Canada Computers Employee Reviews

Fairly new supervisors prospective.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON19 March 2017
Many of the reviews fouled the ball. Looking at the reviews that state there is no room to progress is really not true.

Canada Computers has been expanding its reachs rapidly over the last couple of years. Head office is always looking for trustworthy and hardworking individuals to move into leadership roles. However, from my own experience, many employees are not ready for said role. If you believe that you should be able to walk into a role or given a management role based on your sales performance, you are sadly mistaken. Canada Computers does value your work performance but not in the form of a promotion. Management is given to those who show leadership character. "Works well with a team" "teaches others with ease" "can make proper decisions". Etc.

Anyways, I do enjoy working with Canada Computers. Technology is always growing and fun to learn as well as the staff members are great. Though working in management can be very under valued at times and exhausting. Hours are long and there is no compensation for overtime hours. Most of the reward from the job comes from ensuring employees are taken care of and customers are assisted. If you're a hardworking dedicated individual that shows leadership potential, then this is a job for you. But, if you're easily swayed then don't bother.
Pros
>Benefits >Paid Vacations >Anual Party > Employee Pricing
Cons
>Long Hrs >Pay is "Ok" >Managment needs to be taken care of more >High stress levels
Productive and fun Environmental place
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
I had great expericene working with this company where they have innovatice , friendly and hardworking management. The unlikely part of this job for me was less working hours with minimum salary.I enjoyed each and every part of my job.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Less Salary
There are definitely worse places.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 January 2017
If you read through reviews about the various locations of Canada Computers you'll find most of the negative reviews will point to Head Office issues. Contacting them, policies in place, shipping, etc. things that the stores don't have really any control over. This sucks because it's the employees at those stores that are forced to hear about it; and customers expect them to fix it.

Most employees love to help customers and try their best to put on a smile, but I've seen even the nicest of people reach their limit and just question the common sense of certain customers. IT is a complex field sometimes. Worked with both amazing and not so amazing people, like any retail job, and that's what really makes or break your day-to-day atmosphere.

- 40-44 hours with pretty consistent days off each week.
- Salary is nothing to complain about, any sort of raise above minimum wage is good to have.
- Full-Time benefits (used to be better a couple years back).
- Learned lots about electronics, of all kinds.
- Managers try their best, but don't always hit the mark.
- Typical retail complaints.
Pros
Good people, cool stuff, relaxed work place.
Cons
Entitled/stubborn customers, Head Office, Holiday season (send help)
Enjoyable with the right staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
be prepared to stand all day! Overall the job isn't bad if you are into technology! Just as long as the staff and management are cool, it isn't a bad place to work at. Just beware, policies and benefits change...and it has been going downhill in recent times.
Pros
Tech
Cons
Hours aren't as flexible, long shifts...but to each their own
Not exactly enjoyable
Sales Associate/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  North York, ON23 August 2016
I would not recommend anyone to work at Canada Computers, let alone any hardware stores. They've all become obsessed with the notion of selling warranties and really pushing that front.

The atmosphere wasn't great at my place of work. Aside from the great co-workers, the rest of my tasks were menial and all came down to paying us very little for our knowledge, those who did know quite a bit of PC hardware.
Cons
Long hours, no paid breaks. Below average atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario Canada8 August 2016
Place i would recommend to anyone

People are pleasant and they help you with the work till you cant.

Management likes to be hands on.
Horrible Employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2016
Management and Headoffice always in disarray, no-one to talk to about HR issues, HR changed over 4 times in my two years with the company.

Asked for a raise and was offered a 10 cent increase.

Don't waste your time goto NCIX or Bestbuy instead
Great co-workers, garbage management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 June 2016
I suppose you can gain a lot of customer service from this job however it shouldn't be your first pick for picking. Just about everyone here is being paid minimum wage, there's zero growth unless you're with the company for almost a decade and manager is too cheap to give raises.

You'll be hired for a position and then possibly moved into a different division of the store with no raise or notice until last minute. You get zero recognition for your work so don't bother going above and beyond. It's a minimum wage job with minimum requirements.

