Canada Malting Company
POSITION TITLE Safety Specialist – Contract
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
POSITION SCOPE: Reporting to the North American Manager of Safety & Corporate Sustainability, the Safety Specialist is responsible for providing hands-on strategic guidance and support to the North American grain, logistics, brewing supply, and malt manufacturing locations by supporting safety interactions and promoting GrainCorp’s overall health and safety plan. The Safety Specialist will also provide strategic guidance on project initiatives. The successful candidate will also provide leadership in the implementation of the OHSAS 18001 and accompanying the document control management system.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties include the following:
- Anticipate, identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices.
- Develop hazard control designs, methods, procedures and programs to promote safe behavior and outcomes.
- Assist operational sites to meet their goals and create a safe & productive working environment by assisting site management implementing, administering and advising their EH&S programs.
- Provide direction to the North American implementation of the OHSAS 18001 including development of the document control management system.
- Measure, audit and evaluate the effectiveness of EH&S programs.
- Provide day-to-day health and safety management support and guidance to North American operational sites.
- Develop overall safety strategy to achieve corporate and legal goals for each location.
- Coordinate with workers’ compensation insurers and plant staff to reduce the cost of worker’s compensation coverage and claims.
- Conducts studies and analysis of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Provide hands-on strategic guidance & support to operational departments.
- Develop, implement and maintain safety standards & procedures.
- Aid operational sites to achieve compliance and determine the effects on the site operations of governmental & corporate; laws, policies, standards and procedures.
- Maintain hands on knowledge of each facility’s OHS challenges by conducting regular audits. Assisting operational sites in developing & delivering effective site based safety and health training that promote safe behavior. Ensure safety training, policies, standards and procedures are implemented and maintained in a uniform manner.
- Regularly report to the North American Manager of Safety & Corporate Sustainability concerning accidents, safety program status and other important safety & health issues.
- Coordinate safety training of plant management.
- Develop, implement and report the results of ongoing audits and other performance measurement tools.
- Develop a working knowledge in other key compliance areas such as; environment, food safety/HACCP & DOT and Fire/Casualty Loss Inspections.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years occupational health and safety leadership experience.
- 3 to 4 years’ experience in an operations environment.
- The ability to travel to locations in the USA and Canada.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of USA and Labour Canada safety regulations and environmental regulations
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong computer skills. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
- Self-starter and team player.
- Experience working and facilitation teams within an ISO, HACCP environment.
- French language skills a plus.
- Knowledge of environmental management systems, worker’s compensation loss control and fire safety.
EDUCATION: BS or BA in Safety or a related field or CSP or equivalent certification.
COMPENSATION: A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided.
LENGTH OF TERM: 12-18 month Contract with the possibility of extension or permanent full-time employment.
CONTACT: Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume by end of day January 25, 2013 to:
Indeed - 18 months ago