(Job Posting Notice 13-02)
Reporting to the Malting Manager, the Lab Technician is responsible for providing technical development and support, instrument set up and maintenance for methods common to our industry, performing lab tests on in-process and finished malt in order to maintain product quality and compliance to customer specifications, accumulating and processing analytical data for laboratory reports and communicating variations form quality standards to the appropriate Quality Control and Productions personnel, and conducting special testing of an investigative nature in order to react to problems in the malting process. This role requires shift-work.
- Perform malt and barley analysis in accordance with established methods and procedures in order to maintain product quality and compliance with customer specifications.
- Perform advanced analytical and instrumentation techniques.
- Maintain integrity and calibration of laboratory instruments and troubleshoot technical problems in the laboratory.
- Accumulate and process data for lab reports and communicate quality variations to appropriate QA personnel.
- Maintain integrity of all laboratory records.
- Actively participate in developing and maintaining QA Systems encompassing the quality principles outlined by the International Standards Organisation, with emphasis on documentation and preparation of SOP’s.
- Maintain a clean and orderly workstation.
- Complete general quality control and laboratory related tasks as directed.
- Order and receive laboratory supplies. Maintain appropriate documentation.
- Interact with all plant departments to facilitate the quality control function.
- Effectively train personnel in all areas of malt lab analyses.
- Perform all other duties or special assignments that are deemed necessary.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Must have 2 to 3 years’ experience working in an analytical lab, with advanced analytical instrumentation.
- Must have worked in a laboratory environment within the previous 2 years.
- Must have previous experience running a GC, and/or other advanced analytical instrumentation.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer, skills to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must be able to pass a basic lab competency exam.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to proactively identify potential solutions
- The ability to communicate effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Laboratory Practices
- A Bachelor of Science degree with a major in a chemistry related field.
- A diploma in a lab technology related field may be considered, if based in the study of a pure chemistry.
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume by end of day Sunday, December 2, 2012:
All job descriptions are in the process of being reviewed and updated. Requirements of this position may change in the future.
Clause 3.02A of the collective agreement will apply.