Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Middle Management is an obstacle for career progress and overall growth
PRODUCTION SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2017
Middle Management is an obstacle for career progress and overall growth - My review relates to the IT department. I have had close to no exposure to other departments.
Good place to Learn the corporate lifestyle.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2017
It was a good place to learn how the corporate lifestyle is towards software development.

it helps us learn if it is something we enjoy or not, how to deal with it and how to detach our self from decisions that CEOs take even if, to our point of view, they are shortsighted.

it was an enlightening time, albeit short, and a very pleasant one. The people, the work and challenges were all opportunity to shine.

Sadly, by my own experience, I rarely saw opportunity to advance even if I was rated above the requirements of my postings in multiple reviews.
Pros
the people, the things you learn, the guidance of the senior in my field of work.
Cons
heavily corporated way of doing things
Productive work place going through a Technology Transformation
Enterprise Technology Architect (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2016
A crown Corporation doing good work with a solid mission statement " The Heart of a World-Leading Housing System". An organization of hard working people who are dedicated to their work. Overall a good corporate culture although from a Technology perspective they are going through a modernization transformation which will be a challenge. Great work location Great people.
Pros
Flexible work hours, good pay & performance bonuses
Cons
Limited opportunity in IT due to transformation to an outsource IT service provider
Variety of work in a necessary social and financial atmosphere.
Technical Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver27 August 2015
Good place for trained professionals.Creative work environment with a healthy management succession program.The corp did not support the continuation of satelite offices or work at home environment. Often their policies differed as the upper management (CEO level) changed over the years.The most difficult part of the job was not bringing home with you the obvious trouble of the clients they were serving. The best part of the job were the co-workers, team environment and ablility to actually change peoples lives by appying the programs available.
Productive and fun workplace
Regional Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary3 March 2015
A dynamic and divers work environment where I could successfully apply and develop my skills and knowledge within a hard working and friendly team
Fun workplace
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheppard and Yonge7 October 2014
Comfortable place to work
I did mail room work and learned a lot
Great environment to grow and learn
Client Service Representative, Social Housing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2014
Busy environment, dealing with accountants, lawyers,banking institutions. Maintaining a portfolio of 1500 accounts, I dealt with Corporate Accounts, also with Aboriginal Accounts, and homeowners.

My co-workers were like my own family, we all were able to work harmoniously always ready to help.
Pros
work hours, extra work hours and we were able to take one day off every two weeks
Cons
contract work
Caring work environment
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB26 September 2013
There is a unique, fun dynamic between co-workers that happens after the work day is complete.
Highly productive place almost like a sweat shop with something happening new each day.
Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2013
This would be the ideal place to work if you desire challenge on a daily basis. CMHC is highly motivated in acquiring diverse people to match their organization culture. Co-workers are very helpful and accommodating majority of the times. Lunch time cool walk to Yonge & Sheppard Centre, get some shopping done and take the load off.
Pros
Lots of free lunches due to organized committee social events.
Cons
Must be able, ready and willing to work overtime to meet daily mandate.
Flexible but busy environment
Reporting Analyst on HR Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2012
Government - so some people might expect slow working pace. Not in this case. Busy and quite hectic. Was lucky to work with very technically advanced individuals. My boss expected a lot, but was keeping herself very busy and was available whenever I needed her. I was a contract employee, so I had different perspective
Pros
flexible hours, caffeteria
Cons
if you can not deliver, it might not be for you
Good, friendly professional environment with client oriented goals.
Technical Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver15 June 2012
In my 11 year time there I found the work to be stimulating but sometimes stagnant. The process of mid and year end reviews I found cumbersome and the feedback useless. I learned to be confident and accepting of others (cultures,ideas) but found that the private sector is often not consulted nor emulated. I found my co-workers to be helpful, dedicated and creative. Most intermediate managers I found to staunch and poorly prepared for change. Higher level management on the other hand I found to be knowledgeable, honest, friendly and very professional in attitude. The most difficult part of the job was the rigid work schedules - should be more flexible.I enjoyed the interaction with other departments and the meeting of clients having special interests in the programs. Town meetings were the most boring part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patio bar-b-ques. Seriously, achieving the goals that were set out and networking with co-workers was the most enjoyable part of working there.
Pros
free thinking atmosphere where input is actually encouraged.
Cons
stuffy, rigid time scheduling
Excellent employer.
Sr. Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2012
Good place to
work; lots of travel throughout BC
Learned about different cultures through CMHC's employees from differnt cultural backgrounds
Excvellent co-workers
Hardest part wasd retiring
Most enjoyabe being at work every day.