Canada Computers Employee Reviews

A Tech Heaven Run by the Wrong People
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 11, 2015
As a Service Technician I got to build and repair computers for a living. It was a tech heaven. I got to get my hands on the latest and greatest hardware and really enjoyed my day to day work. I got to converse with customers about computer parts and help guide them on their choices. Essentially I got paid to talk about what I love and to build awesome systems.

The pay was better than any other retail computer technician job I have ever been at. The raises were few and far between but were massive when you got them. I went up by $4.25 an hour in the 3 1/2 years I worked there.

The downside was the management and the higher ups at head office. Few if any people that were supervisors, store managers or at head office knew how to do their job properly. Their screwups made my job harder every day because I constantly had to call customers and let them know things would take way longer than it should have if it had to do with RMA's or special order parts.
Pros
Get to play with a lot of fun toys, great pay and raises
Cons
poor management and higher ups
Great co-workers, garbage management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 22, 2016
I suppose you can gain a lot of customer service from this job however it shouldn't be your first pick for picking. Just about everyone here is being paid minimum wage, there's zero growth unless you're with the company for almost a decade and manager is too cheap to give raises.

You'll be hired for a position and then possibly moved into a different division of the store with no raise or notice until last minute. You get zero recognition for your work so don't bother going above and beyond. It's a minimum wage job with minimum requirements.

There will be days where the store has almost no customers and sales would be blamed and verbally attacked that they can't reach their goal. That's beyond anyone's control so understand the situation before you make accusations. Luckily for all the employees, those are deserve to be fired are not fired because management is desperate for people.
Pros
Lots of hours, co-workers
Cons
Long shifts, low wage, management
Fun workplace for any and all computer enthusiasts
Sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 12, 2016
Work consists of sales mostly and helping customers find items and talking to them about computers and other related technologies. Co-workers are also like minded people interested in computer systems and there possible applications. Management is nice and accommodating to employees but too lenient in some areas. Hardest part of the job would be re-tagging the store (not that it's difficult in the first place) and the most enjoyable part of work would be discussing computer systems with customers and employees alike.
Pros
Flexible hours, No hard labour, Good co-workers
Cons
Tasks are not well enforced leading to things not being done for days/weeks
Not exactly enjoyable
Sales Associate/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 23, 2016
I would not recommend anyone to work at Canada Computers, let alone any hardware stores. They've all become obsessed with the notion of selling warranties and really pushing that front.

The atmosphere wasn't great at my place of work. Aside from the great co-workers, the rest of my tasks were menial and all came down to paying us very little for our knowledge, those who did know quite a bit of PC hardware.
Cons
Long hours, no paid breaks. Below average atmosphere
Unreasonable with no room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 4, 2016
- only a place to get temporary financial aid
- negative work culture depending on which store you work at
- high expectations for productivity yet does not compensate demand with proper income
Pros
won't ever fire you
Cons
won't fire people who needs to be fired
Horrible Employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 21, 2016
Management and Headoffice always in disarray, no-one to talk to about HR issues, HR changed over 4 times in my two years with the company.

Asked for a raise and was offered a 10 cent increase.

Don't waste your time goto NCIX or Bestbuy instead
Average pay, but always expected to do more.
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 7, 2013
As the Manager I was to oversee the staff and day to day operations. However, the way that upper management viewed us, we were to be on call 24/7 and expected to work overtime hours without any compensation other than "It's what we expect.".
In this job I learned how to manage resources, staff and finances. I always put safety first and worked hard.
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I was working in a computer retail environment, I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did.
The company was managed in a way that if you didn't fit into their racial culture, there would always be some push back. The upper-management I felt always talked down to us. I enjoyed interacting with our regular customers and developing a relationship with them.
Pros
employee discount on purchases
Cons
very long hours, extremely high expectations, constantly worked feeling that everything i did was not enough.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario CanadaAugust 8, 2016
Place i would recommend to anyone

People are pleasant and they help you with the work till you cant.

Management likes to be hands on.
Great place to work, poor management
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 4, 2015
Worked as tech for one month, you get to work with the latest technology, direct interaction with customers which was fun.

A typical day at work included a number of PCs to troubleshoot, answer customer calls, build new custom PCs. Return items. Calling customers

I learned how to interact with Canadian customers.
Management was Chinese and it was difficult to understand instructions because of English spoken in Chinese accent.

The hardest part was entering returns from customers in the online software.

Most enjoyable part was building High configuration computer systems.

Co-workers were very good, but the existing Techs were clearly jealous and insecure.

I was fired when I was actually starting to get a better understanding of what was required from me.
Pros
Get to work with latest technology
Cons
Uncooperative managemet
Fun place to work, needs improvements
Sales (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONOctober 3, 2012
a fun place to work if you love computers. A typical day is pretty low stress and predictable. We are incredibly under staffed and a lot is expected of each employee. The company treats employees as robots, not people. Work hours are rough, scheduling is unpredictable, management is childish and passive aggressive.

Geeking out with customers and cowokers is the greatest part. You spend time around the things you love and you learn something new every day.
Pros
competitive salary
Cons
only one 30 min break per shift, unless 10 hours or more
Great prospects, rocky Head Office
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ONOctober 14, 2015
Canada Computers was the first job where I actually felt like I could use it as a permanent career, sadly they switched off a hard commission style and although they stuck with a great starting wage it was no where near what I was making before and caused lots of personal stress.