There will be days where the store has almost no customers and sales would be blamed and verbally attacked that they can't reach their goal. That's beyond anyone's control so understand the situation before you make accusations. Luckily for all the employees, those are deserve to be fired are not fired because management is desperate for people.
Pros
Lots of hours, co-workers
Cons
Long shifts, low wage, management
Fun workplace for any and all computer enthusiasts
Sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2016
Work consists of sales mostly and helping customers find items and talking to them about computers and other related technologies. Co-workers are also like minded people interested in computer systems and there possible applications. Management is nice and accommodating to employees but too lenient in some areas. Hardest part of the job would be re-tagging the store (not that it's difficult in the first place) and the most enjoyable part of work would be discussing computer systems with customers and employees alike.
Pros
Flexible hours, No hard labour, Good co-workers
Cons
Tasks are not well enforced leading to things not being done for days/weeks
Unreasonable with no room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 February 2016
- only a place to get temporary financial aid
- negative work culture depending on which store you work at
- high expectations for productivity yet does not compensate demand with proper income
Pros
won't ever fire you
Cons
won't fire people who needs to be fired
Great prospects, rocky Head Office
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON14 October 2015
Canada Computers was the first job where I actually felt like I could use it as a permanent career, sadly they switched off a hard commission style and although they stuck with a great starting wage it was no where near what I was making before and caused lots of personal stress.

Co-Workers were on and off good and bad, although everyone was competent and fun to work with there was a lot of school yard antics and backstabbing going on.
Pros
Great starting pay, Busy enviroment never boring
Cons
Staff can be a bit cuthroat, Head Office can be difficult to deal with
A Tech Heaven Run by the Wrong People
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2015
As a Service Technician I got to build and repair computers for a living. It was a tech heaven. I got to get my hands on the latest and greatest hardware and really enjoyed my day to day work. I got to converse with customers about computer parts and help guide them on their choices. Essentially I got paid to talk about what I love and to build awesome systems.

The pay was better than any other retail computer technician job I have ever been at. The raises were few and far between but were massive when you got them. I went up by $4.25 an hour in the 3 1/2 years I worked there.

The downside was the management and the higher ups at head office. Few if any people that were supervisors, store managers or at head office knew how to do their job properly. Their screwups made my job harder every day because I constantly had to call customers and let them know things would take way longer than it should have if it had to do with RMA's or special order parts.
Pros
Get to play with a lot of fun toys, great pay and raises
Cons
poor management and higher ups
Great place to work, poor management
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 August 2015
Worked as tech for one month, you get to work with the latest technology, direct interaction with customers which was fun.

A typical day at work included a number of PCs to troubleshoot, answer customer calls, build new custom PCs. Return items. Calling customers

I learned how to interact with Canadian customers.
Management was Chinese and it was difficult to understand instructions because of English spoken in Chinese accent.

The hardest part was entering returns from customers in the online software.

Most enjoyable part was building High configuration computer systems.

Co-workers were very good, but the existing Techs were clearly jealous and insecure.

I was fired when I was actually starting to get a better understanding of what was required from me.
Pros
Get to work with latest technology
Cons
Uncooperative managemet
Great Place to Work
Computer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, Ontario24 July 2015
This is one of the best places to start building a career in technology. Both the customers and staff make the job extremely fulfilling and working with the most up to date technology provides you with a great groundwork.
Its a different style to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton18 March 2015
Canada Computers is a stressful environment driven by success however, the company needs to learn to keep the stress level down and assist management with it. the job culture is not the greatest when i worked their however, they are always looking for new ways to improve. if you have patients to wait and improve with them than its a great opportunity.
Pros
Great way to improve computer knowledge
Cons
very stressful environment
Pretty good working experience, mid management
Senior Sales - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 February 2015
Great to talk computers with customers, learned a lot of computer hardware/software knowledge, hardest part of the job is to dealt with problematic customers.

Most enjoyable of the job is to find newest technology daily.
Most latest technological environment
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2014
It is a good place to work. Everyday work with a new problem and solving part. Experience from co-worker as well as from customer too. The most hardest part is customer handling and talking over phone.
Pros
Able to learn new product
Cons
Long our
Unprofessional
Sales (Former Employee) –  Waterloo8 September 2014
They let me go through email which was directed to my spam inbox, I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for my colleague asking why I wasn't on schedule.
Productive environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 July 2014
We work as part as a team and everyone is motivated to do their best at work. Staff and Management are both supportive and co-operative.
Pros
Knowledge enhancing working environment and continuous updating in IT and products
Cons
Pre-set work schedule and vacations are difficult to obtain
time is fexible
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2014
what you learned:

can learned different skills on there

a typical day at work:

with different person work together

2.9