
Cons
Injuries can easily happen, be careful
Inside work is awful but outside is much better
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
I come to work and set up my flyers and route I will be working. My co-workers will be angry and yelling about something to someone including management. Toxic environment to work in. I load up my mail and head to vehicle. After that its amazing. No supervising at that point however during winter we are forced to work overtime and have very little life outside of work. Spring thru Fall is way better to work then winter. The only thing I like is salary and benefits. Everything is terrible.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Injuries is expected
Bootcamp like environment
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2016
Supervisors are 'trained' to conduct themselves like a bootcamp environment. They will not take in consideration the employees opinions and suggestions. Upper management have no compassion for employees personal issues and will discipline regardless of situation. They do not allow employees to communicate amongst one another. They are told to go back to their work station to work. Do not follow health and safety regulations.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Do not care about employees
Work- life - balance
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
When I have a project a typical day is prioritize duties according to the stage of the project. I usually have an early conversation with my team (union, supervisors and colleges), to review the duties and meet the time lines for that day.
I learned our company is evolving in order to be more competitive and be number one in collection and delivery.
My co-workers are very cooperative and the hardest part of the job is when the systems we used to work failed because head office has to deal with and sometimes, we can miss a day of work and projects usually have time lines per stage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations I built at all levels of the organization as my department is the most important in the postal transformation so I deal with Directors, Managers, Superintendent, Supervisors and the Union.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Dead times
A job/career that has kept me in fit shape both physically and mentally .
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 October 2016
I truly enjoyed almost every single day that I spent at the post office. My best memories were the many years that I was a letter carrier. Winter , spring , summer , and fall.
Pros
working outdoors and delivery mail and parcels.
Cons
Some very long and challenging days in deep snow and hard rain days.
Not friendly at all
RELIEF MAIL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 September 2016
This job was about as bad as it gets - most post offices are dusty and old with fiberglass hanging out of the walls. Management do not have answers to a lot of issues that arise during the day and are bogged down with bureaucratic paperwork to even care about postal employees.
Pros
Job is mindless and easy and you're usually done by 2:00pm
Cons
Everything else
Temporary Letter Carrier
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2016
I would not recommend working as a temporary letter carrier. Your on call with no guarantee of work. You can go foe 1 month with no calls.

Avoid this place it is a very toxic work environment. Management lies and will do whatever they can to get away with things.

They are not to be trust many people get harrassed for silly things.
Pros
Pay 19.56 to start not worth it
Cons
Manager who will lie, imposssible to finish on time and get yelled at for bringing back mail and over time.
Wonderful outdoor, people friendly environment.
Delivery Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2016
Great to be working outside and to be dealing with the public on a daily basis. I truly enjoy this job. The sorting and the time at the depot can be a bit boring but at the same time hectic. The true joy of this job is being outside, delivering door to door and meeting the customers along your route.
Enjoyable and Healthy Work Environment
Mail Plant Labourer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2016
The work itself and co-workers are great. Best job i've had yet. The only downsides are that my position is on-call and I don't receive nearly as many hours as I would like to. Would definitely work here full-time and year-round if only I could.
Pros
The Work itself.
Cons
Very few actual hours.
Delivery Agent, (Temporary/Casual on Call) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2016
Great compny with lots of chance to grow. Very physical nature of job which requires healthy and happy person. Nature of job is little dangerous but if you are performing your job with attention to your soundings you can avoid job related injuries.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Physically demanding
Fun place to work with good people, pay, and benefits, but very demanding job
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
I had a lot of fun working with Canada Post. I met some great people working there however the job itself is very demanding. The pay is good and you get great benefits after a 480 hour probationary period, however It is not for everybody, especially in the beginning when you are a casual/on call employee. You just have to tough it out to make part time/full time and get your own route. I found the worst part was having to work a new route every assignment, and having to deliver mail from morning till night in freezing winter temperatures with supervisors breathing over your shoulder complaining about you doing too much overtime. This made it very stressful at times but if you are up to the challenge this is a great job for you.
Pros
Good people, good pay, benefits
Cons
Demanding job, long hours, working outdoors(in the winter), high expectations from supervisors
Relaxed working environment
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB18 July 2016
A very flexible place to work at. The days are as long as you determine them to be. If you work fast, then you are done for the day. If you go slower then your day is longer. It is up to you to decide. The hardest part of the job is Christmas time but its not for an extended period of time. The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get out on your route and its just you and your music.
Pros
Great benefits
great benefits
Superviseur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2016
Great place to work outside management. Unfortunately existing management. Harassment and favouritism comes to play within management group (Montreal ) as for it`s policies and work environment as a company I do consider it a top company to work for.
Pros
great benefits along with good working conditions
Cons
be aware of favouritism if advancement is what you are looking for
Difficult environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Canada Post is a dynamic working environment. It is a good mix of public and private sector. On the other hand, there is uncertainty related to the business along with the impacts the possible work stoppage might have long term on the organization. Budget constraints makes it very hard to innovate. More of an old fashion type working environment.
a mix of Improvement Potential but not without a sense of Jeopardy
Middle Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 July 2016
Best paid indoor jobs within humane and high tech facilities.
Lots of management tools available but could use some on hands on training to benefit effectively. Now beginning to grow increasingly in paper pushing management staff instead of talented, front line, hands on teamleaders. Union has grown to be the major stumbling block for competitiveness of the organization in the global market.
Horrible Employer
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2016
I worked for Canada Post for over 10 years and as soon as I got sick and need multiple surgeries and went on disability I was treated horrible by my supervisors. The benefits and pay was good. They are horrible to deal with when it comes to communication. If you need to speak with someone in the office you are put through to an answering machine and no one ever calls you back. I am now retiring and was told that I owe over $900.00 in over payment. I called and finally spoke with someone yesterday and now I owe $1,900.00??! I am a sick person with bills to pay and medical bills to pay and now they want to rob me of $1,900.00? I have not received a statement in the mail in months to provide me with a reason or a break down as to what this charge is for.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible communication. Stressful environment. Rude management.
fun and independed
Clerk/ CSC/ Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 August 2016
Over the years I have gained independence, knowledge and experience working for Canada Post along with patience. Canada Post needs to work on expanding business then cutting back and taking services away from customers who have had this service for years.
Pros
Pension and a decent pay
Cons
to many managers at the top