Co-Workers were on and off good and bad, although everyone was competent and fun to work with there was a lot of school yard antics and backstabbing going on.
Pros
Great starting pay, Busy enviroment never boring
Cons
Staff can be a bit cuthroat, Head Office can be difficult to deal with
Its a different style to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  HamiltonMarch 18, 2015
Canada Computers is a stressful environment driven by success however, the company needs to learn to keep the stress level down and assist management with it. the job culture is not the greatest when i worked their however, they are always looking for new ways to improve. if you have patients to wait and improve with them than its a great opportunity.
Pros
great way to improve computer knowledge
Cons
very stressful environment
Great Place to Work
Computer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, OntarioJuly 24, 2015
This is one of the best places to start building a career in technology. Both the customers and staff make the job extremely fulfilling and working with the most up to date technology provides you with a great groundwork.
Fun to work with CC if you're a nerd, but overall "meh" experience
Supervisor and/or Acting-Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
A typical day at work was one that was overloaded, understaffed, frustrating, too often unsafe, and even just entirely nonsensical. What made it bearable were my fantastic co-workers, and a sense of satisfaction from helping grateful clients. During my time with CC, I honed my 6th sense for customer satisfaction, learned about operating a store, and learned to run a company like an evil corporatist!

Reconciling my personal beliefs with the head office style of operation was my greatest difficulty. In essence, the company is run much like an authoritarian dictatorship turning a profit at the expense of the physical and mental health of its employees (especially managers). Not only did most staff have little to no means of contesting their crazy policies, poor attitudes, and general disrespect and inattention (other than threatening with legal action), they were dismissed and even somewhat shunned people for pressing matters further.

The stores are typically understaffed, workloads are defined by impossible standards, and if certain criteria were not met the punishment was either severe to one's standing or compensation was cut. For example, even though most factors about certain store issues were out of my store hands (clientele demographics, store location and size), my bonuses were stripped away based on what was a biased and convoluted grading system by HO-designated individuals that had no previous reason to be involved in those operations. Plus, even though the end was customer satisfaction, I was repeatedly met with bureaucratic red-tape, conflicting policies, and a lot
  more... of full-circle "talk to this person" looping.

Moreover, not once in the 2+ years did HO send out any from HR to check on health and safety standards of their stores, truly campaign to better relations between them and the rest of the stores, and resolve their arguably illegal aspects of their operation. Instead, they ignored our repeated calls for help until we broke policy and took matters into our own hands, they made it more convoluted to earn commissions and bonuses (and easier to lose them), and I doubt the owner would be making millions if he paid a fair share to those he owes.
Pros
i got to touch and sell fancy toys, and help people with real problems
Cons
i absolutely hated the head office culture
Terrible Management / 8-9 Shifts / No Overtime
Senior Sales/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2014
It was a terrible place to work. What can I say? You need to speak an Asian language in order to work there to understand emails or anything management says. They don't even speak English in most morning meetings. I didnt get one cent paid while I worked there. The management shows no compassion whatsoever if you have a death in the family or problems at work. Stay very far away from this company.
Pros
i am not working for them anymore
Cons
they are still in business
Great People to work with
Sales / Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2012
Canada Computers like any company has its ups and downs. The people that I've had the privilege to work with directly are some of the best I've ever worked with, and are really what make going to work every day worth while. Due to long hours most days there isn't really a good work / life balance and most of us get home exhausted at then end of a typical 9 to 10 hour day with only a 30 minute break. The pay is acceptable though constant changing of commission structure is making it harder and harder to earn a decent living. I've had fellow employee's describe it like working at Best Buy or Staples, but we have to answer exceptionally specific question from customers. The expectation from head office is about sales numbers with little regard for customer service, so it's a good thing that most store employee's care about our customers. There was a time when the commision structure didn't change every 2 months and the most employee's worked 4 day weeks which made for great work / life balance. unfortunately those days are gone for now.
Pros
great people to work with, excellent place to learn about new products, great for gaining troubleshooting skills
Cons
hours are long, currently understaffed, the knowledge level requested by customers isn't befitting of the pay
Great place to gain Experience
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 9, 2013
A typical day as a technician for Canada Computers will keep you busy. There is always a ton of computers to be fixed, defective hardware to be tested, steady questions from customers, and occasionally some custom computer builds for customers.

This is a good position to help grow your knowledge and to stay current with technology and tools.

The management is top notch for all 4 stores in Ottawa. The best part is, as a technician, you are free to fix things how you like. You aren't micro managed and they rarely bother you or give you any kind of hard time.

The co workers are awesome too and very much into new tech and toys. The staff made it fun to come to work!

The hardest part of the job was dealing with very technical questions from customers both on the phone and in person, while doing returns, and still trying to fix computers through out the day. Its hard to balance it all. If I couldve been locked in a room and just fixed computers, it wouldve been a lot easier.

The best part was the freedom to use your own techniques and software. They provide everything you need, and have parts readily available for testing. The more money you bring in for service revenue, the bigger your bonus is.
Pros
good environment, good discount
Cons
comission and bonus rates change often
Productive environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 26, 2014
We work as part as a team and everyone is motivated to do their best at work. Staff and Management are both supportive and co-operative.
Pros
knowledge enhancing working environment and continuous updating in it and products
Cons
pre-set work schedule and vacations are difficult to obtain
Decent work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto,ONMarch 13, 2014
Ideal if you speak cantonese. Most who work there are nice. There's nothing difficult about the job.
Cons
Friendly and fun working environment.
Business Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2013
-Standard 9-6 working environment.
-Enhanced general adminitration skills, communication skills, stratigic management.
-Co-Workers are friendly
-Manager is very supportive
-It's a developing company that everyone puts into effort to grow it.

2.9